Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,221 to 25,240 of 37,704 messages
13/03/2013 at 19:46
Just a quick pop in from me. Too busy trying to juggle being a physician, rock god, building project manager and serious afleet

Big congrats to Minni on a v promising race and Ant on a casual 1.28 half

Lots and lots of great training going on as ever

Hope those wobbling near or in the bench recover soon

Still managing to bash out the training with 2 proper sessions a week. Still in one piece so far

Hope everyone's enjoying the great British Spring
13/03/2013 at 20:03

Spring? - it was snowing here again today

Frazerelli wrote (see)
Just a quick pop in from me. Too busy trying to juggle being a physician, rock god, building project manager and serious afleet

It's important to get your priorities right Frazer!

Hope the treadmill is in an air conditioned room Poacher.

15 miles for me mid-afternoon.  Felt very sluggish to start with but managed to pick the pace up over the last 7 miles which came out at 7:09 m/m pace.  All feeling a bit hard work at the moment but just need to get through the next few weeks ...

13/03/2013 at 20:27
Oh no, tales of bench woe.

It seems like the thread is suddenly dividing into potential PB smashers and the walking wounded. The constant threat of injury is mentally tiring but when it strikes it is a really depressing moment. The worst part is that it feels like it will last forever and you'll lose all of that hard earned fitness. It won't and you won't.
I'll send healing vibes to you all!

6 miles at 6.30 am in the crisp sunshine this morning. This evening has consisted of hotel pool swim for 30mins rather than the planned hour (- 8m pool so got sick of turning round) and then 30mins on the gym bike to make up the time before settling into a table for one. No Kalashnikovs in sight so far. Don't think Bristol is as rough as Sudan.... Although that waiter looks a bit shifty....
13/03/2013 at 20:40

Slokey - pleased to say I am now running wounded. I have a tear to one of my lower abdomen muscles - the fizz did tell me which one but it is lost to me now - but he has told me to bin the vo2 stuff as it tends to wreak havoc on my core but should be ok for the rest as whilst it might be uncomfortable it shouldnt get any worse if I look after it. That will do for me

13/03/2013 at 21:26

sounds painful Mennania, I'm pretty sure the V02 max stuff does it for everyone.

4 mile for me this morning with no calf tightness, so I ran 7 this evening to give it another gentle tester. Calf a little tight towards the end. I know I shouldn't have bothered but just couldn't help myself.

Resting on a bag of peas now just to be on the safe side. So I'm not on the bench but def wobbling near it as I've just eaten a whole packet of choc hobnobs!  yum yum......too early for carbloading?

Edited: 13/03/2013 at 21:27
13/03/2013 at 21:53

Quick check in.

Fraser - its all white again here now.   Glad to hear you're still with us.

Poacher - good to see you've found a TM.   Horrible things but if needs must.

OO - what's up?  You seem off it - is it just life getting in the way?

Hope all those injured or on the edge of injury get better soon.  We all need to get through these last few weeks.  Almost there.

I'm sick of this weather.  Sorry I feel the need to say that to everyone I come in contact with!

13/03/2013 at 22:09
Speedwork. Is it worth it?
13/03/2013 at 22:58

well said slokey. I'm not in the PB smashing group sadly. I love speedwork but my hip hates it.

I just get grumpy when I'm not running well Minni. And bloody typical, I can't get to the Lakes because the house is booked.

You're not in the V50's yet PMJ. When I was at the wrong end of the V45-50 catagory I was nowhere near top 50 either.  

13/03/2013 at 23:17

Yet another session that feels flat after having deal with a blizzard for 2 miles and then it felt like running on a dreadmill on the run back as my feet slipped on the black ice.  I was running on the spot at one point! Where art thou Spring!

Slokey Joe I made a big mistake last summer giving up on speed work. As trail running hippy I convinced myself that running quick and hurting myself rather just suffering for long distances was the way to go. I was very wrong in this as basically I was just getting slower and slower with following my logic through! Running fast keeps good form and just helps improve your overall running. I am sure someone with more experience can put more my meat on my gut feeling on this.

14/03/2013 at 06:43

Menn Not great news but at least you can still run

Moof Be sensible with the calf

SJ Sounds like a fun swim.

Tim Hopefully saving all the good weather for April

6 miles this morning at 9:02 mm. I debating about swopping this weeks schedule about, so I do my long run on Sat. Do people think after this morning 6 easy it would be fine to do 12 steady tonight? Schedule calls for 4 easy tonight and 12 tomorrow.

My plan is to move all the scheduled runs a day forward and then do tonights 4 mile run on Sunday.

14/03/2013 at 07:17
Scoobs - save long all the good weather for April? Who gets that it'll be the hottest VLM on record?!

Slokey - I'm with you, who really needs speedwork?!

OO - if you're fancying some hill running then come up here at the weekend and hit the local mountains. Is the hip getting better? Do you know what is actually wrong?

