Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,421 to 24,440 of 38,696 messages
13/02/2013 at 19:43

Thanks to SBD, OGL, TR and Poacher for your wise comments.  Considering what you have said and what I feel needs to be done to improve on last year then I am going pretty much go with the recommendation.  I'll do it progressively I think so probably goes something like weekly like:

9, 11, LSR; 10, 12, LSR; 9, 13 LSR; 10, 14, LSR......

As time goes on that shorter 'MLR' needs to incorporate some quality as well.  Either hill reps with a few miles at MP to finish or a 5mile tempo section.

Good blizzard running SBD and OGL.  I had freezing conditions but no snow - hat and gloves stayed on.

Oh dear Poacher, not the kind of email you wanted.

13/02/2013 at 19:46

Minni, thanks for that. I am trying to sort out vets status at the moment: any advice on Vets AC versus Southern Vets AC?

13/02/2013 at 19:59
No idea about Vets PMJ. I have looked into joining the NE but I'm not old enough yet....
13/02/2013 at 20:15
We believe you Minni!

BikeIt, I don't think you can go wrong with a 12-15 MLR, a 10mile with tempo miles in it, an LSR (including some consecutive day LSRs later in the campaign) and then easy miles as recovery runs in between.

Poacher, was that email from your missus? Not very valentiney!

45 minute (!!!) run yesterday and a brick with 15mins running tonight. My hopes are starting to rise
13/02/2013 at 20:20

I can't say the vets thing appeals to me either. What are the benefits PMJ?

I've taken another rest night. That little blast last night took more out of me than I expected. And I'm racing Sunday. And it's horrible out. Plenty of excuses....

13/02/2013 at 20:49
'OO'50 wrote (see)

So if you want to race BMAF you have to be BMAF affiliated.

So last year, the champs was at Tenby and hte BMAF results are here:
http://www.bvaf.org.uk/results/res2012/bmaf2012mar.htm
and the po10 here
http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=61370&event=Mar&venue=Tenby&date=10-Jun-12
so you can see the third vet home in 3:06 was second in BMAF and (am I allowed to say this?) a thread member was second vet and could have been second BMAF.

I have also resigned my track club and my current club only do road and x-county so I need to join another club second claim to do track.

13/02/2013 at 21:00

Good to see you back BOTF

IBS issues today, was meant to be 10 mins easy / 30 mins threshold / 10 mins easy (the 10 mins was already cut down from 15 as had to run at work today) the 30 mins got split in to 2 as got IBS issues and had to find somewhere to go so did 2 x 16 min at threshold - but couldn't get down to that pace.... 6:54mm and 6:36mm for the 16 min efforts..... still its done and legs still mashed from Sunday... now cleared out by a massage tonight... 7.35m in 52:01

Take care all

13/02/2013 at 21:18

BikeIt I see you have already made your decision. I would agree with SJ, bit of tempo on the shorter runs.

SJ Hopefully good news indeed.

PMJ I can honestly say I didn't understand a word of that.

RFJ Hope the massage helped.

Before I get too much credit for my early starts, don't forget I am in Europe and thus an hour ahead.

13/02/2013 at 21:23

I remember running a race last year PMJ where I was 4th or 5th in my vet catagory. One of my pals commented that if I'd joined NE Vets I would have collected a prize as first vet in the NE Vets race. I struggled to reconcile why I would want a prize for being in a special club when I was still only 4th or 5th in the race proper. I understand you have other reasons though.  

Edited: 13/02/2013 at 21:25
13/02/2013 at 21:54
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
'OO'50 wrote (see)

So if you want to race BMAF you have to be BMAF affiliated.

So last year, the champs was at Tenby and hte BMAF results are here:
http://www.bvaf.org.uk/results/res2012/bmaf2012mar.htm
and the po10 here
http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=61370&event=Mar&venue=Tenby&date=10-Jun-12
so you can see the third vet home in 3:06 was second in BMAF and (am I allowed to say this?) a thread member was second vet and could have been second BMAF.

PMJ - I remember being pleasantly surprised when you told me that at the time, and that was closely followed up by the injustice of 1st place going to a 37yr old male! Any idea why BMAF have 35+ as a male vet class yet most races its 40+ . In my head I have taken it as a moral victory

Edited: 13/02/2013 at 22:28
13/02/2013 at 22:31
Hope the knee holds up Lorenzo, can't have you missing the 3:10train in April.

Gul - interesting question, Paula doesn't actually say in her book in so far as she calls for efforts and hard efforts etc. I've got to say not overly user friendly if you don't have experience. Luckily I've followed enough plans now to make a judgement and ran these to about 5k "effort" - I wasn't running to pace but was looking for consistency of effort. the wind down the thames put paid to the consistency but still quite pleased with the splits - not run that fast for relatively easy effort for a while.
Miles pace av Hr max Hr
0.47 6.25 151 164
0.49 6.05 159 167
0.49 6.08 158 167
0.48 6:14 158 167
0.48. 6:14 158 168
0.46 4. 6:28 157 168

Last spilt ruined by traffic and a set of steps
13/02/2013 at 23:45

Good lunchtime MLR there SBD, I think I would have died not having gloves on for that amount of time in the snow!

