Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

26,701 to 26,720 of 38,197 messages
27/04/2013 at 11:39

Rumour is that GFA is changing this year - no one seems to be able to confirm what the change is though. Entering both seems to be the preferred route for many.

27/04/2013 at 12:15

Perhaps a daft question about GFA catagories, but: The current catagories are 18  to 40 and 41 to 59.  Now it's my 40th this summer so when I run Brighton next spring I'll be (sorry if this a bit Adrian Mole) 40 3/4, ie over 40.  Could this bit of numerical pedantry put me in the 3:15 catagory?

Ignoring the fact that it all might change next year anyway.

27/04/2013 at 12:16

I’m just popping in to answer a few questions after my marathon campaign post.

Poacher – I really do believe that going vegan has helped me a lot. I used to have eczema at the side of my nose which has now completed cleared after being plague with it for decades. If giving up milk and eggs can cure problems with the largest organ (skin) of my body then I can only presume it’s helping the others! I certainly feel physically and mentally fantastic and need less sleep than before.

I don’t eat anything special just about 12–15 portions of fruit and veg, 10 different nuts and seeds and about 15 different herbs and spices daily. Most of it bought from Tesco’s or online in bulk. My main aim is to eat as much whole food as possible to supply myself with vitamins and minerals in the way that nature intended.

Keir – My next marathon will start around 3rd of September when all going well my wife will give birth to my first child! Due to this I haven’t got any plans written in stone as yet. Well apart from the Belfast Marathon in 9 days time that I intend to jog. Honest…..

Good luck Ant!

27/04/2013 at 12:20

OO - hope you had a good parkrun. I'll be online at 1 second past midnight on Sunday night...
Lorenzo - that would be great pacing your son to a PB! As for me, I'm feeling fairly confident. I just need to avoid getting drawn into a smackdown with a work colleague.
LB70 - I think you may as well enter the ballot - belt and braces.
Lou - not sure which age it refers to!

27/04/2013 at 13:06

Just watching interview with Johnny Brownlee. He last took a day off running 3 years ago!!!!

good luck to the racers this weekend. Looking forward to more reports. 

2 weeks to my marathon. Just seeing the taper through. All is ok.

Edited: 27/04/2013 at 13:07
27/04/2013 at 13:17
Mennania wrote (see)

Rumour is that GFA is changing this year - no one seems to be able to confirm what the change is though. Entering both seems to be the preferred route for many.

Boston changed but they announced the changes a few years in advance so people could adjust, but then BQ (Boston Qualifying) is much bigger in the uSA than GFA is in the UK.

parkrun this morning (needed an early run and parkrun as as good a reason for an early as any other one and you meet up with a load of parkrun friends so oevrall good fun). Wasn't sure where my legs would be after yesterday's 5k at lunchtime and had managed to somehow divorce myslef from all timing devices (Garmin left in the office and stopwatch in the bedroom and I wasn't going to risk waking Mrs PMJ) so it was run 100% on feel. One guy legged it off from the start and after a few fast starters faded I ended up slotting into second place. I held that until about 2k when a couple of runners came up onto my shoulder. These are people I normally chase round when fresh so I decided to drop behind and get a pull but the odd thing was that the legs didn't want to follow and kept on running ahead (normally the mind says faster and the legs say slower so very odd in reverse). By 3k I had a discernible lead but nothing much, 3 or 4 seconds, which I held all the way to the finish for 2nd overall and a time that must be pretty close to 19:00 and maybe a 18.5x.

Very please with that, much happier than yesterday even though yesterday was much faster, just nice to be able to produce a good run after a track session Wednesday and a race Friday.

27/04/2013 at 13:34

PMJ, another case of a great short burst and podium finish.

Good luck to Ant, KR and Bike it, (& Gul if it is this weekend(?))

8 mile chug for me in the rain today.

MSE, Do they have "the wrong trouser machine over there?"

27/04/2013 at 13:36

NiceBocce going PMJ'S. that's a fair amount of fast stuff in a short period of time. 

Meant to add that it was prior to him getting injured!!!

27/04/2013 at 14:06

Nice to see Jools back - how are you now a week has passed - any decision re another attempt? 

MsE - sorry to hear the injury woe - be assured there is a route back, and you will be back - patience (not that we have much of that sometimes) will be rewarded.

As proof, I successfully notched my first 20 today since pre Boston last year, and the subsequent tribulations. Nice and steady, felt OK- the body does adapt & recover.
Felt good entering the number in my diary! 

Blisters    pirate
27/04/2013 at 14:07

Great result PMJ, show the yoof of today a clean pair of heels.

