Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,001 to 27,020 of 37,212 messages
03/05/2013 at 18:16

Fin - Really enjoyed the report, particularly the mile be mile breakdown.

03/05/2013 at 20:10

FIn Great report. Really interesting on how the mind was working during each mile.

10k tonight in 19 degrees and a surprisingly comfortable 7:30 mm pace.  

ssc
03/05/2013 at 20:38

As always, really enjoying the reports, some amazing running. Following my fourth and most recent marathon which saw me pb but really struggle I am keen to train more effectively and have bought the P&D book on the back of advice on this forum.  A quick question re: the 55 mile training plans

The plan only includes two runs over 20 miles. I've read that your five longest should add up to 100. What are people's views as I want to follow a plan with full confidence and find contradictory advice somewhat off putting?

03/05/2013 at 20:45

FINgers - Great report on a fantastic day fro you, all the more amazing after the baby/move combo. But, having stalked your VLM potos, I have to ask - what's going on with the black socks??

I think my recovery is going pretty well, and I got on the spinning bike this morning and did 20 easy-ish minutes. I've done a fair bit of walking this week, too. I may go out and run 4 miles tomorrow if I feel like it. In fact, I noticed today I was itching to get the trainers on and get out there...

03/05/2013 at 20:47

I think most of us on here did more than 2*20 SSC. I did a 21 mile race, a 23 miler * 2*20  and 2*19.

03/05/2013 at 21:02

Fingers - great report! I can never remember mile for mile. 

Ssc - I followed P&d up to 55 in 2011. I did 3 x 20m plus a few 18s and ran 3:28.  In 2012  I did about the same mileage but ran 9 x 20m or more and finished in 3:20.  Later in 2012, off a similar mileage, I ran 2 x 20m and finished in 3:25. Then in 2013 I ran a slightly higher mileage plus 9 x 20 or more miles and finished in 3:15. 

03/05/2013 at 21:06

I stalked some VLM photos and there is someone on here that looked so happy  coming down the Mall. Huge smiles and looking very relaxed. Anyone guess who it is....? 

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 21:07
03/05/2013 at 22:22

Well it sure as hell wasn't me 

Great report FINgers. How do you remember so much detail?

Not much time to contribute at the mo - I'm in peak week. Again. Tonight was 12 with the middle 10 at revised MP of 7 min miling. Not 'easy' as I live in a hilly place and there's a fair wind, but I gather Edinburgh is kinda windy so all good practice. Each mile squeaked in under 7 so I'm pleased with that. I have endurance, I can maintain MP for 10 miles. Perhaps I shouldn't worry about the fact that I can't go much faster. 

03/05/2013 at 22:53

That's a storming session Speedy - see how that fitness is coming right back?

Why do I never get emails notifying me of new posts any more? Oh, and the Spanish spell-check by default is really irritating too.

03/05/2013 at 22:59

Great report FINgers - makes it all come flooding back. No idea how you remembered all that - were you taking notes or something!!

Wow Speedy - you might surprise yourself come race day.

Brisk 30 mins on the bike for me this morning - hope the weather's good for a parkrun tomorrow.

03/05/2013 at 23:31

Lorenzo - I went and asked some of my fans who were out on the course... I'm sur you heard their cheers?! 

Ant - lol re the black socks! They didn't make it into the report but they frustrated the hell out me - they are a pair of long compression socks that fell down in the first mile!

thanks for the comments - I think that I'm going to have to go and do a bit of photo stalking now too!

03/05/2013 at 23:41

Speedy - dont know if you've done Edinburgh before, perhaps not but my one piece of advice would be to really hold back atagged start - way more than usual - the first 6 miles are really quick down to the coast and very easy to get carried away on - believe me I've made that that mistake!

03/05/2013 at 23:45

Currently sitting in a power cut with our 2 dogs who are afraid of the dark so time on my hands to google races. 

I'm feeling a little list currently now that VLM is out the way - nothing more in the calendar till the GSR in October ssk need some ideas for raves - what's everyone up to this summer?

