Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,201 to 25,220 of 37,158 messages
10/03/2013 at 23:09

Another weekend of great running on here - it's really hard to keep up!.

Great half mara Minni. A tough course and after last week brilliant to get so close to your PB  - enjoy Spain.

Busy weekend. All day at Alton Towers yesterday, then headed out at 8 pm to do 20 miles after we got back. Not a bad run of 2.31.47, but a late finish of 10.30pm! First 10 miles in 1.19.20 then did 2 miles fast (6.45 - 6.54 pace) then 1 mile slower (7.30 pace) repeated for the next 9 miles. Had a shower, watched, MOTD, fell asleep! It was nice to have a family day today and NO running, but did take my lad to his football see him score a goal and get man of the match, had a  Zizzi lunch then watch liverpool beating Spurs!

10/03/2013 at 23:11
Well done to you Minni, nice effort there. Ooh 7 secs though!

Nice work from you too Ant.

I haven't had a chance for a proper read back yet.

Isn't mothers day a bloody pain in the arris. Up early to cook Mrs moof breakfast in bed, then ferrying her ladyship and the mother in law out for a pub lunch, whilst trying, unsuccessfully, to control my hyper 7 year old son. Then an hour drive to put some flower on my mums grave. I know she wouldn't mind if was a day or two late.
Nobody seems to realise I'm a serious afleet!!

Anyway just got back from an 18 mile run. Hate doing them late on Sundays. My calf is a little sore, a nice hot bath should sort it.

Nobody can say I'm not dedicated.
10/03/2013 at 23:21
X post KR- nice late night running from you too, ya nutter.
10/03/2013 at 23:47
Well done to the late night runners. Can't work out how you've got the energy to get out there after a full day.

Congrats to Minni on a pretty darn decent time in tough conditions. I guess you deserve the vino.

A bit worn out now after this morning's race and this afternoon's volleyball match but will try and drag myself out of bed befor 6 to go for a 10/11 miler.
Edited: 10/03/2013 at 23:48
11/03/2013 at 04:38

Scoobs - I bet you enjoyed the beers after that long run.  Nice pace.

OO - pleased to see you didn't let the prospect of a long run ruin your partying, even if you did regret it slightly the next day.  The weather here yesterday was just appalling.  I'm going to write to someone and complain!

Lorenzo - impressive racing from you and junior.  Has anyone heard if Nell is running London this year?  I haven't heard about her doing anything since London last year. 

Jools - long run after the XC and then rehearsal. I don't know how you do it!

RFJ - nice 10m race thrown in after the long on Saturday. 

Ant - how nice to dedicate the half to your dad.  40 years is such a long time - he must have died young (in fact you must have been very young).

Bluemoon - what time did you do at Spen?

AR - I hope you're ok?  Sounds very nasty.

KR - do you manage to sleep after doing a such late night running?

Gul - sorry if I've messed up your early reporting.

11/03/2013 at 05:50

Minni - He was 39, I was 7.

11/03/2013 at 06:35

Some impressive LLSR (Late Long Slow Runs)

Minni Cracking report and time. 7 seconds on a very tough course in those conditions bodes very well.

11/03/2013 at 06:41

Ant: sorry, missed the mention of your dad.  Nice to dedicate the race to him.

Minni: wow - that's a great run.  You're clearly in sub 90 shape in a flat race if your fast miles were 6.40s

Very impressed at those of you heading out for very late runs after busy days: Moof and KR spring to mind!

11/03/2013 at 07:03
Little sore today, and a nice shiner developing. Bit suspicious now that the Doctor was an Icelandic fisherman who is more used to repairing fishing nets. Fantastic northern lights show put on last night. Beautiful country to visit - well recommended.

Carbloader - I'm with SJ on this one - just back off a couple of days before - no need for a serious taper unless it is your priority

Minni - well raced yesterday. Well deserved bit of tipseyness.

On way back to airport now via the Bluelagoon for a hot soak.
11/03/2013 at 07:16

Well done Minni. I had a feeling that race would be a shambles. Still fattie Foster will have made a nice return  

11/03/2013 at 07:27
OO - what?? Is that his organisation too?

Jools - thank you that's just what I needed to hear. Miles 9 & 10 were 6:40 and the two slowest miles were 7:33 and 7:26, which were uphill. Really pleased to have not been slower on those.
11/03/2013 at 08:42

Snow flurries down here this morning, but undaunted I still went out in shorts. Was gusting a fair amount on the more exposed parts of the run but managed 8.5 miles in the end. Brrrr!

