Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,321 to 25,340 of 37,417 messages
16/03/2013 at 20:53

Really disappointed with the Rugby, but the better team (on the day) won. The Ref was a fair bit bias with the scrums. I also thought I was watching BBC wales, three taff  commentators and only Brian Moore to big up the English.  I'm not bitter, honest.

On a better note I ran 5 steady miles this morning with no negative groans from the calf. ITS ON! FULL TILT AT READING!!

Badbark- that's a decent effort in your long, long run and some proper high mileage going on. You only get out what you put in.

Scooby- That is a great MP solo run! Just need your confidence to match your current ability. No doubting you're hitting top form at the right time.

Minni- decent long run from you too. Scotland still 6-0 up, that'll keep Mrs Moof happy.

One Gear- if it ain't broke.........

16/03/2013 at 21:08

Go moof...

that ref hates England, my face dropped when I saw him. But fair play to the Welsh though- there shall'nt be many doing long runs in Cardiff tomorrow me thinks.. 

16/03/2013 at 21:10

I know, he has past form. He thinks he's a bit of a pretty boy too.

16/03/2013 at 21:23

Good luck to all the racers tomorrow.

Im running Stafford Half tomorrow and im buzzing, the plan is flat out aiming for a 1.25.......

However im likely to blow up so its all good character building haha, anything sub 1.30 will be fine.

Done a few 10 mile tempos at 85 min pace, so theres the carrot just need to take it.Im just carbloading with a few cheeky Bieres as per usual, i dont do conventional pre race tee totaling.

16/03/2013 at 21:31

Just read back an entire week's worth of thread. I think it's bedtime now... 

16/03/2013 at 21:44

Marvellous stuff, Badbark -
Ant - nowt to gain, but one week out, no adverse effect either, I wd have thought, although I'd probably cap the MP segment at 4 or 5. Remember your earlier observation - you have confidence, you can trust the training, so not a lot you can now do to improve prospects, but take care not to lessen them. . . . .

16/03/2013 at 22:03
TR wrote (see)

you certainly dont have to run faster than MP, consistency trumps everything else.

Cheers TR - I'm off to run 500miles at easy pace now (not in one go obviously) - your message is finally sinking in!  

Good to see running is going well for you again Birch

Badbark  - excellent

Happy running to those at Reading and Fleet tomorrow

16/03/2013 at 22:18

Moof Great news

Good luck to all our racers tomorrow.

17/03/2013 at 06:39

Mennania - hope the rest has done the trick. Children grow up way too quickly, don't they? Mine will be 15 and 12 very soon.
Moof - great news after all that frustration. Good luck!
CL - good decision on the mlr v. easy run. Good luck at Stafford.
Bike It - good MLR pace.
SJ - that foot has really given you some grief lately. Unfortunately sounds like it needs more rest.
AR - well done on listening to your body - we don't want anyone else on the bench.
Ant - good to hear you are feeling confident. 5M @ MP sounds enough for 1 week out.
OGL - only 1 run in 2 weeks now. I'm probably going to take another week off and then see how it goes. Sounds like your campaign is going well.
OO - don't be disheartened, that's still a good parkrun.
Lorenzo - good hilly 20 miler in the lovely weather.
SBD - good to hear someone is major niggle-free!
SD - fantastic run there - you are on course for a great race.
Birch - well done on reaching 50mpw. I'd say steady as she goes - you'll still be making progress without introducing any more risk.
Minni - great progressive LSR. Excuse my ignorance, but what is Raynauds? Something to do with circulation I am guessing.
BB - great running - very impressive HR stats too.
OG - nice week's training.
Good luck to everyone racing today; looking forward to the reports.
Hoping this week will bring better news for all of those with niggles / injuries.

17/03/2013 at 09:32

5 weeks to go for those of us running the full distance marathon: London.  1 week to go for Ant's marathon - how far is that one?    

Gul - here is Raynaud's explained. Its been bad this winter for some reason, perhaps the wet with the cold.  I don't really get pain but numbness and pins and needles, which is so annoying.  I couldn't use a knife and fork yesterday lunchtime!

17/03/2013 at 09:52

Lorenzo – Your plan for the 21 miler looks good

One Gear – That’s really strange not being able to run MP pace. Do you never run shorter intervals at HMP, 10k or 5k pace?

Ant – As it takes about 10 days to benefit physically from any run doing 7 miles MP one week from a marathon is pretty pointless. It may tire you a bit so I think about 2 miles MP would be enough to get the feel of the pace.

Moof – Good to read your calf has recovered. Good luck in Reading.

Carbloader – Good luck in Stafford

The most I had ever run before this marathon campaign was 70 miles in a week. I broke 80 miles for the first time last month and have now just broken the 90 mile barrier.

