Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,001 to 27,020 of 37,390 messages
05/05/2013 at 15:28

I'll check that out on the laptop later, thanks Lit! For some reason maps don't work on my PC. We should really get together for some runs, it would be good to have some company for a change.

05/05/2013 at 15:34

Wollaton / Bramcote / Attenborough / Beeston - that was near my home, growing up (the very dull Chilwell). Who is for the Robin Hood half this year - is it a fast course as they claim?

Well done Gull on a pb performance. Sub 40 is coming.

Edited: 05/05/2013 at 15:34
05/05/2013 at 16:07

Well done on the pb, Gul.

Bristol 10k for me, after 2 weeks of not much running and a bit too much drinking...  And that followed 2 weeks of not much running due to being lurgified...  All in all I was pretty relieved to settle for 39.39 i.e. 6 seconds faster than my Bath half 10k split.  Hopefully the speed will start to come back over the next few weeks as I regain fitness.  But actually had quite a lot of fun as I ran a negative split (only just under 20 mins at 5k) so did a lot of overtaking in the second half and after all the stress pre-London it was nice just to run for fun and then have a very pleasant lunch with friends afterwards.

05/05/2013 at 16:59

Speedy, yes, we definitely should. Also, did you study French at Nottingham? (small world, etc.). & will you be at Holme Pierrepont on Wednesday?

Also-ran: me, I've entered Robin Hood! I'd agree that it's a fast course as they've got rid of all the hills in the new route, but there is quite a boring bit through the Boots estate instead of the pretty uphill bit there used to be through Wollaton Park. There's also a soul-destroying out and back last section along the Embankment, though I might just be biased against it because I thought I was going to vomit at the time. It was my first sub-1:30 half though.

05/05/2013 at 17:20

Nice one Jools, how are the lungs now? 

Lit - I did my MA at Nottingham, which was based in the French dept, but I did my undergrad course at Sheffield. And yes, I will be at Holme Pierrepont on Wednesday. Not only do I have no speed currently, but also I'll be shattered from peak week training. Due to the summer league race being on Wed I'm moving my MLR to tomorrow, and doing it as a 13.5mile 'challenge' trail race with a warm up and cool down. That could be interesting after today's long effort. I won't 'race' it of course! Must try to save something for Wednesday's race.

AR - I've entered Robin Hood but only really as back up in case I get ill for the GNR again. I'm so bliddy paranoid now I've missed two major races due to lurgies!

05/05/2013 at 17:29

Speedy, I spent 10 years as a student in the French dept. so we probably overlapped. I am 99% sure I know which one you are so will say hello on Weds. I'm not convinced I have any speed at the moment either as I'm just easing myself back into running post-marathon, plus am a bit crap over short distances, but will have a good go at beating all my clubmates at least.

05/05/2013 at 18:07

I had an embarrasing work moment at the Boots estate. After living away from the area for several years  I had to go to Boots to deliver a  presentation. Moments before starting a woman in the front said "I used to babysit you. I hope your going to be better behaved". my face was Beetroot red for the rest of the day.

05/05/2013 at 18:10

Sounds like a good day out Jools, definitely lots to build on.

Good parkrunning menna. I must give that a go over the summer having only the one run under my belt.

05/05/2013 at 19:15

Finally had the chance for a big read back after a very busy couple of day.  Mrs H booked us both in for a Thai massage (more like physical violence on my back and legs!!), listening to Leicester City clinch a last minute play-off place and then being at Welford Road to see Leicester Tigers clinch their home semi.  Then out for a few beers before watching Iron Man3.  Today has mainly been planting the veggies for the summer.Finally sat down with a couple of beers!!!

FINgers - Excellent VLM report.  Amazed you remember it so vividly but glad you did as very emotive.  Excellent PB and by the sounds of your report things to learn for next time.

Sounds as though things are coming back together Speedy. Excellent couple of runs. You may not hit sub-3 this time but a PB is still very much possible.

AR - All the best for tomorrow.  Will be very interested to see what you learn from MK after such a strong VLM.

Well done on the parkrun PBs Lorenzo and Mennania.

Excellent PB Gul but unlucky on the sub-40.  Take heart with the PB.

Jools - Sounds like a positive run considering your recent lurgy!!

Just an easy 6 miler this morning down by the canal and over the fields.  Going to do my first post-VLM speedwork tomorrow to see where I am ahead of next Sunday's 10k.

05/05/2013 at 19:16

But were you better behaved AR

Lit - I was there 2001 - 2002.

05/05/2013 at 19:20

Ah, that was my year abroad.

Martin: cheers! (I have a g&t).

05/05/2013 at 19:45

Well done Gul, and close enough to know that you will shave those few seconds off next time!

Another run bagged today - 42.5mins in my new Wave Inpires. Very comfy!

Lit, I only have a cup of tea 

05/05/2013 at 20:44

I have some High 5 Zero, but might venture to have a coffee. Rock n roll. 

