Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,601 to 24,620 of 38,251 messages
18/02/2013 at 21:54

Minni - a few posts back you asked how I did at Bramley 20?

I ran it as a progressive training run in 3 blocks of 7m, 7m and MP from M14.

Last 5m at a pace of 7:19 min/m including the final hills. Chip time of 2:39:05 so no burst blood vessels on that one.....

This followed a 4 min PB at Wokingham HM of 1:30:14 on the previous w/e in the rain

Mara PB to date - Abingdon 2012 3:24:xx; next up Boston 2013 

TR
18/02/2013 at 22:27

Scooby - thought so, HR is surpressed early doors and makes MP work tougher. I found it hard winding the pace up at 6am, when I did some MP runs last March pre VLM. 

18/02/2013 at 23:14

Oh for the luxury of a 1:23 half time.

Some of us have to squeeze out our sub 3 marathons (VLM 2012, 02:57) off of a 1:27 half time!!!

18/02/2013 at 23:50
As has been said before, your one gear is a bloody good gear. Still I suppose it gives us hope.
19/02/2013 at 06:00

Didn't we do this quite recently?

2010 - HM 1:22:36, VLM 2:59:06

Glad Frazer enjoyed the pic of my thighs.

I'm going to repeat this 3 x 10 mins progressive thing I did a few weeks ago and see if there's been any improvement!

19/02/2013 at 06:25

Blisters Nice 21 bagged. The first ones are never easy

One Gear That gives me hope.

Mike Looking good for a shot at sub 3:15

Keir and TR Thanks again for the wise words. I agree about struggling to get the HR up early doors. I am in Monaco ( hence 1.1km is only flat section close for interval/tempo/PMP sessions), where is it cuttently a cool 5 degrees.

9 miles general d&d.

19/02/2013 at 06:43

Some great in depth analysis going on! One day I'll be have a conversion of my own to analyse.
FINgers
- congrats on the PB! Looking forward to all the gory details.
Martin - shame about the spoiled birthday surprise. Good luck with the training this week.
Keir - definitely enjoying the cut-back week.
Moof - too late! Nice cross-training.
 Mike S - good controlled progressive run at Bramley.
TR - no idea what my heart rate is first thing in the morning, but I haven't found it a hindrance to doing faster stuff.
One Gear - all the more impressive then!
Ant - it'll be interesting to see how that 3 x 10mins session goes.
SD - good general aerobic run.
Freezing fog here today. Bit of a nuisance as I ended up having to take my glasses off 'cos I couldn't see a thing! My plan is to do some faster speedwork during my cut-back weeks (rather than 10k paced longer intervals). So today's session was 3 sets of 3x300m off 100m recoveries and 400m recvoveries between sets, starting off a few seconds slower than 5k pace and getting faster with each set. Thanks to the fog I couldn't see my watch, so I had no idea how I was doing until afterwards and in fact it was so bad I had trouble seeing the markers for the start and end of each 300m! So not taking too much notice of the splits, but hopefully the session will have done me some good. Set 1: 1:04, 1:10, 1:09. Set 2: 1:04, 1:04, 1:00. Set 3: 0:57, 1:00, 1:00. When I got home I noticed lots of water droplets trapped in between the hairs on my legs. Bizarre. (Sorry I went on a bit there).

19/02/2013 at 07:47
Morning peeps,

I've still hot a race report to file so that will follow as will a good set of congrats and well doned for the weekend as I see there has been a lot of good running done.

I just just wanted to chip in on the conversion debate though.

My conversion is 1:28:xx to 3:17:xx in 2010 - I was looking for 3:10 to get a GFA place but long endurance let me down a little in the last 3 miles or so. The point being that I was trying to apply the double it plus 12 model much touted in the sub3 thread - I was confident too much blew a gasket in the end!

So this time round for the remainder ill be focusing on the long runs and also I'm going to try and increase my midweek MLR up to 15 miles - it will however come down to time constraints, and balancing work/life/running.

Mennania - I'd be interested to know what you changed in your training to go from 1;28 to 1:24 - or was it purely increase in volume through marathon training? Your progression seemed to be similar to mine until I went from 1:28 to about a minute faster - not the big leap that you managed.
Edited: 19/02/2013 at 08:17
19/02/2013 at 09:40

Good topic on the Half/Full conversions.... my current HM time is 1.33xx although this has been the only HM i have done that was nearly a year ago.That converted me to a 3.29xx Marathon in Manchester last year,all off a 25-30 mile week

Had enough blagging Marathons and hurting so doubled the milage for VLM.

