Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,641 to 24,660 of 37,335 messages
20/02/2013 at 00:04
Keir - knee still isn't 100% but have decided to get back out there. 6.5 hilly miles Monday followed by 8 this morning (incl 6 at 7mm) alongside the Stroud canal. Bit of a gym session planned for the morning.

Great sessions from Scoobs and FINgers. Are you 2 lads planning on a 3:10 train or something a bit faster?
20/02/2013 at 05:47
Speedy - I'm working in Derby. Currently following a different cycle path out of the city each time to see where it leads. Fun exploring new places but I miss my familiar markers!!
20/02/2013 at 07:00

CL Very fast indeed. I would agree if you can run 9 miles at that pace consistantly, you may need to revise your mara target, depending on endurance.

Speedy Nice interval session. I did something very similar

Lorenzo Hope the knee holds up.

Minni Perfectly paced MLR

6 x 800m with 2 min recovery today. Very happy indeed. 4 seconds from the first to the last 2:55-2:59, so pacing was 5:48 mm to 6:00mm. I spent some time in the hurt locker.

20/02/2013 at 07:09

FINgers - great race report and congrats again on the PB.
DS2 - North Devon is beautiful, but hard work! I'm sure that was a good tempo session.
AR - recovering well.
Ant - great MT session - very encouraging.
PMJ - nice return to the track.
Martin - tidy progressive run, there.
SD - nice avatar! And even better reps.
Frazer - excellent intervals.
Blisters - glad you didn't have a problem with the bike.
Minni - that's a fast 14 miler to me! Well done.
SJ - yes, the team is not so consistently consistent this year.
CL - cracking tempo run - just be careful not to overdo it!
Speedy - great interval session.
OO - well done on doing reps so soon after that gruelling race!
Lorenzo - hope the knee holds up.
3 recovery miles in the bag this morning.

20/02/2013 at 07:33

Need to get involved in this Interval lark,only ever done a bit of farlek as i have just been concerntrating on tempo,long and aerobic runs.

20/02/2013 at 07:45
Lorenzo - 3:10 train is the target currently - a GFA place for next year would be nice. I'd like to go a little faster but we'll see nearer the time.
20/02/2013 at 07:46
Cheers Gul
20/02/2013 at 10:52

Glad that GUL's doing his summaries again. Good to see that most people are getting on fine with their training and there aren't many that are struggling or on the bench.

A few mentions, apologies to those that I've missed.

Carbloader: you seem to be flying, take care that you don't push it too far or peak too early.

Gul: how long to your 10K?

Scooby: Nice intervals, I did 7 x 1/2 miles last night, 3:02, 3:01, 3:00, 2:58, 2:56, 2:54 & 2:54, felt good especially as they didn't hurt.

Frazerelli: If you're planning on a parkrun in two weeks I guess that you are going to give the Lasswade 10 a miss.

Thinking GUL is being a bad influence on this thread as I found myself heading out the door this morning at 6:30am for a quick 20 miler before work, 8:17mm pace (23 secs a mile faster than last week) at a low end of easy HR (60% whr), legs wouldn't turn over any faster. HR was also lower than last week, amazing the difference when not running in a blizzard!

20/02/2013 at 11:14

OGL Nice session. I can confirm mine hurt. Very impressive early 20 miles before work.

Lorenzo I am training for sub 3, not sure I am in that shape yet. I believe I am currently in sub 3:04 shape, so a bit of fine tuning on pace nearer the time.

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 11:20
20/02/2013 at 13:05

Thanks indeed to Gul for his thoughtful summaries.

SBD - You asked a few pages ago re shorter distances - 5k is 18.38, 10k is 41.20. I think they both need updating but I generally don run them.

20/02/2013 at 18:52

Briefly, Minni/PMJ I was sent the Newcastle Town Moor mara entry form today - can pass on if you need it. I don't think it's a race that fills up too early though, as most people feel that hypothermia is not very life-enhancing.

Decided to take a week off, training gone to pot, feeling old/knackered enough to be Birch's grandfather's distant ancestor. Bleurgh.

20/02/2013 at 19:02
Thanks Poacher but I've already entered the Northimberland Castles marathon on the same day. Is Poachette doing the Meadows a half this year?
20/02/2013 at 19:44
Scooby - I did pretty much the same session as you tonight, 9 miles with 6 * 800's. Paces pretty much the same as well, 2.50 to to 2.56.
I haven't done any reps for a while and do struggle to get the leg speed going. They are definitely a shock to the system after a lay off.

My wife and son are staying at the mother in laws tonight. House to myself, shall I do some stretching and a core workout or pop down the shop, pick up some beer and watch the footy. Decisions, decisions.
20/02/2013 at 20:25

It's a tough call Moof - but we can rely on you to make the right decision

Mennania wrote (see)

SBD - You asked a few pages ago re shorter distances - 5k is 18.38, 10k is 41.20. I think they both need updating but I generally don run them.

You must have improved the 10K PB on the HM?  I would have thought that as long as you keep concentrating on the endurance Sub 3 should be possible on a good day. 

No intervals for me today as I've swapped P&D weeks 8 and 7 around!  So 15 miles MLR instead,  It was one of those runs that you really don't feel in the mood for and come up with all kind of excuses not to do but once you get on with it it turns out to be pretty good after all. So overall 7:51 m/m pace with 5 miles in the middle at 7:12 m/m.       

20/02/2013 at 21:02

Surely this calls for an evening off Moof?! Although footie? With the TV all to yourself there must be better things to watch other then men kissing other men. 

20 miles before work OGL! 

Stroud canal Lorenzo? Did you get as far as Nailsworth or go in the Stonehouse direction?

Good MLR SBD. Always nice to get the dreaded runs out the way and a bonus when they go well.

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 21:05
20/02/2013 at 21:10

Moof Recovery day tomorrow, nothing wrong with a quiet couple.

20/02/2013 at 21:19
Moof. Perhaps a work out involving balancing a couple if cans on your core of iron?

Any idea why your cylinders aren't fing quite right Poacher? Extraneous factors perhaps? Wise to have a wee break

OGL. No not doing Lasswade this year though it's a cracking race. Are you going along?

CL. Get thee to the track young man! Always a blast and makes you feel like a proper runner for a bit even if it is a delusion

12 tonight @ 7.20 along the canal. One of those days when it felt very smooth. Shame they don't come along more often
20/02/2013 at 21:24

Frazerelli-Yes i have a running track about a mile from where i live, might make the most of it during the spring summer etc. Not been on a track since i left school 14 years ago 

9mi tonight at MP 7.13 pace, although as been said may need revising as it felt ridiculously easy compared to say 6-8 weeks ago.

20/02/2013 at 21:28

13.5 miles this morning on tired legs, at a more-or-less steady 7:37mm pace. I'm finding this MLR the hardest to do this time around. I see that's patently not the case for SBD or Frazer - good work, lads.

Moof - The phrase "no brainer" was actually coined for just your "predicament". Anyway, a good set of reps - and by Scooby, too.

20/02/2013 at 21:40

hi guys ,i am hoping to run under 3.10 at edinburgh this may and i have just been reading through the last couple of pages of coments ,are most of you in training for london as you seem a few weeks ahead of me in terms of distance and pace but am looking for some people at around my level to bounce ideas off and get that bit extra motivation .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.