Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,321 to 25,340 of 35,663 messages
14/03/2013 at 22:38

No gloves, Blisters? I can put up with many things, but cold hands when running is not one of them.

Glad that calf is playing the game Moof.

Good soggy miles frpom Scooby and cold reps from Lorenzo.

Nice pics AR, and particularly like the Northen Lights thing you've got going on on your face. I've always fancied Iceland myself, but have been put off by the price of the beer.

Actually, just checking in from Taper Central. The atmosphere is getting ever more rarefied, with just 10 days (9.5 really) to go. One or two phantom niggles already of course, and a sort of hyper sensitivity. I must be doing a marathon, or something.

I remembered tonight that I hadn't even entered the race yet, so I got that little formality over with, and as such am 45€ poorer.

7-8M MP effort tomorrow.

Edited: 14/03/2013 at 22:39
14/03/2013 at 22:46

The only speed session I do is a weekly track session which is usually 3 to 4 miles of efforts at 06:00 to 06:20 pace.

I don't have a problem with this as long as I do a good miles warm up at a brisk pace. Where my old age (57) and lack of flexibility come in is when it comes to these new fangled warm up exercises the coach insists on - heel flicks, high knees, strides etc. Far more likely to pull something doing these than the running! 

And then there is the stretching afterwards - far too high a risk of injury so I have never done those.

On one notable occasion I did a track session the day after my 22.6 training run. That definitely required a good warm up and there was no way I could have stretched anything afterwards.

14/03/2013 at 22:55
OG agree that stretching is as very high risk activity. Running slowly either side of speed work seems to work for me
Blisters    pirate
14/03/2013 at 23:07

There's something on the web called dynamic stretching. For any oldies here, DON'T TRY IT. Static stretching is actually very good for you, because you can feel the limits and stop. I've been a naughty boy and not been doing much stretching this time around. Crikey I can tell.
If you want to do any fast running, or pushing on through the comfort zone, then having done daily stretch exercises cetainly limits the risk of damage.
There's no need to try and burst anything when doing the routine. Just go to the limit, hold for 10 seconds and move onto the next muscle group. It's a routine not a one off.

15/03/2013 at 00:04

Great photos Also ran - how's the bruiser?

Steady 11 miles moof under control.

Nice 12.5 miler Scooby, always made tougher bu the conditions. SOmetines I think conditions have an influence on mental staus as you can spend more time thinknig about how wet /col/hot it is and convince yourself it's affecting your pace.

Tidy 5 miler Bike It and a good pace, is that about Half mara pace?

14 miles tonight with a 5 mile steady start of 7.50 pace, then the next miles were split up into MP, HMP, MP, 10k, Easy, MP, Easy, MP, Easy. Paces came out at, 7.11, 6.43, 7.08, 6.12, 7.43, 7.05, 7.50, 7.01, 7.33 and total running time was 1.44.26. Happy with that. Half marathon pace could have been quicker but had a few things to avoid, side roads/cars/people walking 4 a breast!

15/03/2013 at 06:25

Nice MLR from Minni, Moof and OO

Blisters Nice pacier session

KR Sounds a very interesting and rewarding session. I think I would struggle to remember what pace I was meant to be running at a particular time.

5.2 miles in a lightning 9:12 mm pace. Amazing what a decent sleep does for you.

15/03/2013 at 08:58

BB - as soon as there's daylight early enough in the morning (and I'm off the bench!) I will start doing hill sprints again - hope the hill sprints don't cause injuries
DS2 - good track session - fast enough to give you the benefit and not too fast to be a high injury risk!
Moof - last year I included a small amount of speedwork all the time and was fine when I increased the volume and intensity. Guess what? During base-building this year I didn't Good news on the calf.
AR - 3 memorable pics.
OO - good hill work - hope the MP session went OK.
Lorenzo - I haven't seen a physio, just hoping rest and a few exercises will do the trick. Hop test tells me not to rush out for a test run just yet. Good idea to blame the cold weather or you could just say you were holding back.
SD - sound logic, great running and good sleeping.
TR - I was training for a 10k, so was doing 10k pace intervals building up to 3 x 2M. The plan is to bag a sub 40 and then start training for a sub 90 HM before thinking about marathons.
Bike It - excellent 5 mile TT. Good news from the ultrasound.
Minni - sounding strong.
Blisters - good run. Have the fingers de-frosted yet?
Ant - good job you remembered to enter the race!
KR - cracking variable pace session.
Too busy last night to look at the puncture, so just a brisk walk with the dog this morning.

