Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,661 to 25,680 of 37,208 messages
25/03/2013 at 16:02
knight rider wrote (see)

Is that beer still umopeneed in the fridge?

Erm, most of it, yes...Quite right about ther importance of having a new date. As long as I can be patient and a bit smart, I can turn this shambles to my advantage.
When is it going to stop raining?

25/03/2013 at 16:24
Got to a meeting in Chester, finished early, no snow, kit in car, got changed- main error fault shows up on car- wont start. Waitin for green flag to be towed to dealers. Hacked off with it all now. It seems the elements are now conspiring with inanimate objects to hinder my chances of running. Boo hoo.
25/03/2013 at 18:12
knight rider wrote (see)

Always love the how far you going mate conversations when doing really long runs. I'd just done 11 miles by that point having run out from Leicester, with another 11 to get back. Legs feel surprisingly opk today.

I reckon we need the technology to catch up so that as you approach a runner you get some sort of Sims like triangle over his head which says "50% into a 20 miler @ 7:20" so that when a runner doing 4 @ 7:15 overtakes they know they are in the presence of a better runner and give you a pat on the back rather than a "come on old boy" assuming 7:20 is all you can do.

25/03/2013 at 18:51

Not that you're hypercompetitive or anything.....

TR
25/03/2013 at 18:53

I only very rarely see other runners when I train, makes VLM day seem a bit crazy !

25/03/2013 at 19:10

It should be compulsory for all runners to display their Power of 10 summary data on the back of their outer running garment at all times.  If course, if anyone ever overtakes me I slow the breathing right down and tell them it's just a recovery run today ...

Was there not time for a run before the green flag man arrived Mennania?

5 miles recovery today.  A few niggles appearing but hopefully tomorrow's Sports Massage will sort them out.

Definately feeling a bit more positive about London but I think a target time of 3:10 is looking a bit more realistic at this stage. 

Edited: 25/03/2013 at 19:12
25/03/2013 at 19:26
I can run 20 miles and hardly see a vehicle never mind a person. Sometimes I sing out load to my iPod to test the effort I'm running at. Yesterday I even did a bit of air guitar in the last few miles. It's lonely in the Country.
25/03/2013 at 19:31
Mennania- when you're down on your luck, you're down on your luck. If you had been with the RAC, you could have bagged yourself a decent 20 LR. (In my experience)

Usually see a fair few runners on a Sunday, especially before Reading HM, which can make any emergency pit stops a hurried affair.

Minni- you crazy cat.
25/03/2013 at 20:22

You only sing when you're running, sing when you're running

Just had a game of dominos. Living the high life in Monaco

25/03/2013 at 20:28

I often see a few runners on my long weekend runs but since running early morning in Derby I see the same two men walking their dogs, one man and woman walking to work and a few cycling commuters.  I often sing to myself, especially when doing faster stuff.  It helps me forget the pain!!!

9 comfortable miles this morning skidding along on icy paths.  Hoping they will be less frosty tomorrow morning as I want to do something a bit quicker.

25/03/2013 at 21:48

When I phoned up they sent me a text with an ETA of 40 mins, then 30 mins later they sent me another with ETA of 30 mins etc. When the chap picked me up he told me that they knew he was going to be 2 hours as he was coming from Rochdale.

Anyway got to the garage in Chester around six pm and decided to run home,

so 13.5 with 8 at pmp. First 6 nice and easy and comfy and then got a bit slippy toward the end in the dark so backed of as necessary. Pleased to get back in the saddle. Just look forward to my main dealer bill tomorrow

The difference in conditions between Chester and home is staggering and it changes over half a mile and 200 ft in height.

25/03/2013 at 21:51

Minni - I play the air drums when I am running - I must look a right tool

25/03/2013 at 21:54
Ha! We could have an air band at VLM!
25/03/2013 at 21:57
SBD. wrote (see)

It should be compulsory for all runners to display their Power of 10 summary data on the back of their outer running garment at all times.  If course, if anyone ever overtakes me I slow the breathing right down and tell them it's just a recovery run today ...

Good idea. Very irritiatign when you start to chase someone and it turns out they are a racehorse and not a carthosrse.

Minni wrote (see)
I can run 20 miles and hardly see a vehicle never mind a person.

Hyde Park couple of weeks ago when it got abbove freezing was thick with runners. Today none.

25/03/2013 at 22:48
Singing while you're running? Pah, that's for novices!

Has anyone else tried a midweek run with 6 x 100m Dad Dancing?!
25/03/2013 at 23:21

Lots of runners at the coast where I runing. Anyone else developed a canny knack of know that when some runners pass you it's just not going to last long. You either retake them when they slow down or they end up walking  just up the road.

Had a rest today, back to the plan tomorrow. 

26/03/2013 at 06:15

Menn A run is a run , especially impressive after a 2 hour wait. Also good that it shows mara pace feels comfortable after a bit of taper.

I see the same street cleaners, cleaning the same strip of pavement every morning. I think I must really annoy the guy who does the flat 0.75m section when I am doing intervals or tempo runs.

6 miles recovery at 9:00mm today, ready for another 4 this evening.

Edited: 26/03/2013 at 06:16
26/03/2013 at 09:20

DS2 - don't panic. I'm sure you'll be just fine.
FINgers - cracking mileage.
KR - good running in the snow.
Mennania - glad you managed a run in the end. Hope the bill isn't too much.
Like TR and Minni, I very rarely see other runners while training - also have been known to sing as long as I'm a reasonable distance from any housing, but never along to an ipod nor playing air guitar.
SBD - hope the massage has done some good.
Martin  - take care on the ice.
Did an 8 mile progressive/regressive thingy this morning:- 8:15, 7;14, 7:02, 6:29, 6:28, 6:57, 7:06, 7:25.

26/03/2013 at 09:28

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of "fair weather" runners there are - it's very quiet on the roads at the moment - even in the central london parks. Although that said, I did see a few extra people out this sunday looking a little out of place having to get out and do a long run, I assume before VLM.

I learned a while back to ignore people going past me on a run - I used to get caught up racing them but now just focus on the session that I am doing. Well, occassionally it doesn't hurt to up the pace a little just to keep the competitive spirit alive

Last big week this week. And I've got a cold.

Moved rest day to yesterday to allow knee to calm down a bit and not let this cold take hold but back to it today - it's only snot after all!

2mile w/u 5x6mins off 2min Recovery, then 2mile w/d. Lets see how fit I am....

Keep running/recovering/tapering y'all.

26/03/2013 at 11:37

No-one out running first thing this morning when I did my intervals. Bloody cold in that wind and I thought the legs weren't going to manage. Anyhow 9 miles with 6 x800 at 5k pace completed and feeling pleased with myself for getting out there.

i usually like the point I'm at (7 weeks to go) but the weather isn't making it as enjoyable as I would have liked. Still I suppose it's all sent to make us mentally stronger!

Must be a rude awakening for all those charity VLMers doing it for the first time. I reckon there willl be more runners than normal underprepared come 21 April.

In a way it's a bit easier for the committed few who just take it in our collective strides!

Well done everyone - your reward will have been hard earned this year!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.