Currently i have been doing my 11mi tempos around the 6.45-50 pace, am i safe to assume i could get around the 1.26 mark ? raceday pace has got to be worth 10secs a mile?

19/02/2013 at 09:42

Hi FINgers - All except my first 1.28hm have been soft by I would suggest a minimum of 60s due to me picking a target time and manging my pace for the first 3/4 of the race and pushin on then. With the exception of my first sub 1.30 I have always finished knowing there was a lot more to give but they have nearly all been done mid marathon training.  I would have to attribute the increase to a more committed approach to training resultin in an increase of 15 - 20 miles per week this time around. I also think that the 1,24 was three weeks after VLM and I was less concerned about injury so set a harder target and clearly had the benefit of the whole of that maarthon training and a proper taper. If I am fit after VLM this year I am gonna push for a sub 1.22. There, I've said it now.

19/02/2013 at 09:43

A good set of intervals there Gul.

I've always tended to run Half Marathons as MP runs in a LSR. So my Sub 3 in 2010 was:

HM (Chippenham) 88:50,  Marathon (Abingdon) 2:58:42

although I had run 1:22:12 earlier in the year during the spring marathon campaign.

What are your short distance PBs Mennania?

19/02/2013 at 10:10

So, the Brighton Half....

I arrived early on what was promised by the weather forecasters to be a cool sunny day, with a light breeze. And was pleased to find it so. I've got to say, at this point in the day I don't think I've run in better conditions.

As I said, I got there early as I wanted to get a couple of miles in pre race. The plan was to run 2.5m easy, then race hard, then 2.5 easy again. Giving me 18 for the day including a hard effort in the middle.

I managed to get pretty close to the front for the start, the organisation being much better this year than previous years, and seemed to be surrounded by people looking for similar times to my self. I was a little nervous as I knew training had been going well but didn't know how things would come together and, in a strangely unplanned move for me - had no target time in mind. I planned just to run hard and see how it feels, then adjust pace to suit.

So the gun/air horn went and we were off. The splits will follow but I think I was a little over zealous with the pace on the first mile, even tho it felt easy I probably paid for it later on. The most annoying thing about the first mile was the distraction caused as I felt my long compression socks slowly slipping down my legs! Very annoying. I've never had problems with them in training so wanted to see what they were like in a race. Well at least I know. 

The following miles out to the 4 mile marker generally follow a slow incline up hill and I worked (perhaps a little too) hard up these hills to maintain a decent pace. It seemed to take a while to get to the switch back but the return run back into town I was flowing - and felt quite comfortable.

Running back through town out, miles 6 and 7 were a little above pace, but again I felt good to be running and (relatively) comfortable. I was working hard but I felt that I could maintain it. Mile 8 things were starting to get a little hard but I kept telling myself that there was less than 10k to go and I'd done the first 10k in about 41mins and tried to remain positive.

Mile 9 was a little eventful. Just after the mile marker I had to listen to a conversation between 2 guys behind me - one of them being really negative about how he was feeling and how hard things were - I know that I should have shut it out but it really brought my mental attitude down and I suddenly could feel myself working hard and that there was a while to go in the race. Then, I had to swerve significantly to avoid an ipod wearer who decided to swerve across the road in front of me to high5 his mate. This really broke my pace and it took some effort to try to get going.

I think that it must have been this effort, or maybe not, but I then felt a twinge in my right hamstring, and thoughts of a DNF with a torn muscle fleetingly passed through my head. I think that I must have subconsciously backed off again at this point, and the splits again reflect that.

At the 10mile mark, the course turns again back along the seafront and the light breeze that was forecast seemed to have got a little stronger and running into the wind did feel hard. I don't think that I'm using the wind as an excuse at all but I certainly needed something to pin the effort I was putting in to maintain pace on something!

The finish couldn't come quick enough and I was doing all sorts of mental sums in my head to try and calculate where I might end up timewise - I realised that a PB was on the cards but would have to keep working hard.