Serious tapering for me today: I'm sure that means doing cock all but putting up my feet and eating carbs.

Good luck to KR, Bike it, Ant, and that other old chancer who are racing tomorrow. May the wind be at our backs.

27/04/2013 at 14:22

Eeuuughhh - the weather is vile here. It was actually snowing earlier, but that has given way to lashing, icy rain.

27/04/2013 at 14:24

Crikey Ant - you need to return to Blighty!

Edited: 27/04/2013 at 14:25
27/04/2013 at 14:31
SBD. wrote (see)

Quite impressed with the official London Photos but not sure I want to part with all that money

You can hunt on http://spectator-photos.com/loc_uk/thumbnails.php?album=95

e.g.race jase

http://spectator-photos.com/loc_uk/albums/user_ftp/ftp_3/ftp_files/normal_13666B_3_2013LM014.jpg

27/04/2013 at 16:05

You need to get tomorrow done as quick as possible Ant in that sort of weather. Good luck.

Same to you KR. Make sure you leave it all on the course.

Good luck too to Blisters, BikeIt and anyone else racing this weekend.

27/04/2013 at 16:11

Excellent result PMJ. Having a successful race is often more satisfying than a fast one.

Badbark your training sounds tough but doable. I think a few of us will be following some of those sessions in the future. I think your September marathon may be tougher

27/04/2013 at 16:55

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/83537/gallery/p4271034_-_copia.jpg?width=350

Martin - If it gets any worse I'll go sub 2:40 for sure.

PMJ - A nice morning's work. I bet you enjoyed your lunch.

27/04/2013 at 17:59

I've not had a lot of time to read the thread since I'm now back in training, but it's good to see MsE back on the thread. 

Badbark - I'm not vegan but I don't eat milk or eggs during marathon training as I'm intolerant. My eczema is also notably better when I'm not eating those (not to mention my intestines!). 

Another Saturday, another parkrun. This time the new one near me - Forest Rec. I ran there (5 miles exactly) then wanted to run HM pace for the 'race' before running home again. I'm now 4 weeks out from Edinburgh and usually I race a half marathon at this point. Obviously I'm not fit enough to do that off just two weeks training, but I couldn't even manage the pace for 5k. OK, so the course has a massive hill that you have to run up twice, but still, that might an excuse for missing a PB, not for missing HM pace. I got first lady again. 20.24. I really don't think I can get back to marathon PB shape in the time I have left, which realistically is 2 - 2.5 weeks of training then a 10 - 14 day taper. 

27/04/2013 at 19:04

It sounds like a big ask Speedy but you never know- sounds like you have been training hard.

Not sure I'll bother with the ballot. Hopefully 3:05 at 50 will be good enough for any rule change.

Hope your parkrun went well Lorenzo. I also ran with my youngster but she blew up at 2.5 miles claiming a stitch, so my first ever parkrun DNF. I think I was going too fast for her.

Good run Pmj- I love beating the yoof also  

27/04/2013 at 19:07

MsE sorry about the injury but maybe Boston was a good miss.
PMJ - nice run

Manchester mara weather report - I'm in the office 1/2 a mile from the start - currently quite bright, rain has gone, wind has dropped, fairly cool, should be good tomorrow.

------------
Jurek's vegan porridge recipe - looks like sludge but  

Ingredients
1 cup dried quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
1 cup almond milk or your favorite nondairy milk
1 ripe pear, cored, quartered, and finely sliced, or 1 banana, sliced
1/4 cup dried coconut flakes
3 tablespoons Udo's oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or 1 teaspoon light miso
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Garnish: Raisins, apple slices, and chia seeds or your favorite nuts

Directions
Add the quinoa and water to medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the quinoa turns translucent. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and cool for 5 minutes.

Place the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth.

27/04/2013 at 19:38

Poacher - hmm, might stick to steak for the time being!!!

OO50 - still waiting for the official results but I stopped the watch at 21:31 for a 1 minute PB for him. Went off a bit too quickly so slowish mid third, then a 4 min final kilometre as we had a father-son sprint finish in which he narrowly beat me. 

Conversation after crossing the line:

Younger Lorenzito: I hate you Dad

Me: why?

YL: because when I tried to pass you at the end, you sped up.

Me: you didn't think I was just going to let you win did you?

YL: yes

Me: why?!!

Up and Downs Sportive with elder Lorenzito tomorrow monring - 35 mile bike ride with 2,700 ft elevation gain. My first ever sportive and a gentle intro to the longer ones over the summer.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.