Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

26,741 to 26,760 of 37,214 messages
26/04/2013 at 21:18

Welcome Lou Diamonds good luck with the Statford HM. Bag yourself a sub 90, then work on your endurance, avoid injury and you're good to go for Brighton.

26/04/2013 at 21:22

And I no longer receive email notifications.

It's all gone to pot!

I'm off to complain.

26/04/2013 at 21:25

Good luck to BikeIt, KR in addition to the pair mentioned earlier today

nice to see MsE pop up again, and super reporting, Badbark

welcome to akatrigs & Lou D

26/04/2013 at 21:32

Lorenzo - Been running for just over a year now: This will be my third HM.  PB of 1:30:09 from a couple of months ago, but my training leading up to that was disrupted by a calf strain and then patella problem, so I lacked a bit of confidence and set off quite cautiously.  Blasted out the last couple of miles though to try to get under 1:30, but couldn't quite manage it.

Anyway, I've since had a couple of months of solid training so I'm hoping for a decent improvement.  Plan is to go at 6:40 pace then try to pick it up a bit (or not) from 10 miles.

BTW - Good luck to all those running the Manchester this weekend

TR
26/04/2013 at 21:32

Ant - deliberately said  too. Being in the corridor of uncertainty between bricking yourself and self confidence is where you want to be. Its fine to be apprehensive, at times its going to hurt and your body knows it, but you are well prepared and given a sensible pace and some digging deep when the time comes, then pride lasts forever - see you on the other side !

diiging deep reminds me that at about 19M sunday I took my last gel (after 5M, 10M , 15M gels too (MInni) and I carried and sipped a bot of luco from 5M to 10M) and then looked for the kitchen sink, I was still running an even pace but my legs had been hurting since 10M and I needed to find a way home. Some poor young fella happened past running really strongly so I attached my elastic to him and started running side by side with him. Over the next few miles I was telling him how well he was running and how strong he was (he did reply once that there was still a long way to go yet), and that we were smashing it etc etc in a chest beating way, as I was hoping he'd drag me along with him. I cramped a bit at 24M and went into self preservation mode slowing slightly, fair play to him he looked for me but I waved him on. Kind of funny looking back, he must have thought I was crackers !

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 21:41
26/04/2013 at 21:33

Hey MsE!!! Great to hear from you. How are things going? 

Badbark, the phrase "no stone unturned" seems appropriate. Well deserved PB.   PMJ, good to hear that the legs are starting to quicken up.   Rob, that's a good rate of improvement. Are you going for VLM or are you targetting something in the autumn?   Stay cool Ant
26/04/2013 at 21:48
Lorenzo wrote (see)

PMJ - impressive stuff. Is sub 18 the A target for the summer?

yep, sub 18 is an public target. It was good to do the run today as it is run every month for £2 a shot so I will be doing a few more.

moof wrote (see)

Rob Cope-  That's a decent time you are running your 5k, are you planning on running an Autumn marathon and bagging yourself a GFA time then you won't need to bother with all that London ballot nonsense.

Just remember that the way it works is that an autumn marathon this year gets you into VLM 2015 with GFA. To make VLM 2014 you need the time by about end of May:

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 21:49
26/04/2013 at 21:50

TR - I didn't really need my last one and it was probably a bit late anyway but I had it so decided to neck it.     I can't help thinking you had a bit too much chat going on in those latter miles! 

TR
26/04/2013 at 22:00

I had enough puff for a few war cries, VLM isnt a matter of puff for me anyway its more a case of failing legs.

27/04/2013 at 02:38

Badbark that's very impressive. Do you feel that going from veg to vegan made a difference? I'm a novice with vegan stuff but have used some of Scott Jurek's recipes, do you have any sure-fire power packed plant ingredients you swear by? I was tempted by the chia seed stall  at vlm expo but too tight to purchase - have you used chia?

MsE weren't you planning to run Boston?

Welcome akat/LD and good luck racers

MsE
27/04/2013 at 06:26

Poacher - I had to DNS at Boston as I am still benched with this infernal Achilles injury. It's been almost a year (and three DNS at marathons) now and I am so desperate I am booked in to see an acupuncturist, two chiropractors and a podiatrist this week. Life doesn't feel quite as sunny without a daily run so make sure you enjoy your every step folks and don't take it for granted!

This year was probably not the year for partying at Boston sadly. What a catastrophe!