15/03/2013 at 10:11

Alright gang, Thanks Gul for the round up - indeed some great discussion and consistent running going on!

10(should have been 12) last night at what turned out to be 7.20 pace - faster than envisaged but it seemed to be the most efficent speed without swinging from side to side and twisting the abdomin. Pretty sore today but only have a 5 recovery which I may or may not do. Its sore enough to get me looking at tomorrows 18 with 14at MP and wondering if its such a good idea. May take an aerobic or MLR run instead and replace next weeks vo2 with a MP MLR. Does this make sense? 

15/03/2013 at 13:17

That's a lot of MP miles Mennania if your abdomin is still uncomfortable?

15/03/2013 at 14:06
Mennania-only do the 18 with 14MP if you're in a fit state to do them, perhaps just stick to the easy run.

Which brings me to my sorry state of affairs, ran 5.5 with a few sets of easy strides to test the calf. Didn't like it and tightened up on the strides.
Not sure what to do about Reading HM on Sunday, may just ditch it. Trouble is it will be the third year in a row I've missed a march half due to injury or niggles.

Just to annoy me a tad more, my Garmin replacement is playing up. Struggles to find a signal and when it eventually does seems to lose it several times during the run. My 5.5 run only measured 3.2. Grrrr!

Looks like option 3....sulk! (Which I'm doing now.)
15/03/2013 at 14:26

Moof- Garmin wise is the firmware up to date? ,Ive had a bit of trouble with calf and achilles but its ok now i think.It didnt hurt much when running just when stretching,WTF lol

Does anyone see a problem doing a MLR today as i have H/M on Sunday?.

Finished my 7 night shifts now so can run without feeling dead and a higher H/R, 12 hours sleep last night to get my self back to daytime mode.

15/03/2013 at 15:19

Carbo if you are running HM at marathon pace or slower I would still do a MLR( I had to goolge what that meant!) If you are shooting for a PB I would be do doing something shorter at an easy pace.

15/03/2013 at 15:24

knight rider wrote (see)

Tidy 5 miler Bike It and a good pace, is that about Half mara pace?

I think about 8-10 mile pace.  I'd probably try a HM at 6:50ish and see how I go.  I have to admit though that I haven't run a HM for the least a year

Mennania - 18 with 14@MP is a tough one in the middle of higher volume training.  But I think that is one of the most valuable session to prepare for the marathon actual.  If you're a bit sore though it is proably going to make things worse.  Can you delay it to Sunday or next week?

CL - I think it depends on your goal.  Running an MLR today and a HM on Sunday at MP to tempo pace is fine as part of a balanced marathon build up.  But if you wanted the biggest PB possible, then of course it would not be consistant.

Moof - that calf is not sounding good - is it physio time?

13.3 miles for me as an MLR at 8:05 pace today.  It was a bit hard to run on tired legs from yesterday speedwork, but I think that gives some of the best endurance development.  

The race village for the Reading HM and signage is all going up as I ran through it today - good luck for anyone doing it

15/03/2013 at 16:09
Go for it CL.

Take it easy Gul, Moof and Menna.

Definitely looking at Iceland for the summer now. Great pics AR.

Foot is still sore from yesterday. Sore to walk on (pain on the top of my mid-foot) and I can't go up onto my toes / ball of foot. When I try nothing happens! Weird. Popped over to the hospital for an X-ray, fearing a stress fracture but X-ray showed nothing. Doctor suggested that it was a "sprain". Don't think he knew to be honest but I'll take a couple days off and get in the pool on Sunday and see how it feels then maybe chance the bike. Irritated.
15/03/2013 at 16:17

Carb, I am training through my HM's so was going to do normal MLR today before Reading. I ended up reducing it to 8 as I have a few tight muscles moaning at me. Wasn't sure why this was, but looking at the training log, I am averaging 45m pw, yet last week ended up with 89m. Now I understand!

