Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,861 to 24,880 of 37,142 messages
25/02/2013 at 13:35

Good error though Gul, at least you got some good times out of the reps!

Brilliant toal for the week SBD and a 22 miler to seal it off. Bet your man suit is sweaty!

Probably a tough but wise decision efc? Hoep the ITB eases.

20 miles yesterday for me in 2.34.19 with a negative split of about 4/5 minutes. Tried to keep it easy paced first half, then got down to low 7.30's by mile 13 and then 3 miles at 7.10 pace. Pleased to have got the first 20 miler out of the way. Legs feel it a bit today, but isn't that a good sign?

25/02/2013 at 14:14

Good Work KR what's your target race/Time?

In fact, where's that list? I think that it's time for a re-cap? Who keeps it these days?

6m easy for me today at lunch - no real problems with the ankle, which is a good thing.

Edit: was far too trigger happy with the submit button.

Edited: 25/02/2013 at 14:15
25/02/2013 at 15:08

Thanks for all the kind words everyone and yes it will be my first child.

Great racing Keir and Speedy well done!

It’s good to see so many long runs bagged by Jools, DS2, Ant, Minni, Frazer, moof, SBD and KR and anyone I may have missed.

Nice PB LB70.

Love the pics Lorenzo! F-ing brutal

Sorry to hear about your injury woes efc-cool.

I managed my first ever week of over 80 miles last week. That included 9 runs over 6 days with 1 rest day. I ran a 14 miler mostly at MP, an 8.5 miler with 2 x 2 mile tempo intervals and a 23 mile LSR in about 2:52. The other 6 runs were all easy paced with 1 finishing with 10 x 10 sec hill sprints.

The 23 mile LSR was run without looking at my Garmin until the end. I decided just to run easy until the last 2 miles and then run at MP. I was very surprised to find my easy pace was MP + 45 secs and my MP finish was MP – 15 secs. Average pace was about 7:30 and I’m targeting sub 3 so well on course. I’m over the moon with this run as it felt very easy throughout and I had plenty in the tank at the end.

I think I may have finally found an amazing secret about running. Shhh, don’t tell anyone else but I’ve discovered that running higher mileage makes your longer runs much easier!

25/02/2013 at 15:14

It's amazing, isn't it, Badbark?  Even at the end of 64M in 4 days, I could do 23M unfuelled with no water.

25/02/2013 at 15:21

I reckon you need to revise that sub 3 target BB. How about setting out at 6.45m/m MP for the first few miles and seeing how you feel. If all good, lower to 6.40m/m and go for sub 2.55. If 6.45s feel to fast you can go back to 6.52m/ms without having burnt out. 

edit: I think this falls into the ambitious category without breaking the 'don't be greedy' rule. 

Edited: 25/02/2013 at 15:24
25/02/2013 at 15:36
Good news FINgers.

Great news BB. That's an impressive week!
TR
25/02/2013 at 16:13

Jools - who'd have thunk it. Left after right often. The body is an amazing thing and adapts well if you give it a chance. I'm with Moof I feel like I have plenty of matches left, was only thinking that I feel too fresh the other day, but then I'm looking at ~370M through Jan and Feb this time (due to missing some of Jan with knee issues)compared to 499 last time.

25/02/2013 at 17:41

I think I'm on 519M for the year so far

25/02/2013 at 17:49

Year total 176 here  - however, 16 more brings up 53,000 since I started recording mileage

25/02/2013 at 19:33

Great stat Birch - couple of times round the world and a bit more!!

Some more impressive 20 milers bagged - great to see some 23 milers in the bag already from BB and Jools.

Good news on the ankle FINgers.

Gul - have you got a calculator down on your list of possible birthday presents? 

Jools - just to reassure you that a. I'm about 5 ft 11 and b. the water wasn't really up to my neck, I'd slipped over and I think the shot caught me on the way to going in face first!

Meant to do 10 miles this morning, but got a bit carried away and ended up with just short of 12. It wasn't quite the Rhone Valley with all the grapes on the vines, but it still made me thirsty running through the Denbies vineyard. 

