Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,701 to 25,720 of 38,226 messages
TR
29/03/2013 at 11:03

OO - tough day

minni - re-read the 2nd para of teh post you did at 22:24 last night...........and start being a can not a cant !

Mennania - 10 in a 20 is still a hard run.

Martin - wow, that was a fast run inc the 7:08s. what was the total time ? If you can speed up after all of that then you are in great nick. Maybe better than last year although you dont have as many miles in the bank.

29/03/2013 at 11:43
TR - 2.15.43 for 20m. First fuelled long run of the year. Two rounds of toast an hour before, a carb gel at 9.5m and two sips of water. Pace was quicker than last year but not sure I managed to bag enough miles in Dec/Jan to make a PB possible. Will still be very happy with a 2.5x.
29/03/2013 at 12:10

Great LR Martin. Let the madness begin.

Massage yesterday, including some active isolated stretching on the hip flexor. Feeling better today so decided to press on.

20 miles this morning including the Maidenhead Easter 10. Hadn't run that distance before so full of 'learning potential'. I was looking for something under 61mins

I found it a bit of a brutal distance - any mistakes, bit of boxing in etc and you are having to play catchup. Mile 8 was on a rutted path, windy, and a line of runners to get past (thats my excuse), and that was the dodgy mile I had. Finished up with 60:48 on the watch which I was really pleased with. Pretty much bang on McMillan time based on Reading HM. Maybe that Mcmillan guy knows what he is on about.

20 today was very stop start due to the race so will get a time on feet long run done on Monday.

Good luck to everyone else LR'ing or Racing

29/03/2013 at 12:21

Nice run, AR - I remember mile 8 at Maidenhead well from when I did it!  Shows you're in fine shape.

Good LR from Martin.  You might just surprise yourself at VLM.

13M for me including 5 x 1M @ MP.  Probably pushed a fraction too hard in the MP miles and ended up more 6.35 than 6.45 but it was nice to burn off the gins and tonics from last night!

29/03/2013 at 12:32

Long read back done - plenty of inspiring stuff going on  . . . .
Just to pick up one or two

BikeIt - Fordyce is a fine example to model yourself on - there's a fair bit on him in Noakes, with plenty relevant to mara training , as well as ultra, imo

Minni - I was just going to echo what TR said, along with my own experiences to back up the point, then I saw "I also feel that last October I ran a comfortable marathon (Town Moor) in 3:25 and that was not flat out and off no real marathon campaign, with only 3 long runs.  So I see it that I have continued to build since then and sure that I have gained 10 minutes."
As a "look at the evidence" type, I can't add any more to the above - except, (with nod to TR again), be a can, not a can't - of course this is only possible if the body has the wherewithal stashed away, and you have demonstrated that yours does! So toe that line with "trust the training" in your bonce, and get the job done  . . .

Talking of TR - I noticed on the other thread you referred to "free Sundays" !
Is this correct?  thought all your summer Sundays were taken up with the leather and willow? 

Good weekend running, everyone, including those already done (Martin - cracking run, Menna - correct choice, I think)

15 sunny miles here, now over 310 for year, (with 3 15's now + a 14 & 3 x 12's )which is probably a prudent return to the fray

ps (edit) meant to ask - Jools - has the Wurzels gig been and gone, now?  if so, did you indeed "drink up thy cider"???

Edited: 29/03/2013 at 12:35
29/03/2013 at 13:01

Wurzels gig tonight, me babba.

29/03/2013 at 13:29

Building back nicely Birch

Excellent 20 there Martin - you may surprise yourself in 23 days time.

Storming run AR - a Sub 60 must be in your grasp in the future.

Maidenhead 10 for me as well.  It was a bit windy so definately a good day for practising the draughting skills.  I was determined not to set off too fast and run an even paced run.  Just about got there.  First 5 (Garmin) miles in 33:02, last 5 in 33:23, watch time of 66:47.  Didn't enjoy Mile 8 either although Mile 9 was my nemesis (6:59).  Slight recovery on Mile 10 which was 6:25 and 5:59 m/m pace for the final 21 seconds

Now trying to weigh up whether to do the 20/22 miles tomorrow or Sunday?

Edited: 29/03/2013 at 13:31
TR
29/03/2013 at 15:55

Martin - indeed, lack of miles might hurt you. Your quads will let you know on race day ! 2:15 is impressive, I only have the one 20 that has some mP in it, but i'd like one morw tomorrow, most of my long runs have been slow, I made the 3 longest (2x22 and 1x23) last 2:40, 2:46 and 2:54.

Birch - 15 ! Nice one. When the indoor cricket season finished recently (did you see my post about that ? and the all-star game ?) which signalled adults only crciket for my eldest from now on, i resigned my intended U13 Team manager role and my youngest has joined another club that is a bit more selective and has a very strong colts structure. His team manager becomes his S E Hants district team manager rather than his clueless (at cricket) dad. No brainer, hes way too good for me now.

