Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,661 to 24,680 of 38,681 messages
20/02/2013 at 21:54
Stick around Daniel - it's great for the motevation on here...,

That said, the CBA fairy paid me a visit today. I was supposed to be doing 10 steady but work got in the way at lunch when I normally run and by the time it was home time I was properly de-motivated so have swapped the week round a bit and taken my rest day today instead of the usual Friday.
20/02/2013 at 22:48

Welcome Daniel. I'm a recent thread joiner myself, they're a good lot round here, and always up for giving some advice, or taking some Mick. I'm aiming for 3:15 ish at Edinburgh this year, and I'm still in the endurance phase - endless mid-week 13 milers it seems. Have you run a marathon before? I must say I could do with finding a more experienced runner to follow for a bit on the day - this will be my first full, and pacing is not my strong point.

Blisters    pirate
20/02/2013 at 23:24

Start off slowly, and get slower.

21/02/2013 at 06:23

Daniel Hello, the more the merrier

Nice MLR Frazer and CL and Ant

6.25 at a leisurely 9:15mm, d&d.

21/02/2013 at 06:35

OGL - 10 weeks on Sunday - so plenty of time yet! 20 miler before work is very impressive.
Moof - cracking reps.
SBD - nice MLR.
Frazer - good canal side run.
CL - good run - you've obviously made some progress.
Ant - another good MLR.
Welcome Daniel - good luck in Edinburgh.
FINgers - hope you enjoyed the rest.
SD - You are the new thread early bird!
Another set of fast but short intervals this morning. 3 sets of 3 x 200m off 100m recoveries with 300m between sets. Again, the aim was to do each set a bit quicker than the last. Set 1: 0:41, 0:41, 0:41. Set 2: 0:39, 0:39, 0:39. Set 3: 0:35, 0:37, 0:37. I discovered in the last set that 100m isn't a long enough recovery for flat out 200m intervals!

21/02/2013 at 08:17

Gul Nice impressive reps. Very consistant indeed.

21/02/2013 at 12:28

Nice MLR Frazer, CL, ANt and Scooby. Metronomic running from Gul.

just under 12 for me last night in and around 7.30mm. No obviouys hangover from weekend

Howdy Daniel - We could do with a little history, pb details age etc.

21/02/2013 at 12:38

That's a tough session Gul.

I had my first massage in a couple of years last night. Oh the pain....but feels good today. 

21/02/2013 at 13:15

You've just reminded me to get a sports massage OO!

Great reps Gul. The shorter recoveries will be a benefit in the end Gul. The other year I was taking too long on my recoveries.

Welcome thread newbie Daniel & Lumbu, as Mennania says a bit of background in PB's and races done would be good to know.

21/02/2013 at 13:17

OO - I have had a couple of sports massages and they didn't feel painful at the time. I came away feeling decidedly shortchanged.

Sounds like a painful interval session Gul, but looks like you achieved the goal.

Rubbish run session today which I will chalk up as 'DNF'.  nuff said, and move on.

21/02/2013 at 13:21

Great summary Gul - really useful considering the lack of time I, currently, have for all things running

Sometimes I hate work..............just can't seem to find any time this week. looks better next week but i have to salvage something this week. Looks like a late MLR tonight followed by an early MLR tomorrow. Far from ideal

21/02/2013 at 13:29

DS2: I'm having one of those weeks as well.  Had to skip my run yesterday evening (having taken a rest day the day before...) and so will do a double today; 8M done this morning and will do 10M including 5M race this evening.  Not the best training methods, especially as tomorrow will be 15M, Saturday will be 8M and Sunday will be 23M.  How to cram most of a 70M into 4 days...

21/02/2013 at 13:49

Crikey Jools - I was looking at getting around 60 into the 4 days! Good luck with that!

I was planning on a double today but just too busy. First appointment at a clients house was at 8:30am and no time lunchtime! (Note to self: Stop whinging DS2!)

21/02/2013 at 14:10
Joolska wrote (see)

DS2: I'm having one of those weeks as well.  Had to skip my run yesterday evening (having taken a rest day the day before...) and so will do a double today; 8M done this morning and will do 10M including 5M race this evening.  Not the best training methods, especially as tomorrow will be 15M, Saturday will be 8M and Sunday will be 23M.  How to cram most of a 70M into 4 days...

Looks like we're all at it!

Easy day for me on Monday and Tuesday (after race) and enforced rest day yesterday means that I've got 15 tongiht, 13 with 9 at tempo tomorrow, 50mins Fartlek sat, and then 21 on Sunday.

Not ideal is it!

21/02/2013 at 14:37

I'm feeling better already. Best I get out there tonight then!

FINgers - that looks a lot of work in a few days. Good luck! As you say, not ideal, but none of us are full time athlete's and work will always interfere with a schedule at some point, I guess!

21/02/2013 at 15:02

Quite.  I'm frankly amazed I've made it from late November (I'm on the 24 week schedule, remember!) until mid-February and it's only this week things have gone really t!ts up from a work/running perspective.  Quite lucky that I'm not in the office today and tomorrow, really...

21/02/2013 at 16:35

Good to see everybody relativley injury free and knocking out the training, this thread really inspires me to get out even when the CBA syndrome kicks in lol.

Errrr rest/XT day today so i went out with my mate on the road bike and knocked out 68 miles!!, feel a bit dead now after tue,wed hard sessions of running.Proper fat burn ride and didnt really eat much(few jelly beans and a tracker bar) in the 4.5 hours i was out, so all good for the fat utilisation training lol.

21/02/2013 at 17:03

I'm hoping to get back to training proper tonight, at least 8 miles. Scarey schedule there Joolsa, take care.

21/02/2013 at 18:29
Keir - I started off at Stonehouse and ran into Stroud. Do you know that area?

Feeling rather p!ssed off at the moment as I managed to pick up some bug on Tuesday so spent most of the night in the bathroom or lying in my hotel room feeling sorry fr myself. Not in any shape to go running Weds morning but had to face a 2 hour drive home feeling like sh!t

Better today so hope to get out for a light run tomorrow and be OK to do the Brutal 10K on Saturday. Been looking forward to it as it's great fun but will be keeping my mind on the bigger picture.

Fab running / cycling from everyone else - very envious!

Having said that, I'm not feeling in great shape at the moment especially when it comes to the speed sessions, so I may have to scale back my target for VLM.
21/02/2013 at 20:36

Hi Daniel - Good place here for alot of tips about running sub-3.15.  And for the running banter you can't have with your wife!!!

Some good MLRs going on Mennania, Fraser, CL, Ant & SBD.

OGL - 20m before work is impressive.  I'd be asleep by lunchtime.

Good quick reps Gul.

Be sensible Jools.  Cramming in all of those miles will be tough.

As it looks like everyone else has been running 800m intervals I thought I'd best follow suit.  2m warm-up, 6 x 800m with 90secs recovery with 2m cooldown.  Odd numbers were downhill into the wind and even numbers uphill with a tailwind.  Splits were 2.49, 2.50, 2.51, 2.49, 2.50 & 2.48.  First proper interval session of the year, tough going but quicker than I thought.  On the bright side I was doubled over after the final rep and upon looking up I was about 3 foot from a large owl.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.