Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

26,041 to 26,060 of 38,194 messages
10/04/2013 at 16:02
Moof - don't forget RFJ's buff! That makes four.

I can officially announce that Hull is one of the least inspiring places to go for a run. Was staying next door to the train station and everywhere apart from a 400m stretch of "marina" was either main roads or docks.

Just under 5 miles in total with 5x800m reps but no pleasure at all.

Slight groin niggle, but hopefully nothing serious. Will rest tomorrow.
10/04/2013 at 16:41

Been away from the computer for a bit so a bit of belated catching up:-

Badbark: cracking PB, you must still be chuffed with it.

Speedy: looks like your alternative plan is coming together, now you just have to get over the cold/flu and get race fit.

Frazerelli: Was at your recent parkrun race, didn't see you but then I did finish 15 minutes behind you.

Minni: any niggles from the 10k?

Fingers: Congratulations on the new arrival, and on the new house. Have you started checking out running buggies yet?

PMJ: Are you wishing you were doing VLM?

ANT: Are you in taper mode or full-on training at the moment, yours is the 27th isn't it?

Martin: still time to get over a light cold.

OO: have you got a mara planned?

Moof: To loosen off have you tried swimming? I find dodging the kids in the pool for an hour helps with freeing things up.

Lorenzo: Some places aren't worth going to.

Apologies to those that I've missed.

Made the mistake of not running on Monday night (family life got in the way, but I'm a marathon runner and I need to run) and was suffering on Tuesday when my legs were stiff and sore, I find that I run better if I run every day, rest days seem to leave me crippled.

So, hopefully, it's running every day to the marathon. Today was a harder session than intended and ended up as 9 mile at MP, because sundays MP work was tantalisingly inconclusive.

Session today came out at 7:01mm pace for a HR about 10 beats below previous marathon HR figures. Sadly I don't think my legs could stand that pace for 3 hours, so it confirms my thoughts that 3:10 is the target and it's 7:15mm pace all the way.

10/04/2013 at 16:46

Poacher Looking forward to seeing the outfit, I think.

4 miles recovery today. Felt the glute all the way around. Hopefully a sign of improvement. Got a tempo run tomorrow, if glute is tight I will try at least for PMP and see how painful that is.

Had some needles stuck in my arm/shoulder today, officially called dry needling rather than acupuncture, it seemed to help. Physio saying an op may be necessary, made an appointment with the doctor for Monday to get a second opinion.

10/04/2013 at 17:05

Scooby - I had some Dry Needling done on my calf last year a couple of days before Wales Marathon. I hobbled in, and came out walking normally. If it turns out to be placebo, it worked for me!

10/04/2013 at 17:07
OGL- I've had a similar niggle (its not an injury yet) before and swimming just aggravated it, usually riding my bike gives it grief but at lunchtime I went out for a 40 min hilly blast and this seems to have loosened glute and hip a little. Quads now feel like jelly.
Hopefully that's a breakthrough and I may attempt a run tomorrow, all out 1 mile reps!! or perhaps a little plod.
But at least I can get out on the bike to stop me going stir crazy.

Stay sensible now Scooby, not a lot to gain but plenty to lose.
10/04/2013 at 18:18

Moof & OGL, believe it or not I've also got sore glutes, and what feels like a trapped nerve in my lower back- it's more of an issue when I stand rather than run. Nothing too serious but I'm having a rest day and will be on the foam roller tonight.

10/04/2013 at 19:32
onegoodleg wrote (see)

PMJ: Are you wishing you were doing VLM?

Some ways yes, others no. I have just done my first full month training (200 miles+) since last March so I am not in marathon form and certainly it has been easier to get back bit by bit without having a looming goal but also there is so much excitement round that it is hard not to get swept along with it. 46 miles in the USA so far in 4 days so not bad for a heavy eating trip.

10/04/2013 at 19:51
2013. The year of the tight arse.
10/04/2013 at 20:21

Not brilliant news this end.  Having felt pretty ok by Saturday afternoon I attempted an easy 4 miler on Sunday; didn't feel great that afternoon/Monday morning and cough has been getting steadily worse since.  I still feel knackered and although I'm not coughing up much gunk, I am coughing up some, so currently not fit to run.  Unless I turn a corner soon the best marathon training I have ever done in my life is going down the drain.  Arse.

Sorry to go offline for a few days and then return with a 'me, me, me' post, but (a) have been busy and (b) am drowning in self-pity.

