Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,881 to 24,900 of 37,655 messages
28/02/2013 at 14:06

Is it Thanet 20 you are running DS2? If so, see you there! 

28/02/2013 at 14:08
Also-ran wrote (see)

BM86 - That's just me - I need the sort of control that Jools, Speedy, PMJ, Keir and others have, which comes with experience. For now I am not to be trusted.

I am not to be trusted with 4 pins and a number either, the control I have is mainly not entering too many races and the cost of diesel and entry at the moment is a great incentive to jog to parkrun each Saturday.

6x800 for me at lunch on the goose shit track (and on the bird theme, if a female is a moorhen, surely the male is moorcock?). Did 3:01, 2:56, 2:57, 2:57, 2:57, 2:56 so once I got measure of the cross wind a fairly even set. Bit slower than I wanted (2:55 would have been nice) but there was a reasonable wind so nothing to cry about.

28/02/2013 at 14:13

PMJ - nice set of reps there!

keir - no, stupidly I agreed to catch up with some others at the Surrey Spitfire 20 so will have a much earlier start than I could have had! Have a good run. Is yours 4 laps?

28/02/2013 at 14:22

A figure of 8 I think. 2 hills in the first half. 4 laps is ideal for a progressive run.

28/02/2013 at 15:51

AR Nice Long one popped in.

PMJ Nice consistant reps

BM86 I would echo the advice of the others, I think 20 at MP is too much to risk/recovery from. The biggest confidence boost I ever had, when I KNEW I was going to get my target time was; 5 miles warm up, 13.1 at MP (entered a HM race) and 2 cool down. The 13.1 was so comfortable I knew 26.2 was in the bag.

Ant I think my body has fully adjusted to the higher miles. Usual right calf tightness (ball), which I need to stretch a couple of times a day, but I have thisquite often. My shoulder is still sore/tender/painful from my fall 5 weeks ago, which is my biggest concern. I need to rest it, but that is not going to happen until 22nd April.

The bad thing at the moment is I am struggling to really enjoy the runs, purely from "another run coming up", "only 12 miles, what is the point" etc. I get the point, but the shorter the run the more I have to force myself to do it. I suppose quite common (I have never run 6 days a week before either) 11 weeks in but still 7 weeks to go.

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 15:54
28/02/2013 at 15:58

Scooby - I don't think 20 miles constitutes a long run for AR these days. After all he does 27 miles just popping to the shops!!!

28/02/2013 at 16:01

Scooby. Don't think 7 weeks to go, think 4 weeks to go till the taper. 

28/02/2013 at 18:23
2 shiny new pairs of Wave Inspires arrived the other day. Celebrated this morning with a 10 miler including 8 at 7min/mile.
28/02/2013 at 20:18

7 weeks to go?  Can believe its coming around so soon.

Where's the list?  Poacher?

28/02/2013 at 20:21

Just popping in too here.... been manic over the last week or so with a night shift and normal work as well.... due to that had an early finish today so made use of it to do a decent LSR - 17m done in 2:15:31 which inc 775 ft of accent and made 228.26m for the month of Feb, so very happy with that.

Bath half on Sunday - never done that one before so looking forwards to it... will be going hard, but will be interesting to see how mashed the legs are

Love the 1st few runs in new shoes.... always makes it feel better....

Take care

28/02/2013 at 20:21

Good consistent reps PMJ.  Very good pace.

BM86 - Echoing everyone else; I am entered into a 20m race but will be running it progressively.  To do this I make sure I start well down the field and run with some slower people for a few miles before pushing on.  Finishing slightly faster than MP but overtaking so many people gives a great confidence boost.

Great photo Ant.

Scooby - I found myself feeling like that a couple of years ago when being mentored by Gobi.  I was putting myself under pressure to do every run and found myself losing the enjoyment.  Try and find a new route or some other way of shaking it up a little to bring back the enjoyment (tough when running 6 times per week).  I decided last year that the majority of my runs would be those I enjoyed (weirdly I enjoy the harder, faster ones).

On the subject of birds I got dive-bombed twice by a bird of prey on Tuesday.  Not sure what it was protecting but it was a little unnerving.

