Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,001 to 25,020 of 38,223 messages
05/03/2013 at 06:49

Tomas I would add, I believe we all found it difficult to slow down, it also goes against logic. The only way to improve this (like anything else) is practice and more practice. One of the benefits of running slow is it gives you Time On Feet without the distance/damage too the legs. If you want to run a 3:15 mara you need to be albe to run 3:15 first.

Gul good resting.

5 x 600m at 5k pace with 1 min between, all in 3:34 to 3:39 km pace (5:45-5:52 mm) I am particularly happy considering the short rests between efforts. Total of 9.4 miles run.

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 06:50
05/03/2013 at 07:38
Some stonking recent performances by folks on here.

Top marks to Jools and Speedy for the weekend PBs

Cracking 20 mile performances from Mennania and KR

Good idea to have a lie-in Gul.

Scoobs - you're on form at the moment. Speedy Dudek more like.

Welcome to Tomas - nothing much to add to what others have said other than the wisdom of long, SLOW runs, medium length midweek runs and a speed session.

Overnight in Taunton, so headed out into the mist this morning for 11 miles.
Edited: 05/03/2013 at 07:39
05/03/2013 at 08:31

Tomas – If you are struggling to run slower than 7:40 pace in training then you may be faster than you think, or not working hard enough on hard days. I believe hard days should be hard enough to leave you needing to run very slow the following day to recover.

How about adding a mid week run of about 13 – 15 miles into your schedule? This could contain HMP and MP paced intervals and would help fatigue you before your LSR.

I’d also recommend trying a half marathon or if you can’t find one soon a 10k race to see how fast you can really race. Once you get a race result you can use an online calculator to see if you are on course for a sub 3:15 or faster.

As others have said most of your long runs should be about ‘time on your feet’ and not distance. I’m targeting 6:45 pace in London but ran my last LSR at 8:00 pace, which meant I was on my feet a bit longer than I hope to be on race day.

I’m happy with my 4 x 1 mile 10k paced intervals this morning in an 8 mile run. I averaged about 6:05 which is dead on 10k pace and this was only a few days after a 24 miler.

05/03/2013 at 10:21

Badbark - Great session, no wonder you're happy with it.

I did a 2-mile warm-up then 5 miles @ 6:42mm, by the middle of which I had half talked myself into a DNS at my forthcoming marathon. I have been having real motivation trouble recently.

So, anyway, 6:42mm is the pace I will be trying to hold (and it's supposed to feel comfortable) at my HM on Sunday. Tomorrow I'll do 10-12 miles with a good chunk @ PMP. 

Uuuggh.  

05/03/2013 at 11:23

Ant- We all have those days, just makes the good days better

Rest day yesterday, 45-60 mile road bike today in the glorious sun hopefully followed by 22 mile long tomorrow.Still have achey legs from that bloody off road 10k on sat, hopefuly they will be stronger for it lol.

05/03/2013 at 12:26

I rested yesterday- because I'm lazy not because it was deserved. I'm going to try for 10 miles tonight including the club session. Looks like a great day out there

05/03/2013 at 14:44

Had a lovely easy 6 miles this morning in the sun. It was beautiful over the downs. I wanted to carry on. First run after Sundays 20 mile 'race' and legs pretty good so all in all happy.

Ant - it's the fighting off of that feeling and making yourself do it when the motivation is low. Being on here and knowing others are feeling the same and still doing it that keeps me going at times. Sounds like you are going ok. Sometimes it's just the thought of the faster stuff that puts me off and then once it's done I think what was I thinking.

OO - a deserved rest. I felt like that yesterday!

05/03/2013 at 16:23

Tomas, what is your total weekly mileage? I tried to do the sums and from 4-5 runs a week it must be 40-50 miles tops. If you up your miles you will find the ability to run a bit slower. Also slow means different things to different people: I actually prefer long steady run and I do the first 10 miles at MP+20% and the next 10 miles at MP+10% so for 6:30 MP that is 7:48 out and 7.09 back so 7:40 is too slow for my long runs.