OGL - congrats on the first 20 miler of the campaign. I hope to do my first next week.

Poacher - delete the email and say you didn;t get it / went in yuor spam folder!

Extra day off can't be a bad thing Minni if you have a tight calf. Probably better than a track session would have been?

Massage should sort out the legs RFJ - must get myself booked in. Good time for your run.

Don't you just hate trafic lights when doing reps FINgers? Good splits.

6 miles steady @ 7.14 av pace tonight. Rest night tomorrow then 4 easy mile Friday before my Hlaf on Sunday.

14/02/2013 at 02:09

Just thought id say its 66 days till VLM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14/02/2013 at 06:37

FINgers Nice reps

KR Pacey steady run

Minni Hope the rest is helping

My right calf is playing up again. Hopefully nothing serious. I feel it on downhill sections and nowhere else when I run, but I know it is there when stopped. Lots  of stretching.

6 miles recovery today, felt tough mentally but completeld at a lightning 9:24 mm

14/02/2013 at 08:05
Carbloader wrote (see)

Just thought id say its 66 days till VLM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gulp.

14/02/2013 at 08:22

Here's a thought - it's not exactly running related - I'm thinking of changing my Forum name.... lets face it, mine is rubbish. Not very inventive and wasn't really running a lot when I registered - I think I put about 2 nano-seconds into thinking about it and it has no real relevance to anything other than it was the same name that I used on a guitar forum that I used to post on many moons ago....

Any thoughts?

14/02/2013 at 09:03

BikeIt - I think that your build mileage is good direction to moving in and would agree that tempo work in a plan is also important but if your A race is Comrades, I would shift your focus on your priority sessions, and concentrate on massivly endurance. The MLR needs to compliment your Long - and I would say that this is the second most important session of the week. If you can get this up to 15miles on a Wednesday (assuming you LSR on a sunday) then everything else should fit in around.

Your speed will increase anyway on an increase in miles as you become more efficient - I would say that efficiency of motion/running will get you through Comrades, not the speed that you gain from a tempo session.

14/02/2013 at 09:07

LR - well done on completing the first mesocycle. Just take it easy on those LSRs and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Bike It - If it were possible to do a 12 and a 10, say, then it would probably be more beneficial, but 2 x 10 is fine, I'd say.
SBD - good discipline.
OGL - I don't think 8:40 m/m in a blizzard is any cause for concern. Well done.
Poacher - going back to Algeria doesn't sound good.
Minni - hope the rest day has sorted that niggle out.
PMJ - I wanted to be a vet, but my arms weren't long enough.
SJ - sounds promising - steady as she goes...
RFJ - hope the massage has done the trick.
SD - still pretty early though. Hope the calf is OK.
FINgers - I guess not being too prescriptive allows you to put in the effort you judge to be appropriate at the time. Good session, anyway. As for forum names - mine is totally non-running related too! Have fun.
KR - nice steady run.
Another busy morning. Out before 5am but still no time to post. Another tempo run today. 9 miles @ 7:06 m/m. Nearer the intended pace than my 2 previous efforts, but still a little bit fast at this stage (66 days to VLM, but 80 days to GEAR!)

14/02/2013 at 09:45
'OO'50 wrote (see)

I remember running a race last year PMJ where I was 4th or 5th in my vet catagory. One of my pals commented that if I'd joined NE Vets I would have collected a prize as first vet in the NE Vets race. I struggled to reconcile why I would want a prize for being in a special club when I was still only 4th or 5th in the race proper. I understand you have other reasons though.  

The way I see this is that in reality there are very few unequivocal winners. Last year David Rudisha won the 800m Olympic final and broke the world record so I think it fair to say he is number one. In the same race, the guys in 2nd and 6th set national records so they are winners as they are in a special club. This cascades down the whole athletics hierarchy so we go from national to regional to county and ever lower levels. I won the Veteran Men award for our club last year and it is sitting proudly on my mantle piece. Of course there are faster vets than I and you will get anomalies but that  is the way these things work. I would like to compete in the BMAF championship marathon and stand a chance of placing well but say for a moment I win then I will announce I won the BMAF marathon championship (which would be true) and not that I am the best vet in the UK (which patently would not be so as there are already sub 2:50 runs and it is only mid Feb)

14/02/2013 at 11:46

Good Tempo session Gul

The plan in my head had me down for a LT session, but didn't fancy it Instead had a 12 mile Fartlek . I'm quite enjoying these sessions just for the sake of them. Included some miles  at MP, HMP, 10kish , & 5kish, and the rest of it was made up of shorter hard efforts and some easy running for 7:07 pace overall.

Bramley 20 next, so the remainder of the week will be easy/steady cross training for me.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.