Mennania, I say ease back while you are out of sorts / sore, and take the opportunity to do some quality when it feels right (sod the plan!)

Moof - Even if you don't raceget down to the race village and get some cheap physio on the calf

15/03/2013 at 16:27

SJ: if it's a new stress fracture as I understand it an x-ray wouldn't show anything.  Rest it for a couple of days and if you can then walk pain free it wasn't a stress fracture...

Feeling pretty knackered this end.  Hoping a cup of coffee will wake me up enough to make 6M incl 6 x strides in rainy, windy conditions feel doable.  And ignoring calls for a 5pm trip to the pub!

15/03/2013 at 19:14

SJ and Moof - Hope it settles.

Still uncomfortabel KR. Nowt today, nowt tomorrow, see what gives sunday.

Ive done enough to cut myself some slack so typing with a glass of white burgundy and probably migt have another one or two. Or twelve.

15/03/2013 at 19:51

Slokey / Moof - Don't panic, take it easy for a few days. All the best.

I like the way Slokey "popped over to the hospital" and got it seen to, just like that - here that would involve phoning the local clinic, getting an appointment with the GP, waiting two hours for that (the next day), getting referred to the hospital (a week later, if you claim it's urgent), waiting about four hours there, getting x-rayed pettishly by a surly brute and being given a prescription for some anti-inflammatories before being packed off home having been given the distinct impression you've wasted everybody's valuable time.

Mennania - That is a bit of a monster session which should only really be attempted when feeling at your best. The wine-drinking, I mean.

7.5M @ 7:05mm this morning. That is roughly 10 secs/mile quicker than sub 3:10 pace, and 20 secs/mile quicker than sub 3:15 pace. Feeling confident, strangely.

15/03/2013 at 20:02

GUL - Thanks for the summaries, are you totally benched at the moment? if so when are you expecting to start again?

In fact sorry to hear so many are suffering from niggles and worse injuries, hopefully they are all temporary blips and will be gone shortly allowing pain-free and enjoyable(?) running to resume.

Have been lurking recently and not posting enough, but have noted some very good race performances from certain individuals. Performances that suggest long held targets might finally be achieved this year. Good luck to those hardworking individuals.

Mennania - 18 with 14@MP is a tough run, if you're carrying a niggle or strain it might be better to ease off and forget the MP work, remember the aim of training is to get to the startline in the best possible condition.

KR - how are your plans going?

Moof - If the half is flat and an easy one then I would say run it, but not flat out. Either at MP or as a progressive starting slow and working up to MP. If it's a hard on or the weather is carp then forget about it and move on.

My garmin is also taking its' time to find a signal these days, but once found it doesn't lose it.

CL - what's the target for the half?

Bike it - 13 at 8:05 that's another decent run banked, are you fully fit and on schedule?

SJ - Not an injury that I'm familiar with, rest it and see how it goes on easy running.

AR- nice pictures apart from a certain one. If you've done an 89m week I'm not surprised that you're creaking a bit.

Jools - Did you run or did the call of the pub win?

Have been managing to avoid the bench this campaign, but have been finding things a bit of a slog at times. have been doing 50/60 mile weeks (previous campaigns have been low 40s) but have cut things back when any issues have appeared and when fatigue has floored my pace.

Running at fast paces hasn't happened much and haven't got in much MP work yet.

Did 9 at MP effort level today (by HR) and that came out at 7:10mm, but by perceived effort it was way harder than I could sustain for 26.2 miles. Two weeks ago I had to abandon MP running at 5 miles as I couldn't sustain it, so progress of sorts.

Edited: 15/03/2013 at 20:04
15/03/2013 at 20:15
Ant - great to see you sounding positive

OGL - I've not done any MP stuff yet but being told there's still plenty of time! I'd say 9 miles is a pretty good effort. Which marathon are you doing?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.