My week consisted of the following –

Mon. 5 easy

Tue. AM 14.3 including 10 progressive to HMP, PM 5.5 easy

Wed. AM 10 easy, PM 5.5 easy

Thur. AM 10.7 including 2 x 2 at HMP, PM 5.5 easy

Fri. 6 easy

Sat. 24.2 including 12 at MP +30 and 2 at MP

Sun. 5 easy

This is a total of 91.7 miles with nothing faster than HMP and most importantly of all I have managed it without picking up any niggles. I’m cutting the mileage next week before a HM on Saturday then one more 80+ mileage week before the taper begins. Bring it on!

17/03/2013 at 10:20

Glad to hear you've made it to the start line Moof! Very best of luck to you at Reading and to Carbloader at Stafford. And of course to anyone else racing/LSRing.

Thanks for all your advice about how many MP miles to do at this stage- in the end I did an 11-miler with 5M @ 7:10mm, and felt fine. I appreciate Badbark's comments but in fact today was all about confidence, and in that respect it was a big success.

The only thing that can stop me now is my own head. Everything else is firmly in place and ready to av it.

Edited: 17/03/2013 at 10:22
17/03/2013 at 10:42

Ant Great run, you know you can do it and we know you will do it

5 miles recovery today, legs not happy, but total of 77 for the week, new highest total.
I also have 9 runs of 20+ miles with one more to go.

Off out to celebrate St Drink lots of Guinness day. Unlike myself, it won't be pretty

17/03/2013 at 10:45

Nice one Ant.  Stay positive and you'll be fine.

17/03/2013 at 11:00

20 miles completed in 8:15 pace this morning. My best training run so far and my higest mileage week at 54. Looking forward to some race reports...

17/03/2013 at 11:10

Rugby? Did someone mention Rugby? A much  overdue performance by the reds - all 16 of them.

Minni - took my daughter to doctors last week diagnosed with Raynauds. Never heard of it before then.

Ant - Keep the faith.

Scoobs - enjoy the black stuff.

Good luck to all running and racing today. I am planning on a very gentle 10-13 miler all things being equal.

17/03/2013 at 13:05
1.20.45 for reading HM, calf held together. I'll report back later once I've dried out and defrosted. The coldest, wettest race I've run but well pleased with the PB.
17/03/2013 at 13:36

Quick update, manged 1.25.01 could be 1.24.xx i think at Stafford Half 8 minute pb from last year.

Awaiting chip time 

Anyone got any pointers as to what MP should be for london next month?

Well done Moof

17/03/2013 at 15:04

Wow, brilliant runs from Moof and Carbloader today.  You'll both have to remind me if they were tapered efforts or MP effort.  If MP efforts then Moof is on for an enormous PB next month.  Carbloader: if that was HM pace then you are (on RW folklore) marginal for sub 3 and could set off at about 6.50s if you've done the endurance work properly; otherwise, 7s and see if you can wind it up a bit from 18/20M.

Reading Half for me as part of a 20 miler.  Probably set off from my parents' house a bit early for the run over and consequently was cold, wet and miserable at the B of Bang.  Took the first couple of miles steady to re-warm up and then noticed my shoe lace was undone at 3.5M.  Not sure how much time I lost tying it; it took 2 attempts (1 with gloves and 1 without and fingers barely worked), so I'd guesstimate 30-40 seconds, although it felt like forever...  Then back into it, slowly overtaking the hordes who had streamed past as I cursed.  Felt pretty strong throughout and finished in 1.28.21 according to my Garmin, so allowing for shoelace tying it compares favourably to Wokingham (1.27.59 on a faster course).  Bring on VLM, but hopefully with far nicer weather...  Although not too warm.

PS: am on the train back and note that Wiltshire seems to have had a reasonable scattering of snow last night, so perhaps we got off lightly in Reading!

17/03/2013 at 15:52

Storming work at Reading.

I can't believe your shoelace came undone Jools - hasn't this happened on a previous occasion   But well recovered and a good day's MP.

Excellent PBs from Moof and CL.

Some big mileage weeks from Badbark and Scooby - Sub 3:00 beckons for you both.

And some good long runs and taper MP miles from everyone else.

I passed the Reading M4 juction on my way to Fleet HM and wondered why there was a tail back heading in to Reading.

Mixed day for me - 1:31:11 for what was meant to be the MP section of the 18 mile run.  Guilty of setting off a bit too fast and struggled to maintain a steady pace.  It's very difficult not to be influenced by previous PBs  On a more positive note, it was untapered and at the end of a 72 mile week.

Edited: 17/03/2013 at 15:53
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.