Sunshine

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 16:24
TR
05/03/2013 at 17:43

None meant but I don't buy the can't or don't like running slow in long runs bit. Pace control and patience comes in handy on marathon day. I like it when I finish a slow long run reasssured that I have just saved myself a load of matches and feeling like I could have gone round again. Its about saving energy not expending it (at times).

05/03/2013 at 17:55
Agree TR. I used to think I "couldn't" run slow. It can be done but takes practice. I did a 13 MLR with a friend the other day. She kept me honest at 8.30+ pace. The next day you really do feel as if you've done nothing all so it keeps you fresh but gets the miles in. Running with someone slower distracts I find. The main disadvantage is it takes longer to do the runs which is a pain if you're tight for time

You need to sup deep from the cup of confidence again Ant. Don't let it mess with your mid on the start line mate. If you do it's over before it's begun. Are you doing the HM to one received effort " sans gadget(s)". Might be a good option perhaps??

Sounds lik a nice run DS2 and an enjoyable cycle CL and good miles from Lozza

Great pce from your reps Badbark. You're looking very very good at this stage

Quick session from you too Scooby.

Another session from KR which suggests you're heading for big breakthroughs this year

Lovely day up here too. Did 10 along the seafront with 6 @ MP - these came out at 6.24 which is clearly utterly ridiculous for race day but didn't feel too bad. Maybe halfway between MP and HMP effort if I'm honest
05/03/2013 at 19:48
TR wrote (see)

None meant but I don't buy the can't or don't like running slow in long runs bit. Pace control and patience comes in handy on marathon day. I like it when I finish a slow long run reasssured that I have just saved myself a load of matches and feeling like I could have gone round again. Its about saving energy not expending it (at times).

Agreed, but there is also the specificity of training so if you are aiming for 3:15 which is 7:27 pace then you need to do some at 7:27, some faster, some slower but not a great deal slower. The table below shows 10@MP+20% and 10@MP+10% which is the P&D recommended long steady run. For a 3:15 that is 8:56 out and 8:11 back for an average of 8:34 which is pretty close to 8:30 mentioned above.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-O-lf84xzJxc/UTZL-Gy-jaI/AAAAAAAAAFU/FnbaS3tVq2k/s810/ScreenShot.png

TR
05/03/2013 at 20:37

Tomas mentioned 7:40 pace for long runs.

05/03/2013 at 20:44

Ant Hopefully just the on set of negative taper madness.

I still tend to run my MLR to quickly and Frazer makes a great point about fresh legs.

TR
05/03/2013 at 20:45

Anyway, I was questioning the not being able to run slowly, regardless of teh pace.

05/03/2013 at 20:46

Ahhh good chart that PMJ.

Looks like my long runs have been coming out at 3 hour pace.......GULP

TR
05/03/2013 at 22:21

Looks like I might bag a 3:10 though !

05/03/2013 at 23:25

11 solid miles tonight in my quest to sneak in more mid week long runs. In the middle of the 11 was a 3 mile club session; 7* 500m at 1:40 pace (which was tough).

I have no trouble going slow on my long runs. My problem is going fast .

05/03/2013 at 23:40

Nice session Scooby.

ANother great graph PMJ, where do you store all of these? When I started running slower in my training  I used to laugh at myself at slow I was going - thta was the incentive. If anyone overtook me I'd just let them go safe in the knowledge I could whip 'em if I wanted.

Ventured to my local park again tonight and did 8 x 1000m reps. Times came out at 3.45, 3.43, 3.42, 3.39, 3.36, 3.39, 3.37, 3.38. Did 1.5 mile warm up and a 3 miler warm down to make it up to 10 miles.

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 23:48
06/03/2013 at 06:39

KR Impressive reps

14 this morning, none of it nice or pretty. Heavy rain and gale force gusting winds, just a case of getting through it. 8:31 mm av pace and 65% av HR. I actually feel quite happy to have forced myself out this morning.

06/03/2013 at 08:13

KR - That is an amazing session, and I suspect very few on this thread would get anywhere near it. Are you going to VLM? You must be looking at sub-3, surely?

Scooby - Well done for braving it out...but what time did you get out there?

Off out myself now. Hoping for some positive vibes.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.