Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,341 to 25,360 of 35,648 messages
15/03/2013 at 20:17

OGL-Target for half is flat out, sub 1.30 is that basic time although sub 85 mins is the A time.

i have done a few 10 mile tempo runs in the 6.30 pace bracket so will be interesting to see what pops up.

I have only ran 1 half marathon before(same event as last year) and ran 1.33 off around 25mpw training so its still all new to me.

I ended up doind a 10 mile easy jog today around the 8min mile mark, might just rest tomorrow ready for sunday.

If in doubt flat out 

15/03/2013 at 20:26

Moof sorry to hear you may have to ditch the race Sunday. I know the feeling, having only done 1 proper race this year an a humble 10k only in prospect before London. But best to be cautious.

Joolska, I planned a 5 mile recovery, but came home exhausted from work and went to to bed for 2 hours. The call to the pub sounds a lot more appealing.

I'm parkrunning in the morning. After a shabby club GP I'm not expecting much but lets see what the morro brings. Should still scrape 50 miles this week.  

15/03/2013 at 20:40
Great thinking Also-ran, as you say well worth popping along for some cheap fizz advice and a massage even if I don't run.

Mennania- mind if I join you, I'm on the beer though. Don't usually bother on race weekends but the world now seems a better place.

OGL- I may just plod around on Sunday morning if at all. A guy at work wants to run sub 1.45 so may be an option to see him around. Well done on the MP, moving in the right directon.

I feel your pain/irritation slokey.

Runnings great for you, ain't it!
16/03/2013 at 00:56
Edited: 16/03/2013 at 00:57
16/03/2013 at 04:59

Sad to read of so many with niggles and benched. Hopefully a bit of rest will sort most of the issues.

16/03/2013 at 07:00

I did run and then went to the pub.  2 pints of Gem makes most weeks feel like they were actually bearable

16/03/2013 at 07:42
The pub sounds good. Sharia law is the order of the day here and beer is out of the question. Managing 5 or 6m per day on the treadie but desperate to be outside. Roll on Blighty.

March is so often niggle or injury time, people have put their bodies through a lot over the winter. Keeping the nerve is important now.
16/03/2013 at 07:51

Poacher - If beer is out of the question, a gentleman can always make do with wine or gin, surely? Hope things are going o.k. over there otherwise.

Jools - Well done on getting out...and doing both. I stocked up my beer cupboard (yes, I have one) with nice things yesterday, just waiting for me to hurry up and finish that pesky marathon first. I would put a photo up but that seems to be out with this weird font regime.

Glute niggle for me, not hampering running, just the rest of life. Does this mean I am a  tighta**e?

16/03/2013 at 09:15

onegoodleg wrote (see)

Bike it - 13 at 8:05 that's another decent run banked, are you fully fit and on schedule?

Thanks for asking.  I feel pretty fit right now.  I've mostly been running at easy pace so the volume has been high and the exhertion low.  I'm on schedule right now. Probably I'm fit enough to run 30miles or so at the moment.  The next part of the plan is to boost the mileage and distance of long runs to extend my range.  The last 4 week I've average 62mpw and a bit of a cut back this week before increasing the volume to the end of March and into the end of April.  I plan to get in a few long runs up to around 4 hours. Last year I did one run of 6 hours, but I not decided about that this year.

CL - Probably you can extend your 10mile tempo pace for 13.1 when you've got a race number pinned on - good luck.

16/03/2013 at 10:03
Poacher - sounds as though indoor running is the best bet although I'd imagine that there are some interesting trails. What exactly are you covering out there?

Jools - had to read your most recent post twice. Thought you'd had two pints of gin!

Bike It - sounds as though you're in good shape at the moment.

Ant - do you really want an answer to that?!

Just back from a rather wet and windy 20 miler. Incessant rain for the whole of the run and the water was running all over the road. Plenty of hills so was tough in places. Glad to be back in the dry and warm.
Edited: 16/03/2013 at 10:04
16/03/2013 at 10:40

Good miles, Lorenzo - and no, I think I already know the answer!

6M this morning with some strides at the end. I normally do these on a conveniently flat and straight gravelly strip in a nearby park, but when I got there today, it was just as a hoodie and his 3 (three) unleashed pitbulls arrived. A no-brainer, in more ways than one. I headed offf home and did the strides in my street, which is also straight, flat, the right length, and pedestrianised to boot. The trouble is it's flanked all the way down one side by a tall-ish building which plays havoc with the GPS signal. So, I got a bit of shock when I saw the stats - 100m strides varying from 15 to 23 secs...

11M tomorrow, with 6-7 @ MP, hopefully.

16/03/2013 at 10:41

Good 20 miler Lorenzo - how many is that now?

Sounds like the training is progressing nicely Bike It

Great mental toughness in resisting the beers Ant - definately not a dry campaign for me this time

Bad news on Reading Moof.

12 miles for me yesterday.  Feeling very sluggish at the moment but at least there are no major niggles.  Managed to fnd a bit of pace at the end with a 6:24 last minute mile.  This was followed a couple of hours later by a sports massage during which I almost drifted off to sleep at one point (definately a first).

