Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

25,801 to 25,820 of 38,251 messages
02/04/2013 at 23:38
Ant, Speedy, Bluemoon - hutch up, its only a small bench. Good luck with your injuries. I take the view that miracles can happen, a few years back I was literally almost unable to go up and down stairs 2 weeks before VLM then overnight it disappeared and I knocked out 3.10. Cotton wool can work wonders.

Gerard - as Lorenzo says but Jersey must be a great place to run, plenty of hilly routes. Main thing for mara debut is to enjoy it and savour the experience.

Down to the track tonight to test the injuries - the knee I can deal with but the ankle ligament feels like a months or two. Shame, as today someone donated a fab fancy dress so I'm tempted to jog London if remotely possible just to have a laugh.

Enjoy the taper madness everyone, not long to survive.
03/04/2013 at 01:36

Poacher, can ibuprofen help, what's the cut off for you on racing?

Speedy - I can relate to the infuriating cold/lurgy, I'm over the worst (fingers crossed), but still full of snot. Has the doctor not given you anything to help? Hope the rest day does some good - keep taking the vitamins. I'm back on a daily dose of vitamin C.

Ant - you've got some good training in the bank with the mara date being pushed back. ENjoy the rest and take it easy till you fel you can run on t again.

Mennnia - Good luck in your 10k - I reckon you have got at least 37.xx or better in you depending on the course profile.

Hi Gerrard - You have some deecnt shorter race PB's. A sub 3.15 is definitely achievable. There are sme that have gone sub 3.15 without dong a sub 90 half!

Onegoodleg - Looking at AVINGIT in my half on Sunday and looking to go sub 85 minutes.

Wise words TR!

8.5 miles tonight with 15 x 400m reps at the local park. More of a work and turn effort. One direction was slightly downhill and the return slightly uphill into the wind. Av pace was around 1.23/1.24 on the uphill and 1.19/1.20 on the donwhill (if you can call it that). Felt a proper runner in my new dayglow Asics Excel 33's!

03/04/2013 at 07:03

Gerard - Welcome - It all depends on the amount of endurance training you've done. Otherwise, with those numbers I'd say you're in with a good chance of sub-3:15. On race day set out at sub-3:15 pace, but don't be too worried if you don't pull it off. The main thing in your first marathon is to finish, and enjoy it as much as you can. Good luck.

Poacher - So where do I stick the cotton wool?  Hope you can get yourself sorted in time.

Speedy - Never, EVER look for a diagnosis on the internet. You will be convinced you've got something life-threatening - or worse!

I'm off out now, as my hip seems to have miraculously cleared up (famous last words). As a precautionary measure I might divide my scheduled MLR into two runs today.

03/04/2013 at 08:56

SD - I guess it's not the distance of a recovery run that matters but the duration - mileage will be dependent on pace! Pleased to hear the physio is helping.
RFJ - had to read that twice (or thrice) to take it in - good session.
OO - good result - shame you don't get a prize. Just read your next post - shame on you!
Speedy - ((())) Get well soon.
SBD - strides probably have a good placebo effect if nothing else.
Welcome Gerard - a lot will depend on your endurance, but sounds like you may be thereabouts. How many 20+ milers did you do? I know what you mean about lack of local races, but I think it would be best to give the 10k a miss.
BM -  sorry to hear of your woes. I'm not really the best person to advse you re core strength - did the physio give you any exercises?
OGL - yes, I'm not planning too far ahead at the moment; just have a vague idea of key sessions each week.
KR - speedy reps as ever - I can recommend some nice leggings to go with your new shoes.
Ant - take it really easy!
Did a 4 mile recovery run this morning and some more painting.

03/04/2013 at 09:23

Thanks for all your comments. I think I am going to aim for sub 3:20 and see how I go. I don't think I have done enough long runs to aim for the quicker time. Did 2x18's 2x20 and a 22. Legs have been feeling pretty flat recently and very rarely have I felt great on my runs, only real decent run was a 15 miler at 7:20 pace which felt easy but that was one of those days were the legs felt like they belonged to their rightful owner for a change. I guess that must be the accumaltive mileage in the legs. I am not going to race the 10k it's too risky, there is a group of runners I know who are aiming for sub 7 min mile pace so I will try and pace them for that. I did a 42 min 10k training run  last week and it felt ok so hopefully I can get then round without any problems.

Poacher: You are right, Jersey is a lovely place to run and there are some nice trails but I admittedly am not a fan of hills, I like fast and flat. Wind here is always an issue and I am doing a 5k race tomorrow night, it's along the seafront but it's looking like there's going to be a strong North Easter so PB may be out of reach.....!

03/04/2013 at 09:45

Poacher - Thanks for taking the time last night to help us with our Boston trip

Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays booked for the Saturday afternoon, feet up and stay off the hotdogs.

03/04/2013 at 09:56

Gerard, don't worry too much about feeling a little flat recently - quite understandable when you have peaked on the training volume. Now you have time to get race ready. Agree that one week out is a little on the risky side for racing if the marathon time is a big deal to you.

I've now joined the taper crew. Last MLR today of 14, and now it's downhill on the volume.

