Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,461 to 24,480 of 38,674 messages
14/02/2013 at 22:52
Random, yesterday's post just went up so have edited it out!

Just an easy 8 for me today at 7:50m/m ish. Pleased how things are going at the moment.

Now a read back.
Edited: 14/02/2013 at 22:54
14/02/2013 at 23:01
Fingers - I know that's an old post that's appeared but it reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask:

You guys that are unfortunate enough to have to do your reps and quality runs in the city, how do you cope with traffic and traffic lights? If you need to stop do you stop your garmin then restart it when you get going? Then if you do this do you still keep the interval the same length or make it longer to compensate?

Unfortunately I don't have a track to use but I can usually find a quiet country lane to do mine on so it's rarely an issue for me but have always wondered what others do.
14/02/2013 at 23:55

As im one of the thread Juniors i cant really comment others efforts other than keep it up lol.

Having a bad week speed wise, the milage is really catching up with me now, which i suppose is a good thing as its the endurance i require not the speed , but old habbits die hard.The lesson for me is not tho run bk 2 bk hard sessions

11 mi today @7.40 mi pace

60 mi on the road bike tomorrow, Sat easy 6, Sun 20-22 long 

Should bring up 50+ miles for the week 

15/02/2013 at 06:29

AR - nice session - I always forget to include fartlek in my schedule.
PMJ - I take it you mean you're mentoring a student or offering a student work placement, not engaging in some sort of head to head competition! Very commendable. parkrun on 2nd March sounds great; I'll re-arrange my schedule accordingly. Looking forward to it already!
Minni - good news. I do my intervals at the park and rarely have problems with traffic (not that King's Lynn is a city!) If I do have to stop then I'll pause my watch.
TR - no, some of us are going senile and need reminding on a regular basis.
Poacher - impressive double.
FINgers - good running; looking promising at the moment.
CL - another good session. Take it easy.
3 mile recovery run d&d.

15/02/2013 at 06:50

I agree with Gul, TR and Poacher and Birch and MM (where is he?) we need you to constantly remind us of the obvious things that we don't see or ignore.

We need Windy and Keir for their pure thoughts

13 miles this morning. 8:18 pace, a bit of a struggle, it felt like hard work but I could not get my HR above 71%. I am assuming this is a sign I am tired.

15/02/2013 at 07:17

Went out late and did 11 hill reps- last chance to prepare for the Honister pass on Sunday. I'm still tempted to do the parkrun tomorrow. The V50 PB is an achievable 18:07 and if the weather is fine I may have a crack.

Jealous at all the long runs here, I'm only up to 13 for the week.

JD3
15/02/2013 at 07:39

Hello everyone, sorry to wander in so infrequently and have questions when I do,

Minni - I do my quality runs on cournty lanes too, but for intervals etc I run them round and round a couple of local residental roads in order to try and keep them a) flatish, and b) comperable from one ot the other.

I had a tough day at the office yesterday, the plans was 2M warm up, 1M steady, 1M MP, then 800m easy inc 5x strides, followed by 5x1M @ 10k pace off 90s (Stolen from a thread on the Training tab). The whole run felt a bit lethargic from the off, and while I got the first 3@10k nearly on the right speed, the last two were about 10s per mile too slow. Don't know whether it was a mental thing or a leg thing (my legs felt like it was a leg thing), but I was pleased to stick it out even though it was a bit under paced. 

I really have 2 questons if that's Ok- how long does it take you to recover from a half marathon? I had one on Sunday, and though I felt like I only ran it at 97% (did get a PB though) I wondered if that might still be in my legs.

And secondly, with HR training, as I understand it, for the same speed, eg 7.40 per mile, as you get fitter you can run at a loewr HR, but for the same pace, eg HM pace, you can run at the same HR but faster. My HR has been a few bpm lower acorss the board lately- my HM on Sun was only really 1-2bpm over Marathon HR. Any thoguhts?

Some great Wkoingham's from the thread members recently, and a lot of good training going in. I hope that you're all suitable confident for VLM.

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 07:39
JD3
15/02/2013 at 07:42
Minni - briefly as my train is coming (edit, it came) - I'm lucky as I can get down onto the Thames path so generally at the moment have a good straight run, but when traffic lights do occur I don't stop my watch on normal runs as I like to keep a track of what my HR is doing. In intervals I try to keep running so either change direction/route to stay on footpaths and then cross during recovery or just keep going and hope for the best! The latter depends very much on the road and its busyness!

But I'll tell you this - you do get good at traffic and pedestrian avoidance running in the city!

Probably a rest day for me today as I can't see where I'm going to fit any running in - wont be a bad thing, mini-taper is bring enforced I suppose. I might try and sneak 5 easy in later.

