Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,621 to 24,640 of 38,681 messages
19/02/2013 at 15:22

My first efforts at sub 6 pace today. Admittedly it was only 3x1000m in about 3:40 pace but it is the first time on the track since June 2012.

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 15:25
19/02/2013 at 15:33

Sounds liike a big milestone on the recovery PMJ. Hope you came through it with no grumbling from the foot. Can't remember which track you use. Is the one near Datchet Dashers (Eton?) open to all? I may venture back on to a track at some point. At the moment I have been doing intervals on the treadmill over the winter.

19/02/2013 at 16:14

Keir - Legs feel much better after an easier week.  I didn't realise how much the previous 20 mile progressive run took out of me and have to be aware that I am injury-prone.  I have built in three cutback weeks in my plan and have taken two already.

Nice 21 bagged Blisters.

Good splits Gul.  Must have been difficult to run if visibility was so bad you couldn't see the the end of your arm!!!!

Well done on the PB FINgers.  Excellent report too.

Good to see you gaining some confidence from that run Ant.  They do say it takes a couple of weeks for your body to beneift from training.

Congratulations on the faster stuff PMJ.  May not be where you were last year but certainly good to see you getting back.

A 10.2 mile progressive run this morning for me.   Didn't know where I was going but stumbled across a Country Park by the Trent which was very eerie in the early morning fog.  Tried to increase the pace by 10-15 secs per mile starting at 7.36 pace. Can't remember the exact splits but mile 5 was 6.46 and mile 9 was 6.05.  Hard work for first thing in the morning (6.45am) but it felt productive.

19/02/2013 at 16:27

FINgers Cracking report and PB. Maybe more even pacing would help, but I the hilly/wind will not have helped.

Gul Very nice intervals in the fog.

Ant Great progressive tempo

PMJ Sub 6 is not to be sneezed at, hope there were no ill effects

Martin You really seem to like your progressive runs. I worry (for myself) that increased miles and progressive may tire me, but I do like the thought of actively progressive.

Daughters birthday (7 years) I have justed called home and she is obviously much to busy partying to speak to me. No doubt I will have to get used to this.

19/02/2013 at 16:31
Carbloader. Interested to see you referring to an 11 mile "tempo" run at 6.45-6.50 pace. If that felt ok in training you should be looking to Very easily pulling off 1.25 or less in race conditions. Most here would agree a MP run of 11 miles (say 6.50 for a sub 3 time) is a tough old run. Sounds Like you're fitter than you thought. Conventionally tempo refers to the pace you could holo for race conditions for an hour or so ie roughly 10 mile PB time at our level.

Great reprt FINgers. You'll gain alot by taking it day for first mile or two. Do you do some strides in the warm up so HMP feels nice and easy from the gun? You prob need some progressive medium runs and prolonged tempo intervals like 3 * 1.5 mile at HMP or that sort of thing to get the time down. Looking good though!

Good to see you back at the track and enjoying things again PMJ

Keep chipping away Ant. Faith in yourself must you have ...

Track for me too for first time in 2013. 8 * 600m off 200 m jogs. Just about 5.40 pace for the efforts. Most enjoyable

Is anyone else reading some of the posts this David Falconer 3 joker is putting up. Professional troll bordering on full time wanker but sometimes quite amusing. Looks like he spends 99% of his time on various forums
19/02/2013 at 19:39
Also-ran wrote (see)

Sounds liike a big milestone on the recovery PMJ. Hope you came through it with no grumbling from the foot. Can't remember which track you use. Is the one near Datchet Dashers (Eton?) open to all? I may venture back on to a track at some point. At the moment I have been doing intervals on the treadmill over the winter.

AR, I run at lunchtime on the Barns Elm track which is between Hammersmith and Putney and at home on the High Wycombe track. I run for Datchet but that is a long story laced with with the politics of running.

Scooby, loving the new avatar.

Nice progressive there Martin, looks like you are coming into form again and will have the "what target?" quandry again.

Blisters    pirate
19/02/2013 at 20:27

Lots on here to digest, so I'll review that later.
Nice to see some decent race reports for a change.

Legs were a bit tired today, so I decided to go for a swim, only to find the pool shut for decontamination. The alternative of a struggled run appealed less than amputation. As it was a nice evening, I went for a decent bike ride (20 miles in 1:13). Good exercise.

19/02/2013 at 20:56
Frazer- yes that DF3 is a right wind up merchant and not very PC, which makes a refreshing change. Some of his post are funny and he does ruffle a few feathers. I'll keep lurking for the amusement factor.
The tights etiquette was pretty hilarious too. You doing a bit of goading "tights, tights, tights!". Cracked me up.

Fingers- well done on the PB and great race report. When the dust has settled, are any of us totally satisfied with our race performance. There are always parts of the race we could have dealt with better. But a PB is always a step in the right direction.
19/02/2013 at 21:03

Scooby - Progressive runs are challenging, in both not going too quick too soon and steadily increasing the pace.  I started them at around 7 miles and starting at a slower pace.  You can then increase the pace by as little or as much as you want as long as each mile is quicker than the previous mile.  I usually now aim for MP at the halfway point so as to finish fast.  Today's splits were 7.37, 7.21, 7.10, 6.57, 6.47, 6.36, 6.23, 6.19 & 6.06 and then a mile cooldown.

