Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,601 to 25,620 of 37,213 messages
23/03/2013 at 16:37
Henley looks like a good event Blisters. Might have a crack at that one next year. Are you following a set schedule or are you free styling it?

Not a happy bunny here. Merrily cycling away this morning and cut into an underpass (cycle way with no vehicular access) and some berk was driving his pickup truck through it meaning I had to skid and hit a concrete wall to avoid him. Damage includes: a dented helmet (ooer), a bruised and sore shoulder with grazed knees, a badly twisted handlebar, a squeaky chain set and a wobbly back wheel. As you can imagine I had a few choice words to the driver and thankfully restrained myself from escalating things further when I was nose to nose with him. Made the report to the police easier. Have to wait for their view when they've looked at the scene and talked to the driver.

Anyway, off on holiday tomorrow, 5 days in Paris! Just the wife and I!! Whoop whoop!!!
23/03/2013 at 17:18

Bloody hell, Slokey - you were really lucky not to have come off even worse. Hope the police do the business.

Have a great time in Paris - but wrap up warmly.

23/03/2013 at 18:24

Eventful day it seems!

I wimped out of the parkrun and settled for a 9 mile plod in incredible winds. Should be a 20 miler tomorrow to get to 45+ but I'm on the pop tonight so who knows

23/03/2013 at 19:07

Slokey Hope it is just slight bruising etc. Enjoy the holiday.

23/03/2013 at 19:49

That's awful Slokey. I hope you can get him to pay for the damage to your bike.

ssc
23/03/2013 at 20:29
Any advice on racing in the snow tomorrow? I am due to be racing a HM as a pre Brighton tune up. PB is 1:28, was aiming for sub 1:30 with an attack on the pb if feeling strong but the weather will affect this. If like today it is snowing, strong head wind - what is a good target time? Was really looking forward to the event as a real indicator, now just confused and unsure.

Thanks
23/03/2013 at 20:38

ssc: if your event is still happening (quite a lot are cancelled if it's icy/snowy) then I think you'll just have to go by perceived effort in windy conditions.  I know that's not wildly helpful, but it's the best I can suggest.  Good luck!

23/03/2013 at 23:02

SSC-as per Joolska comments......perceived effort wins if you do race.

00- Ahh me too, 22mi planned which will take me to 52 for the week .Ive had a few Polish Largers although i have done all 3 marathons that i have run with some alcohol content Pb with hangover lol. Im used to it all counts as carb loading lol.

Slokey-As a keen Cyclist/MTBer well more of a cyclist than a runner, just marathon training turns me into a runner i feel for you .The standard of driving on the roads is ridiculous, glad you came away without serious injury.

23/03/2013 at 23:08
Blimey Slokey that was bad enough but could have been worse. Was the driver apologetic?

ssc - sometimes the conditions aren't as bad as you think they're going to be once you get going. Perceived effort, as Jools said.
23/03/2013 at 23:59

Worst LSR of the campaign tonight was scheduled as 23 miles and I was going to do it tomorrow morning but had a change of plan as the roads are clear here tonight. A full blown pub lunch with 4 pints of cider and an evening meal of leftover curry followed by cheesecake are hardly the fuel of champions.  Coupled with my new shoes which are going back to Sweatshop next week under their guarantee after my experience in them tonight.  I cut it short at 17m after the pace fell to 10m/m and it just became too awful. I'm sulking with another cider now.

Glad you're OKish Slokey but the bike sounds a bit of a mess.  Good that your helmet did its job

24/03/2013 at 05:40

Bike It - What was the matter with the shoes? Choice preparation, btw!

24/03/2013 at 06:11

Bike It - nice MLR. Hope you had a good day with your wife.
SBD - good luck with the 20 miler today.
Jools - well done on the parkrun PB - so close!
SD - is that 10k TT for jantastic? Have a blast.
RFJ - Is the 10k still on? All the best.
Martin - that's some going in these conditions!
Moof - jacking it in would have been the sane thing to do. Should have been a DNS let alone a DNF.
Blisters - three hours in the garage! Nice session.
Ant - You must be soooooooooo frustrated. I'm sure if you ask, Greg will change your race distance and time under these circumstances.
Poacher - 35F would be an improvement here!
Speedy - don't lose heart; could be so different this time around.
SJ - Thank goodness you're OK. 5 days in Paris with your wife should take your mind off things - have a great time.
SSC - you may have to re-think your plans. If the race is still on, the conditions are going to seriously affect your time; won't really be an indicator of your current fitness. As Jools said, run to perceived effort and see what happens.
Bike It - very brave of you to even attempt a long run after that lot!
A bit of snow here, so could be heading to the field tomorrow. Nice and easy is the order of the day, I think.

