Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,521 to 24,540 of 37,763 messages
17/02/2013 at 06:33

Good luck all racing and LSRing.

Scooby - are you a dirty stop out or an early riser?

17/02/2013 at 07:00

he's probably up early to sniff out a scooby snack

17/02/2013 at 09:37
Good luck to all those pinning a number on today.

Not too shabby OO - well done to the young 'un.

I decided to give my knee another day's rest so hopped out on the bike for a 20 mile spin. Rather damp and misty here at the moment, so ended up with unpleasantly cold feet and hands. Still, good to get out for a bit of fresh air. Off to watch elder Lorenzito (16 years old) in rugby reffing action later this morning.
17/02/2013 at 09:40

Less of it. Early riser, I did however see a few staggering out of a few bars at the start of my run.

Plan was 16 with 12 at PMP. Bit of a mixed bag.

I ran 13.1 miles (21.1km) at PMP but I  came in at 1:30:30. I was bang on sub 3 schedule for the first 14 km, but I suddenly dropped 8 seconds on the next km and just could not get it back. I seemed to be working hard from the second km, which is not good. I added an extra 2km to my warm down, to give a total of 20.36 miles in 3:32 for av pace of 7:28 mm. My longest ever week 72 (beating the previous 2 weeks of 71 each) and now six runs of 20 miles or more bagged.

All in I am slightly disappointed as it was a lot harder than I would have liked. No way could I do much more at that pace. However, as a defence I did run the entire 21.1km on a 1.1km flat stretch, run 1.1 turn around and do it again (19 times). This did not help the pacing or the mind, plus I believe it cost me 2 seconds each turn.

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 09:43
17/02/2013 at 12:43

Scooby - Don't beat yourself up, as that is a really tough session to nail in training. I say well played, son.

As for me, a poor performance in the Corazón de Asturias HM. In short, my target (1:24) was, in hindsight, unrealistic given a long lay-off and a couple of extra kilos. I should have gone for 1:26-1:27.

As it was, I went off too fast (first 3km in 11:41), struggled in the hilly middle section, managed to calm down a bit and run better til 9-10 miles when I threw up my gel. The wheels didn't totally come off, but were wobbling. I did actually rally a bit for athe last couple of miles and put in a decent finish for the assembled masses, but 1:29:16 is a poor result for me. To cap it all, my nipples bled like bu**ery.

I think I'll call it 13.1M @ MP minus 25 secs. That sounds better, doesn't it?

In all seriousness, I definitely need more races to sharpen up. Trouble is, there are only 5 weeks to go til my marathon.

17/02/2013 at 12:57

Oh dear not nice to see Scoobs and Ant unhappy with their runs.

Scoobs - that's at the end of a big week and still a great session even if you feel a bit disappointed.  Not an ideal route either.

Ant - brilliant MP -25 session from you.   The marathon will be no problem after that.   Hope the nips heal quickly....

17/02/2013 at 13:13

Cross over day today when a few running friends doing a marathon for the first time and building up long runs and a few of us old hands not doing a marathon but liking Sunday long runs met up to do a 16 miler. Probably will be as long as I go until late summer. Came out in a few seconds over 2 hours (2:00:11 to be exact) so nice to get in a chunk at 7:30 pace.

17/02/2013 at 13:56

Will read back in a mo, but quick Bramley report (c+p from Facebook, which is very lazy of me...): 2.24.37. I can claim 5s for getting stuck behind the sodding sweeper van (it was at 9.5M, I was at 19.5M before the wisecracks start...) but the main thing I learnt is that running races progressively is really fun. 7M @ what was supposed to be 8.05s but came out a bit faster; 7M at what was supposed to be 7.25s but came out a bit faster; 6M at what was supposed to be 6.45s and came out pretty much bang on (the good news had to end somewhere). Overtaking all the way And thanks to whoever it was (Stuart from the sub-3 thread, maybe?) who shouted 'chick him, Jools' at 19.9M. Naturally, one obliged

Sorry I didn't hang around to meet people, but I realised I could get the 13.14 train rather than waiting for the 14.14, so scarpered quickly.

17/02/2013 at 14:01

Scooby: I wouldn't fret about 30s dropped when doing a MP session alone.  they're an absolute killer, second only to tempo runs solo as my pet hate.

Ant: it'll have blown the cobwebs away.  I was surprised how much easier 6.45s felt this week, even though they came at the end of another big week and a LSR.

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 14:02
17/02/2013 at 15:02
Good runs Jools and Ant. Certainly it was much better conditions today to be pinning numbers on vests. I took Ants approach and did a MP-x approach

Being a lightweight I was running on fresh legs at Bramley so planned to do 10m fairly quick to tire the legs, and 10m @ MP. As it was I felt fairly comfortable mid way and ran all 20 at 6:25 min/m to finish in 2:08:29. This was pretty consistent with last weekends HM so gives me a good stake in the ground on my fitness.
17/02/2013 at 15:15
Cracking time AR! Well done sir.

