Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

26,441 to 26,460 of 37,350 messages
20/04/2013 at 15:48

Good luck tomorrow, everyone!  Be strong, start steady and stick to your plan.  Looks like ideal conditions.

My attempts to return to posting regularly on here didn't come to much, did they? Work was all-consuming during Feb/Mar and I missed a lot of training during the key period 3-6 weeks out as a result.

Nevertheless I will be on the start line, injury-free with a 3:15 target.  My only benchmark is a 2:24 at the Finchley 20 which is about 3:10 marathon pace which seems to suggest 3:15 for 26.2 is do-able but with very little wriggle room. I would have settled for that at the start of this campaign so I intend to go for it and bag the GFA for 2 more years.

I'll look out for familiar faces.

20/04/2013 at 16:16

Moof - What a p**ser. It's easy to wonder just how anybody gets to toe the start line illness- and/or injury-free. Very sorry for you.

Jools - Now that is the kind of marathon training I like! Nom, nom etc. Hope it does you good!

Scooby - Yes, get yourself down to the finish área and work up a bit of excitement. Moping in Earl's Court is to be avoided. Your glute will be all right, even if you can feel it. Go on, son!

GE - Best of luck for tomorrow! What's your race number?

Speedy - A win is a win is a win. The record books will back me up on that one, too.

20/04/2013 at 16:21

Ant - Cheers. Shame you're not running this year. I'm 30860.

20/04/2013 at 16:41

GE - Yes, A big part of me (steady...) wishes I was running VLM, but then after two great runs I had two years of "meh" and disappointment, and so decided I needed to step away from it for a year. I was injured for much of last year, anyway, so didn't come into 2013 with the greatest training base. I'm running a low-key marathon locally next week, postponed from 24th March in  case you weren't here when I was gnashing my teeth about that, with the sole aim of going sub-3:15, getting GFA for 2014 and in the process, hopefully running something like level splits.

I tell you what, though: nothing will ever match the raw excitement of those first two years, 2009 and 2010! Flying over specially (in defiance of volcanic ash- and fog-induced cancellations), the expo, that music, the FGFA "VIP" pen, the Cutty Sark under wraps, Tower Bridge, the Embankment, the finish, Chandos, congratulations from strangers on the way home...ooh - everything!

I am looking forward to experiencing it through the computer, though - watching on the BBC while tracking everyone's progress.

Not long now.

20/04/2013 at 16:48

GE - are you on the green start? Sounds like you'll be on the 3:10 train with me and FINgers (assuming we can find each other when the green and blue starts come together)

Scoobs - look forward to the Westminster report

I've still got a slight niggle in my upper leg but as it seems to go away when I run, I'll be there tomorrow. Whether I'll still be in one piece at Chandos is another question.

Highlight of my day so far: buying a new wok. Can anyone beat that for excitement?!

20/04/2013 at 16:55
Cheers Ant, your description of the race makes me feel a whole lot better!
20/04/2013 at 16:58

Er, oh sh*t -sorry!

20/04/2013 at 16:58
Oh and my lawn mower won't work.

What have I done to deserve this, can life get any worse.:'(
20/04/2013 at 18:24

Good luck fellow VLM ers , im 12801 pen 2 blue start with black Oakley shades and blue Ron Hill vest if anybody spots me.

20/04/2013 at 18:38
That's tough Moof but better to put health before running.
I've just been for a quick run around the start area. Finally I'm starting to care a little as this is the first time I've raced not aiming for a PB. Just need to control my competitive urges in the first couple of miles. If I am running with anyone faster than 6.45 pace please feel free to tell me to f*#k off!!!
I'll be back on again before the start but good luck to everyone who won't he online again.
20/04/2013 at 19:16

Oh no Moof, another one bites the dust. It's a bad year for injuries and illnesses it seems. 

Lorenzo, I've not had an email with my parkrun result yet, and I didn't time it myself as I'd run there and just left the garmin running. I reckon just over 21 minutes. 

I've had an entertaining afternoon. I went on a guided walk to Olympic Park, and on the way the cable car from the O2 to ExCel was pointed out. Why did I not know that was there yesterday when I was ExCel??? Anyway, I'm a sucker for cable cars so I went to North Greenwich and took a return journey on it. Perfect day for it. 

20/04/2013 at 19:51

Here you go, Speedy - well done!

20/04/2013 at 20:13
Yes, well done Speedy on the parkrun victory.
20/04/2013 at 21:50

Good luck to all, Hope the day is a good one!!

May see some of you at the green start.

20/04/2013 at 22:11

Lorenzo - I'm on Red FGFA but back in pen 3 so may get held up a bit at the start (think I put 3:30 on my entry form as was injured at the time).  I'm trying to be sensible and resist going for 3:10. The target tomorrow is simply(!) to maintain GFA. Still, I'll keep an eye out for you around where the routes converge in the event I end up going off a bit too quick (stranger things have happened)!

Ant - Ah yes, those were the days!

Right - better think about turning in.

Good luck, everyone.

20/04/2013 at 22:24

Good luck again tomorrow

Took a photo of the only 385 yards to go. Started to get the buzz.

Points Chandos out to the better half as I believe that will be the easiest place for us to meet. Off to bed. Sleep well everyone.

20/04/2013 at 22:28

Gutted for the DNS'ers.  Your day will come.

Good luck to the runners.  Kin Avit.  Without being greedy

20/04/2013 at 22:43
Moof - just read your news. I am gutted for you - so late in the day after smashing your HM pb. Onwards to Abingdon.
20/04/2013 at 23:09

Moof - sorry to hear that.  I'd like to see you put all your strong work to use at  Manchester, MK or Edinburgh?

Very jealous of all VLMers now.  

I'll be as usual getting up at 4am to hit the hills before tracking the splits on the PC and seeing you all on telly.

Enjoy everyone racing tomorrow.

21/04/2013 at 05:33

Well, the big day has arrived! Looks like it's going to be sunny - hopefully not too hot. Good luck to everyone racing and don't forget to enjoy the occasion!
Ant - Great intervals - my 10k is 2 weeks today.
Bike It - good steady MLR.
FINgers - good pep talk from Mrs F.
Blisters - 15MP miles?!!
Speedy - congrats on the victory!
Moof - really sorry to hear your news.
GE - good luck.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.