Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

26,641 to 26,660 of 35,765 messages
23/04/2013 at 16:40
Having had a look at it, I can strongly recommend having a butchers at AR's thread. Some great learning and advice in there.
23/04/2013 at 17:46
Agree, very good read. Thanks for posting that AR!

Wardi, why do you think I picked Frankfurt?! Bring on the dancing girls!! Just hope I make the start line this time.... Hopefully I'll see you on the start line.

Loving the reports. Who's next?
23/04/2013 at 17:49

lol Wardi you're right.  I can't believe I found that so hard now! 

23/04/2013 at 18:02
Agreed about AR's thread. The part about enjoying it really struck home. I found P&D heavy going at times and although I like much of the structure I don't think it's for me on a day by day schedule.

Also, been thinking about more cross training and last week incorporated a couple of rides on the TT because my knees felt sore with arthritis. I liked having some variety.

And it ain't done AR any harm Either!!!
TR
23/04/2013 at 18:46

Gul - 2:54:06 (1:27:04, 1:27:02), I guessed I was approx sub 2:55 fit given no build up races and a compromised build up meaning I had done mostly easy running. Without a very brief aborted wee stop at 15M and slowing for cramp twice (at 24M and then just as you hit the Mall) I would have been 2:53 (and chuffed to bits). looking back I could have run a bit quicker first 1/2 (low mileage numpties like me shouldnt be -ve splitting) but my legs (esp hammys) were moaning from 10M and I thought I was staring down the barrel of a DNF at times (I'd even packed the tube fare this time), but the more miles that ticked past the more determined i got to get under 2:55. I dont run enough miles, dont run enough quality stuff, and dont race enough for my legs to be able to keep up with the aerobic engine that I have. But defo another proud day for me. All marathons are hard and you just have to play the hand that you get dealt.
I saved myself no end of mental matches this campaign, by simply keep doing what I was able to (and not worry about not racing, not being able to run fast etc) and not worrying about paces etc until right at the very end of the campaign. You can only control the controllable.

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 18:46
23/04/2013 at 18:51
Brilliant TR. been waiting for your result for two days!

Mr consistency!
23/04/2013 at 19:31

Carbloader 17min pb excellent

FINgers  With what you had to contend with, awesome

TR - Now thats even pacing....

Poacher  - Cracking, well done

Menninia  - Sub 3 Fabulous

Martin

Keir – Always another day! And another race

Scooby, PBs are always good

Badbark

Minni – Well ran for a deserved time

Lorenzo – Good to see you at the end on the finish, well done

Jools – Gutted for you

SBD  Sub 3:15 is sub 3:15, well done

OO – Well done (again)

GE and LB70 – Good 3:15s

Tomas – Great result

Gerard M - as other have said, well done in the circumstances

Think I have got most, sorry if missed anyone or got times confussed,

I still hate stairs....

23/04/2013 at 20:53

Well bagged, TR - and top pacing ! 

23/04/2013 at 21:22
SBD- phew! Great report. You cut it fine but bagged that all important GFA. Well done.

Great effort TR, I was tracking your 5k splits (along with about 15 others) and seemed to have it all under control. That's a decent sub 3 running streak you've got going there.

Will you be giving Abo a go?
23/04/2013 at 21:25

Gret run TR, especially considering your low mileage (can you tell us your avg. mileage please) and lack of build up races.

Read you report AR and very informative. Makes me realise how unplanned and ill disciplined I am. Also interested in your points about cross training which I really should consider. I've done less miles and I'm a fair bit older but your achievement this year tops the bill for me I think. 

TR
23/04/2013 at 22:00

Cheers folks

Moof - I have an Abo number with the aim of it making me run more through the summer,but I also have some target tri's inc a target 1/2IM in Sept, so 50/50 I guess. If I can keep the run commutes up then maybe.

OO - Commute runs Mon, Fri from Christmas in something like a 5/5, 5/10 and a 16 to 18M long run and 5M on a weds lunchtime until the end of Feb. Then 3 commutes/week (Mon, weds, fri). At peak I did 5 or 6 weeks that had a midweek 13 (and 5 home again) in too, the long runs were something like 4 x20, 2 x 22 and 1x23. I also turbo 3 or 4 times a week and swim at lunch 4 or 5 days.- my engine is stronger than my running legs. Thats the ideal week though, I think I averaged somewhere around 45 to 48M mpw up to 2 weeks out when it was all added up due to the odd missed run and the enforced missed runs when I had to stop for a week a couple of times due to knee or calf issues.

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 22:03
23/04/2013 at 22:06
Great time TR. I was wondering how you'd got on.