Well paced Jools. Overtaking all the way through is sooo much easier on the mind than clinging on and watching people pass you for half the race.

Ant, you'll be chipping along nicely in a couple of weeks when tapered. As you say, very good tempo run logged!

Ditto Scoobs. Good session to get in the bank.

Longest bike session to date for me this morning in glorious sunshine. Skirted along the coast then through villages on the outskirts of Kendal, then through Windermere and through Ambleside into the Langdale Valley before retracing my steps. Really enjoyed it and felt strong all the way. 56miles in 3hrs 30. Happy days.
17/02/2013 at 15:56

Wow, AR.  Fresh legs or not, that is a stonking run.  Sub 2.50?

17/02/2013 at 16:05

Wow what a difference a week can make.....after last weeks long run, well last few have been a struggle tbh.

So friday i did a 62 mile road ride just to keep the legs spinning, i thought today i would of paid for it how wrong was i.

Did the first 11 miles fairly pedestrian as the sister came along, after she peeled away for home i just progressively cranked the pace thinking i would plateau after about 18miles. Nope felt strong all the way if anything getting stronger, did mile 20 in 6.40 pace and felt like i could of hung on to a few more.

8.08 min/mile for the whole run and another solid 45 mile week, me one happy chappy today.

Same again next week.........

TR
17/02/2013 at 16:07

Scooby - top work there, that PnD run is hard, I wish it was 12 at marathon effort rather than MP though, 9 weeks out is too soon to know your MP. It's bagged and you averaged sub3 pace 9 weeks before you need MP. Its done, move on.

AR - you weren't running on fresh legs, you still had Wokingham in them, which makes that 2:08 pretty impressive. FWIW I'd say that you need an easy week or two now after the last 2 weekends.

17/02/2013 at 16:12
That may be a bit outside my grasp Jools. I am going to pay for the low mileage running I am doing, and I suspect it will come at mile 22
2:55 - 3:00 would be great.

From tomorrow my routine will be blown apart. My wife has been off on 'gardening leave' as she is moving jobs. It means I have had the last 6 weeks with no responsibilities in the morning before work. So its back to snatched lunch time runs for me.
17/02/2013 at 16:14
Point taken TR, a week of easy runs and steady rows is in mind for me.
Blisters    pirate
17/02/2013 at 16:30

I've just committed to run Stratford Marathon on April 28th. Paid up and all that stuff

That counts as a spring marathon doesn't it?

I suppose I'd better think about training.

17/02/2013 at 16:54
AR- that is a very impressive pace for Bramley, I reckon a pretty decent time for you at VLM.

Decent MP effort by you too Ant, 5 weeks is plenty of time.

Glad your hitting that sub 3 pace Joolska.

Scooby- that solo MP run is a bit of a tough one and after a big mileage week that was a good effort. I did a similar run today and like you, it felt I was putting in a bit too much effort and running that for 26 seems a bit out of reach at the moment.
So 5 miles at 8MM pace and then 12 at 6.50 average into a bit of a head wind, 1 mile warm down.
I didn't have my heart rate monitor on so couldn't really gauge effort but did feel hard rather than comfortably hard. Still a 70 mile week and a HM PB in my legs so can't be too bad.
17/02/2013 at 17:00

After a two mile warm up I stole Jools' paces for my progressive 30k. The first 10k was supposed to be 8.05s but came out distinctly faster due to it being largely downhill with a tailwind and having company to chat with. The middle 10k was supposed to be 7.25s,  I may have been a tiny bit slower on average though, it's all very up and down in the middle and it's difficult to gauge the effort level. The final 10k is essentially the first 10k  in reverse - so all uphill and into the wind. If I work out the average pace over that full 10k I'll probably be there or thereabouts, but none of last 6.2 miles were actually AT marathon pace. One was probably as slow as 7.15, while the last 1.2 were under 6.20. A painful ploddy cool down gave me 22 miles for the day. Beautiful sunny day for a long run in the countryside, even it it was a hilly one!

AR - flipping heck, speed merchant!

Jools - glad yours went to plan too. Thanks for working out the paces 

17/02/2013 at 17:28

Great pacing runs from Jools, Speedy and AR.  Its been a lovely day for it.

SJ - I know those roads and they are quite twisty and busy but there always seems to be quite a lot of cyclists out.  Are the cars kind to you?

Blisters - congrats on signing up for a spring marathon. 

Moof/Carb - nice long runs.

Jools -  think you met my friend AA from the sub 3:30 thread?  She said you were going well.  I should try and tempt her on here.  She ran just over 1:30 HM last weekend and did a really fast second 10 today.  In fact there are 4 or 5 of us ladies on the sub 3:30 who will be aiming for 3:15 or thereabouts in April.  Poacher might have his hands full.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.