27/04/2013 at 06:35

Thanks moof. I'm hoping to get a place through the club, but to do that I need to apply through the ballot first. If I don't get into London then I'll probably go for Manchester, which is my home city. I'm looking forward to reading the race reports this weekend.

Lorenzo - I work about a mile away from Battersea, so it's quite straight forward for me. I'll find out if there's a place to leave your stuff and let you know.

I've read all your marathon race reports, but I was particularly struck by Badbark's approach. That pretty much describes my philosophy and I'll definitely buy that book. Thanks.

SlokeyJoe - thanks. I remember our coach saying that good marathon runners are good 10k runners, so I'm hoping that my 5k translates to a good 10k race later in the summer, improve my 10 mile times in the autumn and take it from there.

Very best of luck to everyone racing this weekend.

Edited: 27/04/2013 at 06:35
27/04/2013 at 06:37

Birch - hope the 20 miler goes well. Onwards and upwards. I have considered Milton Keynes as a plan B for next year as it's not too far away and a Bank Holiday suits me.
SBD - my 10k PB is 40:59 at the same race last year.
Welcome Lou - good luck at Stratford.
Badbark - fascinating reading. I did short hill sprints last year when I was focussing on 5k, but I may re-introduce them for my next campaign. (Can only really do them during daylight hours anyway).
PMJ - cracking 5k - really starting to come back into form.
MsE - great to hear from you. Do post again! Ah, I see you just have! Sorry to hear you're still on the bench. Sooooo frustrating.
Rob - and an another excellent 5k. Enjoy the speedwork.
Ant - really hope that rain has stopped.
Moof - hope you can get physio for your hip/glute. BTW I've stopped getting email notifications too.
Good luck to KR and BikeIt tomorrow.
Just 4 easy miles this morning to round off the week.

27/04/2013 at 07:03

Nice to hear from you MsE even though your long term injury persists- hope one of those avenues comes good. And welcome newbies to a top thread to improve your game. 

I see the ballot opens Monday for VLM 14. Are we ready, yes we are....

parkrun today- first outing this week then a gentle 10 miler tomorrow if all goes well..

27/04/2013 at 07:05

Poacher - I got a bit over excited at Expo and bought a pack of chia seeds (that's the  kind of crazy dude I am!) as I was chatting to an Aussie girl who was also at the stand (buying, not selling) and she'd heard very good things about the nutritional benefits. Apparently they're very popular with Ultra runners. I haven't done anything with them yet so any suggestions for how to best incorporate them would be gratefully received.

Gul - sounds as though the preparation has gone very well. Feeling confident?

MsE - that's a real bug*er about your Achilles - hope the sessions this week go well.

Rob - cheers for that. Looks like there are plenty of evening races during June and Monday evening is pretty good for me so hope to be able to make it to a few.

Parkrun for me this morning - won't be going balls out for obvious reasons but hoping to pace younger Lorenzito round to a PB. 

Good luck to KR and Bike It tomorrow

27/04/2013 at 08:00

Poacher wrote (see)

I was tempted by the chia seed stall  at vlm expo but too tight to purchase 

+1

27/04/2013 at 10:45

Enjoying reading everyones contribution to this great thread, welcome to the newbies - this is a good place.I snook under 3,00 by a handful of seconds and I am in no doubt the advice and encouragement from this thread over the last  2 years is worth more than that . So thanks to you all

All Manchester (and others) Racers - Weather looks pretty near perfect - have a good day and I am looking forward to you reports

27/04/2013 at 11:14

I'm afraid I've only been semi-lurking over the past few days.  Bimbled 5M this morning to get back into running again.  Hope all is well with everyone.

27/04/2013 at 11:14

Good luck to the weekend racers - Ant, KR and Bike-It.  Don't be tempted to go off too fast ...

Looking good for Sub 40 Gul.

Welcome to the new folk.

Sounds like you have been having a very tough time MsE - it's easy to forget how lucky we are just to be able to run regularly.

Quite impressed with the official London Photos but not sure I want to part with all that money

27/04/2013 at 11:30

After the highs of VLM I quickly picked up a cold, but at least it was after the race not before!

I've really enjoyed reading all the reports and have been massively impressed by all the performances, both from those that smashed their goals and those that just missed out but still touched it out. I know I owe you my race report, so promise to get round to it soon

A quick question for you all as a GFA virgin... The ballot opens on Monday, but GFA details aren't going to be announced until May. So I guess there's a risk that they could change the rules for 2014. Should I therefore enter the ballot and then try to convert this to GFA after details are announced in May?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.