Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,021 to 27,040 of 37,409 messages
06/05/2013 at 12:53

Jools nice 10k, especially considering the build up

Gul Great report, I think racing more will help with the pacing etc.

PMJ Very proud indeed.

Blisters    pirate
06/05/2013 at 14:27

Nice 10k PB Gul. Race another 10k next week and it will be even faster. I promise.

06/05/2013 at 14:52

Great report Gul! 

I suppose I'd better write one myself, since this morning's run was technically a race. Woodhouse Eaves May Day Challenge 13.5 miles. I only entered because some club mates were doing it and I needed an MLR today anyway. I figured it would make a nice change to run through some different countryside. Last year's results were on the  entry homepage and 1st lady was 1.47, so I assumed it must be very, very, hilly. I had no intention of racing it as I have a league race on Wednesday night and I've run 44 miles in the previous 3 days, but I know there's always a chance of placing in these smaller races (although there were actually 451 entries apparently, so not as small as I imagined).

I set off with my clubmate and we were having a nice chat, but then there was a rather long hill and I lost him. He's not great on uphills. I assumed he'd catch me on a descent at some point. Just off the top of the hill and a marshall informed me I was 3rd lady. Oh dear. Race head!!!! Only 2 miles in and I'm plotting how to catch the crop top ahead of me. Actually I caught her really easily on a downhill section. 

The terrain was tricky in places and if you found yourself alone you could easily miss a turning as most weren't marshalled at all. Also the walkers had set out earlier in the day and were blocking the path to varying degrees from 5 miles to 12 miles. 

After 6 miles my stomach started to do horrible things. Luckily there was a loo in a large park and I ducked into it, but when I emerged the crop top had gone past again. I toyed with chasing her down but decided against it. I wasn't supposed to be racing after all, just keep the pace easy and enjoy the scenery. 

Somewhere around 11 miles I realised that group of runners, including crop top, were running back towards me. They'd missed the turn and run maybe 50m beyond it. I was ahead of her again. Oh fortuitous loo stop! I figured she'd be right behind me, but I turned around to close a gate behind me and there was no sign of her. So I just cruised on to the finish. Second lady in 1.38.xx. Faster than I planned, especially given the hills, stiles, gates and rutted ground, but entirely comfortable (OK, not the steepest hill). My trophy is a goblet carved from a single piece of wood. Never had one of those before! 

06/05/2013 at 16:44

Back from Milton Keynes which turned out to be a day of mixed fortunes. Myself and another guy ended up running an extended course as the marshall on a bike lead us off piste for a few minutes. Never been so angry whilst running shouting expletives. It then got worse as he lost confidence which was followed by "which ffing way" shouts from the both of us. We joined back with a mass of runners, and then worked to pull away again.

Report to follow. 2:52:49 was the chip time for 7th. More than happy with the time, enjoyed the second half once I'd cooled down (and I'm normally a mild mannered janitor, just like Hong Kong Phooey).

Off to write a letter of complaint.

06/05/2013 at 16:47

Nice run and report Speedy. Edinburgh sounds like a much better option than Milton Keynes as a fast course. I will try and describe the course later - it's not in my definition of a pb course

06/05/2013 at 17:04

2 race reports from today, 2 reports of missed turns / poor marshalling (not good), 2 Top 10 finishes from forumites (very good news). Big well done to Speedy for making sure she didn't put her race head on for at least 2 miles. Any chance of a picture of the trophy?

Congrats to Gul as well for yesterday's big PB as well as an entertaining race report!! Next race?

Well done also to Miss PMJ.

Lovely warm day today - perfect for a bike ride so a 15 mile ride with the rest of the family to which I tagged on a 10 mile each way top and tail to get to and from the meeting point.

06/05/2013 at 17:15

Great run AR- isn't MK boring!

Congrats Gul on the PB, Jools on the comeback and Speedy on the podium.

Kewick y/day was a mixed fortunes day. Managed 18th and 2nd V50 but 3 minutes down on last years time with 1:26:54 on the hiily course.And no prizes for 2nd. Still, a lovely family weekend in the lakes. 