29/03/2013 at 16:13

Afternoon all. Still suffering from the lurgy here. My cough is absolutely disgusting. I ventured out today for my first outdoor run since Wednesday LAST week. Struggled at first then, er, expelled a large glob of mucus. Felt great for a few miles, then my legs started to complain (eh, they should be fresh as daisies). I hoped the mucus expelling might mean the end of the minging cough, but alas not. I managed a couple of treadmill trots at slow paces on Wed and Thurs too. 

This was supposed to be peak mileage week, but it's going to end up with fewer miles than a cutback week, and I'm so far from peak fitness it just isn't funny. I was only borderline hopeful  for sub 3 with a perfect build up, so realistically I'm not going to get it this time. This has been anything but a perfect build up. 

Oh, and I've arrived in the North East to find my mum has a cold, so I'll probably get another one while my immune system is already compromised. It's not like I can really avoid her!

TR
29/03/2013 at 16:27

Birch - .............teh new club will play home games midweek, so its just the odd away game or  S E Hants Sunday game. I was fixed to Sundays with the old club.

29/03/2013 at 16:29
Excellent racing AR & SBD and MP running Jools.
Good to see you getting back Birch. Stay sensible.

Hope you clear the lurgy soon Speedy.

TR - I think I'll be fine for 2.55ish as have 2x22+, 1x21 & 4x20s. They vary between easy and progressive inc a 3hr run in the snow last week. It was mainly the midweek mileage I lost but I have done a fair few quality sessions over the past 8 weeks. What will be will be!!!
29/03/2013 at 17:44

Ah, yes, TR - I did see the post re your boy joining the other club. I hadn't twigged your relinquishing the team manager post obviously meant more "you" time (at last). Must say, excellent progress by your lot on the cricket front - good nurturing! 

Jools - tonight?  I trust a report will be posted . . . . . .

SBD, AR - fine racing, chaps

Speedy - whilst understanding your concern, you have plenty banked, so maybe see how you feel in a week's time? 

29/03/2013 at 18:18

Welcome back to the North East Speedy. A trip down the Big Market in a T shirt should sort out that cold At least a cold is not an injury- I'm sure you'll feel fresh and great in a few days. Understand the frustration though.

16 for me this morning to compensate for a poor week so far.

29/03/2013 at 18:54

Get well soon speedy, enjoy the wurzels Jools (Is that an oxymoron?)

Eded up doing an accidental 22.25 today as it appears i totally buggered up my google maps thingy. Anyhows ave pace of 7.16 and through 20 in 2.23.xx, which is 4 mins faster than VLM last year. Felt really good and a beautiful day excepting the blustery wind. fastbits in 6.49 and final two at 6.35 and 6.23 respectively. Felt I could have easily gone on for another four.

29/03/2013 at 20:34
Great racing from AR and SBD at maidenhead today, forgot all about that one but doubtful I could have got a pass today.

Fast running from MartinH as usual.

Speedy you've still managed to run a fair few miles, I've just crept ahead of you and badbark on the fetch stats but I would imagine you both have yet to log yours. Just shake the cold and I'm sure you will be fine as that is still big mileage.

Minni- don't know what all the fuss is about, you seem in pretty decent shape. (Apart from the legs)

Look after that calf TR.

Only 5 easy for me today as I'm planning on giving it some at the parkrun in the morning to try and hit my Jantastic target.
22 miles planned for Sunday and not sure how I'll approach that yet but definitely looking forward to tapering as my legs do feel heavy and about to fall apart.
29/03/2013 at 20:40
An excellent long run Mennania, decent bit of speed you have there and a great confidence booster.
TR
29/03/2013 at 20:57

Martin - agreed on the 2:55. I'm intending to try to stay the right side of 3M every 20min (2:55).

Birch - indeed, I'm "just" a dad now on the club cricket front.

Mennania - so 8 av 6:49 and then you sped up ? cracking effort. Good confidence boost. Not sure I could run 10 at MP in a 20.

moof - trying to, most campaigns have a calf strain in them. 4M loops for my intended 20 tomorrow (altough its teh same bit of straight 2M out 2M back that I do my MLRs on too). I only have a few run routes, and that includes my commutes.

29/03/2013 at 21:15
Thank you all so much for your positive comments. Wobble is officially over!

Speedy - are you at the parkrun tomorrow? I'm coming down and bringing Jovi with me.
29/03/2013 at 21:34

Also in Maidenhead 10m today.

Went off a bit fast in 1st 3 m and suffered a bit in 4th mile but held it together and pleased to have 34:33 and 34:44 for each half.

New PB by over 2mins of 69:17 (garmin)

Now trying to figure out how to convert this (and other) spring PB's on flat UK tracks into a MP plan for a hilly Boston - net downhill, with a sharp climb at miles 19 & 20......totally unlike VLM and Abingdon, my two previous maras.

16 days and counting

30/03/2013 at 06:48

Just for Birch (as the rest of you are clearly too cool for the Wurzels), 'twas great fun.  Naturally, I drank up me cider and ooo-arred to my heart's content.  Off for a 4M run and then lunch with my parents.  Must try and stay awake on the train...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.