Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,781 to 24,800 of 38,945 messages
24/02/2013 at 20:41

Poacher - not quite.  Starts in Alnwick, around the Lions, then heads through Denwick and towards Longhoughten.  There's a few miles done over private land, I'm assuming on farm lanes (we stuck to the road main road today), Boulmer, Craster (goes almost down into Craster then back up onto the coastal road).  Embleton, where we took a drinks break in the bus shelter - classy), past your roadend and up to Swinhoe.  From there take a left and head towards Bamburgh.  And here's the sting, about a mile from Bamburgh - you can almost touch the castle - a loop of 3 hilly miles is added in. 

The first 4ish miles are a steady climb out of Alnwick then there a few undulating miles before it flattens out for quite a way.  The main issue will be traffic.  I've sent them an email asking if the roads will be part closed.  Its very twisty and there was a lot of traffic today.  In a lot of places there were no verges so we had to stop and stand right into the hedges to get the cars past.  I'm not sure how they will approach this.

I'll do more runs on it and suss it out further.   Denfinitely not a pb course, unlike the Town Moor.

Edited: 24/02/2013 at 20:42
24/02/2013 at 20:57

Well done LB70 on a great PB.

Keir- congrats on the win in your debut ultra (I think). Hope you are having an easier week to fully recover.

Lots of cracking runs and top mileage by others.

19 miles for me this morning, was supposed to only run 16 as should be a cut back week (62 miles, Ha!)

Despite the extra mileage, I'm not feeling too fatigued even though  halfway through the Mara training campaign. Must mean I haven't burnt too many matches.

24/02/2013 at 21:24
Edited: 24/02/2013 at 21:35
24/02/2013 at 22:10

Lorenzo, those photos are absolutely priceless. Madness.

24/02/2013 at 22:23
Brilliant pics Lorenzo.
Edited: 24/02/2013 at 22:23
24/02/2013 at 22:40
Lorenzo- great pics, not my idea of fun though. Give me tarmac any day.
24/02/2013 at 23:02
Late entry to nutter of the week. Congratulations Lorenzo
25/02/2013 at 06:46

Lorenzo Hmmm Interestng definition of the word run.

25/02/2013 at 06:48

SD - glad you're enjoying the strides.
Martin - very strong finish to that 22 miler.
PMJ - good parkrunning. It's been a while since I did a parkrun, so I'll be very happy just to keep you in sight! BTW KL parkrun is supposedly a bit on the short side. Thanks for the training advice
LB70 - a 5 mile race 11 days before VLM should be time enough to recover.
Lorenzo - mouthfuls of muddy water? Sounds like a hoot.
Minni - amusing pic.
Poacher - interesting breakfast choice!
TR - nice story.
Speedy - excellent result. Well done.
Moof - good striding.
Bit short of time, so Sunday summary to follow later...

25/02/2013 at 07:26

Bliddy hell, Lorenzo.  That looks absolutely vile!  Out of interest (and on behalf of my fellow short-arses) how tall are you if the mud was up to your armpits??

25/02/2013 at 08:10

Lorenzo - That is absolute madness!

Jools - I think you may have been eating the mud

Have gone down with a cold. No surprise really since my PA had one last week and my in-laws went down with it over the weekend! Might explain the way I felt yesterday.I'm taking that as a positive - 20+ miles whilst under the weather............

25/02/2013 at 08:13
Lorenzo - those pics remind me of school cross country - I'm sure the School Masters would deliberately set the course to be as miserable as possible in those days!

Keir - congrats on the win!

LB70 - good work in the PB - and to pull it back after being a minute down after 4 miles too - looking good for later in the spring.

Everyone Else - some good running in there with some top LSRs being posted.

My busy life continues - this time children's parties are the main interference - the problem with having a lot of friends made at anti-natal class is that now all the kids birthday parties arrive in the same few weeks each year! We took Miss FIN to two this weekend and then another couple are planned next week. Consequently my long runs are suffering a little at the moment (and I overslept too...) - I had 21 planned but only had time for about 15 yesterday.

My right foot/ankle is still some cause for concern as it seemed to be ok for the first part but seemed to flare up as I went on. I probably could have fitted another couple in before dashing to party but was at a convienient stopping point (home!) so called it a day early.

Still, 48 for the week including 2x15s and a 12 so not too bad.

