Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,301 to 25,320 of 37,764 messages
TR
16/03/2013 at 12:07

Birch - good to see you inching the miles back up there. For me it depends upon what you want out of your running, if you want to run lots then highish frequqncy shorter runs are the way to go all easy paced. You then start building in a few longer runs, paces etc but thats when the risks start. You should be ok with a few strides/fartlek and once again for me its just to open the legs up a bit no need to run fast. Interesting re the stretching as I'm still yet to see a Lion(ess) stretch before it chases it's breakfast. Now I've stopped stretching, icing, heating etc etc my knee after a period of easy, higher frequency running its settling down nicely. Some sort of Yoga type routine would no doubt do you the power of good in terms of strengthening and lengthening your muscles, but the infrequent crap stretches that runners tend to do on very tight skinny and unbalanced bodies tend to make things hurt more than stopping them hurting !  

not so whipper snapperish here but agreed more so than your goodself, will be 46 a few weeks after VLM. Still standing up and fighting back though !

Edited: 16/03/2013 at 12:08
16/03/2013 at 12:45
Great run Lorenzo, early morning Saturday runs set you up for the weekend.
Ant, I confess to having a beer bridge, also let the kids put there smoothies in there too!
Scooby, you are in great form and don't forget that. 15 miles at 6.52 pace is awesome especially solo and doing 20(?) back and return 1.2k reps. Mentally that was tough.
Missed the start of my parkrun by 50m and heard the 3, 2, 1, Go countdown. So started at the back and had to weave my way through 100+ runners. Not sure on official time, but garmin was 19.05 and 17th. Was expecting quicker at this stage?
16/03/2013 at 13:05

Tks, TR - I still have competitive aims (ie, to do as well as I can with what I have(or have left !)) but for now I reckon you're right - a couple of months at around 45-50 mpw, with a long run capped at 15/16 (which at the moment is enough time on feet), with some strides/fartlek now and again. If I reach mid-May in reasonable shape then I can maybe consider an Autumn mara.
atb with VLM - I follow sub-3, so keep an eye on your progress! 

16/03/2013 at 13:05

Birch The first 50 mile week is a great marker.

Thanks for the positive feed back. I agree with all of it. The main frustration is with myself, I need to believe in myself and the training. The reason I ran the extra mile at pace was to show to myself I wasn't as tired as I kept telling myself.

I also know the 1.2km flat stretch is messing with my pacing and I can't get into a comfortable rhythm, so I can't feel marathon pace.  I will need to find either a train or the sub 3 pacer at VLM.

Edited: 16/03/2013 at 13:07
16/03/2013 at 13:46

There'll be a sub 3 train going from the champs start.  Toot-toot!

16/03/2013 at 14:15

Scooby 15m @ MP   You should be feeling pretty smug if you ask me!

Lorenzo/Birch - 20 and in the rain    Aren't we all just plain sick of this weather.  We have snow forecast from tomorrow for a few days again. 

Good luck at Fleet SBD and Reading Jools. Great chance for you both to put that MP to the test.

Ant - how long now?  Is it a week?

Poacher - when do you come back? 

TR - we've been here before about lions stretching.  Photos don't seem to be working so can't insert my pic!

It was wet here when I started my 20 but still went in shorts and t-shirt.   Came back caked with mud and no circulation in my hands - I seem to have developed Raynauds this winter.  Does anyone else suffer?  Anyway, it was a progressive 20: 7 @ 8:52, 7 @ 7:58 and 6 @ 7.17.  It was really my first MP run of the campaign and feel pretty pleased.

16/03/2013 at 14:33

Sorry to read about all the niggles. I’m sending you all magic mending niggle thoughts.

Nice LSR Lorenzo, Birch  and great MP LSRs Scooby and Minni!

Good sessions by Ant, SBD (Good luck in Fleet)

I can’t handle much drink either now Mennania but I am 3 stone lighter than in my youth.

Good racing KR and a 19:05 from the back would be similar to my 18:47 from the front last week. As I was reminded, reaching our peak for a marathon isn’t great for 5k racing.

I had a brilliant run this morning. I took everyone’s advice and didn’t run the full 26 miles that I had considered but did run 24.2 including some quality. I ran this as a rehearsal for VLM including carbo loading yesterday and eating a small breakfast.

I ran the first 10 miles at MP + 60 which is 7:45 pace. I then ran the next 12 miles at MP + 30 seconds (7:15) before the final 2 at MP (6:45). I’m really happy that I managed all the paces without to much difficulty and over the moon to see my average HR only 135 BMP which is 71% max.