05/05/2013 at 20:49

Really pleased you got a new PB Gul. You may be disappointed at not dipping under 40 minutes, but it shows you are hungry for it. Great result.

Nice 10k results Jools.

Speedy Parkrun Mennania, I don't think sub 18 is far away.

05/05/2013 at 21:09

Well done on the PB, Gul, Menna with parkrun, and Jools on being back into race action. . .

up at Gul o'clock tomorrow to drive pal to MK - looks like a good forecast for supporting  . . . .

Edited: 05/05/2013 at 21:10
06/05/2013 at 06:27

SD - very nice progressive 10k.
GM - this year I took the decision to do most of my speedwork at 10k pace, maybe need to do some more shorter faster stuff too. As you'll see from my report to follow, pacing is definitely an issue for me too. Good 10k.
Speedy - nice time on feet run.
Jools - good sub 40 with negative split too.
Mennania - forgot to say yesterday - fab parkrun.
Easy 6 miles this morning mulling over yesterday's race.

06/05/2013 at 06:44

This is just a flying visit to say I'm soon heading out to run the Belfast Marathon which will be my 10th full marathon. 

It’s only 15 days since London and I’m not fully recovered, so intend to take it easy and enjoy the day. However, in saying that once I line up at the start my competitive juices may start flowing! 

06/05/2013 at 07:03

GEAR 2013 10k

Jogged into town and ran a bit of the course for a warm-up, followed by some strides up and down the high street (seemed to pass Mr Blobby several times). Time for a few stretches and then found a bench to lay down for 10 mins before making my way to the pens. Met a work colleague in what I thought was the sub 40 pen, but as they called us up to the line I realised I was the wrong side of the divider with the sub 38 guys. I spotted my family a hundred yards down from the start and some waving ensued. Feeling great at this point and then we were off.
Even at the front the course was quite busy and a bit of jostling for positions went on and continued for several kms in fact.

1st km marker appeared a bit in advance of where I marked it out myself, so ignored the official one and took the split at my point. 3:49. I'm thinking that if the official marker was correct, I've just run 3:3x when I should be looking for 3:49/4:00. Told myself not to panic.

The next km goes back up to the market place where we started. Still dodging heels. 3:53. Still feeling very relaxed, so maybe I'm just going to smash 40 mins. Ha ha.

A few people cheered me on as we headed up towards the river and past the 1.2 mile fun runners. Steeling myself for the massive incline 3rd km done in 4:00.

Tackled the 2m rise up to the river bank with no problems. The next km is quite exposed but it's not too windy. Still I tried to tuck in behind a guy, who appears to be called Lester going by the encouraging shouts he is getting. 4:01.

By now it's starting to feel very hot - no shade whatsoever. I overhear a couple of guys discussing this and tell them it's a couple of kms before we hit the park and run under the shade of the trees for a bit. Still following Lester. 5k 4:10. Slowing down, but still on target over all.

Water bottles are being handed out here and most of it goes over my head to try and cool me down. I passed Lester and give him a few words of encouragement, he responds and we continue together into the park. Next km. 4:05. Just need to find a little bit extra to stop it slipping away.

Lots of people in the park, but not enough of a lift to keep me on track. 4:11. Give myself a good talking to.

We're now back in the town centre. Back through the market place and more water over my head and I manage to pull a 3:59 out of the bag. Need to do the same again and then find a good finish.

We hit 9k and I'm gutted to see 4:19. Time for one final push before it turns into a disaster. By the time we hit the final straight I know sub 40 has gone, but end with a decent effort. Remember my wife's advice not to be staring at my watch, pressing stop, so hit the button a couple of seconds later. 4:01. Forgot to take this off my first report of 40:32. I turn round to shake Lester's hand and thank him for pulling me round. He's from a Leicester running club. D'oh! And his name is actually Craig.

Unofficial results were posted yesterday. 101st in 4:30. So a 29 sec PB. (And presumably 3:59 for the last 1k). All the family were sunburnt and the car reported 22C, so that wasn't ideal. I really need to nail the pacing though. Probably lack of running and racing with others is an issue I need to deal with - not used to dodging and being cut up. Training for Peterborough HM started today...

06/05/2013 at 08:30
Gul Darr wrote (see)

Unofficial results were posted yesterday. 101st in 4:30. So a 29 sec PB. (And presumably 3:59 for the last 1k).

101st in 4:30?  Is that the time you started the race at Gul o'clock?  Some early risers if you were only 101st at that hour of the day?

06/05/2013 at 10:38

Great run there Gul. Sometimes it is nice to come close to a target as it gives confidence that you can smash it next time out. You mentioned the hills but what were the roads like underfoot, some of those roads round the marketplace are cobbles, did they avoid the cobbled sections?

Watched #1 daughter race at BUCS yesterday, 200m and 4x100m and she is through to the final of the 4x100m so happy as larry but that will be three days racing in a row (100m on Saturday, 2 races yesterday, another today) so the physio is working full time to get her into shape. She has her uni finals on Tuesday as well ...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.