25/02/2013 at 19:56
Great mileage from SBD and Badbark. Agree that the quick last couple of miles for you point to well under 3 BB

Still sounding typically upbeat TR. good stuff

Keep it sensible DS2. Respect the bug and ease back if you're a bit under the weather.

Sensible decision efc-col. That's the good thing about this lark - there's always another one

Good long one with fast bits from you too KR. I've noticed your training paces having been really stepping up recently. Is the sub3 assault on the cards soon?

Pootle today. Track tomorrow. Life is forcing a couple of low mileage weeks but kind of feel I could do with that just now and a refresh. Hard to fit all the other stuff in sometimes eh
25/02/2013 at 20:23

Remarkable star Birch- you must be due a trade in with all those miles on the clock!

25/02/2013 at 21:33

Badbark - Great long run topping off really impressive mileage. Surprised you ever found time to er, well - you know.

KR - Looking very good for you, I'd say.

Lorenzo - Shame Denbies' wine is not that great...really overpriced, too. I did have a decent English white once (bought in Waitrose, I think) but I can't remember where it was from...

27 days () out from my marathon, I am now eating everything that moves, and many things that don't. I'm trying to keep to sensible choices (apart from a nascent addiction to Mini-choco-Weetabix), but it's a struggle not to sit there munching all day long...

408 miles for me in 2013.

ssc
25/02/2013 at 21:48

Great running on here.  Can i ask what people's experiences are of race pace during their long runs?

I have always struggled with these when on my own, even to the extent when i have doubted the target time i've aimed for yet when race day has arrived the pace has not only been ok i've been holding myself back  early on in the race and have been able to really push towards the end. 

Tried to run 6miles @ MP+ 60s, 6miles @ MP+30s, 6 miles @ MP but the MP felt really tough and had to bail out early after 5 miles and calf muscles are really struggling today.  A lot of training plans have lots which look tough such as 18 miles with last hour at race pace.

How much race pace does everyone practice?

25/02/2013 at 22:19
ssc wrote (see)

How much race pace does everyone practice?

Very little and certainly nothing like those progressive runs. I did a 20 mile race at MP but that was with a number on my chest and was more to counter mental fragility than any other reason. Did a lot of runs faster than MP but that was all tempo runs, races, parkruns etc etc so when it came to M day I felt that MP was easy.

25/02/2013 at 22:46

Evening all, not a regular poster but with April drawing ever near its interesting to see people's progress, some crazy mileage goin' on! 19.5M for me today in 2.27 with a fair bit of incline. A recent PB of 1:25 in a local half marathon has made me pretty hopeful of sub 3:15 come April. I did my first marathon in October at Chester 3:26 so come on guys, am I on course for sub 3:15 ?!! 

25/02/2013 at 22:53
450 year total so far.

Thrilling run late afternoon over cliff tops with sheer drops down to the wild seas below. Crashing waves, hidden coves, secret caves - it was like something out of the Famous Five.
25/02/2013 at 22:57

Good you were able to do 6 miles without ankle woe FINgers. Marathon is Manchester, although target pace is yet to be decided. However I reckon a sub 3 is probably off the scale at the moment and around 3.05 is more realistic. I know it's only 5 minutes, but they are a big 5 minutes!

Monster mileage week BB - that's a big total and tasty 23 miler. Looking goood!

Birch - I think you have circumnavigated round the world or sumfink with that 53k total!

Ant - if it moves eat it!

26/02/2013 at 06:17

KR Nice 20 bagged

SBD and BB Very impressive 23 milers

SSC That is a very tough run, especially running on your own. Plus you are currently mid training and are tired. Race day comes at the end of a 3 week taper.

Ant If it moves, eat it. If it doesn't, poke it then eat it.

6 mile bimble this morning, brings me to 505 for the year. Another 4 miles planned for this evening

Edited: 26/02/2013 at 06:18
26/02/2013 at 06:44

No time to read back till later, I'm afraid. 12 miles @ 9:01 m/m d&d.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.