Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,181 to 25,200 of 37,213 messages
10/03/2013 at 15:39

Well done all. RFJ - you must be completely bonkers! Inspirational stuff though, well done. 

Early tapering Ant - which marathon are you training for? I'm sure Dad was very proud of you this morning  

As for me, the infamous Spen 20 road race this morning. A very hilly one in West Yorkshire made worse by the cold and wind. Nevertheless, very happy with my time and took a whole 21 minutes off last years time. Hot bath, big fry up, chocolate digestives and a snooze on the sofa watching the rugby. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/282670106

10/03/2013 at 16:26

Bluemoon - Good run at Spen 20
Moof - excellent 5k time well done
SBD - Nice 10k
Bike It - 20m bagged despite it being hard, its in the tank now
Scooby - Good work for the 21.4m
Menninia - Also a good 20 bagged
OO - 20.5m in the bag and tanked same as Bike it
Lorenzo - Nice 6th and ven better 3rd from Jnr
Jools - Good 18m done
DS2 - 15 in bad conditions hats off
PMJ - Good strong running in the middle of your 14m
Ant - Good half - enjoy the taper...

Im looking forwards to an easy day tomorrow... this should be my biggest week milage wise with 63.55m, think I hit 60 1 or 2 more times, but dont think I go over what I have done this week, at present feel really strong and really happy to race so well on really tired legs.

Take care

10/03/2013 at 16:33
Great running on a poignant day Ant.

Cracking weekend RFJ and excellent racing from Lorenzo.

Well done to everyone for long running in bracing conditions.

1 hr at 7:50mm knocked out this afternoon
10/03/2013 at 16:42

Minni - excellent plan! Get ready for the invasion Ant!

Had a bit of a lie in this morning as I didn't get enough sleep on Friday thanks to my neighbours doing karaoke Christmas songs in the middle of the night (yes, really!). 23.36 miles done on a hilly route so as to avoid having to run the last 8 miles into the headwind, which was quite considerable. It was also snowing. Pace was 8.01s despite me trying to slow it down. It was so cold that my legs just wanted to get me back home again ASAP!

RFJ - cracking running this weekend! And Ant, I love how you've just nonchalantly knocked out a 1.28 HM. How long till the marathon? Time to ease back now?

10/03/2013 at 17:08

Respect due to OO50, Jools, Scooby and Bike It for bagging them there miles in what sound like horrible just-get-it-done conditions.

Lorenzo - Well done on that 6th place - brilliant stuff. Just a shame Nell stood you up. Is that round the racecourse gallops and Langley Vale? A beautiful part of the world, but tough going, I'd say.

Bluemoon - Congratulations on that PB - by 21 mins! That doesn't happen every day, so enjoy it! I applaud your post-race re-fuelling strategy, btw. I'm doing the Maratón de Langreo in two weeks, here in Asturias, northern Spain. 

RFJ - Fantastic race, really well-paced. Bodes very well for you.

Speedy - You can invade any time you want!! After the party-induced aggro of Friday night and your frustrating day yesterday, to go out today and nab 23 and more miles is the stuff of legend. As for me, two weeks to go for the marathon. Today's effort was not all that nonchalant tbh, but satisfactory and a confidence-booster. This was officially the first week of the taper and I did 46 miles, which is about 78% of my maximum weekly mileage. It's been a shorter campaign sort of by necessity, compared to other years, so the taper will really start now, and not three weeks out as I would normally do.

10/03/2013 at 17:21
I will catch up later. I had a good HM today but right now I need to cook for 10 and pack - I got a flight to Spain first thing in the morning!!
Blisters    pirate
10/03/2013 at 17:23

Great reading of the weekend's exploits, I can foresee that April is going to see a number graduating from class. Not only that, we have PMJ demonstrating his more gentle side, yes the bloke who smashes up any vans that cut him up when he's running. I suppose that it was no surprise that Ant vO is offering a bed space to all the females on the thread. That suave charm will work every time you know.

10/03/2013 at 17:28

The weather we've had in the North East today I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving. Come back soon and tell ubout the run Minni, I know you ran well in tough conditions. Well done Ant and the other racers. Sorry i didn't make it to Spen Bluemoon. I wouldn't relish driving in those conditions today, but I could have done with a race to motivate me. Sounds like you had a crcker anyway, that's a massive PB.

10/03/2013 at 17:44
Bluemoon86 wrote (see)

As for me, the infamous Spen 20 road race this morning. A very hilly one in West Yorkshire made worse by the cold and wind. Nevertheless, very happy with my time and took a whole 21 minutes off last years time. Hot bath, big fry up, chocolate digestives and a snooze on the sofa watching the rugby. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/282670106

Greta time but how about a report? The garmin trace looks as though you set off way too fast on the first mile which is uphil as well: 6:23 is sub 2:50 pace and a whopping 30 seocnds plus faster than the average for you run. 

10/03/2013 at 18:31
Blisters wrote (see)

I suppose that it was no surprise that Ant vO is offering a bed space to all the females on the thread.

In fact, the invitation was open to all on here. Or was that just for lunch?

