Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

26,021 to 26,040 of 37,084 messages
07/04/2013 at 22:48

Good run KR- of course you need to run at 3 hour pace- no brainer isn't it?

Packed lunch was nothing to write home about, and I didn't mention 3 ladies runner beat me, including a very well paced lady from Alnwick Harriers (Johanna G-O)- you might know her Minni. She paced me perfectly over the last 3 miles. 

07/04/2013 at 22:49
AR- HMP+30 sounds doable, doesn't it? We'll find out one way or another at about mile 20.
No idea where to stand as I don't get any family support, just get asked what time I reckon I'll be home! ((Sob!))

KR- ignore macmillan, embrace RW.
08/04/2013 at 01:10

Out in Texas where (1) it is warm and dry and pleasant (2) I have no family so can do doubles on a Sunday. 10 in the morning and 10 in the afternoon to bring up a 59 mile week with no sngle run much over 11 miles.

KR, sub 3, don't over think it.

08/04/2013 at 08:47

AR - 21 mile taper long run!
Ant - you've clocked up some solid long runs this campaign.
Mennania - cracking 10k, especially on a hilly course.
KR - sorry to hear you didn't get the time you were looking for at Belvoir.
RFJ - great long run.
DS2 - well done, that's a decent result considering you haven't started to taper yet.
SD - take it easy now.
Moof - hope you can get those niggles ironed out.
OGL - nice 10k following a 5k on the previous day.
CL - nice MP session.
OO - congrats - that's a cracking time.
Martin - sorry to hear about the cold.
PMJ - nice double in Texas.
Did 11 miles this morning with 3x2M off 800m recoveries, same as last week, but not as successfully: 6:20/6:05, 6:25/6:14, 6:39/6:26. Overcooked the first set, as you can see, and paid for it in the last.

08/04/2013 at 09:47

Menn Great report

OO Good report

KR Interesting report. I would imagine the last few miles were hampered by the cold. Hopefully a couple more weeks recovery and sub 3 is on.

Gul Still a good session, I believe one of the points of these sessions is to help pacing, so they are always helpful.

08/04/2013 at 09:51

OGL & 00 excellent racing!

CL - 16 miles with a hangover is impressive, 10 @ MP is beyond belief!

Menn - echo the comments of everyone else re your race report. Will stay on this forum in the hope you race often just to read your reports. Super time.

Moof - I'm in the same boat re MP long runs, I have only done one which was a 15 miler @ 7:20 pace and the rest have all been high 7's or thereabouts.

KR - Am I correct in saying your mara PB is 3:10? If so you must go for sub 3, your form and training suggests you will be close and I wouldn't base your decision on your half performance (which btw is still a very decent time!)

Taking this taper business far too seriously me thinks, only 30 miles for last week! Ended up only doing a 10 miler y'day morning @ 7:45 pace but did run walk behind my 4yr old son who was on his bicycle and we covered 5 miles in 2hrs!!! Does that count as time on your feet? Afterwards he protested and said he hates his bike and just wants to run everywhere!!

Calf muscle in the right leg sore again and can feel it when I walk, wonder what is causing this. Hope the taper will make me feel fresh & l revived as opposed to the way the legs have been feeling the past month or so.

PMJ - Envious of the warmth in Texas, used to live in Africa and miss those early morning runs with the sun on my back and hop in the pool afterwards.

08/04/2013 at 10:49

From the lowlands of slugdom, I'm impressed (and envious) of the fine training/racing going on (not to mention the excellent reporting) - -
KR - has to be a sub-3 attempt
Minni - "will be a gamble" you said. No gamble, the evidence is clear - you will do it!
Speedy - really sorry about VLM; hope you cash in later, wherever you end up racing.

still steady as she goes here - 14 on Sat, 5.5 y'day gives a 41 mile week. Right h'string tight and sore. Strange, as I'm only plodding  . . . .

08/04/2013 at 11:38

It’s great to read about another productive running weekend.

Great Parkruns from OO, SBD and Lorenzo

Minni – Excellent PB and race report

AR, Ant, SBD, RFJ, SD – Great long runs in the bag

Mennania – Brillant 10k

KR, DS2 – Good HMs if not exactly as you wanted

Moof – Good long run and I hope the niggles heal up

Good running OGL, Carb, SJ, PMJ, Gul  and Birch

Great 10k OO

I ran the Belfast Decathlon 10k race yesterday. I really didn’t know how I would perform considering I’d run 100 miles the previous week including 22 miles with 10 at MP. I also ran an 18 miler mid week and was feeling a bit tired and sluggish. I’d only decided to run this event 2 weeks ago when my planned half marathon was cancelled due to snow.

The course was flat and the weather conditions were perfect so I thought I might as well try and break my 37:40 PB that I set in 1996. If I fell apart I had a readymade excuse due to the high mileage!