Cheers Gul - yes moving in the right direction at the moment. In fact I think it seems to be for a few of us on here at the moment.

That said, there are a few references to people feeling tired/lethargic at the moment - remember peeps with every weeks training - do your easys easy, and hards hard (that sound s a bit like a TR-ism) to avoid burnout, if training for London we've still got Mad March to deal with and need to be able to get through it!

Keep up the good work!

Edit: for reference to train, as it came so had longer to type, hence longer post!
Edited: 15/02/2013 at 08:05
15/02/2013 at 08:40

Just checking in to see how everyone is; I've had a crappy week so haven't been able to post much or read back, although I will later today, I promise.

After my reps on Tuesday I did a 13-miler which was a bit of a struggle, as I felt really worn out form the off. yesterday's % easy miles weren't much better, so today, given I have a HM on sunday, I just diod 6M @ 7:00mm, and tomorrow I will rest as much as possible. I have been sleeping really badly this week.

Can anyone help? Since last night, my email account (Outlook) won't let me compose or reply to emails.It's driving me nuts.

15/02/2013 at 08:41

So long as you can avoid 'Girls Feck Arse Drink!' and stick to 'That would be an ecumenical matter!' you should be fine PMJ. 

15/02/2013 at 09:09
Scooby Dudek wrote (see)

We need Windy and Keir for their pure thoughts

Keir wrote (see)

So long as you can avoid 'Girls Feck Arse Drink!' and stick to 'That would be an ecumenical matter!' you should be fine PMJ. 

There you go.....

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 09:09
15/02/2013 at 09:29

I think there was something in the air last night as my gentle 8 felt really hard with lots of warning twinges throughout the legs. Its gone now. Off to look at bathrooms today.

Ant - cant help really help other than it hasnt reached its GB limit has it? When things like tis happen to me I just go delete crazy.

15/02/2013 at 09:37

Ant -  what error message to you get?

15/02/2013 at 09:52

My 12m this morning with planned progressive miles had to be stopped mid way through. My aches and pains are developing into the niggles which injured me last year. Have a massage booked on Monday which worked to solve the issue last year.

My main ICT issue is my Garmin won't upload data. Been an issue since id Dec. I've tried 2 different laptops. Seems to pair ok, but data won't upload to Garmin TC. I guess the next step is to get a new Ant+ stick to try that. 

15/02/2013 at 12:47

Ant maybe it's just pre race nerves?

JD3 I usually find 3 weeks between races (e.g. one 1/2M and the next) works best for me though I have done 2 weeks and it's usually OK. I usually feel fine after a week.

15/02/2013 at 18:48
Ant my approach this year has been to focus on being flexible in what I do, getting lots of variety, and keeping injury at bay. Perhaps I'll be the consistently inconsistent one. I know this won't get me the best possible time at VLM, but it is giving me huge enjoyment of the training - I'll take that over a VLM pb. So glad I chucked the schedules aside. Worn out from the off, and I do a short run, have a paddle in the pool etc. Wake up brimming with energy and I go with it and do some nutty speed session over the course of a medium long run. Some weeks I'm running 3 times, others 6 or 7.

Probably not helped, but that's my angle on this running lark. Ok, lets shut me up and get back on party line
15/02/2013 at 19:33

advice of the week (or year) from Keir !

took a peek at the "lycra leggings" thread, Frazer - bizarre stuff  . . . .

Mennania - you need a treat after a day looking at bathrooms - get down the record shop ( do many still exist)?  - the new Cave CD is out , and seemingly a belter

15/02/2013 at 19:46
Minni wrote (see)
You guys that are unfortunate enough to have to do your reps and quality runs in the city, how do you cope with traffic and traffic lights?

For reps I run for a few miles and do them in a park or on a track. Most cities have tracks and I can get to two all weather ones in about 2 miles and one grass one closer (Hurlingham club where they filmed Ponty Python's Upper Class Twit of the Year). On longer road runs I do tend to stop and start the Garmin if held up at busy crossings but most of it is just closing your eyes and running across. I do hit a few cars a month (with the flat of my hand) when they decide to stop on a zebra crossing rather than wait until their exit is clear.

Keir wrote (see)

My trouble is that I start out "yes vicar" and then after the port I am "as the bishop said to the actress"

15/02/2013 at 20:01

You could always do the limerick about the Bishop of Birmingham, that would have them rolling in the aisles....

15/02/2013 at 20:21
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
Most cities have tracks and I can get to two all weather ones in about 2 miles and one grass one closer (Hurlingham club where they filmed Ponty Python's Upper Class Twit of the Year). 

Presumably you an expert at removing the bra from the inflatable dummy by now then. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.