Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,681 to 25,700 of 37,220 messages
26/03/2013 at 11:44

This is just a quick post to say how sorry I am to read that Ants marathon was cancelled. How bloody frustrating!

I had my planned half marathon cancelled at the weekend but it was really just a training session for the big event at VLM. I ran 19 snowy miles instead.

Having my HM cancelled means I haven’t raced over 5k this campaign. Do you think a 10k flat out 15 days before VLM would be beneficial? 

26/03/2013 at 11:48

Good to hear that you bagged a decent run Menna, after everything was conspiring against you.

Certainly a chilly day for it DS2 - well done on getting the session out . Those intervals can sometimes be difficult first thing.

15m this morning done as a progressive MLR. Couple of easy days coming up, and then Maidenhead10 on Friday.

26/03/2013 at 12:44

I'm on holiday next week so I'm not going to cut back on miles- plan to run everyday. Then a steep 2 week cut back.

26/03/2013 at 13:33

Good run DS2 with the 800m reps tucked in there.

Nice progressive early run Gul

Badbark - shame about the HM being cancelled. I know MArtin doesn;t nowmally do any races in mara training, expect a progressive 20 miler if that counts. I was going to do the Loughborough HM but didnlt enter in the end, just as well as it got cancelled too.

Manic trip to Ikea last night.Thought it was open till 10pm. Got there at 8.45 and had to return a few things to start with. Then walked into the showroom and it was spookily quiet. Just as I asked where something was, an announcement came out that the store was closing as it was 9pm. I've never run so fast round the store before (must have been funny on CCTV!). Was back on the road again at 9.15. If only all Ikea trips were that quick!

26/03/2013 at 18:19

Sounds like a record time for an IKEA trip KR

A 10K won't do you any harm Badbark but if you've already done plenty of 5Ks there may be no real benefit.

I'm beginning to get very bored with this weather 14 miles in what felt like arctic conditions early afternoon.   Ideally, I should have given myself more than 4 hours after the sports massage but needs must

Will be at Maidenhead 10 on Friday as well AR but I won't be anywhere near the Sub 60 that you must be capable of. I'm so hoping for sunshine rather than snow

TR
26/03/2013 at 18:25

BB - Mike Gratton used to recommend a 10k the weekend before a marathon so 2 weeks out would be fine. I havnt run a race since November myself, but I dont need any build up races to help me try to set a goal pace etc I just run VLM at what I think seems to be the right sort of effort, the pace takes care of itself.

26/03/2013 at 19:07

Nice run Gul, hopefully no new niggles

BB P&D Have an 8-10k race in the schedule 15 days before race day

SBD Still 14 miles d&d. I am really not looking forward to returning to the British weather next week

4 miles this evening, to bring it to 10 for the day.

26/03/2013 at 19:29

Brrrrrrr, getting really bored of this cold weather now.

Anyway did a double today......... 46miles on the road bike followed by lunch and a 7 mile run @7.20 pace

Oooshh, yes running that pace felt pretty hard after the bike session. Anyway some kind of MLR tomorrow maybe 16mi if the legs will hack it, need to start getting some MP into the longer runs.

Still getting my motivation from visiting this forum.......keep it up

26/03/2013 at 20:14

Ikea is actually a great place for fartlek - you sprint from the Billy bookcases to the Glump sideboards....then jog down to the horsemeat counter before legging it to the car park. Etc.

Can't believe its nearly taper time, I have nothing to taper from and a nasty knee niggle has appeared from nowhere. Could be on the 4hr train at this rate  Sorry Minni

Not long to go, keep the faith and trust the training, its getting close to the stage where you can't do much to help but can do plenty to hinder if you overdo it.

26/03/2013 at 21:41

Oh dear Poacher that doesn't sound too promising.

I like your philosophy TR, sounds like a stress free plan.

I did 10.5 tonight, no garmin so I'm guess ing 8:30 pace. Might have a late entry for a 10k this Sunday. I would do 5 up and down to make it worthwhile.

26/03/2013 at 21:47

Good double there Scooby.

I've not run since Sunday mornnig. Woke up yesterday with a sore throat which has developed into a head cold. My wife is out at the theatre tonight but should be back by 10pm. Normally I'd go out, but think another night off might help rather than hinder.

26/03/2013 at 21:58

If conditions are anything like here KR I'd stay in too. A real bone chiller out there.

