Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,181 to 25,200 of 37,386 messages
12/03/2013 at 08:35

PMJ - confusion might have been the Good Friday Maidenhead 10m where a pedestrian walked in front of the lead cyclist on a roundabout 30meters into the race. He wobbled to the left and 750 runners did the same thing cutting out the 1st mile around the business park.

The cyclist recovered at a turning point and led the leaders back into said business pasrk and the marshalls then had to seperate the converging streams of fast and tag-along runners as they regained the correct route!

My garmin recorded the correct distance so they got it right, but just not as intended.

12/03/2013 at 08:51

PMJ that was Wrexham half last year - some budding comedian changed the sign direction and sent the leading pack down the wrong lane, they actually had to stop and double back after a couple of hundred yards! They had marshalls this year!

12/03/2013 at 09:42

Thanks again everyone.

Gul - I haven't done a mile race since last summer, but it's probably around 5:30 now. It's hard to tell yet, given the recent focus on longer reps. Hopefully I'll find another gear in the coming months when I go back to shorter, faster stuff for the summer (whenever that finally decides to make an appearance...)

KR - Thanks. I'll probably go for London again, given that I live there. A few of my friends had great success at Berlin, but I'm just mulling it all over at the moment.

12/03/2013 at 10:34

It’s great to see so much good running going on over the last few days. And as usual a brilliant summary reply by Gul!

I had a similar and disappointing performance to moof over the weekend. I ran 3 miles warm up and then an 18:47 Parkrun which was 28 seconds slower than my PB from September. I didn’t expect a PB but I thought I’d be a bit quicker with all the high mileage weeks recently. Then again I did run 23 and 24 mile runs the two previous weekends so they must have affected my performance. My HR was 4 BMP less than PB HR so it does point to heavy legs.

I had a very enjoyable progressive run this morning. I ran 14 miles with the middle 10 run at 7:05 to 6:15 pace with each mile roughly 5 seconds quicker than the last. Great fun and a nice challenge keeping the pace correct. I think I nailed every mile within a second or two and the last was supposed to be 6:20 but managed 6:15 pushing hard.

So after the confidence knock over the weekend I’m happy again.

12/03/2013 at 12:50

PMJ, as Mennania says it was the Wrexham half last year. Luckily they had marshalls in the right places this year.

Great reps Scooby

Gul, listen to your body mate. If you are familiar with the symptons take action. Hope a bit of rest can help.

Rob, if you are going for London make sure you are online when it opens - it fills incredibly fast. However, there are other marathons about!

Solid progressive run BB.

12/03/2013 at 13:28

BB - good progressive run; you're looking in fine form.
KR - I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I'm seriously starting to think that my body is telling me that it's not cut out for anything like the kind of high mileage I'd like to reach; not even for a half-marathon, let alone a marathon. Maybe I need to content myself with lower mileage and shorter distances and put the marathon running dream to bed. I'm not giving up yet, but let's see how it goes...

12/03/2013 at 13:43

Great progressive run BB

I think that is the best approach Gul (i.e. see how it goes) - you just never know until you try. But rest up first.

Back on the horse I fell off at the weekend, with a 10miler with 7 around LT. Seems I picked up a deadleg, slightly aggravated an achilles and have a sore shoulder. This week will be kept light and then see how I feel for Reading HM.

12/03/2013 at 13:47
Badbark- based on my recent HM PB I foolishly assumed I would PB in a parkrun. But the Mara training with all the high mileage and lack of speed work, intervals doesn't prepare you for a 5k as a fast one isn't possible on endurance alone.
Also a casual start doesn't help as you're ten secs down before you know it.
Heavy legs don't help either.

A three mile plod commute this morning to test out the calf, the good news is my leg didn't fall off but it did start to tighten after about 1.5 miles.
Reading HM this Sunday. Blooming Typical.
12/03/2013 at 14:30

My tale of woe: The wheels started to come off my mara campaign just over 2 weeks ago. I'd built up to a 50 mile week with an 18m long run, but then I was struck by cold/manflu symptoms for a week or so. I'm feeling good now, but the result is that my last 3 weeks have been 35-40 miles with max 15 mile long run. I think I need to revise my MK target, or even postpone. Let's see how I feel after Reading.

The silver lining is that I'm approaching Reading HM this sunday with over 10 miles a week more than my last campaign. B target is a PB, under 92 min. A target sub 90.

12/03/2013 at 14:36

Gul - Ouch! Sorry to hear you're benched, but as others have said, just take it easy for a while (take up reading again!) and then see how you are before making any frightening decisions...One thing, though:

Gul Darr wrote (see)

I started getting pain at the inside top of my left leg down towards the groin.

Down towards the groin? Where is your groin, exactly, then?

Moof - Fingers crossed for you.

Great reps by Mennania and Scooby. Fwiw I have done a 10k three times two weeks out from VLM, and in two out of the three cases I got PBs in both races.