I now need to nail all the long runs tho between now and D-day else I won't have the prerequisite 5x20 in. Not yet gone over 18.5 so that's a little worry.
Edited: 25/02/2013 at 08:15
25/02/2013 at 08:42

And so for Sunday...
SD - still freezing here. Good MLR.
Keir - congrats on a cracking ultra debut.
DS2 - very good LSR if you were feeling lousy. Old shoes may have contributed a bit, but more likely just fatigue, but that's good as long as you're not over-training. Get well soon.
Jools - liking the new schedule - that's a fast 23 miler at the end of that week!
Poacher - good 10 mile race - sounding more positive.
Ant - great 20 miler - sounds like the snow would have been preferable.
SJ - good hilly run.
LB70 - congrats on the PB - that's a cracking time. A friend of mine PB'd at Sleaford yesterday too.
Minni - good LSR to finish another stonking week. Well done.
RFJ - well-earned sleep!
OO - take care of that hip.
Blisters - greetings to the sane one. Good plodding.
Martin - a good week.
Speedy - 18 miler in a cut-back week!
CL - cracking progressive run - more confidence boosting.
Frazer - well done on spotting Minni during a blind run!
Moof - another interesting take on a cut-back week.
Lorenzo - you can't possibly run in that mud!!! Unbelievable. Well done.
FINgers - hope the ankle is OK.
Dunce's cap for me this morning. Did 10 miles with 6 x 1200m @ 10k pace off 400m recoveries. Aiming for 4:24 for the intervals. First one in 4:40. Too slow, so put a bit more effort in. 4:32. Still too slow, but felt like a reasonable effort to me. The alarm bells should have been ringing by now, but I carried on. Third rep also in 4:32. Then I realised my mathematical error - my 10k pace would be 4:48! Eased up a bit and finished the session with a more reasonable 4:51, 4:47 and 4:43. D'oh!

25/02/2013 at 08:51
Gul Darr wrote (see)

PMJ - good parkrunning. It's been a while since I did a parkrun, so I'll be very happy just to keep you in sight! BTW KL parkrun is supposedly a bit on the short side.

Odd thing is that the route on the website bears very little resemblance to recent runs I find on Garmin connect e.g.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/273748323

Both look bad, the official is 3 laps and 3 180 degree turns, the trace has 6 180 degree turns.

25/02/2013 at 09:01

PMJ - there has been a large expanse of water across the diagonal path, so an alternative route has been in use. Not sure if it's still the same alternative route, but the one they were using in the autumn is allegedly even shorter than the official course. Having said that, the water has almost cleared now. And yes, the 180 degree turn in each of the 3 laps doesn't help (or 2 in each of the alternative laps!)

Edited: 25/02/2013 at 09:02
25/02/2013 at 09:07

Ha ha Lorenzo, definite nutter territory

Minni - parts of that route look dangerous unless there are road closures. The coast road from Embleton north to Beadnell is especially bad. But closing it would be difficult as there really aren't alternatives for drivers.    Hmm. Need more info, unless the roads shut I would not do it.

25/02/2013 at 09:17

Gul Maybe you need to revise your 10k time down? Smashed the first 3, well done on a great session.

25/02/2013 at 09:38

Pretty nifty intervals indeed Gul - time to revise your 10K pace

Very mad from Lorenzo - do you actually have to pay to take part?

Great midnight win from Keir - although slightly mad as well.

Lots of good long runs being bagged by everyone else and an excellent recovery run from Blisters (they're just as important!).

22.5 miles for me yesterday although this required some serious zipping up of the man suit to get through it.  That gives me another 74 mile week and a good block of 4 weeks.  Time for a cut-back week and then another 4 weeks of quality training before the taper

25/02/2013 at 11:42
Hi folks,
Returned from an unexpected work trip to Toulouse over their weekend, so after being away for 28 day's been busy getting reacquainted with the family!

Plenty of superb performance's being posted and loads of good quality long runs too.
Gul has summed the weekends runs up nicely so cheese for that, nice reps too, could you have finisished the last three reps at the the earlier pace? Still agree with others time to adjust the predicted 10k time...

Unfortunately I will not be running London this year, with limited training lately, work and my ITB knee problem earlier this year I have lost too much time, so will look at an Autumn Marathon somewhere.Hope to see some of you next year.

Oh sorry to the CCSTF team for my absence.

Good to see so many running really well, keep up the good work and the very best of luck to you all.
25/02/2013 at 12:34

good to have you back efc-col. Hope you can stick around as your autumn marathon plans unfold.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.