My plan was to think of every mile individually and attempt to break 6 minutes for each. I configured my Garmin for 1 mile auto lap and displayed the average lap pace.

My splits were 5:54, 5:55, 5:47, 5:57, 5:52, 5:49 and 1:36 (5:44 pace) according to my Garmin and I was given a chip time 36:44. I’m totally over the moon with a PB by nearly a minute and I can now officially claim to be the fittest I have ever been despite being 43. That was the only PB I hadn’t broken since coming back to running after a 13 year break.

My confidence is now sky high for a sub 3 attempt in London. I just hope Mother nature will be kind with the weather.

08/04/2013 at 12:23

BB - brilliant performance. You should be rightly confident of a sub 3! Into  top form at the right time. You give all of us coffin dodgers extra confidence! (I'm 49 Saturday)

08/04/2013 at 12:48
Top running Badbark, a very impressive time. I had a look at your MP run over on fetch which shows you're in great shape.
I hope you are going to taper off a bit now as you don't want to be over cooked in two weeks.
08/04/2013 at 13:35

Awesome running Badbark and nearly 1 minute off your previous PB is an even more impressive statistic.

Thanks for the sub 3 encouragement. Taper starts today!

08/04/2013 at 13:47

KR - you are definitely in Sub 3 shape. I wouldn't read too much into yesterday. You were going well until coughing your guts up and considering you have only been able to tick over the past couple of weeks it was still a very good run.

Good luck with the taper!

08/04/2013 at 14:36

Great stuff, Badbark, and more than a minute off your PB - wow!

Also excellent racing and reports from Mennania, OO50 and KR. KR, don't worry about race-time predictors and converters and what-not, your training suggests you are definitely in sub-3 shape, so you have to go for it. End of.

Grerard - Watch out for that calf...

Gul - as Scooby said, sessions like that are valuable as they teach you a lot more about pacing than maybe a more evenly-paced effort would have.

Right. What am I to do? I went to the hospital this morning for a fairly long-standing appointment to have an allergy test done. They put two long strips on my back with samples of 41 different components, chemical and otherwise, to find out what is causing an allergical reaction I've been getting. These strips were then covered up with sticking plaster. I was then given strict instructions not to get the area wet until Friday morning - no showers til then...but no training of any kind either. My marathon is on the 28th April, so two weeks out from this coming Sunday.

O.k., so in fact the enforced rest may do me good and I doubt I'll lose any fitness, but what training shall I do? There's a 9km race on Sunday which I was going to incorporate into maybe a 16-miler. I'm now thinking of doing , say 11-12 miles on Friday morning, a 4-5M recovery in the evening, and then 8-9M  on Saturday.

What do you think? Should I ditch the race and do another 20 miler to make up for the lost miles this week? Or is it pointless to try and play catch-up?

Help!

Edited: 08/04/2013 at 14:38
08/04/2013 at 14:45

Ant,

Do the race as part of a 10-12 PMP session and do 15-17 lsr on the monday. That is what P&D upto 75 has me doing (albeit one day retarded). Hope the allergy test comes back ok.

KR - sub 3.

Lots of brilliant races this week - OGL, OO & BB

08/04/2013 at 14:51
Ant, get some miles in but don't overdo it. Smashing yourself next weekend to "make up" for a couple of days off is counterproductive at this stage. Just write the days off and pick up the programme as normal on Friday. Hope they don't find out that you are allergic to running!

Badbark - you are my inspiration sir. [bows down in awe of huge improvement over 12 months]
08/04/2013 at 15:15

Badbark Brilliant PB. Looking very, very good for London

Ant I would run the race, no use playing catch up. Plus with the extra taper you have the miles.

08/04/2013 at 15:25
Ant I had that same allergy test done a while back, weird isn't it having bits of stuff stuck to your body. Be aware that it might just rule things out rather than finding the cause. Don't play catch up, I would say

BB - flying, sub 3 shoe in if you take it easy and don't do anything silly.
KR - may as well give it a go, what's the worst that can happen
OO, OGL, nice racing too
08/04/2013 at 16:54

Fantastic result BB! Take it easy now and sub 3 is all yours for the taking.

Fate dictates I shall run Edinburgh. I reckon that even if I can't train for another two weeks I'll still have time to claw back enough fitness for a slim PB attempt. Just need to find somewhere to stay. I had seen an apartment yesterday for £37 for the night, really close to the start, but of course that's gone today. 

08/04/2013 at 17:38

'sup

Briefest of interludes from me

Great racing from many including OO, OGKL and BB

I DNF'd yesterday at Blyth with a little hamstring issue that will be fine in a few days but should settle

You'd be welcome to stay at ours pre Edinburgh Speedy. We live about 10 mins from the start line. You'd have the same bed that Race Jase used last year for his sub 2.30. PM me if you want a free room.

08/04/2013 at 17:44
Hey Frazer, how are things going (aside from your hamstring blip)?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.