10/03/2013 at 18:35
Just lost the post I was writing. In summary fantastic mileage bring banked by OO50, Jools, Sccoby, Bike It, great results from Bluemoon and Lorenzo, and RFJ - epic weekend.

Last full day in Iceland today. Following Frasers pep talk to man up, I have had 3 great days of running. Today was a 20LSR with some real highs and lows. The highs were running along the Snaefellnlotsofconstanants with Orcas in the back ground. The low, was returning to the village I am staying at, Garmin ticks over 20m, stop watch and walk the last 300 yards. Bang, fell on black ice. Lots of blood, and 7 stitches later and I'm back. One very unhappy Icelandic Doctor. Luckily all the essential running limbs are still in order.
Edited: 10/03/2013 at 18:36
10/03/2013 at 18:59

Question For those running halfs next week, how much are people tapering for it?

Im not sure how much milage/training to cut for the coming week, i have run around 50mpw for last 4 weeks. im in need of a good half time so i can get a proper indicator of my realistic Marathon pace.Advice welcome.

Thanks

David

10/03/2013 at 19:18
CL, just have an easier couple of days beforehand if you are going all out. Otherwise don't taper at all. HM is a nice stepping stone but it's a sideshow to the main event. Too much tapering and then recovering after just reduces training time for your A goal.

AR,that sounds painful. Good to hear you are largely intact. How was Iceland? We are thinking of holidaying there in the summer.
10/03/2013 at 19:40

AR - ouch! Hope everything's OK. Sounds like you had a brilliant time and what a fantastic country to go running in. Mrs L and I went there a few years ago, but I wasn't allowed to take my running kit!!

SJ - well worth going to, but from what I hear you're better going in June than August: longer days and fewer insects!!! 

Ant - to be honest, I'm not sure exactly where the run went. It was close to the race course, but not actually on it. Didn't see any horses while we were running, but there were a couple of Tesco home delivery vans around and maybe they got frightened off! 

10/03/2013 at 19:42

CL: I agree with Slokey.  I simply re-arrange my scheduled sessions so that my rest day is the Friday if possible and my shortest run of the week is the day before.  But no miles are cut out of the schedule (although I did switch weeks around so that Bath fell in a cut-back week).  Back up to 65M this week, however, and something similar next week as well.

Nice running, Ant.  1.28 when not flat out is a great sign.

10/03/2013 at 21:05

Carboloader- is it wise to do a half mara next week after a 20 mile race today?

AR if you wanted to man-up you sure went about it in brutal way- stitches and all. Let's hope there's no side effects for your running. 

I would come to Spain Ant but I wouldn't want to play goosberry....

10/03/2013 at 21:18

AR Hope everything is fine and no lasting effects. Sounds like a wonderful run.

Ant 1:28 is very impressive indeed, especially at comfortably hard. Bodes well for two weeks time.

Lorenzo Great race and finishing position. Part of the planning is knowing the course. What was your time?

RFJ Very impressive and slightly crazy weekend

Speedy Great finish to a slightly messed up week.

Bluemoon A minute a mile PB points towards great things. I agree a report would be nice.

10/03/2013 at 21:27

'OO'50 You must be mistaking me for someone else, i havent run 20mile today let alone a race, try 4.5 mile recovery lol.

ssc
10/03/2013 at 22:07

RE: PMJ and reply to marathon pace query

Sorry for slow reply, many thanks, info was really useful.  22m with lots of hills at a more suitable pace than previous weeks.  Nice to finish strong.

10/03/2013 at 22:07

Sorry I'm going to do a quick recap of my race today and read back tomorrow because I is a wee bit tipsy.

So after pulling out of the half last weekend and spending the week not sure if I was ill or injured, or both, or neither I wasn't sure what to expect today.   There was a lot of snow on the ground when I arrived at the start of this hilly half and strong winds forecast.  I felt the most important thing was to have a strong run whether that be MP or HMP or whatever, which would get some confidence back.  I was aware that last week I felt ok (ish) till 5 miles then it all started to go wrong so had decided not to go off at pb pace then try and build it up later in the race.

I'm not going to go into the shambolic organisation at the start of the end (grrr ) but a warmup didn't really happen.  The first 5 miles were undulating with quite a climb from about 3.5 -5.5.  I kept the effort at a manageable effort and didn't look at the pace too much but when I did I was quite pleased with what I saw.  Got to about 6 miles when it leveled out with more gentle inclines and was pleased to bag a few fast miles (around 6:40 ish) before the hills hit again a bit later on.  All in all I felt strong throughout and had the oomph to push on where it levelled out.  The last mile was tough into a headwind and the snow came on in a horizontal fashion.  Difficult to see and trying to run about 400m up a narrow drive with traffic coming nose to nose in both directions didn't make for a heroic finish but crossed the line at 1:32:47.  7 fecking seconds outside my pb! But even though, I am pleased to run that time on such a hard course after a week of being under the weather and not full out.  Just the confidence building run I needed right now.

Poacher - after today there's a very good chance I will ditch the Coastal marathon and opt for the TM instead.  A lot better organised.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.