Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

26,801 to 26,820 of 35,744 messages
28/04/2013 at 02:14

Nice pic Minni, must have been my after shave, can't remember what the joke was though? Not vegan, but intrigued by it.

Welcome Literatin, nice time as others have said, get back out there and cash in

Good luck racers

Morning Gul (you must be up by now)

Blisters    pirate
28/04/2013 at 06:56

It feels like I've barely been to bed.

28/04/2013 at 07:08

Good luck to all racers today, im jelous..........oh wait, i had my turn last Sunday 

28/04/2013 at 07:44

Good luck to today's racers

28/04/2013 at 10:09

Good luck to all the racers. Decent weather for most I should imagine!

Looking forward to the reports!

Welcome  Literatin. A mightily impressive opening marathon time there! You'll be in good company with the ladies on this thread.

28/04/2013 at 10:51

Good luck to all the racers today.

Going to have a very long read back.

I started writing my race report on Wed stopped as I went to the physio and was told my shoulder will probably need to be operated on. On the back of last week this seemed to knock me more than it should have. I have sulked for a few days, but now over it and what will be will be.

I have managed 2 runs this week and my legs are starting to feel normal. Going out for 4 miles later.

28/04/2013 at 10:55

Bad news Scoobs - Is it a rotator cuff injury?

28/04/2013 at 11:27

Badbark Brilliant report and details. I have just ordered the book you mentioned.

Menn Great report and mental toughness. I am sure you are enjoying it now

Lorenzo Great report and positive attitude as always.

Menn Frozen shoulder, I think it is only a keyhole op and out of hospital the same day, then lots of physio. Going back to my doctor on Mon to see what he says.

Anyway...

28/04/2013 at 11:41

Stressful few days prior to Sunday had not helped my mind. It was great meeting up with and chatting to Martin prior to starting.

Wished Martin all the best and we were off and over the start line. Upon my fisrt pace check I realised my watch had not started, so I had no idea of my exact time. I was aiming for 4:15km pace which would give approx 2:59:25 (i.e. 1 second a km under required)

I was enjoying the first few km listening to the crowd reaction of Martin behind me. Martin and myself caught up againn after a couple of miles and I did a time check (missed approx 17 seconds). Then he was off again.

The first 5 km felt very comfortable but my HR seemed a bit high. I was hitting pace bang on, auto 1km lap, but the distance was out. So much so, that despite missing 17 seconds my autolap went off exactly as I passed the 5km marker.
0-5k 21:01    4:13

The next 5km was realatively uneventful, I was slightly concerned about my HR, so I think this was already the stage where I decided I would pace on my Garmin rather than actual distance. I took my first gel at 5.5 miles in.
05-10k 21:13    4:15

Approx 7 miles in I felt the pace drop slightly (uphill I think) and I had to push to keep myself close to the required pace. 8 miles in the sub 3 pacer went past me and I focused on them for a while to get me through.
10-15k 21:42    4:21 

I dropped back from the sub 3 at approx 10 miles and I just focused on getting to Tower bridge in reasonable shape, as I knew I would get a boost here. The weather also seemed to be hotter than I thought. I took my second gel at 11 miles.
15-20k  21:31   4:19

Tower Bridge was great and I found myself running at sub 4 km pace, need to wind myself back.
20- Half  04:40  4:16 pace    Through half way in 1:30:07  

Edited: 28/04/2013 at 11:42
TR
28/04/2013 at 11:42

Moof - I agree, check your bike fit, I've never had a proper one - SJ's £65 for a fit is a steal, and £65 well spent. Look on line, there's loads of advice re checking your own postion, but its all a bit ball-park as you need to see how comfy it is and your own suppleness etc affects it. Also you simply have to HTFU with time in the saddle. no idea on the thumb, unless you were changing gear every 100 yards !

what mara is Ant doing please ?

TR
28/04/2013 at 11:44

Minni - that picture needs subtitles for the hard of knowing ? Are you the foxy looking blonde ?

28/04/2013 at 12:00

The stretch from half to 25km was really tough and it seemed it was already a caase of holding it together. I think I missed a few mil markers which didn't help. My quads were starting to tighten at this stage.
Half-25k    17:00   4:22

It was not a case of talking to myself, a lot, less than 10 miles to go. My legs seemed to lack energy and I was concerned about just giving up. The crowds really helped at this stage and I could see I was passing people so  it was a case of focusing on them and trying to catch them. I took my third gel at 16 miles. My garmin was all over the place, showing +5:00 min km, but I kept telling myself it was the buildings.
25-30k  22:18    4:28

I told myself to get to 20 miles then it was a case of holding on and out of the docklands. I got a bit of a boost at 20 miles and aimed for sub 45 in last 10k. I also took my fourth gel at 20 miles.The next 2km were good, passing people and the confidence started to return. However at 8km to go my calves went bad and my entirelegs felt like they had no energy whatsoever.
30-35k  22:45    4:33

I started working out paces for sub 3:15 and GFA at this stage. Again I noticed I was passing lots of people so it can't have been all  bad. JUst in front of me was a guy with his vest off who was really playing the crowds. I focused on getting close enough to him to get some reflective glory and boost. I popped my fifth gel at 22 miles.
35-40k   22:57    4:36

The guy had put his top back on and sprinted into the distance. It was not a point of every partr of my legs hurting and I was counting down 100m. I am annoyed I didn't do a time check here, if for no other reason than to focus/concentrat on something else. I remembered saying to Martin about not remembering any of my running locations. So this last mie or so I kept my head up and took in the crowds, parliment and Buck house. Turned for home and got the usual surge to run the last 200m at sub 4 pace.
40- Finish    09:58   4:33 pace     3:05:05     (Second half 1:34:58)

28/04/2013 at 12:04

Apologies for the late report, but I felt like I needed to get it down.

A lot happier than I was a week ago. Those six seconds still annoy me, but I am a 3:05 marathon runner. I am now stressing VLM change the GFA requirements.

I am planning on focusing on an autumn half. Then maybe Barcelona mara next year, with London as a fun run. Subject to change

28/04/2013 at 13:38

Just checking in from the Maratón de Langreo - job done, GFA bagged with 3:14:27.

But...only after an offcial complaint from me and the majority of the field, as we were sent the wrong way at Km. 2, and did a round kilometre too much!!

Details later.

28/04/2013 at 13:45

Great Job Ant - This forum is becoming an exemplar of squeeky bum pacing! An additional km in a Mara is just not funny at all

28/04/2013 at 13:46

Ant -   but happy, happy, happy.  Well done!!  See you in London next year.

Great report Scoobs.  Sorry to hear about the shoulder.

TR - I'm the one in the middle!

28/04/2013 at 13:47

I'm the one on the left

28/04/2013 at 13:47

Ant Great (and not so great) news

That ust have been very, very stressful once you realised your markers were 1km out

28/04/2013 at 13:54

Well done, Ant, albeit it sounds like things were rather more stressful than they should have been.  I suppose at least it's a 43km pb...

28/04/2013 at 13:55

Nice one Ant, good brinkmanship. Your round in 2014

Commiserations Scooby, forget those few seconds and concentrate on getting mended 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.