Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,921 to 24,940 of 37,449 messages
02/03/2013 at 10:55

Minni - I'm ashamed of you! This is a thread for diet-conscious, teetotallers only. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since, er, Wednesday evening!

Good session last night Mennania - I can imagine you'll have needed the recovery.

Which TV channel is the PMJ - Gul smackdown on?

Just over 20 miles for me this morning with some challenging hilly bits in there. Glad to have got that under my belt as thanks to other things happening, I only managed one 20 miler in Feb.

Edited: 02/03/2013 at 10:56
02/03/2013 at 11:06

Keir - Not seen that guy since "the incident".  Obviously I am not as attractive as I once was!!!

Good running yesterday Ant.  A sub 7m/m session is never going to feel easy, especially coming into taper-madness time.

Excellent pre-race preparation Minni.  If it works we want full details of what and how much was consumed so we can try it pre-VLM!!

That's a very fast paced run Mennania.  A definite confidence booster.

Good to see you getting a 20 done Lorenzo.

20 miles for me this morning.  8m at ave 7.23, 4m at ave 6.30 pace, 2m at ave 7.18, 4m at 6.26 inc last mile at 6.13 pace. Then 2m to cooldown.  The first block of MP miles felt tougher than the second which was pleasing.  But still have no idea how I managed to keep that pace for 26.2 last year!!!

02/03/2013 at 11:15

Apologies for the flying visit (should be preparing tomorrow's sermon  ). Just to say hats off to PMJ who won the smackdown hands down. Official results not in yet, but my watch gave me a 19:42 and PMJ reported 18:52, I think. I kept in touch the first lap (6:04), but then tailed off for the last two. Good to catch up, even though I couldn't keep up! Have a good weekend running and racing folks - I might report back later if all goes well

02/03/2013 at 12:59

Great work Gul. Getting within 50sec of PMJ is a decent result. I bet you were closer to your pb than he was.

Blisters    pirate
02/03/2013 at 13:10

44 miles on the bike this morning, with an incident packed ride. The Group leader and his unofficial deputy both threw their rattles out of the pram and disappeared off. I blame them for trying to make it too challenging. It just split the pack into bits.

Hopefully run this afternoon: an actual race! OMG. That's going to hurt.

02/03/2013 at 16:07

I have 18:53 on the Garmin (so almost a minute down on my parkrun PB of 17:55 at Bushy). Aim was to be closer to 19 than to 20 so sub 19 was a bonus. I need to understand why King's Lynn parkrun is 5knad (nead as damn) and not 5k as it is super flat and tarmac paths all the way so if it were 5k it would be a super fast one. Garmin says 2m gain. Run was exactly what the doctor ordered: a few runners out front and then a guy joined me and we took turns pushing and chasing down the runner in front. We caught him at 2.5 laps in and I took the lead of the group briefly but soon the cardio-vascular system said enough is enough so I had to drop back a few metres but was kept honest by another fast finishing runner.

Great to see Gul again: the course does an out and back and first lap he was on my heels, didn't seem much further back either on the second and it was only by the third that I was confident.

Dinner at my old college definitely helped:

Salmon
Duck
Crème brûlée
Gangeneuve Sauvignon Blanc 2010
Vina Eguia Rioja Reserva 2006
Château du Juge 2008
Blandy's Duke of Clarence Maderia
Dow's LBV 2005

Need to make this my regular pre-race preparation

02/03/2013 at 16:48
Food of a champion PMJ. Well done and good effort Gul. We should have more of these smackdown events. Good spectator sport!

1 hr hilly offload run yesterday followed by 3K swim (58:30) then 45 mile ride this morning in 2:45. Managed to pathetically fall off my bike as I ground to a halt on a hill after my chain came off and i couldnt get my foot out of the clip. I was tempted to shout "timber!!!".

Long run tomorrow of... wait for it....hr 15mins.... Ahem
Blisters    pirate
02/03/2013 at 17:22

5km County Road Race Championships.

Didn't know what the legs had in them, but went out and gave it everything.
Time 20:32, which a smidgen over 6:30m/m, so I'm, well pleased with that.
Won a packet of choc chip cookies and a County Medal for my efforts.

02/03/2013 at 17:31

Good work, Blisters! Any biccies left?

Good man, PMJ! Eat to compete, that's what I say! Well done Gul on keeping a polite distance .

I envy Martin and Lorenzo having got their long runs in already - nice going, lads.