10/04/2013 at 20:27
Still time time recover Jools. Stay positive.
10/04/2013 at 20:39
For heck's look after yourselves. As has been said there's plenty to lose now. But a week and a half to go, niggles can clear and illnesses can respond. Anyone with a heap of maras under the belt has run a few in less than ideal condition, sometimes those are the ones where grinding out a result is quite satisfying.

Mennania - no syrup, going to be Bald Spice with a sparkly top hat and veil. Apologies if your family are traumatised
10/04/2013 at 20:40
Jools - nooooooooooo. I can't bear it. Your build up has been amazing, please don't let this awful cough take you too. Sending you tons of healing vibes. (((( ))))
10/04/2013 at 20:54

Better this week than next Jools - hope it clears in the next few days.

Glutes fine here but the right calf is a bit tight.  It's been like that for a while so not a big issue but it would be nice to get rid of the tightness before the day.  Sports massage on Saturday and icing will hopefully do the trick.

9 miles at MP sounds a bit hard this close OGL

4 miles recovey today - hardly worth getting the trainers on for but that's what the schedule said.  That's only 16 miles of recovery running in 3 days - feels like I haven't done proper training for weeks

Edited: 10/04/2013 at 20:55
10/04/2013 at 21:06

Any of you who aren't currently ill, for God's sake stay away from EVERYBODY! Day 20 of coughing here. It's a nasty one, don't get it or I'll have no-one left to cheer on. 

Bald spice??? Sparkly top hat? I certainly won't miss you going past Poacher!

10/04/2013 at 21:13

Jools - Time to recover- stay positive.

Poacher - What start you on - look forwasrd to seeing you in your outfit. Wear a carnation so I can recognise you

15 miles which turned out to be s slow death msrch on monday with  a break yesterday and 6 tonight. Ready for the taper.

10/04/2013 at 22:04

We same to have 2 camps, the sick and the injured. I'm hoping there are some fit people out there too. Joolska, terrible news but I also feel you have a good chance to recover. I often run really well coming out of flu so lets cross eveything and hope that it's not a Speedy style mega bug.

I gave my arse a good pummelling with the foam roller tonight, it feels like a prime tender lamb chop now . I know this niggle will not beat me but remain conservative at 3:05 as a forecast. 

10/04/2013 at 22:09

Jools Positive thoughts being sent your way.

Hoping all our arses become slack next week

10/04/2013 at 22:53
Best wishes to the sick and injured. As with most I seem to be trying to fight both off. Minor niggles, but hopefully nothing serious and panic stricken when I hear someone cough in a 100m radius!

My number is 36759 and I'm on the red mass start. I'll my wearing a Children with Cancer UK vest with Lee printed on the front and blue shorts.

Only one real target and that's sub 3.15. Though I'm going to aim for 7.20 pace to allow for a little fade (though don't want to re-open the positive vs negative split debate!). I'm struggling to cut and paste the list, so if someone could please add me to the list
10/04/2013 at 22:53
Jools - that's the last thing you deserve. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
11/04/2013 at 00:08

Jools - as others have said, keep the faith and feel the vibes. The collective positive energy will get you to the start line; you deserve to be there.

Updated list as per LB70's request.

GREEN

Mennania:28067 Clic Sargent top with Johnny written on it - Sub 3:00 
Lorenzo: 29916 (not sure what colour vest yet) A: sub-3:10; B: 3:13:22(PB); C: 3:15 
Minni: 29900 Green and Purple Vest, A: sub 3:15; B: 3:17, C: 3:20
Poacher 29616. red/white/blue dress, time 3.14-3.25 but not bothered

Badbark – 28126, White headband, white and black vest and shorts. Yellow shoes. A sub 3:00, B sub 3:09:57 for a PB, C sub 3:15 for GFA

RED

LB70 - 36759 Children with Cancer UK vest with Lee printed on the front and blue shorts. Sub 3:15

RED GFA
moof- 32394, blue vest with nick on the front and moof on the back, A; sub 2.55, B; sub 3, C; Best effort.
Martin: 32179. fairy. 2.55 or GFA

BLUE
RFJ 5373 black fetch vest and fetch buff or Andover AC vest (Blue and white stripes) with red shorts

SCREAMING, WHOOPING, HOLLERING SPECTATORS
Speedy - Fetch mile 22
PMJ - drinks station mile 23

Edited: 11/04/2013 at 00:08
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.