Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

26,441 to 26,460 of 35,610 messages
19/04/2013 at 06:44

Good luck to everyone at VLM - probably my last visit before Sunday. Hope all those niggles and lurgy are well and truly gone. Now trust in the training!
Just had a very satisfying session practising my 10k pace. 8 x 800m off 200m recoveries - looking for 3:12 or any number of milli-seconds below: 3:11, 3:10, 3:12, 3:11, 3:11, 3:11, 3:11, 3:11 - very happy.

19/04/2013 at 06:57
Just popping in to say the very best of luck to all the VLMers. Of course we all know luck doesn't come into it other than health and weather.

The weather looks like being perfect, 12 or 13 degrees at the warmest with a gentle breeze!!!

Go do it everyone!!!
19/04/2013 at 08:27

OO - there's no number for me as I've withdrawn. Just going to shop. 

Some of you might not be online again until after the race I suppose, so I'll wish you all the very best of luck right now. Don't be shit. 

I'll have a small first aid kit with me at mile 22 - blister plasters, vaseline, pain killers, normal plasters, muscle rub... If you find yourself in need look for the red and yellow balloons of Fetchpoint. I'll be the one that looks like a goth but anyone there will be wiling and able to help each and every runner who needs it. We'll also have jelly babies, jaffa cakes, various drinks.... Anything you might need we'll probably have. 

19/04/2013 at 08:51

A F1 style pit stop for a fresh pair of legs would be nice if you could manage that Speedy

Off to visit the queen myself shortly - All have a good one and dont be shite!

19/04/2013 at 09:10

Best wishes to those lucky enough to be able to make the start line of VLM, remember to give it your best, dig deep when needed. But, especially, remember to enjoy the day and saviour the atmosphere.

Carbloader (and any others) if you are aiming to run to HR then be prepared for the first miles to record silly figures, the anticipation and adrenaline from the start will throw any HR reading way out, it will take a few miles to settle down into "normal" territory. You may have to run to time/pace until then.

Any one doing any other races this weekend?

Hope to do a parkrun on Saturday, anticipated 9:30mm pace accompanying my daughter who doesn't like to run, wants to walk always then does sub 6:00mm pace for the final 200 metres.

19/04/2013 at 09:14

Gul - Excellent session! When is your 10k?

I did 7M this morning incl. 4 x 1000 off 2-min jog recoveries, with the idea of doing the reps @ about 4.10 just to feel the legs turn over a bit. In the end they came out at 4.07, 4:03, 4:01 and 3:56 and in fact felt very easy - I felt I was running well within myself.

I'd been feeling sluggish all week and felt achy all over when I got up, but - and here is the lesson to be learned - as son as I got out there and started running I actually felt quite sprightly. So all you VLMers with doubts starting to creep in as you cram in more pasta and rice cakes, remember that you've done the training, you are in great shape and you will be surprised how well you run on Sunday. Get on, my lovely!!!

19/04/2013 at 10:18
Good luck everyone! Enjoy the race, the weekend and the post race re-hydration!

Currently on the train traveling down, so will be at the Expo this afternoon!
19/04/2013 at 10:28

Gul and Ant grest sessions

I forgot to carb load yesterday afternoon. So great news about rice being really good as I had two of the biggest plates of home made chilli and rice last night.

Currently drinking a bottle of sports drinks.Going for a little 5 mile bimble later and 4 tomorrow. I felt really sluggish and tight yesterday after not running for a few days. So I want to keep the legs turning over.

Good luck to everyone racing at the weekend. Hopefully I will see a few before and after on Sunday.

Remember it is meant to be fun and enjoy it. 

19/04/2013 at 11:00

Scoobs - sluggish at this stage is normal. You'll be fine come Sunday

3 miles for me this morning with a few strides thrown in for good measure.

On Saturday night I'm planning on having my usual pre-marathon meal of pasta with broccoli, anchovies and pine nuts. Yum yum.  

A few years back XPS put this up on the forum and I've kept it as a useful checklist, so hopefully it might help a few people:

Marathon Check list

Travel

inflatable pillow

book

RW magazine

wallet

train ticket

race instructions

food

drinks

umbrella

Expo

Photo ID

registration form

gels to drop off

London A-Z

Overnight

PJ

porridge

toothbrush

toothpaste

Shaver

towel

Blackheath

race no

chip

safety pins

marker pen

vaseline

suncream

loo roll

bin bag

tesco bag to sit on

flapjack

wide mouth drink bottle

gels

pace band

Race

Trainers

socks

vest

shorts

garmin

HR strap

race belt

Finish

Map to Chandos (very important!!)

Face cloth

Fruit

Malt loaf

Flapjack

cash

ibuprofen

19/04/2013 at 11:23

OGL-Thanks yeah i know what you mean im a extremely nervous person anyway lol. I will use a combination of the 2 although i really meant i was going to do my last run on H/R.

I think my H/R on the start line to a H/M i did last month was nearly 100bpm lol, it did settle down pretty quick though.

19/04/2013 at 11:52

Speedy I will look out for the balloons!

Lorenzo very useful lists, thanks.

Remember all we are made up of flesh and blood, and a miracle fiber called courage! Have a fab run everyone and go well! Over and out, GM!

19/04/2013 at 12:07

Why, oh why are Americans so bloody useless at dealing with anything. They always have to go in all guns blazing and it invariably goes wrong!

The most worrying thing is that we are supposed to view them as guardians of world peace!

In they go and make things worse - as if things weren't bad enough!

They never show any sign of remorse or embarassment - they just always point the finger of blame at everyone else!

19/04/2013 at 13:40

Just thought I'd drop in to wish you all the very best on Sunday - sorry I haven't been around too much. Hope you all have a great day and get the times you deserve. Will more than likely make the trip up to Chandos at some point.

19/04/2013 at 13:56

5 miles with some strides. Glute feels better but still there for the strides. Nothing to do now but try and relax.

Getting the train down later and expo aprox lunch time tomorrow. All the hard work is done now, just the fun bit left.

Lorenzo Thanks for the list.  

19/04/2013 at 14:43
Same run for me Scooby and not a very comfortable one.
I'm starting to sound like a stuck record and that nasty word 'deferring' keeps popping into my head.
19/04/2013 at 15:08

I'm getting both excited and a bit jealous about this VLM talk.  I'll be watching on the telly and tracking splits on the PC.  I'm expecting all of you to firmly beat Mo Farah..  So don't be sh**

13miles for me at 7:42 pace this lunchtime.  It felt good

Remember the plasters/tape

19/04/2013 at 15:14

Good luck to all my fellow London Marathon runners! 

I’ve completed my final run this afternoon and I’ll be flying over to London from N. Ireland tomorrow morning. I’m really excited about the race and my confidence is sky high after a perfect training campaign. I’ve over a 1000 miles logged already this year without a niggle or illness in sight.

Now I just have to run to my ability for a sub 3 hour marathon. I already know that I will be running through the finish line just before 1 pm with my arms aloft. Piece of piss. There is no wall. 

19/04/2013 at 15:25

Quick question to the experienced VLM runners. Is there a way of tracking individual runners on tv or can you just track via the VLM website??

19/04/2013 at 15:36

GM: The live tracking service is only available on race day and will be accessible through the home page of the Virgin London Marathon website.  You can track up to 10 runners

19/04/2013 at 15:49

Thank you Bike It!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.