Fleet HM tomorrow.  Will be treating this as a 18 with 14 at MP run, but hopefully the HM bit will be the right side of 90 mins.

Hang on in there everyone ...

16/03/2013 at 10:45

Ant - Beer cupd? Thats the startings of a man cave, a few well placed bits of sports equipment and soon the room will be yours!!

Turns out that I cant even drink properly these days, - I only  got upto 4 glasses of wine and I was talking in tongues.

My 13 yr old daughter has just left for a 1d concert all excited, pretty and made up in heelies and leather pants standing 5'8" or so. What happened? Where did my little girl go? (Gulps hard, sniffle, sniffle).

16/03/2013 at 10:56

Poacher I find when I can drink, it is easy not to for a few days. However, when I am not allowed to, all I think about is getting some alcohol down me.

Lorenzo Nice 20 miler bagged in tough conditions

20 miles with 15 miles at PMP. I know I should be happy, but frustration is my biggest feeling at the moment. I was aiming for 4:15km, 6:50 mm. I need to believe

00-05  km    21:11      4:14/6:49
05-10  km    21:27      4:17/6:54   
10-15 km     21:24      4:16/6:53  
15-20 km     21:24      4:16/6:53  Pace for 21km predicts   1:30:06 for Half Mara
20-24.216    18:03      4:17/6:52  Total pace predicts         3:00:19 for Full Mara
Total 15:05 miles in 1:43:29   4:16km or 6:52in mile

I am happy with how consistant I was, especially considering I wanted to pack in from as early as the 5th mile. Around the  same time I lost 8 seconds over 500metres, due to terrible pacing control, hence why km 05-10 is my slowest, either much too fast or too slow, I got better as the run progressed.

This was definately better than the run 4 weeks ago, again the fact is was run solo and on a 1.2km flat stretch (0.75 miles, I was able to extend it by 100m today), which involved 20 stop/turn and starts indicates I am potentially quicker.

16/03/2013 at 11:00

SBD good luck at Fleet, ditto everyone else racing

Nice run Lorenzo, another brick in the wall. What I'm doing here is training the national radio station, lovely people but not the easiest environment or best facilities.

Bike It - a return to form, looking good, and some good miles under the belt

Ant - its the training that counts, not the flaky GPS

Very jealous of Mennnnia's drinking habits. Actually when it's not there I don't miss it really. Honest.

Edited: 16/03/2013 at 11:04
16/03/2013 at 11:01

x post It took so long to compose my above post thatthree people had posted

Ant All looking nice. Is 7 @PMP really necessary tomorrow. Nothing to gain, but a bit to lose?

SBD Nice 12 and good luck for tomorrow

Menn That will be because the body is dehydrated from so much quality training. My daughter is seven and is already drifting away.

TR
16/03/2013 at 11:09

Scooby - frustration my arse ! 15M av 6.52 Hans Solo in training, given that you should be able to do about 12M of MP solo and that you have a taper to help you find a few more seconds that was an amazing run. MP is defo quicker than 6:52 for you son. .........and I was hoping that I can do about 5M of ~MP after about 15M of a 20M tomorrow too. Start believing that you can rather than you might.

16/03/2013 at 11:15

Great to hear you feel confident, Ant - and very impressed you have a "beer cupboard"!

nice to hear from 1gl  . .

excellent 20 by Lorenzo - fortunately the heavy rain which was slamming down when I arose at 6am had ceased when I stepped out at 7:15 for my 15 miles. 6 on the agenda for tomorrow, which will complete my first 50 mile week since pre-Boston last year. No great shakes for most on here at the moment in either volume or pace, but nevertheless a satisfying landmark for me.

Of course, I need to increase pace;  I was interested in the posts a day or two ago (BikeIt, Blisters, Onegear) re stretching, flexibility, speedwork. I'm uncertain whether to carry on for a few more weeks at steady effort, trusting pace will increase, or to introduce some strides/relaxed fartlek & regular stretching. it's not just age (58), but more the years of leg bashing (now into year 28) that make trying to run faster that much harder. Saying that, before last year's injury I recorded a 20:32 parkrun in middle of a longer run, so maybe there's hope yet.  Would welcome views of our, ahem, more experienced threadsters.

Good weekend training & racing, eveyone.   

16/03/2013 at 11:16

Scooby: that is a really good run - I agree with TR that hitting paces solo is much harder; you really don't want to know what some of my '5k pace' 600m reps were on Wednesday...  You are in sub 3 shape.  Believe it.

Lorenzo: 2 pints of gin!  Wow, I'd be comatose...  No, Gem, from Bath Ales.  I think it is now sold outside Bath & Bristol, and worth seeking out.

8.5M around parkrun marshalling duties this morning.

16/03/2013 at 11:19

x-post - greetings to TR - always good to see you pop up on here - I'd welcome your views as well, even though you're only a whipper snapper!! 

Menna, Scooby - my girl is 21 now - she's running relay for her uni today, so hopefully I did something right ! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.