Impressive early post Minni

11/03/2013 at 09:07

Quick round of Friday, Saturday and Sunday:
Mennania - speedy reps! No wonder you suffered in the 20 miler after the MP session the previous night though. 10 min ice bath too! I'm obviously a wimp and only do 5 mins.
Ant - is that MP -5secs or -5%?! Cracking run either way. And reading for an hour - what a treat! I vaguely remember such things from my pre-running days.
Bike It - good steady MLR. And well done on toughing out that 20 miler after totally inappropriate preparation.
SJ - count it however you like! Sounds like the tri training is going well.
Birch - good to hear from you again. Take care.
SSC - As I remember P&D (Pfitzinger and Daniels)  suggest 4-5 miles warm-up and no faster than MP+20%, then the bulk of the miles at MP+20% and finally 4-5 miles to finish at MP+10%. The highly esteemed PMJ recommends first half at MP+20% and second half at MP+10%, as you rightly say. And PMJ has already posted this anyway!
Blisters - good 15 miler.
AR - good double. Sounds like a spectacular long run - do you ever have an uneventful holiday? Take care now.
SD - 10k in the middle of a 13 miler is a tough one, so I reckon you did very well and with 9 lots of 180% turns too! Excellent long run too.
Moof - sub 19 sounds impressive to me! Pacing is always tricky in parkruns, although I usually set off a bit too fast and am excellent at doing the last mile or so too slow Good long run.
Jools - well done on the XC.
SBD - don't be disheartened; you will have gained from that race and it's marathon day that will really count.
Speedy - I'm really gutted for you and those young lads too - what a nightmare! Glad you had a good run yesterday.
OO - good dedication; those ultra-slow runs take some doing!
Lorenzo - great racing and a good day for whole family by the sound of it. Good sporting of shorts in the show.
Jools - good long run.
DS2 - well done - conditions are not good at the moment, are they?!
RFJ - crikey! you don't take things easy do you? Well done on some cracking running and racing.
PMJ - your long runs still beat mine. Good baking too.
Ant - job done and in style. That must have been unbelievably tough to lose your dad at such a young age. You have done him proud.
BM - 21mins faster! Impressive.
Minni - bon voyage (sorry, I don't do Spanish). That's a great effort on a tough HM course and a far from ideal lead-in; agonisingly close to a PB too! Don't worry about the reporting - always room for an alternative viewpoint
KR - that sounds like a tough way to do a 20 miler - well done.
Pleased to report a 7 mile run in a snow blizzard this morning. Nice way to get back on the road

11/03/2013 at 09:21
Phew, I'm out of breath reading your summary, Gul. Excellent work and a nice run too.
11/03/2013 at 09:21

Lorenzo - Sorry to hear about the gusting on your exposed parts.

Bluemoon, Slokey, Minni, Jools, Gul - Thank you for your kind words.

11/03/2013 at 11:17
Gul must surely win the prize for the most comprehensive post ever to appear on any forum anywhere.

Gul, the tri approach seems to suit me in that even though I'm still a bit crocked and have been unable to run properly for 6 months I'm probably in the most consistent block of training that I've ever done. Clocking up 8-12 hrs per week over the past 14weeks and I feel very fit off logging lots of low HR time. Just need to build some impact miles and sharpen up and I think I could make a step change in running performance come the autumn. Probably just cursed myself there but hey ho!

Quality running everybody! And what Gul said.
11/03/2013 at 11:49
Tight hamstring last week and a tight sore right calf today. I'll bin my 5 mile recovery run today.
Uncomfortable on my bike commute this morning so that's cross training on the treader out at the moment.
Mid march and I'm starting to creak, just a little bit of paranoia setting in. Hopefully I won't need my Speedos just yet.
11/03/2013 at 13:14

Minni, I slept quite well, infact I tried to watch the end of Match of the day, but nodded off! So I don't think there is a correlation of increased heart rate and not being able to sleep etc. If I am knackered, I will sleep!

A soaking in the Blue Lagoon sounds tempting Also-ran. Do you leave your luggae by the lagoon while you have a dip?

Great round up Gul and early morning blizzard run.

11/03/2013 at 13:43

Hi. I'm a regular reader of this thread and wanted to say a big thank you to KR, Martin and all those who encouraged me to perservere with racing. I had two disappointing marathon campaigns in 2011 and 2012 (3:42; 3:41) and wasn't sure where to take my running after that.

But I took your advice, joined my club to improve my speed and threw in a few local races and parkruns. I worked on my speed last summer, finally getting my 5k down from 20mins to 18:49. And then I worked back up to longer distances. 5k to sub 40 10k. 10k to HM. The result? My previous four half marathons were all 91 minutes. Yesterday I smashed my half marathon PB at Lydd, running 1:25:28.

So, thanks again. It just shows how things can turnaround with a new focus and approach.

I also promised that I wouldn't consider a marathon again until I ran a half in 1:25. So I now have a new problem...

11/03/2013 at 14:12
Well done Rob on smashing the HM PB, its a great feeling when you break the 90 min time barrier. (And nearly the 85!)
Definitely got the speed there to knock a big chunk off of your marathon time.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.