Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,721 to 24,740 of 37,453 messages
22/02/2013 at 21:09
Sac - I'm aiming for sub 3:15 too. My marathon pb is 3:20 but you are much faster than me over the shorter distance. You might have been better with the 5 slower miles rather than the 800m blasts if its your endurance you need to work on. Long runs are key. Are you following a schedule?
TR
22/02/2013 at 21:09

Badbark - great news, you obviously havnt been putting enough energy into your training !

AR - so 27M just 5 days after Bramley, a week after Wokingham ? different I suppose !

22/02/2013 at 21:16
Welcome Daniel and ssc. Stick around and yes, there are some speed demons on here so don't worry if some of their training looks ridiculously quick

Fantastic PB Jools, I have high hopes for you come April!!

Good to hear that you've bounced back Lorenzo...

Great news Badbark is that number one?

Take it easy FINgers

AR - nutter of the week (and there is stiff competition!)

Lots of quality work being put in. Very envious of the mileage being clocked up. On the plus side I appear to have turned a corner with my flakey foot and look to be on course to complete nearly a full week on my tri schedule (crosses fingers that i'm not cursing myself). Week has been as follows:

Monday - Rest
Tuesday pm - 1500m swim (meant to be longer but too many kids in hotel pool) followed by 1 hr run (treadmill)
Wednesday am - brick session - 45 min bike followed by 15 min run
Thursday pm - 1hr bike then straight into 1 hr swim interval session (3K), 30 mins for tea then 1 hr Pilates
Friday pm - 1hr run (7.8miles / 7:47mm / HR 140bpm) inc strides followed by 1hr swim interval session (3K)
Saturday - will be a 3hr ride
Sunday - will be a 1hr15min run

So schedule is mercifully still light on running and I'm hoping to match it for a couple of weeks and then start to do a bit extra. I think Manchester will definitely be treated as a training run (probably with zero taper and a very long bike the day before) but very pleased that I now have a chance of making the start line.
ssc
22/02/2013 at 21:25

Thanks for the replies, training tends to be:

Long run @ weekend - completed 18m and 20m so far with 22m planned this week.  Last week incl 5m @ 7.30.  Av pace tends to be 8-8.15 ish

Speed / threshold run - run club eve - 7m approx

One other eve run - depends on fatigue etc - 5-7m easy

3m threshold to work - av 6.30 ish    3-5m easy run home

22/02/2013 at 21:49
Stand out performance from Jools in the midst of a big week. Serious.

Welcome to SSC. Good luck with things. Looks like you have more or less the right blend to improve

Looks like it's going in the right direction for you SJ

Big mileage from you Minni. Stonking

Concur that you're showing admirable mentalist tendencies AR

Nice shagging Badbark

8 for me with 4 @ MP and some 200m messing about at beginning and end. Garmin ran out if juice so all perceived.
22/02/2013 at 22:23

Welcome SSC, my first sub 3.15 was off slower PBs than yours at all of those distances. 

22/02/2013 at 22:40

Dad-bark  very best to you & MrsDB

Time perhaps to resurrect the thread "nutter of the week" title - but hard to choose between Joolska & AR. Joolska you are so on for sub3 if the matches are not burned. AR - mara distance+ in training....some say say it's a bad idea, IMO it's a good thing to do, you are also on for a really fast one.

Welcome new posters, this is not a sub3 thread.

Minni what is your realistic target now? Training seems to have been going very well.  

Plucked up the courage to run this afo, 11m@7.35mm, but generally not good. Thinking of VLM as a fun run although it would be nice to tick off sub 3.15. All to play for.

22/02/2013 at 22:45

SSC hard to know your pedigree, stick around and you'll get a much better idea as it gets closer. On the face of it you look fast but 3:30 to 3:15 is a big jump and you might need higher weekly mileage to make such a big step. Cetainly possible though.

Had another rest day, unplanned this time. I'll do the park run but could be as low as 35 this week.    

22/02/2013 at 23:03
Poacher - still 3:15 but I'm not sure if I'll manage it on my own. I'm really pleased with the way training is going and if I can just hold on for another few weeks I'll be even happier!

OO - sounds like a busy week. Enjoy your parkrun. I'll definitely try and get down at some point.

Fraser - I've been enjoying those sessions.
23/02/2013 at 06:29

ssc Welcome, lots of good advice on here.

FINgers Nice run, hope the ankle is good.

Poacher Good to hear you are running again.

Only just got up, so running a bit later.