It took me 2:58 at about 3:15 MP pace average. My average HR at London last year was 160 (89%) and I finished in 3:13. Things are looking good!

With 5 weeks to go that’s my longest hardest run completed and my longest mileage week will conclude tomorrow with 5 very easy miles and 92 miles in total.

I’m a happy man as I head off to the pub for a mates birthday.

Good running everyone, and Happy St. Paddys day (Monday) from Northern Ireland!  

16/03/2013 at 14:41

Minni Cracking run, especially given the conditions

Badbark Stunning performance. I can understand why you are pleased. On top of all those miles this week it is even more impressive

16/03/2013 at 15:13

Minni - Great run, Badbark - what can you say to that run and the weeks effort - Epic!! Enjoy the beers - Youve definitely earned them.

16/03/2013 at 15:13

Badbark, Minni  - great stuff from both of you. Really impressive progressive runs. 

Minni - I can match you in running in shorts, but you really went out in just a T-shirt? You really are one hard chick!  My hands were struggling when I got back, even with a pair of gloves on.

It was too wet and too hilly to even think about a structure to my run this morning, but it came out at an average of 8:07 pace so not too bad when all's said and done.

I've got a 21 mile race next weekend and I'm planning on doing 9 miles at MP + 45 (8:00), 6 miles at MP + 15 (7:30) and then 6 at MP (7:15)

SBD - today's session made it 5 20s since the beginning of the year so with next week's race and a long run on Good Friday I reckon I'll have bagged 7 in total.

16/03/2013 at 15:17

Scooby - from someone who can only muster marathon pace on the day and has had to work very hard for my sub 3s, I would be over the moon if at this stage I had done 15 miles at 06:52 pace as a solo training run. I would be literally bouncing around with confidence and boring anybody in hearing range by telling them how well my training was going.

I literally don't/can't run a single mile at race pace during my training runs and it is only since following these forums that I have become aware of people doing it.

I thought I trained hard but people putting in these marathon pace miles into their long runs is so impressive.

61:17 miles for me this week at 07:27 pace - and you've guessed it not a single mile at marathon pace (excluding the once a week track sessionswhere even I manage some sort of a faster effort)

TR
16/03/2013 at 16:12

Birch - even if you have competeive aims, you dont need to run many fast miles in a campaign, and you certainly dont have to run faster than MP, consistency trumps everything else.

BB - 24 is still a long way even without the 2 to make it 26.

One Gear - if you slowed down most of your running then you'd be able to speed up sometimes - if you wanted to that is.

16/03/2013 at 16:41

KR - You've got a beer bridge? Now that really is impressive!! That's still a very decent parkrun, btw.

Scooby - I can't get over that run you did today. You are in sub-3 shape, no question. Just don't feel the need to prove it again until race day. Please?

Badbark - No wonder you're feeling confident after such an impressively controlled session. Grat mileage, too. 

Minni - I don't know if I want to tell you on here how long it is. My marathon is next week, though, I can tell you that.

Does anything else think doing 6-7M @ MP as part of an 11-miler is too much one week out? maybe I should just do 5 MP miles at the end? I'm starting to slip into the can't-remember-doing-any-long-miles-at-all mindset all too typical of the taper.

16/03/2013 at 16:54
Scoobs - forgot to comment on your post. Let's summarise: you were aiming for 4:15 pace and you ended up with, er, 4:16 which including time turning round every 1.2km.

And you're not satisfied?!

Believe man, believe!!!!
16/03/2013 at 19:33

I have the same issue as you one gear, just can't reach race pace outside of a race or training with club mates.

8 for me today including a parkrun at 18:48, 6:05 pace. I'ts not a bad time but conditions were perfect so not that happy either.

18 will get me to 50 miles tomorrow but my push on to 20.

Ant I'm doing a 10k race faster than race pace 2 weeks out from the marathon, it'll all be dowmhill on pace after that. 

16/03/2013 at 20:02
I'll be doing that too OO but I'm crap at 10ks so don't know if it counts!
16/03/2013 at 20:06

yep, we've got different strengths Minni, my speed and your endurance would be a good combo

16/03/2013 at 20:14
I'm not sure how we'd do that though OO!

I'm loving the rugby! Great win for Wales and Scotland currently ahead in Paris. I imagine that will be short lived though.
16/03/2013 at 20:24

ahem, yes rugby...

16/03/2013 at 20:33
Edited: 16/03/2013 at 20:34
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.