4x1 mile reps at sub 6m/m pace on Tuesday and a 10m progressive (mile 9 at 5.56 pace) run this morning brings up 169 miles for February and 319 for the year.  Almost 100 miles down on this time last year!!!

TR
28/02/2013 at 20:34

scooby - give yourself the odd day off if you fancy it, a couple of missed runs over the next month isnt going to ruin a campaign, esp if you just miss an easy womble. Its the consistency over the 18 weeks that will count and 18 weeks is a massive amount of running. Have a beer or two too !

TR
28/02/2013 at 20:36

Martin - I'm on 372 for Jan and Feb compared to 499 last year. I'm in trouble if the missing 25% makes me 25% slower, ha ha !

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 20:39
28/02/2013 at 20:56

Shameless requests for "likes" on facebook for my posting for video of the week on marathontalk (if you can't find the post, switch to posts by others) for PMJette #1 at the BUCS indoors. Don't let her know as it will inflate her ego way too much but she would trash me and most likely a lot of you as well over 200m. Don't know where the power comes from: neither Mrs PMJ nor myslef are built for power.

BM86, I think one 20 mile race is great, just two is excessive.

OO, last year you did that great sub 3 (always sounds good) off the back of Spen 20 which must have been a bit faster than MP. What will two 20s give you this year that one didn't last year and what is MP (and aim) this year? I was actually thinking of not racing a 20 at all, but mainly because there are none in the autumn.

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 20:58
ssc
28/02/2013 at 20:57

RE: 20m run and race pace work

Following my brief question last week about finding race pace sections hard and whether this is normal, i have promptly been unable to run this week due to calf being knotted which is proving v slow to recover.  With hindsight, after a few weeks of ramping up the miles and speeds i should just have completed the 20m long run at a slow pace and would have been able to continue running this week.  Hoping it wont take too long to be back but it is likely that this and next weeks running will be virtually wiped out (unless anyone has great advice on recovery from this, am foam rolling and stretching lots).

28/02/2013 at 21:03

Always nice when you wear a new pair of trainers, makes you realise how shagged the old ones are. Put on my new brooks today for a 6 mile plod.

Scooby- I know where you're coming from, last year half way through the mara training it did become a bit of a slog. No problems this year so far even though I'm now running 6/7 days a week.

263 miles for Feb and 552 for the year so far, hope its all worth the extra effort.

SSC- a sports massage usually sorts out my tight calfs, if that is your problem. A wall paper roller (as rec. by TR) is a good cheap alternative to self massage those suckers.

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 21:04
28/02/2013 at 21:12

290 miles for February and 490 for the year to date for me.

Once you've got through this week Scooby the P&D schedule starts to become more fun.  Have you got races planned for the tune-up and MP sessions?

5 miles recovery today - I'm using the treadmill for these but only to give the legs a rest from the concrete. 

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 21:14
28/02/2013 at 21:47

Scooby - I found that 16 weeks' specific mara training is a slog, no question - especially if you don't like running enough, as is probably my principal failing. With a sufficient base 12 should be enough. But don't worry, this is-it-worth-it? period will pass, and you'll soon be flying high and feeling good. Again.

Lorenzo - Pacy from you - hopefully I'll emulate your fine effort tomorrow morning...

SSC - I agree that a sports massage will probably do the trick for you. just don't expect it to be much fun.

Great reps from PMJ and Martin.

28/02/2013 at 22:15

PMJ, my plan this year is the same as last year. I'm counting the Buttermere race (21.2 miles) as the other 20 miler. Sorry if I confused you. Allowing for the 2 big hills which cost me about 9 minutes I was more or less at MP for Buttermere.

Jools I do like your idea of running 20 miles progressively if I have the self control.  I went below MP at the Spen 20 last year averaging 6:44 per mile, so 8 secs inside MP-and Spen is a hilly course. Might give the progression a go this year.  

28/02/2013 at 22:20

I was also on the track tonight much to the distaste of my hip; 400M,800,1200,1200,800,400. We were given the same pace for each effort of 1:26 per 400m. We fell slightly short on most of them. Tough session and the hip survived.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.