I am now in week two of the taper, and the mind is playing tricks on me. What to do? How little can I get away with? In most schedules they have you doing some sort of reps session, and in fact I've always done one at this stage, i.e. 10-12 days out. It hasn't always guanrateed marathon success ultimately, of course.

I woke up early this morning and started thinking about the planned session, whether to do 3 x 1M @ 5k pace or 6-8 x 800m, or even 5 x 1k. Then, I saw that the weather was /is vile, and CNBA took over and I even debated whether to get out at all. After all, if you can't miss a session in taper time, when can you? In the end, and bear in mind laziness played a part here, I thought to myself, whatever is the point of going out and doing a hateful, hated session at this stage? What real benefit is it going to give me? In the end I went out and did 5.5M @ just a bit quicker than MP, and felt good about it, too.

Tomorrow I've got more time free so I'll do 8-9 miles with most @ MP, a 4-mile recovery on Thursday, 7 on Friday with some @ MP and some a bit quicker, rest Saturday (no, really) and then 11-12 miles on Sunday, again with a good chunk @ MP to really dial it in. That will make somewhere around 35 miles, which would be going on for 60% of my max weekly miles.

Is there really any point in my doing a serious reps session this week? 

Edited: 12/03/2013 at 14:37
12/03/2013 at 14:40

Lunchtime - X-post- That doesn't sound ideal, but needn't be the end of the world, either. See how you get on at Reading - you may find yourself feeling all the fresher for the enforced reduction in mileage. What is your target for MK?

12/03/2013 at 14:43
Gul- keep the faith, I know these niggles and injuries are testing at times and can get you down. Have you thought about the Hadd style training and perhaps forget about the speed training and do lots of slow miles instead.
It's always the introduction of speed work on top of heavy mileage that usually does me in.

Hope you manage to sort yourself out for Sundays smackdown Also-ran.

There is still plenty of time for you too lunchtime runner, don't hit the panic button bust yet.
12/03/2013 at 14:46
X-post, Ant get your arse out there, no slacking now!
12/03/2013 at 14:48

I went, I went!!

12/03/2013 at 14:53
Ant a few sets of strides to keep the legs turning over nice and fast should do if you can't manage the reps.

Predictive texting can sometimes throw up some duff words but I never spot them until after posting.
Lunchtime runner, JUST yet and not bust yet.
12/03/2013 at 18:13

Lunchtime: I'm doing Reading as a MP effort, so plan is 1.28/1.29.

TR
12/03/2013 at 18:46

Gul - I dont follow closely enough to know what schedule etc you follow, but maybe moof is on the money. Its hard and long running that brings the risks into it. Because I've had to nurse a poorly knee along this year I have the princely amount of 15M of ~MP as my total of fast running to my name this calendar year (7M in a 13, amd 8 in a 13 on recent MLRs). Consistency and frequency still out weigh any fast running in my book. If I was healthy then I'd have done a couple of build up races and some 3min reps by now too. But its not necessary. Keir was getting lovely and fit when he was Hadding. 

Edited: 12/03/2013 at 18:46
12/03/2013 at 19:40

BB Great progressive run

Ant Don't be a slave to the schedule ! Fight the power.

LR Hopefully the forced taper will bear fruits at Reading

Gul I had a niggle/pain for the best part of 12 months, it seemed to go, but was always in the background. Sports massages helped but as soon as I increased speed and distance it would appear again. A few weeks running, few weeks resting. I finally went to a sports phsio who caused lots of pain as he found old scar tissue and attacked it. It did wonders, now I know there is something there but daily stretching keeps it at bay. I believed I could never average over 40 miles a week for a sustained period. For the last 12 weeks I am currently averaging over 60.

Blisters    pirate
12/03/2013 at 22:16

Jools, HM target noted. You're up for it.

Gul. Periodicity is the key. Up the miles, down the miles, up again, down again. Physio from time to time. If you have pulled a muscle, strain, or developed tendonitis they can be fixed given an appropriate amount of time and the correct attention. I think that we all know what the bottom of the injury pit feels like, but it doesn't last forever. Keep the faith.

Ant. Well done for getting on with it. Plans are one thing, but life is another. Races matter.

Personally I decided that I'd better swim this evening, and swim hard.
So..............
152 lengths
that's 3800m
or 2.4 miles
or 1x Iron Distance swim
Cherry popped
1hr 43min so it looks like I'll be allowed to have a bike ride in September.

12/03/2013 at 22:21

The intervals would be a good taper sharpener Ant but only if the mind is up for them.  Good HM at the weekend - must give you confidence for the upcoming marathon.

Go easy Gul. Have you tried the sports massage/physio?

The speed is looking very good there Badbark - I wouldn't worry about the 5K time.

Last week when I did the intervals on the track it was 14deg C and I was enjoying the mid-afternoon sunshine.  Today, it was 2 deg C, snowing and windy.  So where did Spring go? Ran through all the reasons why I shouldn't run 6 sets of 1K intervals but in the end just zipped up the man suit and got on with it - reps of 4:02, 4:03, 3:57, 4:03, 3:59, 3:57.  At least they were consistent!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.