26/03/2013 at 23:24

4 mile recovery run this along rather chilly Norfolk roads. Like everyone else, I'm getting a bit fed up with this cold weather.

Having got a real boost on Sunday and listened to the latest Marathon Talk podcast the other day as well as all the advice not to burn too many matches at this stage of the campaign, I'm seriously thinking of not going as long as 20 miles this coming weekend (maybe 15 or 16) but placing more emphasis on shorter, faster sessions over the next couple of weeks. I'm pretty confident about the endurance. Is that wise or am I being over-confident on the back of one decent race?

Jools - I'm in Bristol on Friday night as we're staying at my sister-in-law's place en route to Swansea. Would you recommend the Ashton Court parkrun?

27/03/2013 at 05:59

Not cold here particularly, but it's been raining since I can't remember when...

That sounds very wise Lorenzo. I'm sure you have the endurance, harnessing it to a bit of speed will really leave you feeling sharp come 21st April.

Poacher - Hopefully that knee will start playing the game, good luck with it.

Great midweek miles from SBD and AR- the pieces of that jigsaw are starting to fall into place for both of you.

Badbark - As I said before on here I have often done a 10k two or three weeks out and found it beneficial, i.e. usually got PBs in both 10k and maratón.

27/03/2013 at 06:52

KR and Poacher look after yourselves

Lorenzo That makes a lot of sense to me

11 miles with 5 x 1200 with 2 min recovery. The first four were bang on 4:31, 4:32, 4:34, 4:35 (6:02-6:08 min mile), annoyed without myself for coasting the last one, especially the last 200 metres (last 200m at over 4 min km pace), 4:43 (6:20 min mile).

Still another one done, I am now at the point of ticking runs off. I really struggle to motivate myself for the runs early in the week but enjoy the weekend LSR. I am hoping this is a sign of major endurance levels.

27/03/2013 at 07:10

Lorenzo: Ashton Court parkrun is fab, but it is the one I usually do which is about 1M uphill, 0.5M flattish but on a gravel/stoney path, then turn around, so your time will be slow and your splits progressive.  Little Stoke (north Bristol) is apparently much faster, but I've not done it so can't really comment.  On a clear day, however, the views from the top of our course (always assuming you have the energy to take them in) are amazing.  I won't be there myself as I'll be nursing a hangover (going to see the Wurzels on Friday - it would be rude not to drink a fair bit of cider ) en route to lunch chez parents.

27/03/2013 at 07:23

The wurzels- blimey Joolska you to live it up!

I'm thinking the same Lorenzo. I'll run everyday next week but I'm thinking shorter and faster. I've now got 2 10k's booked for the next 2 Sunday.

27/03/2013 at 07:58
Good running from everyone and helping to keep my motivation high. I'm trying to keep up to date with the thread, just struggling to find the time to post.

Sorry to here about your marathon Ant - can't imagine how frustrating that must be!

The 10K I was doing on Sunday as my Marathon Talk race got cancelled, so I did a 10K time trial last night. Really wasn't looking forward to it, but managed 37.57, which is only 3 secs slower than my 10K PB and was only 8 secs slower than my MT target. So really pleased and quite a confidence boost. However, I'm got a bit of a niggle in my right foot which was quite sore afterwards, so will need to keep an eye on this
27/03/2013 at 08:38

OO: they're a West Country institution!  Or, as we would say, gert lush, me babba

27/03/2013 at 09:00

FINgers - hope the cold doesn't last long.
DS2 - well done on getting those intervals done in the freezing cold.
Badbark - I wouldn't have though there's anything much to gain from a flat-out 10k. But what do I know? You'd be better off listening to Mike Gratton, P&D, TR, SD, OO and Ant!
AR - 15M progressive run and a 10 mile race - you should be ready to taper!
OO - enjoy the holiday.
KR - congrats on the IKEA WR.
SBD - bored with the weather? That's not very British - we're obsesseed with it!
SD - nice double and great intervals - don't think coasting the last 200m will have made any difference to the gain.
CL - good bike and run double.
Poacher - hope the knee niggle is pre-non-taper madness.
KR - hope the lurgy doesn't linger.
Lorenzo - hope you enjoyed Hethersett. You know best how ready you are and whether you need any more long long runs, so I say go for it.
LB - that's a fantastic 10k TT. Take care of that foot.
More easy miles bagged. 3 last night and 4 this morning.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.