03/05/2013 at 23:54

Brilliant report FINgers!! Love the mile by mile account of the race. Seemed you ran it really well, but as you say maybe the long runs might have helped you at the end, or was it the fact you just moved house and had a newborn baby (congratulations BTW). The mile splits look quite consistent and I think you didn't leave anything on the course, at the end of the day it was a 5 minute PB.

Great Friday night run Speedy - it's still there!!! As FINgers says watch that first part, although I've not run it I've seen the profile!

Managed another run tonight - 5 miles at 7.50 pace which felt about right in distance & pace.

Best of luck to Gul for his 10k race this weekend, fingers crossed you AVIIIT! and get the time you deserve from the all great training you have put in.

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 23:55
Blisters    pirate
04/05/2013 at 00:09

FINgers, at last a decent report with mile by mile splits, heart rates and emotions! Yeah, I felt every mile and am happily grinning from every twist and turn and their asociated memories. It looks like I'll have to get a GFA soon.

BTW, if anyone is anal enough to critique my own stats for my appalling showing at Stratty, Jan 85 miles, Feb 77, March 65, April 106.
20 milers: Jan= 1, Feb=1, er, April= 1 (race).
I'd like to say that the gaps were filled with biking but I'd be lying. Some 50 milers, but nowt special. Do you know, that I actually enjoyed the marathon distance?

Training today: 6.6 miles run before breakfast, 23 miles biked prior to tea.

04/05/2013 at 05:11

Blisters - that looks like top tapering Jan to March. Like reading a Textbook 

Trouble sleeping tonight. It must be the prospect of a run around Milton Keynes on Monday.  Great report FINgers - can't say it helped with the sleeping as it brought the excitment of VLM right back.

Good luck to Gul this weekend, and anyone else who is racing

04/05/2013 at 06:24

Very best of luck, Gul - hope you smash it, in a positive way.

I'm off out for my first post-marathon run, just a 3-4 pootle to test the water. I'm surprisingly full of motivation and determined to cash in on this fitness, and carry it through the summer to actually do some decent races in the Autumn. I really hope I don't just regress to doing not very much, put on weight and then have to do the annual comeback thing again. It would help to stay injury-free, too, in fairness...

04/05/2013 at 08:13
Also-ran wrote (see)

Trouble sleeping tonight. It must be the prospect of a run around Milton Keynes on Monday.  Great report FINgers - can't say it helped with the sleeping as it brought the excitment of VLM right back.

What is the plan with regard to MK? You had a great VLM, what extra does MK bring? I guess you know your body can do successive marathons, is there a ultra runner there trying to escape?

Good luck Gul, weather sounds to be good, mind that steep hill near the 5k mark.

04/05/2013 at 08:51

Thanks for the comments folks, but don't forget that prior to lurgy I was running MP at 6.44 min miling. I couldn't manage that for more than 5 miles right now. However, 7 min miling would still secure a PB, so all is not necessarily lost. Thanks also FINgers for the tip. I looked at the profile and it really does drop in the early miles, but is it more pronounced than London? The numbers mean nothing to my poor artsy brain. 

I'm looking forward to more race reports this weekend. They really help to get me inspired for mine. It's difficult getting back into it and the enthusiasm isn't quite there, especially when I struggle with the faster stuff. 

04/05/2013 at 09:09

Hi PMJ, I am in the Marathon Laboratory. MK is a chance to investigate a bit more about this running lark. It's given me a chance to hone my recovery routine between two races and try out some different things in a zero risk race. I will be doing minimal carb loading and race nutrition will be messed with. I'll try and run it as hard as I feel able to on the day, although Monday is looking like a hot one. I've not really thought about what I want to get out the race itself - surely getting to see Milton Keynes in its glory is enough 

And the big question? No beetroo in this experiment

No plans on doing a 20m before Monday, so the ultrarunner tag won't be earned this week.

Edited: 04/05/2013 at 09:10
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.