Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,481 to 24,500 of 38,701 messages
15/02/2013 at 20:28
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
Minni wrote (see)
You guys that are unfortunate enough to have to do your reps and quality runs in the city, how do you cope with traffic and traffic lights?

On longer road runs I do tend to stop and start the Garmin if held up at busy crossings but most of it is just closing your eyes and running across. I do hit a few cars a month (with the flat of my hand) when they decide to stop on a zebra crossing rather than wait until their exit is clear.

What???   Are you mad?  I never had you as such a risk taker PMJ.

15/02/2013 at 20:35

I've nearly come to blows a couple of times PMJ after slapping cars. But now I'm getting old I try to curb my temper.

5 miles tonight including 5 hill reps. Legs are feel quite good.

One of our clubs most improved runners last year is following a similar regime to that one you mention AR. 4-5 low milage runs per week plus 3-4 cross training sessions. He ran 1:14:XX at the GNR!

15/02/2013 at 21:01
Poacher wrote (see)

You could always do the limerick about the Bishop of Birmingham, that would have them rolling in the aisles....

I don't know that one, can you give an opening stanza and I will google the rest. I do know this one but it scans badly

There was a young lady of Leeds
who swallowed a packet of seeds
great tuft of grass
grew out her ears
and her palms were covered in weeds.

'OO'50 wrote (see)

I've nearly come to blows a couple of times PMJ after slapping cars. But now I'm getting old I try to curb my temper.

It isn't a matter of age surely, it is a matter of speed and the proximity of a one way road or alley way nd in London that is never too far away.

Minni wrote (see)
P

What???   Are you mad?  I never had you as such a risk taker PMJ.

I have always wondered about taking a bunch of keys out of an offending car and throwing them away and told this to a running pal and it turns out that is exactly what he did one day.

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 21:02
TR
15/02/2013 at 21:07

dont get me started on limerick's.

Minni - you make me laugh with your gadget and schedule obsession, however were we so good at marathon running in the 70s ? FWIW I have done 3min reps on the morning commute, along the main road near my house, and last year I did them on the road to Woolfardisworthy (sp ?), and someone mentioned Kings Lynn - I did them on the path next to the tidal part of the river between the Main Road near the Premier Inn and the town centre. No idea how far I ran each time or what pace they were and I didnt want to know anyway !

TR
15/02/2013 at 21:08

There was a young lady called Mable..........

15/02/2013 at 21:11

"There was a young girl from Cheshunt..."

FINgers - No error message at all, just nothing doing when I go to compose a new email or try to reply to ne. I get them sent o.k. and can read all of them. Curiously, on other computers there is no problem, so obviously I've inadvertently changed something about the settings, haven't I? That, or God hates me.

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 21:12
15/02/2013 at 21:39
Ant, my Garmin won't upload to training centre but will upload to Garmin connect. No idea why.

Last 2.5k swim of the base phase of my schedule. Put the burners on at half way and clocked 45:31.... Very pleasing PB!

Also racked up another 45 mins running up the muddy hills in the woods this afternoon. Steady as she goes.

There was a young man from Prestatyn
Who wore pyjamas of satin
Pyjamas as clean as you've ever seen
Apart from the night they were shat in

Ahem
Edited: 15/02/2013 at 21:40
15/02/2013 at 21:54

TR I didn't used to be so obsessed.  I used to be just like you and run to feel but the problem was I never felt like running fast, so I would just plod on and on and on.  If I tried to run any kind of interval I would think I was going to die so quickly stop. After all I didn't need it - because I could just run on and on and on.   So I really need something structured to make me run 'so' fast for 'so' long otherwise I just wouldn't bother.    Maybe next year I'll try Poacher's 'what if the opposite were true' approach but until then its schedules and gadgets all the way!

15/02/2013 at 22:04
My favourite interval location is a road circling an office park. It is reasonably flat, and other than speed bumps and guard dogs, makes for good running surface pre 7.45am before cars get in the way. The guard dog ran me down on one session. I run faster now
TR
15/02/2013 at 22:07

Minni - I only do a few sessions of 3min reps before a marathon and some MP stuff in some of the longer runs, plodding on and on is wayyyyyy under rated. Still, whatever makes you believe you "can" on race day I suppose.

15/02/2013 at 22:15

Yes, but you have natural speed that I just don't have.  The years that I plodded I didn't get any faster. So if I'd been happy sticking to the 3:30-3:40 marathon time then I could have continued to plod but to get faster I've had to do consistent speed work.

15/02/2013 at 22:30
Minni wrote (see)

TR I didn't used to be so obsessed.  I used to be just like you and run to feel but the problem was I never felt like running fast, so I would just plod on and on and on.  If I tried to run any kind of interval I would think I was going to die so quickly stop. After all I didn't need it - because I could just run on and on and on.   So I really need something structured to make me run 'so' fast for 'so' long otherwise I just wouldn't bother.    Maybe next year I'll try Poacher's 'what if the opposite were true' approach but until then its schedules and gadgets all the way!

You have just summed up the difference between hurting and suffering.  Hurting makes suffering easier.  If you look at the training schedules of people like Zatopek or Bannister, you get an inkling of how much they must have hurt themselves in order to achieve their goals. Your sub 3.15 in London will involve hurt and suffering, but it will be worth it 

There once was a Bishop of Birmingham...you can complete the rest

Lorenzo - on the book front, just reading The Ghost Runner - a readable and interesting piece of social history, worth adding to the list.

5m plod today, 45m for the week and a couple of days to go

15/02/2013 at 22:38

Poacher, sound like Yoda you do. 

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 22:38
15/02/2013 at 22:40

+1 for Ghost Runner. Shocking how pompous bureaucracy can ruin a mans life. 

15/02/2013 at 22:57
Run very slowly I will
Cough my guts up I will
Strong is the force of the CNBA fairy
TR
15/02/2013 at 23:23

I never listen to Marathon Talk, but i get the hurt vs suffer comparison, although I dont look at marathons as an aerobic game, they are about trying to hold an easy (at the start) pace which gets harder to hold as your legs get increasingly more tired, but its never on the aerobic rivet like a 10K race, its about keeping tired legs going strong. So how fast someone can run reps doesnt really seem relevant to me. theres folks I know that are better runners than me 364 days of the year but I beat them on VLM day (cos I do more marathon specific work than them IMO, and I'm up for it more than them when it gets to fixing bayonets time at 18M).   

15/02/2013 at 23:46
Fixing bayonets! Another one for the TR phrase book!
16/02/2013 at 06:51

Apologies for the lack of summary today. Holiday time and I need to go and pamper Mrs GD.
Just quickly popped in to wish OO and Ant and anyone else racing all the best this weekend.
As for me, 12M @ 8:48m/m d&d.

16/02/2013 at 10:39

SJ Steady as she goes

7 miles recovery with 6 strides thrown in. My strides are getting quicker, which I am taking as a sign of progress, plus I don't mind hurting for 60metres.

16/02/2013 at 10:44

10M last night and 10M this morning to leave the small question of the Bramley 20 tomorrow (I'll be the one who bears a more than passing resemblance to my avatar...).  I don't think 20M flat out worked for me in 2010, so plan is 7 @ 8.05 (MP + 20%), 7 @ 7.25 (MP + 10%) and 6 @ 6.45 (PMP).  Still sounds quite scary and tough!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.