Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

26,361 to 26,380 of 35,687 messages
17/04/2013 at 14:49

Hey Bike it, I am excited for you doing the Comrades. I used to live out there and one of my relatives has done 12 of them. I think he is taking a rain check this year. Running in SA is a different thing altogether, they run mega distances over there and it's so hot too. I ran a half marathon in a small desert town a year or so ago and it was 37c by the time some of the runners were finishing. Fun times though and miss it out there.

Legs feel good after yesterdays Sports massage, for the 1st time in ages I can actually touch my calf muscles and not feel sore.

CL - Yes I am too. I think I am losing my mind with all this in activity, weather has warmed up here and I can't wait to run this evening.

I was just checking the results for Sundays 10k race here in Jersey and for those who read my race report Liz was 6th Lady home! 10th male finished in 37:10 and he is a 60 something year old runner. I guess really fast people never really slow down if they look after themselves.

SD- Good news re glute

17/04/2013 at 15:09

The weather forecast is looking ideal at the moment ...

Exhibition safely ticked off this morning - resisted all forms of retail therapy and escaped in 10 minutes.  There were a few sick looking people on the tube so I'm now on the First Defence as a precaution ...

More worryingly the right calf has been playing up a bit since Sunday and the periformis is playing up in the left buttock.  Hopefully all just taper madness ...

17/04/2013 at 15:16

Hey DS2 - make the most of being a square as next time you will be 64. By Guls reckoning at 43 I am in my prime

Jools - I would take todays run as a good sign.

SBD - Yep, it is taper madness time.

7 with 2 to 3 at pmp tonight. Looking forward to it.

17/04/2013 at 15:26

Hopefully, I'll be wearing this on the day:

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/340278/gallery/london_number_0.jpg?width=350

17/04/2013 at 15:47
Expo done and dusted.

Pen 2 off Blue start - same as last time.

Stayed only to listen to Martin Yelling as he normally puts up done good pictures and picked up a couple of Beet It shots incas e my order doesn't get here.

Each time I do this race the expo gets more underwhelming.

You've still got a few days Jools - the bug will be out the system properly by Sunday and you'll be fit and raring to go.
17/04/2013 at 15:48

Sounds promising Jools. I really hope it comes together for you on the day.

While you lot are tapering and going mad I'm trying to rebuild my fitness, and since I'll be away all weekend I had to do my long run today. I was foiled in my route plan by the canal path being closed so I had to make it up as I went along. I am so unfit it is unbelievable. The last mile was 9.18. I hope it comes back quickly.

17/04/2013 at 15:51

No bargains or freebies FINgers?

17/04/2013 at 15:58
There probably were but I've still got to pack my house up and move between now and Sunday so didn't really have the to mooch.

I think that had a bit of money off on the garmin stand, and Xempo were there plying their wares...
17/04/2013 at 16:47

Jools: So is sub 3 at VLM on? Didn't realise you were going to be at Lochaber, may have seen you without realising. There was good support out on the course especially from a group of four shouting like eejits. How did your friend do?

Speedy: Have patience, your fitness will return within a week or two and there is five weeks to Edinburgh, you'll probably only need a very short taper as well, poss 10 ten days or so.

Notice that the taper is causing the usual madness and worrying to many, not long now.

Seem to have recovered fairly quickly this time and am about to head out on a short recovery run. The on the day problems with my stomach and hamstrings/glutes were gone by Monday AM. Sense has also deserted me as I'm already contemplating running it again next year.

17/04/2013 at 17:08
Hope everyone's heads are in the right place for Sunday

Speedy - I'm sure it'll all come back quickly. Relying on you for a top performance up here in May

Creeping back after my little hamstring debacle. Felt a tweak in the 4th of my 1k intervals yesterday but nothing bad - took the safe option of not doing any more though

11 today in the howling wind and rain.
17/04/2013 at 18:52

surprised your still going that far Fraser...

17/04/2013 at 20:56
Successfully navigated Expo - not as much going on this time, but the music still makes the hairs of the back of my neck stand on end.

Decided to shell out on a new pair of Skins and a bag of Chia seeds (just to see what they're like) but resisted the temptation to go mad on beet shots.

Pen 2 on the green start so hopefully see you around the 3 mile mark FINgers.

Still got a slight niggle at the top of my leg but it's most niggly when I've been sitting around for a while and when I walk around it's OK. Going to see an osteopath tomorrow to get things checked but hopeful of making it to the start line on Sunday.
17/04/2013 at 21:16

Jools - Fingers crossed for you, but I'd say there's cause for optimism there.

Good luck to all VLMers with staying sane, healthy and niggle-free.

I did 14 miles today. I was going to do 16-18 but then as the day dawned sunny and hot I saw the error of my ways...I'm only 11 days out from my big day, after all. I did the first 10k too fast, in retrospect (46:14) and then I started to feel the heat (22ºC today!!) and that peculiar taper time haven't-I-done-enough-already CNBA feeling. So although keeping up a decent rhythm and form, the head was not really in it, and it was a bit grim towards the end. Anyway, av. 7:28mm, so reasonable result. Now the focus is going to be on rest and recovery - freshness and how to get it back being the key thing.

Note to self: listen to your bleedin' body, will you?

Fraser and Speedy  - glad to hear you're on the way back!

17/04/2013 at 21:21

Good restraint there Ant.

Know what you mean Lorenzo- I'm cursed with a sitting down job which I think is bad for my hip and back problems. 

Rest day here

17/04/2013 at 21:39

Bike It - Couldn't agree more about the importance of a mattress/bed in decent condition. I had problems with my hips and what was probably pubalgia for months, and I think finally getting to change the mattress for a new one was key in my recovery and/or partly responsible for the injury nagging away at me for so long.

17/04/2013 at 22:06

5K for me tonight along the seafront, very pleasant conditions albeit windy. Easy pace (8:10) and the legs felt great after the sports massage yesterday. If only had know what the problem was with my calf muscles before but hey, better now than having left it. Getting really amped now for Sunday and can't wait! Busy organising travel arrangements from airport to excel and then on to Fulham where I am staying and then from there to Blackheath station and the start.

Nice one Ant, good run and great pace!

Expo done and dusted SBD & Lorenzo, I am envious! Like the photo of your number.

Any predicitions for the winners of the Elite races??

17/04/2013 at 22:16

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/612983/gallery/nikon_pictures_15-4-2013_039.jpg?width=350

Action photo of Liz & I just before the finish of 10k race on Sunday. Doesn't she look happy!

17/04/2013 at 23:03

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/297347/gallery/jellytea1.jpg?width=350

See you all at VLM- this will be the look

17/04/2013 at 23:50
Glad you managed the MP run Joolska, it would be nice to hold that pace on the day.

5 miles with 2 at MP for me tonight and not really that special as I was working too hard and heart rate was a little high for sub 3 pace.
My glute pain seems to have moved up and is now glute and lower back, but it isn't as bad as a few days back so things are improving but still not sure what to do.
I'm going up to the expo tomorrow afternoon as this is my only chance to get up there. I have thought about deferring but I really can't get that motivated about running a low key marathon in a month or so.
My most probable action will be to run it and see how everything feels at tower bridge and sack it if I'm feeling in pain.
Blisters    pirate
18/04/2013 at 00:13

EXCITEMENT

-and I'm not even going to London- it's all for you guys!

What have you gone and caught Jools? If you feel unsafe, you could join me at Stratford the week after London. No kissing though. That's reserved for other wimmin.

Shock news.
I am patenting the Blisters Special Training Plan. Be Marathon ready in 2 weeks, including a taper. This should be funny for the spectators.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.