Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

26,801 to 26,820 of 37,426 messages
28/04/2013 at 21:50

Well done KR, I saw your post on FB. Very chuffed for you! Looks like a nice T-shirt too. 

Minni - I'm playing it by ear somewhat. I drafted a vague schedule based on another two weeks or so of hard training and 10 - 14 days taper. So far it looks like I need to worry more about speed than endurance though. Will adjust as necessary. No doubt repeatedly!

28/04/2013 at 22:03

Brilliant result KR, and really well-deserved. Looking forward to the report - enjoy the beers.

Frazer - it wasn't that it was badly-measured but that we did a loop of 960-odd metres that we shouldn't have, and in fact didn't on the second lap.

Only the one beer in the bath, and one with dinner (pizza). My legs are pinging and I hope to get a decent night's sleep.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/83537/gallery/dscf8776.jpg?width=350

Note the snow in the background...

28/04/2013 at 22:15

Just got home so quickly to say I ran 8 miles warm-up prior to Manchester, and then ran with another Comrades runner and finished very comforatably in 3:25.  It was the easiest marathon I've ever run.  Huge medal.  34 miles for the day. All is looking good for Comrades in 5 weeks today.

28/04/2013 at 22:20

Nice one Bike it.

Ant - you're a giant! 

no word from Gul? 

28/04/2013 at 22:21

Well done to KR, Blisters and Ant

KR, what sort of mileage did you do this campaign and what do you think helped most to achieve the 6 min PB?

28/04/2013 at 22:23

Marvellous result from KR - really pleased for you!

Glad I accessed the news from Spain at home -  suspect that computer at work wouldn't have allowed such images on the system. Equally shocked by the reaction from the thread chicks to the photos. Seriously tough, looking forward to seeing you in Chandos next year Ant assuming they don't mess around with the GFA too much.

Blisters - you can't be too disappointed with that. 

34 miles for me this morning, but like Moof it was on 2 wheels as I did my first ever sportive: the Wiggle Ups and Downs Sportive. The clue was in the title of the event as to the terrain but it was very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the 100+ mile events  I've entered over the summer. If anyone's into cycling and wants a well organised, well signposted, great value ride I'd really recommend the Wiggle series. A goodie bag on registration, another on completion and a fantastically well stocked feed station en route. I did it with elder Lorenzito and it was the longest bike ride he'd ever done so a real sense oachievement for him as well.

Happy days!!

28/04/2013 at 23:05

Wasn't sure what to expect from today as this time last year I'd had all that help from the RW Paris comp, so this year I was winging it a bit. Training had seemed to have gone well with jus ta week or so lost to a cold. The only thing that was bugging me was my half marathon times. Last year I did 1.26.12 at Wrexham & 1.26.11 at Wilmslow, compared with this year 1.26.37 at Wrexham and 1.25.46 at Belvoir. So not a massive difference. I'd had a few good 20 mile training runs with MP miles at the end. Sometimes I feel this can be a false elusion as the reality of cracking out a few faster miles in these kind of runs, although good training, can give false hope.

Anyway, managed to make the start line albeit with a bit of a reprise of cold (gone round the family back to me!) with 16 weeks of what I felt was good training behind me. March was a good month and averaged 55 - 60 miles per week.

Stayed at my brother's in Crewe so didn't have far to travel (1 hour) to Manchester and booked parking at Old Trafford, so spot on for the race village. It was a good set up there and just a 10 min walk to the start line. Apparently I was in the “A” start area – full of sub 3 aspirants!! And a few sub 3.15 ers. I sandwiched myself near to the sub 3 pacer although I knew I wasn’t going to try and keep up. The main thing I had on my mind was to run my own race and not be dragged along by a predetermined time. Not negative thinking but realistic on my part.

28/04/2013 at 23:06

I kept telling myself to pull the reigns on for the first mile and when I looked at my watch I was doing 6.42 pace and it felt a breeze. So brakes were gently applied and the first mile was 7.10 pace. The first mile went out and doubled back on itself, so we went past all the runners behind us. I saw BikeIt in his union jack vest at the last moment and shouted out his forum name like a loony, but he didn’t hear me. The crowd support was brilliant in the first few miles and this helped detract from working out how far I’d gone etc, just looking at my watch on the mile splits/buzz. By now the early madness had calmed down and we were in pockets of runners running at the same pace. Again this helped as solo running can be tough when the field is spread out. The course was a mixture of the outskirts of Manchester and venturing out to Altrincham and back. 10k went fairly quickly in about 44 minutes – now just the matter of another 20 miles! I was conscious of maybe going off a bit quicker than I’d planned, but felt good, so went with the flow. I’d taken a couple of gels at just over 5 & 10 miles, so I thought I’d have a caffine gel at 15 to see what happened. I couldn’t believe the difference. I hadn’t caffine depleted completely before the race, but could certainly feel a difference. I had a  bit more of a surge which resulted in a 6.55 mile at 17 miles and knew another caffine gel later would help. One of the good spots of the race was around Altrincham. There was great support and the route doubled backed itself. Heading into the town we saw the race leader (2.20.19) powering along followed by his rivals. When we got to the same positon, we were going past some of the slower runner heading into the town. This was good as it was an opportunity to shout on support and I was trying to look out for BikeIt again. This helped pass a few more miles.