I've got stiff legs but worse than that I've felt really nauseous since Sunday night. I'm struggling to eat properly and the only thing that seems to help is milk, and lots of it! I've sometimes struggled to eat for a bit after a marathon but nothing like this before. Has anyone else had anything similar?
24/04/2013 at 06:46

SBD - great report and well done on toughing that out to get the sub 3:15.
AR - will definitely catch up with your thread as soon as possible.
TR - amazing split time there! Congrats on yet another cracking time off a far from ideal campaign.
Minni - hope the nausea is easing off - can't imagine not being able to eat!
Easing up on the mileage a bit now (10k is a week on Sunday) and doing a bit of speedwork - 2 x 6 x 300m on Monday and 5 x 1000m today - got a bit carried away this morning: 3:53, 3:52, 3:50, 3:47, 3:34. Nothing faster than 10k pace now, I promise.

24/04/2013 at 06:55
Gul - are you following a plan or making up your own? Either way it looks like you're heading for a great 10k.
24/04/2013 at 07:27
Gul - looking good for the 10K. Any public commitment to a target time?

Back out for my first run since Sunday this morning - a very leisurely 2.2 miles!! Legs are still a bit stiff but unlike Minni, I've not had any trouble eating in the last couple of days. I'm sure I read somewhere that Coco Pops are top notch post-marathon nutrition.
24/04/2013 at 09:07

Looking good with those 1K reps Gul - which 10K are you running?

No problem eating for me either - although I've gone for the red meat rather than Coco Pops!

Interesting use of the ergo AR - I used to row and found the rowing and running didn't really complement each other.

Well done on the run Lorenzo.  I thought I was going to get the DOMS from hell after Sunday but it wasn't too bad Monday and I'm begining to think of a run tonight.

24/04/2013 at 10:53

Thanks everyone again for the positive comments. Looking back on it now I can't quite believe I completed that distance, but I'm stoked I did & didn't give up!

I'm wondering how all the marathoners are feeling now having have some time to think and recover (hopefully)??

I was on my way home from work last night and when I got about 400m into my journey I realised that I forgot my shopping (food and wine)! So I decided it would be a good idea to run there and home. My word I must have looked a picture swaying from side to side. Happy to report that the legs are starting to feel like they belong to their rightful owner again. Resisting the temptation to run at the moment though. The toe nails are still very tender and also got one "joggers nipple" even though I applied twoband aids. Thought I would share that with you all.

Next goal is to get back to some light training by the end of the week and then prepare for the Jersey Half marathon in June. Aiming for a 1:28 - 1:29:59!

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery and look forward to hearing about everyone's future plans.

24/04/2013 at 11:50

SBD Cracking report, very well done indeed. GFA

TR Great report and consistantly consistant splits.

Gul Very impressive reps. Looking very fast

I can now walk down stairs relatively normally although I did lose in a 20 metre race this morning with my daughter. I am thinking about a bimble later this afternoon.

Reflecting back happy with the time, more annoyed with myself for not zipping up the man suit as I know I had left a quickker time out there. I think even on Sunday that was my major disappointment.

Off out for a shoulder physio, which will not be fun as this has been painful since Sunday.

24/04/2013 at 12:37

Nice build up to the 10k coming along Gul.

Minni - hope things are clearing up. I seem to have forgot that I am no longer in carb-loading mode. I am eating like a horse; in fact I probably have eaten a horse.

A nice 5m jog this am in the spring weather followed by a bit of stretching. We seem to have put the lid on winter at last.

24/04/2013 at 14:17

Hi folks had a few days to reflect on my first London marathon after completely draining myself mentaly,emotionaly and physicaly.

Amazing experience,totaly blown away by it which i would love to of ran about 2 hours slower just so i could soak up more of the atmoshere lol. Saw my partner at mile 12 and sprinter over to her to give her a big kiss much to the delight of her and the crowd who all clapped and cheered, what a lift and buzz that was.

Target was sub 3.10, actual time 3.13.49 = No GFA for me as im still 29 years old.

Having run a 1.25 dead H/M last month i thought a sub 3.10 may of been on the cards, although it was untill about 21-22 miles where i ended up doin 8.30 min miles.So it looks like im lacking in the Endurance end of the spectrum?.

Looking forward and putting all things into perspective i was still quite happy with a 17 min pb over Last years Manchester Marathon.This campaign was the first time i had run more than 30 miles per week in the 4 marathons that i have ever run!!!.

I have only been running just over 2 years although i do have a military background and have always been relativly fit through mtb/cycling etc.I think i need to do long runs when im not in mara training as i havent been doing this, maybe why im not converting my half times?.

Chester is the target next and im aiming sub 3, if anyone has any advice please feel free to leave me some advice.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.