No real quandry this time PMJ.  Not done the early mileage due to work commitments so targeting anything sub-3.

Nice quick stuff Fraser.  Not come across the troll yet!!

19/02/2013 at 21:18

Moof/Frazer - What thread is that bloke/troll on?  

Blisters    pirate
19/02/2013 at 21:21

FINgers
Now I've had a read and a think. I reckon that if you were 30 seconds slower in mile 1, and 5-10 seconds slower in the next few then you would have saved the 30-40 seconds per mile that you lost in the last 5.
It's very easy to say, but a real bitch to try and deliver. Whether at marathon or HM distance the effort level is difficult to judge.
-I've run a comfortably hard 10k, only to remember that there was another one to go. (Kaboom)
-My marathon performances are legendary. Excluding my very first, when I was saved by crowds keeping me slow, I have only done one properly out of 17 attempts. But I justify this by aiming high and accepting the failure rate. That's a tough game to play with the marathon, it's 6 months between proper races.
- If it's the game of survival, as opposed to pb hunting, then there is a better technique. Start off with the handbrake firmly applied, and keep those mile splits DOWN. At halfway you should still be at conversation pace. At 18 miles you should be working quite hard. At 23 you need to be really focussed on the mind games. After that it's just pain.

19/02/2013 at 21:24

Hello chaps, (where are all the girls...)

Mike Sheridan wrote (see)

Minni - a few posts back you asked how I did at Bramley 20?

I ran it as a progressive training run in 3 blocks of 7m, 7m and MP from M14.

Last 5m at a pace of 7:19 min/m including the final hills. Chip time of 2:39:05 so no burst blood vessels on that one.....

This followed a 4 min PB at Wokingham HM of 1:30:14 on the previous w/e in the rain

Mara PB to date - Abingdon 2012 3:24:xx; next up Boston 2013 

Mike stick around here.  Its refreshing to have others aiming for 3:15.  Sounds like you had two great runs there.

I think Ant's thighs look lush.  I've printed that photo out for my shrine.....  you do look like a giant though Ant

Mid week MLR today. 14 miles at 8:02 and felt very comfortable.  I know that will sound slow to most.... 

Great to see everyone moving in the right direction.

19/02/2013 at 21:45
Crap, just realised I forgot to log last week's runs on Jantastic. Sorry team!

Nice report FINgers. I agree with Fraser's advice above.
19/02/2013 at 21:48
Frazerelli wrote (see)
Is anyone else reading some of the posts this David Falconer 3 joker is putting up. Professional troll bordering on full time wanker but sometimes quite amusing. Looks like he spends 99% of his time on various forums

Having spent almost 4 years on here I've noticed that every year there seems to be one infamous nutter around. Devoted2distance was one, until she was finally banned. Karen Samuels was another, not sure what happened to her. Lots of people disappeared off these threads last spring / summer. I understand that some Pirates had a falling out (presumably someone got their wooden leg pulled) and the fall out resulted in many walking the plank and getting washed up on that Fetch place. (Splitters!)

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 21:49
19/02/2013 at 22:03

All this race talk is getting me excited  i have only ever done 4 races,3 maras and a Half. Doing a multi 10k start of March and Stafford Half 17 March 5 weeks out from VLM.

Another tempo tonight..........9 mi @ 6.33 mi/pace smoke proper coming off the heels lol, well it felt like it,and i thought it was going to be hard work after sundays progressive 20mi.

Upping the Mileage deffo working the magic now, aerobic tomorrow night then 70 mi road ride thurs then get another long in on friday.

Im ADDICTED.

19/02/2013 at 22:19
19/02/2013 at 22:23
19/02/2013 at 22:55

Intervals tonight - 8 x 0.55 miles. Usual slow first one in 3.18,then the rest were all 3.09 to 3.12. I think those are my fastest ever, but it has to be said that the wind was more favourable than usual, as in there wasn't any. It was bliddy freezing though. 

Martin - are you in Nottingham? It was probably Trent Meadows if you are. There's a photo floating around somewhere of me appearing out of the mists at a cross country race there from October/November. It looks better in the fog, it's actually a fairly grim place. Full of doggie doo. 

19/02/2013 at 23:29

Nice reps Gul.

Great early morning progressice 10 miler Martin. i think it is a very tough run to do and disciplined too. There are lessons to be learned frmo that kind of run, like Blisters mentioned.

Fantastic PB FINgers and interesting report too. I was lacknig the speed endurance in the last couple of miles too on Sunday, but as I am just over a third through mara training it is the bigger picture at the end of April that is more important. And the fact i can gain some valuable feedback from a half to what I need to focus more on can only be a benefit.

19/02/2013 at 23:34

Weather has been mild here, quite nice actually. Got along to a club session and dropped a group following my race. 5*1km at 4:10 pace. Actually felt ok once I'd got moving.  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.