Coming down the final run in I could see the clock and it was slowly ticking through 1:27 and I put a final burst of pace to make sure that it didn’t reach 1:28.

I finished taking about a minute off my previous best, in a time of 1:27:48.

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 10:10
19/02/2013 at 10:15

Split Time         Avg HR Max HR
1    06:11.0    06:11    149    161
2    06:30.1    12:41    163    168
3    06:37.6    19:19    159   164
4    06:38.2    25:57    160   163
5    06:37.6    32:34    159   161
6    06:28.0    39:02    160   162
7    06:29.9    45:32    159   161
8    06:34.9    52:07    161   163
9    06:43.1    58:50    161   162
10   06:48.7    1:05:39    161 164
11   06:59.3    1:12:38    163 165
12   07:06.0    1:19:44    164 166
13   06:57.1    1:26:41    165 167
14   01:07.3    1:27:49    167 169
 Summary 1:27:48.7    160 169

To be honest, having a couple of days to reflect, this is a little bittersweet. I'm really pleased that I've got the PB, and it's the quickest that I have run in over 2 years so it feels good to be back to some fitness but to be honest I was hoping for a little more. I was working pretty much bang on threshold effort for the race and given the performance of some of my workouts in training I was hoping to get a little nearer 1:25. The last 3 miles were a lot of work and clearly I need to work on endurance. It's clear that I still have a lot of work to do even to get to a time of 3:10 in the marathon, so I guess that sub3 is still a way off.

19/02/2013 at 10:16

Sorry for the long race report.....

19/02/2013 at 11:23
Great report FINgers. Top performance as well. Don't be too harsh on yourself. Always good to enjoy a PB.

Finally got out for a run this morning. Plan was 10 with 5 at tempo. Still in North Devon. Thought it was hilly where I live! Almost impossible to run with a consistent rhythm. 2&3 were flattish and covered these inside 7mm but others was working really hard for 7:30's or worse!

Felt very strong though so a good session. Weather absolutely perfect down here. Back to Kent tonight.

Will have a good catch up when I get home and in front of PC.
19/02/2013 at 12:27

FINgers it's easy to see where to go with your splits. You can pick up 1/2min  over each of the last 5 miles to get to 1:25. Harder than it sounds but that conclusion jumps out.

Not sure if my legs will let me run this evening but will ive it a go.

19/02/2013 at 12:53

Great report FINgers. I was a bit hard on myself on my Half Marathon but on reflection should be pleased with it. A minute is a great result and shouldn't be sniffed at. Leave the self deprecating to me!

Took a couple of easy rows yesterday to loosen up the legs and did a very relaxed 10m run today which felf quite good considering. No running tomorrow, then another easy run day on Thursday.

19/02/2013 at 14:19

Great report on a fine effort, FINgers. You might have wanted a couple of minutes off that time but it still serves as a good benchmark to build on. Brighton can often be tricky to run at, what with hills and howling wind...

Gul - A speedy set of reps, there.

DS2 - Soundis like hard work in tough conditions - good job.

Putting HM firmly behind me I did 9 miles this morning including 10 mins @ 7:09mm (MP?), 10 mins @ 6:45mm (HMP?) and then 10 mins @ 6:21mm, before heading 2 miles home @ 7:04mm.  I'd done this two weeks ago and found it hard work but a good session to do. Today was much more controlled and manageable - and quicker in all three sections. That has to be a good sign!

Also, no adverse physical reactions from Sunday's race, so it's full steam ahead. I'm determined to work really hard in training for the next three weeks before starting a two-week taper, and not too aggresive a taper at that. 

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 14:28
19/02/2013 at 14:37
Ant- that's a quality session and clear progress as well. Great for confidence with the big day in sight!
19/02/2013 at 14:37

Thanks for the comments people.

OO - I agree it's clear to see where I need to improve, just need to find a way of doing it, it's times like these it would be good to have a coach in my corner as I haven't really got a clue what I need to do.

Ant/AR, indeed I'm not overly disappointed, as it is a minute of the PB and yes a good benchmark, just would have liked it to be a little higher.

5 miles only for me today very easy, went out for a session but legs just didn't want to know so canned it after the warmup and will swap the week around a bitto get the session in later on. Clearly I worked the old legs a little more than I realised at the weekend!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.