Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,741 to 24,760 of 38,234 messages
23/02/2013 at 19:10

Lorenzo - I saw some photos on FB.  That is what I call mud!! Well done.

TR - I saw this and knowing you're a man who loves running gadgets thought you'd find it funny....

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/46278/gallery/marathon_runner.jpg?width=350

23/02/2013 at 19:39

Quick skim read of last few days - one stand-out to note above all others - step forward Jools - 10 secs per mile PB over 5 miles in a big week a great marker  . . . .
How was the National XC, Speedy? Had a text from son, he said it was pretty muddy.
Nice pic, Minni - as a veteran of many maras pre gadgets/gels etc, def raises a smile

23/02/2013 at 19:51
Minni remind me are you planning to do Town Moor? Looks like its the week after Abingdon, might try to do both. As for VLM, have you got a half or similar pencilled in to give you a feeling for what pace to hit on the day?

Lorenzo - surely you have a pic you want to post?

Went for a run this afo, combination of sleet, cold and nearly throwing up didn't help. Shouldn't have have that potato curry for breakfast.
TR
23/02/2013 at 19:58

Minni - ha ha, so I was at a cricket coaching session for my youngest y'day evening, one of the mum's there starts telling me she is a trainer, runs a few miles with the dog, used to do 1/2 maras, her brother does comrades and how many times, and about lots of their races and adventures etc.............after a while I said I ran today as I run a bit, after a while more I let slip that I'm doing VLM, a while later she asks how fast so I say sub3...................she says wow, you must do lots of speedwork to run that fast (answer no), well you must do fast fartleks etc (no), well you must train with a club (no), well you must train with others (no) so you must pace yourself on a Garmin (no) etc..........so what do you eat before a long run (nothing), how much do you drink on a long run (nothing), do you takes gel on a long run (no).............I said I just run a bit.

Edited: 23/02/2013 at 20:00
23/02/2013 at 20:01

Poacher - no official photos yet. Will post link when they're up on the website. 

23/02/2013 at 20:11
Haha TR - I bet she was impressed!

Poacher - HM next weekend then the following week another at MP, hopefully. Not doing the Town Moor as I've entered the Castles marathon the same day (Alnwick Castle - Bamburgh Castle). Actually going to run that course tomorrow as my long run, but hoping to take a shortcut somewhere to knock 3 or 4 miles off.
23/02/2013 at 20:14

Birch - it was muddy, but not nearly as bad to run in as the Midlands. I ended up muckier though. Even had mud in my hair and behind my ears. Finished 99th of 427. I didn't really 'race' it as it was still too sludgy for any real speed, but at least we were spared the slush puppy stuff that we had in Stafford. 

23/02/2013 at 20:32
Well done speedy and Lorenzo on your muddy exploits today.

8 miles for me this morning with a 10 sets of strides, the first couple are always a bit sluggish, I feel I need to do a few sets of strides to get warmed up for a few sets of strides.
Snowing again for the hole run, always seems to be blowing in my face no matter what direction I'm going.
23/02/2013 at 20:46

Nice one, Speedy - top 25% (prob about 23% if my mental arithmetic is sound) is fine result in National. 

24/02/2013 at 11:49

Nice tough running Lorenzo and Speedy

Weather was a lot better today. I was not helped by the fact I dressed for cold and I had the remains of a heavy night in my system. Oh the joys of running whilst the alcohol leaves the body at an excessive rate. Sweating like I don't know what for the first few miles. I did not enjoy any of it. Still 15 miles bagged at 8:05 pace, which was a lot quicker than I expected at the start.

24/02/2013 at 12:56

Good dirty running Lorenzo and Speedy Any pictures of your kit post race?

That runner won't get anywhere with a heel strike like that Minni! 

Nice story TR.

I spent quite a bit of last night thinking of Poacher. I ran my first Ultra - 32.75m at the Moonliht Ultra. Detailed report on my thread, but it was bloody cold and I had to force myself to keep consuming the calories with Poacher's words about making sure I properly fuelled myself ringing in my ears. Although it is nt a race, it was nice to be the 1st over the line for the 2nd time this year. Legs battered but all good otherwise. 

Edited: 24/02/2013 at 13:05
24/02/2013 at 13:01

As ever, some inspiring stuff going on here! My vote for Nutter of the month is AR, with Jools a very close second. cracking work from both of you.

Have hardly had any time for the forum this week so welcome to the newbies (apologies if I've already done that!).

TR - that account of your running made me chuckle from start to finish.

Speedy - great going at the National. lorenzo - any pics yet?