Good progressive decorating from Gul

03/04/2013 at 11:14
Bluemoon, sounds like we have the same issue. I've signed up to a Pilates class to help with core. As for glute specific work which is my major issue I've been doing the following (although not all on the same day)

Controlled leg drop - lie on back, knees bent and slower lower one knee out to the side then slowly raise back and repeat on both sides ad infinitum
Clams - lie on side, knees bent, back against a hard object to stop your hip rolling back and then slowly raise the uppermost knee and slowly lower - 3x10 reps then other side
Leg raises - lie on side lower leg straight out and upper leg at 90degrees - slowly lift upper leg and hold in the air for 15s then slowly lower. 3 sets of five on each leg (burns like a motherhubbard)
If you have an exercise band - loop it around a heavy chair leg, stand with one foot in the band and push that leg out to the side against the resistance of the band - 3x10 reps on each leg
Squats - single leg if hips aren't rolling about - no need to go too low
Clench! Tighten those steely buns when you are driving or sitting at your desk!

Trick with all of these seems to be keeping it slow and controlled - if you start swinging legs or allowing back/ hip movement then other muscles take over so keep an eye on your form - good luck!

PS my foot feels a lot better at the moment - even had a jog in the woods with my 10 year old daughter the other day and might nip out later. Bike is fixed but still at the workshop (I am ??180 lighter) until I can pick it up on Friday. The police said they couldn't do anything with the driver since there was no collision with his car and the signage wasn't clear - advised me to pursue the council. Tried a swim set on Sunday and still sore after seizing up afterwards.

I think I am going to have an amazingly solid next few weeks after this enforced little rest - the sun is shining and race season is a coming...!

Keep the faith my fellow bench dwellers!
03/04/2013 at 11:47
Just had this sent by mail.... For anyone fancying a trek round the lakes

http://www.ultimatetrails.com/
03/04/2013 at 14:25

Speedy Hope the internet is wrong as always.

OO For shame

Gerard Welcome. I have gone sub 3:15 without first going sub 40 or sub 1:30, so possible if the endurance is there. I also agree with AR, your legs will feel battered, hopefully the next 2.5 weeks will sort that.

OGL I have not raced since London last year, so no shorter stuff to use as a calculator. I am still undecided about 10k this Sunday, as I don't like shorter stuff ("hurt") and it is as likely to dent my confidence more than help. I may do the local parkrun instead. 

I do however have lots of endurance, 10 runs of 20 miles + this campaign, including 2 with 13 and 15 miles at PMP (came out 6:52 pace or 3:00:18) lots of MLR in there as well, including 13.1 miles this morning at 8:04 pace.

Now home in Liverpool and off to get a hair cut. Recovery run and then physio booked for tomorrow.

03/04/2013 at 15:12

Scooby now looks like this:

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/3207430719/dfe0a4e3aa0d574156bac286b26df0fd.jpeg

Slokey - The British Bobby is not what he was...

I did 10.5 miles this morning and found to my relief that my hip is fine. The foot, on the other hand is still giving me gyp. It doesn't actually stop me running or alter my gait, it just mildly hurts, especially afterwards. Doing all sorts of stretches and hoping for the best. 

Anyway, without worrying much about pace, av 7:27mm.

03/04/2013 at 16:23

That word endurance keeps cropping up and I fear I may come up short in that department if I aim for the 3:15 target. As some of you have reminded that it's my 1st one and I should try enjoy it. I think if I go for the 3:20 I may just enjoy the best part of it but as someone said earlier (sorry forgot who it was now) I have no idea what horrors await me post 22 miles.

Scooby - thanks for the words of encouragement, this is unchartererd territory for me and all being well I am confident I can pull off a good run on the day.

AR- You are right, recovery time now is key and I plan on doing a 10k run tonight after taking the past two days off to rest the legs. No idea what pace I am going to run will see how the legs feel. Looking forward to it even if the wind is howling.

03/04/2013 at 16:40

Hi Gerard - My first was Chester on the back of a 1.28.5x half and a very disrupted through illness training plan - I come undone at mile 20 and finished in a 3.25.xx. My Second was at VLM with the same half time but I coasted to a 3.13.xx. My weekly mileage was less than yours (upto low 40s bar one or two weeks) but I did get the 5 x 20s in. All your times except the 5k are from 12 months+ ago so given your recent increase in training(?) may be a little soft. Does 3.15 give you GFA? If it does it might be worth taking the risk in an attempt to secure entry for the next two years. 

03/04/2013 at 16:45

ooh, theres a local five male race tonight and its gorgeous out there - should I bin the 7 with strides and give it a whirl or do the sensible thing and stick to the plan?

03/04/2013 at 16:56
Race, race, race!!!
03/04/2013 at 16:58

Run those five males out of town

03/04/2013 at 17:14

A 5 male race?  And people complain about Race for Life... :??p

03/04/2013 at 17:22

Race it Menn!!

03/04/2013 at 17:24

Yes, go for it - it's only 5 mules..or were they moles?

03/04/2013 at 19:34

I couldn't race 5. I've done 30 in the last 3 days and the legs are wiped out. I'll limp slowly to the w/end then it's parkrun, followed by a 10k smackdown with Minni in Blyth on Sunday . Speedy are you doing this one or still too ill?

There's also a clun GP 5 miler next Tuesday. Then after that the brakes are on   

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.