14m mlr to do tonight.
14/03/2013 at 07:59
I think speedwork is great fun (really) and obviously helps with form and overall fitness. But...... only if you can do it without getting injured. Some people are blessed with robust bodies. Many of us (judging by recent evidence on here) are not. Personally, I now believe that I am a flimsy, brittle, nascent disaster area and really need to think about how I manage volume and intensity to get to any level of consistency. Let's face it. A modest burst of fitness from a couple of speed sessions doesn't make up for being benched for a month.

Incidentally, I had to limp back from my run this morning when the bones in the middle of my foot started shouting "stress fracture, it's a stress fracture, why oh why did you think you could run two days in a row you fool?!"

It's probably not though. Fingers crossed.
14/03/2013 at 09:04

Bike It - hope the ultrasound came up with something positive. As for me, although I stretch after every, well almost every run, I must admit I have been neglecting core strength work. And I still associate foam rollers with painting and decorating. So a couple of things to focus on while I rest and recover.
Mennania - hope ditching the speedwork does the trick.
DS2 - hope you enjoyed the track session.
SD - good luck with the MRI. Maybe you could do 10 miles steady tonight and then another 6 in the morning?
Poacher - just for once, the dreadmill seems like a good option - keep your head down!
CL - hope you can keep those niggles at bay.
Birch - thanks. I think I've calmed down now after the initial 'arrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!' reaction
OO - sounds great.
PMJ - good to see things are still progressing nicely.
Frazer - steady as she goes.
SBD - yeah, spring's not till next weekend, I think? Good MLR. You'll be flying by the end of taper.
SJ - good training in Bristol. Hope the foot is OK.
Moof - always difficult to hold back a bit. Hope you can get back into the swing of things very soon.
As for speedwork, I think it is worth, but you have to be sensible although it's so easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment. The ironic thing is that you don't have to thrash it to get the benefit in any case. Having said that, I won't be doing any for a while... Took the bike out for a bit of a longer spin this morning in the icy wilderness. Noticed a flat tyre on the way to work. I hate bikes.

14/03/2013 at 09:17

Speedwork causes injury - really?

Checks today schedule:

9m with 5m tempo

14/03/2013 at 09:25

Speedwork has bust me the last two times I have tried it - I assume there is a cycling alternative? Maybe I should hammer the spin bike for 6 x 5 min sessions and see how that goes. There only 3 sessions left on my programme anyway, dont like dropping them but it is better than the alternative.

I am alright upto 10k pace ( I think) - its the 5k and below end that seems to cause me issues. I need to get back to some core work, seems to come up a lot doesn't it?

14/03/2013 at 10:03

If you find speed work is causing injuries I think it would be beneficial to add short hill sprints to your weekly schedule. Here's a good explanation - http://running.competitor.com/2013/01/training/steep-hill-sprints_9050

14/03/2013 at 10:32

Great summary, as usual, Gul. Bad news about the puncture. I will be commuting daily from Mid-May as I build up to LEJOG in August. it's the mechanical part that does my head in too!

Speedwork - great discussion. I agree it injures! But, also, makes the MP miles feel much easier on the day. Did my first track session in years last night. 9 miles in total with 6 x 800m, as follows:

3:13

3;13

3:12

3:07

Pleased with the consistency. Would have liked to be a bit quicker. Probably could have worked a bit harder as last one indicated but good to have a marker. Feeling much better this week. I think my cold a couple of weeks ago hit me harder than I had thought. Running faster felt more enjoyable.

Badbark - I like hill reps as well.

14/03/2013 at 10:48
The trouble with this marathon training is we spend the winter months building (or should be) some decent base mileage, them spend a couple of months slowly increasing the length of the LR and MLR, which is all nice and safe, no dramas.
Then bang, we're suddenly trying to knock out 600's at 5.30MM pace. Is it any wonder that niggles start to appear.
Maybe we should gradually introduce reps from the start. Ie 1*600 and slowly build on them.
One point PandD recommends is not running your reps faster than 5k pace. My current 5k pace isn't sub6, so why do I attempt to get well under this when running intervals?
14/03/2013 at 10:55
Plus getting close to 46 doesn't help and I know the majority on here are no spring chickens.
Time to get out the carpet slippers.
14/03/2013 at 11:01

Moof - very good points. I did stick last night to what I believe is my current 5K speed and they felt comfortable enough although i knew I was working. Then afterwards I convinced myself i should have run them faster. Took me a couple of hours of reading about niggles, on here, to remember what they are trying to achieve.

Legs were a little sore for my 6 mile RR but feel pretty good now. I probably got it about right and must learn from the lesson! I doubt I will!

Trying to keep the matchbox full but working enough to give some benefit is a hard balance. Trying to run through the niggles is the one mistake I haven't made this year. I got tempted a few weeks ago but then read something PMJ said about often not running all of his key sessions. It hasn't done him any harm and since then if i have felt a niggle I've had a rest day.

Niggles are just part of the training for those of us on here trying to be the best we can be. Running through them is where the stupidity comes in. Good luck to those on the bench or the edge. Good thing is that most seem to be niggles and nothing serious.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.