I managed 20.85 miles (Garmin measured) this morning at 8:19mm. Felt carp all the way which just about summed up my running for the past 9 days or so - wrecked by family/work commitments. Still, I must not get too down and take some positives:

1. That's my longest training run in 19 years;

2. I hit my intended pace bang on all the way, gradually progressing to the last 5 in 8mm average (but it felt much harder than I hoped it would);

3. I still have 11 weeks to go until the Halstead Marathon.

4. Another long, hilly, endurance run D&D - must have some effect down the line????

Any other positives will be gratefully received

Anyone racing today?

A question - my shoes are getting to the end of their life and I should have a new pair delivered tomorrow. Would running in the old ones have had much effect on my legs? They felt dead - almost lifeless? Or am I just tired?

24/02/2013 at 13:04

Keir - X-post! Well done on completing that and being first across the line. Amazing work!

I thought it was bloody cold at 8am this morning. it must have been almost arctic over night.

Off to your thread now for the detailed report!

24/02/2013 at 13:10

Good positives there DS2. Getting a 20m in the bag with 9 days of work hell and 11 weeks still to go shows you are on track. I think the thread wisdom for sub 3.15 is 5 x 20m LSRs. Tired trainners will add fatigue to your legs. Save the old ones for shorter, easy runs and use your new ones for longer and faster runs. Probably worth buying a new pair for Halstead, were them for just 1 of your 20milers and then put them back into teh box for the big day. 

TR
24/02/2013 at 13:23

DS2 - advice ? yes, well done. Longest run in 19 years and still 11 weeks to go. Give it 3 more and you'll be shelling peas at that pace. The body soon adapts, I was struggling to bag 17M 6 weeks ago and yet I made last weeks long and hilly 22M last for 2:46 and felt like i could have done it again. Well done sir. Keep it up and race day should go swimmingly !

24/02/2013 at 13:24

Wow, well done Keir.  Personally I think it's close call between you and AR for nutter of the week award - I've been pipped to the post at the last minute by you doing a 32.5M ultra in the middle of the night mid-marathon training!

23M at a plodtastic 8.11m/m for me to round off what is probably the most poorly structured 70M training week I have ever done, namely: Mon pm: 6M easy; Tues/Weds: no running due to work; Thurs am: 8M steady; Thurs pm: 10M incl. 5M pb; Fri am: 15M steady; Sat am: 8M incl. 10 x 100m strides; (Sat pm: rehearsal + concert + beer...); Sun am: 23M...

24/02/2013 at 14:37

So Keir you won the race, excellent work. Night running is an acquired taste, personally I like it although tree roots etc can be a hazard. Night fell running is a bit dangerous. Ultrarunning and eating go together so well .  What was your time for that distance? On the road in daylight, a decent speed would be about MP+40-60sec/m but at night it's probably slower. Also, what solids did you manage to scoff?

DS - good effort, good for morale, it's all good in fact.

Joolska - another excellent week

Ditto Speedy, looking good.

After 16m yesterday afternoon I decided to force myself to work harder this morning at the Radcliffe 10m trail race. An unforgiving course and I felt like an aging horse which has just seen a Findus lorry arrive at the stables. Didn't have a watch but time was about 70min, a little bit down on last year but a good workout. Onward and upward.

24/02/2013 at 14:37

Great result Keir - How is that not a race, then? Course it is, esp. if you were first over the finish line!

Just the 23 then, Jools? Nicely rounds off an amazing week, all told.

Scooby - Hope last night was worth feeling so bad for this morning - getting 15 done in those circumstances requires big heap mental fortitude.

DS2 - Ah, so now you know what 20-milers feel like! Great effort, esp. if it was hilly. Wearing old shoes may not be the only reason you felt tired, but they won't have helped. This kind of training pays out big dividends down the line, probably in 3-4 weeks

I bagged my third 20-miler of the campaign this morning. The snow forecast didn't happen; instead I got a freezing drizzle followed by torrential rain/hail/sleet. My hands and feet were, unusually for me, absolutely freezing. Luckily the rest of me was all right  - I'm not quite at the pea-shelling stage, but not far off: maybe it's like peeling potatoes at this stage. Av. pace 7:32, incl. 8M @ MP, which didn't feel all that much quicker - a good sign.

That makes 58 miles for this week. Four weeks to go!

Edited: 24/02/2013 at 14:38
24/02/2013 at 14:43

Poacher - x-post - Well battled, Sir.

I also saw some photos of Lorenzo's mud-fest yesterday, and can assure the thread that he was not exaggerating. Just coming home with both pairs of shoes and socks still attached to your feet would be classed as a great result!

Well done Speedy - hope you didn't have it quite as bad as Lorenzo!

24/02/2013 at 14:47
Stonking week there Jools. Very impressive.

Very well done Keir. Was that your first ultra? How are you planning to handle recovery?

Well done to Speedy and Lorenzo too.

Good running DS2.

Nice alcohol purging session Scoobs

1hr15 of very hilly off road running this morning. Very nice.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.