24/03/2013 at 09:14
Interesting prep Bike It!

Good luck ssc and anyone else racing today.

Thanks for the commiserations folks. Minni, the driver wasn't apologetic at all. He obviously didn't want to admit that he shouldn't have been there and I wasn't particularly friendly or polite to him which probably made him more entrenched. Anyway, a few days away has come at a good time considering that I can't swim (very tight shoulder), bike (bent) or run (foot). I am due some good luck when I get back!!

Have fun everybody...
24/03/2013 at 10:32

Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Bike It - What was the matter with the shoes? 

They have too much heel I think.  I've either got the choice to run slow with huge heel strike which fatigues my hips or run fast leaning forward which fatigues my core. Either way I'm knackered.  The cushioning is fantastic though!

24/03/2013 at 11:14

21 cold miles, average 7.49m/m.  1 more LSR to go!

24/03/2013 at 11:25

Nice iles and pace Jools

13.1 miles with middle 10 km as a "race" I was expecting to fail badly and I was proven correct. Mentally I gave up after the 6th km and the second half was closer to PMP than anything else. Still d&d. Heavy, heavy rain here but at least there is not much wind.

24/03/2013 at 12:10

Conditions here very challenging today- cold and gale force winds. So pleased with a 22 miler at 8:45 pace. It's my longest of the campaign and gives 49 for the week.

In contract to you Bike It I must say my new Asics DS racers came into their own and were still comfy after 22 miles and feel as light as a feather.

Hard lines slokey but as you say it could have been a lot worse. Better to bend the bike than your leg. 

24/03/2013 at 12:22

I can't offer to cheer the thread up after Jools' chilly, but admirable, effort, Scooby's valiant attempt at what looks like a very ambitious sesión, Bike It's shoe-aggro, Slokey's cuts and bruises etc.

After the huge disappointment of aving my maratón suspended/postponed (it now looks as if it's going to be the 28th April), dragging myself out for a 20-miler was really hard. But at least, I thought, it will be a doddle, compared to a tough 26.2 race which I had been preparing three months for.

No. The first 12 miles were o.k. but then I started getting fed up with it and things started to go wrong. My hips started aching and - well, you know when you don't fancy it, it just doesn't happen. The last couple of miles were mental torture. When I finished, I felt absolutely awful, nearly cramping in both calves and took a while to recover. Mrs. Ant even had to assist in getting my trainers off. The temptation is to think "good job I didn't have to do the marathon today", but I suspect other, darker forces are at play here. Like psychology and things like that...

In fact, the stats don't make for particularly grim reading - av. 7:32mm, av. 138bpm, and 8 miles @ MP.  I'm almost looking forward to the next one as it can never feel as bad as this again.

24/03/2013 at 13:23

SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
 that I can't swim (very tight shoulder), bike (bent) or run (foot). I am due some good luck when I get back!!

Oh dear.  Not so good when you're IM training.   That driver is an idiot. 

Ant - definitely darker forces at work.

Jools, OO nice long runs banked.

22.3 for me today in 3:15.  Chose a hilly route and yes OO that wind is blooming cold.  Had company for the first 17 then on my own so speeded up and although the average overall was 8:44 the last three miles were sub 8.   That's always the way I like to finish.

24/03/2013 at 13:54

A  schaudenfreudes dream this forum at the mo. Still nowt for me to report other than a mild(ish)recurence of the tendonapathy in my groin so am convincing myself the enforced break is probably for the best shortterm but am panicking that the last two interrupted weeks are 44 and 26miles respectively.

I need to join a Gym this week as been out for a drive and there isnt a snowball in hells chance of any pavement running up here.(See what I did there).

SJ - Unfortunately too many nutters out there these days.

Minni, Jools and OO - very envious! Nice LSRing

Ant and Scoobs - I think most are in that mind set presently.

Should I reduce the taper to two weeks to make up for lost ground? I understand many on here think 3 weeks is too long anyway.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.