Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,661 to 25,680 of 38,662 messages
28/03/2013 at 09:22
Bonjour. On our way back today after a super break in Paris. Highly recommend it.

Sounds like Coniston is turning into a potential thread gathering, count me in, ashamed to say I've never done it yet its only half an hour away.

Ant, I've had PF a couple of times in both feet. 1st time it was sorted with a lot of calf stretches and then running a marathon made it go away completely (!). Second time the right foot cleared up over about 6months with no concession to it other than regular hamstring, calf stretching and massaging with various hard objects to the underside of the foot. The left foot developed an acute problem which stopped me running completely for several weeks and flares up after a couple of weeks of each tentative come back effort. It's kept me out since September. So a tricky one to know how to deal with. Just don't do anything heroic for the next few weeks then have a good 2 or 3 weeks off after your race to let it settle down. You don't want a long term problem with it.

LB, hope yours settles down too. Any idea what causes it to keep recurring?

I've done plenty of walking over the past few days which seems to have encouraged my other weird foot pain to ease off and I'm hopeful of running again soon My post bike crash shoulder injury again failed the "lift the heavy teapot" test at breakfast this morning unfortunately but I'll trade a shoulder for a foot.
28/03/2013 at 09:24
http://www.coniston14.co.uk/
28/03/2013 at 10:14

Did a 13.6 yesterday in the bitter cold wind. Route took me along the Boat Race course (Cambridge made the final again, yippee) and I saw the crews out practising. The tide was very high as it was being blown up as well as a spring tide and when I was on my way back the route I had run out on was a few feet under water.

minni, you switching to TM marathon now?

Any ideas on Garmin battery life, my 305 is 2 years old and warned of low batteries yesterday at 1:45 hours: no good for a marathon if that happens.

28/03/2013 at 11:31

Earth to Minni: please call in and tell us why your confidence has gone! 

Nothing exciting this end; bit of a hectic work week and so have made my first deviation from P&D.  Will replace 13M MLR with 2 x 6M today and then add a wee bit on to tomorrow's run, which will include some HMP/MP work.  Was just too shattered last night to even contemplate a 13M run in the cold and the dark at 8pm when I finished work...

28/03/2013 at 13:23

Skipped a track session at lunch as CNBA fairy was blown in by the cold Easterly wind and an ankle niggle so did a lazy 5.05 and that got me to 199.9 miles in March so far so should have done 5.15

Edited: 28/03/2013 at 13:23
28/03/2013 at 13:53

Minni - ((( ))). There - is it all better now?

KR - Great sesión, hope that's your lurgy banished.

Slokey - Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye on it. Funny how it just cleared up in your right foot and then proceeded to give you gyp in your left.

I did a bumpy 10-miler this morning @ av 7:08mm. The foot gave me no grief, thankfully. I actually felt like a proper runner for once.

28/03/2013 at 15:46

New shoes here and thankfully they suit me this time.  I went for the Saucony Triumph.  I got them last night and enjoyed a nice comfortable 13 miles in the cold and snow this lunchtime. Lots of cushioning as well as flexible.

38 miles already for the week and planning to add more to get into the 70s over this weekend.  And already this month is my biggest ever at 243 miles so far.  I'm following the outline of what Bruce Fordyce did and boost the mileage from middle March to end April.  There is not much intensity in this phase though.  I'm generally just doing 6x2m hill reps followed by 2 miles at HMP as  the hard session and the other quality runs are LSR/MLR

Last run of Jantastic entered to complete it.  I'm about a month behind in Marathon Talk so I'm not feeling much live motivation from it actually.

28/03/2013 at 15:54

Bike it - Which model did you get of the Triumphs, 9 or 10? I've been using them since the 5s and have been very happy with them. I'm on my third pair of the 9s at the momnet, and you can still get them at good prices. The 10s may have to wait.

TR
28/03/2013 at 15:57

Minni ? - confess !

I use the Triumphs had quite a few pairs of 7s and 8s, I'm now on my second pair of 9s but the uppers have developed holes in them after not many miles both pairs in the same place, which is pretty poor in my book.

28/03/2013 at 16:01

TR - Really? That's a shocker. On a pair of the 8s I use for the gym (I ran 500 miles with them), the mesh has started to come undone in one place, but otherwise no problems.

TR
28/03/2013 at 16:11

I have put way more than 500M into pairs of 8's and they have been fine (more like 800+), current pair of 9's have holes in (as did the previous pair), the holes ahve been there for ages and the shoes have done about 350M. I am saving them for the summer, and have started on another new pair ready for VLM. I told Saucony to pass the info on to their boffins. I wont buy the 10s until they come down to the ~£50 to 60 I can buy the 9s for at the mo.

28/03/2013 at 16:25
Minni - where are you?!
28/03/2013 at 16:35

Search party? 

28/03/2013 at 16:36

Heads..............Gone!!!

28/03/2013 at 16:59
I'm here - sorry. All will be well, I'm sure. Thank you.
TR
28/03/2013 at 18:29

you can't say that after getting our attention ! spill the beans !

28/03/2013 at 19:39

Guys n girls, will I get any beneit out of an 18+ with 14at mp tomorrow or is it too close and I am just burning matches? had a couple of lowish mileage weeks due to niggles and snow but do I just consolidate where I am at with an easy 20? I am off all weekend so was planning a LSR tomorrow and Monday.

Suggestions really welcome.

28/03/2013 at 20:28

It's the Saucony Triumph 10. Good to hear that others are using them as well and liking them to repeat the purchase.  I've never tried them on before and was a bit sceptical about them.  First run was very good and I'm feeling very positive so far.

TR
28/03/2013 at 21:10

Bike it - thinking about it, I reckon I've had the 5,6,7,8 and 9 version. 9 is the only one to develop holes, after VLM when I'm back to the usual 100M/month the 10s will be nice and cheap by the time I need a new pair.

Mennania - 14 at MP is a long way, and two long runs is a lot maybe two easy ones or just the 10 ~MP. I have done a couple of 8M blocks of ~MP in my midweek 13's but this week I did 10. I have been carfeul to keep a bit slower (aiming ~6:40 ish) than MP too - the thinking that it was early doors, wearing lots of layers and carrying my work luggage. So probably a similar effort to MP. Exact MP wont be found out until the day.

28/03/2013 at 21:23
Mennania - I'm no expert but 14 at MP sounds a lot 3 weeks out. My plan for Sat is 22 with 8 at MP (foot permitting)
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.