I got to 20 miles and still felt good, by now there were a few walkers and other slowing down. I was feeling strong and had managed to keep a consistent low 7 min mile pace. A bit of tough few miles followed as we were on rural roads with not much support. This changed as we got back into Manchester and the end was insight. I took another caffine gel at 21 miles hoping for a boost for the finish. Miles 24 & 25 were tough and I slowed a bit to 7.12/7.13 pace and really felt my calves tightening up. I genuinely thought I’d get cramp at any moment. The last mile seemed to go on forrrrrreeeeevvvvvveeeeeerrr! So a PB of just over 6 minutes of 3.04.37 and well happy. Sub 3 is looking more achievable next time.

28/04/2013 at 23:14

Mile splits from today:

1, 7.10
2, 7.01
3, 7.06
4, 7.06
5, 7.02
6, 7.07
7, 7.08
8, 7.10
9, 7.05
10, 7.12
11, 7.10
12, 7.12
13, 7.05
14, 6.58
15, 7.03
16, 7.04
17, 6.55
18, 7.04
19, 7.02
20, 7.05
21, 7.04
22, 7.07
23, 7.04
24, 7.13
25, 7.12
26, 7.05
final 0.2 4.59?

Average pace was 7.05 and looks like it was pretty bang on!

28/04/2013 at 23:22

Great run KR for a 6min pb, and sounds like great prep from Bike-it for comrades. Then there is Blisters doing marathons in his sleep. 

At ease now and enjoy yourselves Ant style If you must.

Edited: 28/04/2013 at 23:23
29/04/2013 at 03:45

Headline news for you lightweights who actually go to bed is that London GFA times have changed. Slightly harder for men under 40, slightly easier for men over 50 (there may be other changes, not sure).  This will partly redress the ageism of the ridiculous M40-59 category and make things a little more balanced between genders, but (IMHO) there's still a bias towards the ladies and towards younger people of both genders. But basically hats off to whoever decided to make things a little fairer.Details on VLM website, the ballot opened at 0000.

Other than that...

KR - super PB and report, many congratulations, and really well paced.

Blisters - an old pro knocks out a good one without training, that's quite cool

BI - if that was relaxed, it bodes well for the proper race, nice one

Speedy and DS2,  your turn next

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 03:48
29/04/2013 at 04:01
Keir wrote (see)

"It has been happening for a while now, (possibly Poachers sub 3 was the tipping point?) but there has been a noticable improvement in marathon speed from the thread regulars."

I believe the honour rightly belongs to Efe-Col whose sub3 at 50 last year really inspired me a few weeks later. But agreed, thread is faster than ever with most aspiring to just above or below 3h rather than 3.15. I hope that doesnt put off the genuine sub 3.15 aspirant.  3.15 is still a landmark target (although Minni seems more excited thesedays by Ultra-Ant's bubbles than by running)

Ant if you could post a pic of yourself in a bath of beetroot juice that would really get the hormones dripping 

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 04:04
29/04/2013 at 06:05

Cheers Poacher - just to summarise the GFA from the website:

Women

18-40: sub 3:45
41-49: sub 3:50
50-59: sub 4:00

Men

18-40: sub 3:05
41-49: sub 3:15
50-59: sub 3:20

Details of application process on website at end of May

Now, just need to put Mrs L's name in the ballot and pop out for a quick run. 

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 06:10
29/04/2013 at 06:44

Busy weekend on here!
PMJ - excellent parkrun at the end of a speedy week.
Windy - nice running in the rain - are you still down under?
Birch - must be a great feeling - well done.
Speedy - well done on the parkrun win. Hope the fitness is still there for the marathon. Nice LSR.
OO - slow down!
Lorenzo - surely beating you fair and square would be more satisfying that you letting him win?! Does Mrs L know you're entering her in the ballot?!
Welcome to literatin - sounds like you have lots of ability.
Minni/Frazer - hope the 10k wasn't yesterday 'cos if so I missed it!  Next Sunday is race day.
Poacher - na, didn't get up till 5am yesterday.
SD - great report. Glad you're feeling a bit happier now.
Ant - great result! Sorry to hear about the detour.
AR - sounds like a nightmare on the dreadmill.
Blisters - well done on the marathon with virtually no training!
KR - congrats on the new PB! Great performance.
Moof - good hilly bike ride. We had a family bike ride on Saturday with my daughters taking turns on the back of a hired tandem - even did a few Norfolk "hills". Great fun!
Bike It - you make that marathon sound like a doddle - looking very promising.
6 miles for me this morning with 4 x 400m at race pace. Realised in the middle of the run that I had forgotten to enter the VLM ballot - sorted that out when I got home.

29/04/2013 at 06:51

oops sorry Gul - I thought it was yesterday! 

Poacher/keir you're right the thread has got faster. It's taken me years the hot the target and now you've all moved the goal posts!  The sub 3:30 is the same though with most heading for, or already at 3:15. One of our guys ran 3:08 yesterday. 

KR - AMAZING splits! 

29/04/2013 at 06:52

Gul - yup, told her this time!!! Hope to see you there next year. 

KR - great pacing BTW. Sounds as though the plan was perfectly executed. 

29/04/2013 at 07:22

Is that the new qualification rules Lorenzo or the current ones. Looks like they made a concession for us oldies

29/04/2013 at 07:55

OO50 - if I'm reading the website correctly, those are the qualification rules for 2014. 

29/04/2013 at 09:36

KR - Congratulations - brilliant pacing, and a nice report.

I've entered the VLM ballot just in case all this a*sing about deprives me of a GFA spot.

Lorenzo - Good effort on the bike. My twin brother did that yersterday, as well - he did the 100-mile ride in 6:30, I think. I don't know if he's posted any pictures of himself celebrating in the bath or not.

29/04/2013 at 09:38
Minni wrote (see)

Ant - you're a giant! 

But surely...the bubbles...oh - you mean the race photo!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.