23/02/2013 at 06:47

Lorenzo - have fun today!
SBD - it's got to be shorts!
DS2 - good determination.
Ant - tempo run sounds good - enjoy the snow.
Badbark - congratulations - big changes afoot!
AR - I like the way you made it sound like you popped out to the shops and accidentally did 27 miles! Deserves a nomination for nutter of the week, I think.
Mennania - fast reps.
OO - I thought Edinburgh was at the end of the A1 Happy parkrunning.
FINgers - take care of that muscle.
SSC - welcome to the thread. Judging by your shorter distances you have the speed for sub 3:15, so if you can improve on endurance you should be there. Do you have a marathon booked?
Moof - nice double.
SJ - looking good - hope all is well to do a bit more running soon.
Frazer - nice session.
Poacher - good steady run.
SD - no slacking now, please!
3 mile recovery run to finish my cut-back week. Parkrun next Saturday. I usually do parkrun in my cut-back week hoping that will help me find a bit more speed. But what if the opposite were true ?

23/02/2013 at 10:05
Hello all - apologies for the lack of posts since de-lurking, but it's a struggle just to keep up when lurking!

Sleaford HM for me tomorrow, which isn't really a pb course, but will still race it
23/02/2013 at 10:48

Snow. I hate snow. Another XC disaster on the cards then. 

23/02/2013 at 11:04

SJ Hope the injuries are a thing of the past

Gul Thanks for the pep talk

LB70 Good luck tomorrow and to anyone else racing

8 miles with 10 strides. New stride PB. I am for the first time actually enjoying strides rather than seeing them as something that must be done in the schedule. Cold, wet and windy here, I bet no one knows what that is like. It was a bit of a shock to me.

23/02/2013 at 11:58

Congratulations Badbark and Mrs BB.

Welcome to the newbies.  Best thing to do is follow advice but work out your own paces.  Some of us faster ones stay on here for the people and the banter, more than the time on the thread.

AR - you must have been so annoyed when the shop was closed.  Good training run though!!

22 miles for me this morning in 2:42.  First 17 miles at ave 7.30 pace then, 6.48, 6.43, 6.21 before 2 miles cooldown. Mentally tough today through the first 17 miles as just felt as though I was plodding.  Enjoyed the faster 3 but was knackered by the end of it.

Good luck everyone running and racing this weekend.

23/02/2013 at 14:12

parkrun this morning in shorts (but t-shirt and long sleeved shirt and gloves, left the hat off for the run but used for warm up and cool down). Waiting official results but Garmin says 19:34 so nicely inside 20 minutes which was aim #1 and almost closer to 19 than 20 which is aim #2, but sometimes good to miss a target. Was helped greatly by a local female runner who normally finishes first lady and she worked me hard and it was really only at the run in that I knew it was safe as my top speed is better than hers. She really is a triathlete so doesn't run as well as she could but still handy 85 minutes half and sub 39 10k.

Feel much more ready for parkrun with Gul next Saturday: my recent parkruns have been mid 20s and I see his PB is low 19s so could be a nice head-to-head. I reckon a good tactic for you, Gul, would be 20 miles on each of Monday through Thursday and then a track session Friday

23/02/2013 at 14:14

I hereby nominate AR for Nutter of the Month. Still, bet you're pleased you did it now.

Great LR Martin - and enjoying the faster stuff is definitely a sign of madness...I mean, a good sign.

Scooby - I've always got on all right with strides because they are  A Good Thing but don't take too much out of you and are done in no time at all.

Welcome SSC - I would try and squeeze in one more run (6-8M) per week if I were you. Other than that, a good balance.

Good luck in your HM tomorrow LB70. Why isn't that a PB course? Isn't it all pancake-flat round there?

The snow we were promised hasn't materialised. Maybe it's waiting for me to get out on my LSR tomorrow and ruin it in some way.

23/02/2013 at 14:53
Thanks Scooby and Ant. I haven't done this one before but I believe it has a few hills and a couple of miles off road on a farm track

A question for you all. I've got a 5 mile club road race 11 days before VLM - do you think it would be ok to race it or would I be best doing it as a tempo run?
23/02/2013 at 14:55

LB - As it's only 5 miles, I'd say race it. In the middle of the taper it will feel good to get those legs turning over quickly. Should be a good confidence-booster, too.

23/02/2013 at 16:16

Unbelievable amounts of mud at the Brutal 10K this morning. Managed to get a mouth full of muddy water on a couple of occasions due to my enthusiasm once I'd clambered out of the chest high mud sections. I can honestly say I've never been as muddy in my whole life.

Not sure on final position, but think I was 4th vet, so not too bad for an old 'un.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.