Especially well done Mennania for staying "on track", and so pacily, too. Don't let them grind you down etc.

02/03/2013 at 18:10

I was 18:50 at my local parkrun but the offical results show me as unknown runner with no time. It would have been a great day for a long run but I only managed 5 before heading off to work. Hope the weather stays good for the morning but somehow I doubt it.

02/03/2013 at 18:38
Well done to the park and long runners

Tricky week for me. After Sleaford I did 45 min easy Monday and 75 min steady on Tuesday, and then woke up with a sore upper hamstring on Wednesday. Had a couple of days off and have tried a couple of easy runs the last two day, but it still hasn't quite cleared up

Will try a gentle 15 miler in the morning, but will cut it short if I need to

Good luck to those racing in the morning
Blisters    pirate
02/03/2013 at 18:38

PMJ, my apologies, what a great run you had too, and somewhat faster than mine. Dinner sounded perfectly acceptable, although 5 bottles of wine instead of the main course could be seen in some quarters to be a little over-indulgent. From the relative descriptions I can already tell where your heart lies. Compare:
"duck"
with
"Vina Eguia Rioja Reserva 2006"

others might have said
"confit de cuisse de canard"
and
"red".

02/03/2013 at 19:13

Blisters, I give you:

Warm roasted chilli salmon with horseradish crème fraiche

Crispy roasted duck breast with cranberry jus, shallot confit, roast potatoes, leaf spinach and roasted squash.

Traditional Crème brûlée, shortbread biscuit and seasonal berries

The breast was good but (I guess like you) I prefer duck confit.

I am holding out for an invite to Ant's for lunch one day.

Nice parkrun from OO, why unknown? Did you FYBC?

Edited: 02/03/2013 at 19:16
02/03/2013 at 19:23
Congratulation Blisters - I'd be over the moon with the choc chip cookies, let alone the county medal.
Some great parkrunning and long runs going on, and a top temp run from moof.

Ran a really good hill reps session today. Intervals and a long run left before training is paused. Should do the intervals tomorrow and LR before flight on Monday, however there is some pressure coming my way to dress as a rabbit for a 5k bunny run tomorrow (don't ask).
02/03/2013 at 19:51

Excellent smackdown Gul & PMJ.

Nice quick parkrun OO.

Enjoy the "long one" Slokey!!

Well done on your county medal Blisters.

LB70 - Listen to your legs.  Better miss a couple of runs instead of a couple of weeks by pushing it.

AR - Any chance of doing the reps during the 5k while dressed as a rabbit?  Would really screw with a few heads!!

Good luck to everyone running and racing tomorrow.

Blisters    pirate
02/03/2013 at 20:16

PMJ, Thanks for the descriptions, I'm feeling better already. Despite having eaten
Slow cooked Spanish style chicken with flavours of the Mediterranean,
Key Lime Pie
and a rather pleasant bottle of Chilean Carmeniere
accompanied by music from The Jam on vinyl,
I'm still feeling hungry enough to demolish a rather large selection of regional cheeses. The rest of the family are full.

(and I'm more pleased about the County medal than the other prize, but there wasn't a lot of competition!)

Also Ran, apologies in advance for the caps, but DRESS AS THAT RABBIT and nail a hard run to go with it. They all count. The family will love you.

02/03/2013 at 20:29

Too much food talk, making me hungry! 

Edited: 03/03/2013 at 20:05
02/03/2013 at 21:01
I ate out at a very pleasant Ethiopian restaurant in Kentish Town. Never tried Ethiopian before, but would definitely recommend it and if it works for Haile....

Now on the look out for an Ethiopian cookbook.
02/03/2013 at 21:49

I had spelt pasta with a chopped up sausage and some veg in honey and mustard dressing. Tasted better than that description would suggest! Lunch was stir fried turkey and veg in yellow bean and chilli sauce with noodles. Hopefully the pre-race food of champions as I have a 10k tomorrow.

What did you eat in the Ethiopian restaurant Lorenzo?

ssc
02/03/2013 at 22:27

After a knotted calf received a week of stretching and foam rolling, i ventured out for a v easy 5 miler only to have the calf stop me in my tracks within 400m!  Felt more like a spasm/cramp than a strain, but has certainly managed to give me the marathon jitters - all that thought of the monster mileage month being lost to physion and massages.  Bugger!  sports massage booked for Mon, hoping the storm mood clouds clear soon . . .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.