06/05/2013 at 17:31

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/21086_10151394336857097_1239839378_n.jpg

06/05/2013 at 18:10

Well done, Speedy.

Also-Ran: nice result, but horrified at the mix-up.  That's really shoddy organisation...  Don't blame you at all for feeling extremely angry.

6M recovery run for me this morning and then a nice day spent pottering around in the Brecon Beacons.

06/05/2013 at 19:59

Nice wood Speedy, congratulations on 2nd lady.

Well done on your PB Gul, gutted  for you that you didn't manage sub 40 (just) but its on the cards for next time.

Also ran- that's a pi$$er running a longer course especially on a marathon, I hope you gave the marshal plenty of stick. But it's still a fantastic time even though you were led the wrong way.

Glad to see you're putting in a decent 10k time Jools.

Nice and hot today and no exercise for me apart from taking moof junior swimming. I was pretty envious not being able to race/ run  but a few beers sitting in the back garden soaking up some rays soon sorted that one out.

I may chance a short run tomorrow, against fizz orders, even though I spent a small fortune on bike clothing yesterday. That is not a cheap sport to get in to.

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 20:04
06/05/2013 at 21:16

Speedy Very well done on non racing. Nice trophy

AR That is yet another amazing performance, shame it can't be said for the marshalls

I bought a foam roller and a pair of running shorts today. All very exciting. It is currently raining in Monaco.

06/05/2013 at 22:54

Well done to Speedy, OO and AR on quality efforts

It's a slippery slope Moof!

Hard bike and swim interspersed with a gentle run in the sunshine. Marvellous.

06/05/2013 at 23:01

Quality trophy speedy. I think we had to make those on the lathe in woodwork class!

06/05/2013 at 23:40

Briliant time & performance AR. Shame about the course mix up, it's the last thing you need!

Nice trophy Spedy

07/05/2013 at 01:20
Scooby Dudek wrote (see)

I bought a foam roller and a pair of running shorts today.

How big are the pockets Scoob?  Could you fit Speedy's 'wood' in there?

Nice controlled (if not for the belly) podium effort Speedy.
& an equally deserved V50 podium for OO.

So AR, if you hadn't gone off course, could you have racked up another sub 2'50 in less than 2 weeks?  I'm sure you deserve some decent R&R time after those outings.

07/05/2013 at 06:20

Windy - I knew I should have got up earlier.
PMJ - yes, no cobbles en route - concrete and tarmac all the way. Well done to your daughter. How did she get on in the final? And good luck for her today!
Speedy - congratulations. Very nice trophy.
AR - I'm not surprised you were angry - any idea how much time that cost you? Incredible performance again. I'll cross MK off my mara alternatives list! My next planned race is the Peterborough HM (Great Eastern Run) in October.
OO - congrats on the podium finish.
Another 7 easy miles clocked up this morning.

07/05/2013 at 08:30

Windy - no I wasn't really going for it yesterday, so am really pleased with the time. It is looking more like I ran the full course and a large pack of runners took the fast route straight down a dual carriageway. Will see if any answers come from the organisers.

A week of rest and indulgence now planned.

Well done OO on stepping onto the podium.

07/05/2013 at 09:32

AR - another fantastic performance. I hope you didn't run too far!

Speedy - great podium when not racing. This must indicate you are getting back to pre-lurgy days!

Gul - nice racing as well.

OO - excellent podium.

Have been away with no internet access. Will have a good read back later.

In full taper madness now. Only 5 days to go. Looks like it may be a warm one so been trying to acclimatise by running the past few days in the hottest part of the day. I actually feel calmer now than for the past couple of weeks. I know i can't make any improvements now - just burn unnecessary matches so feeling quite chilled.

07/05/2013 at 10:11

AR - speedy stuff, a not fully raced 2.52 is pretty amazing

Gul and Jools - well done on your 10ks.

OO and Speedy - Well poded.

DS2 -  in the final stretch now!

It wwould appear I have succembed to the family chest virus with an annoying tickly and chesty cough. Hopefully it will not do what it has for everyone else and linger for weeks and weeks, I have Chester Half on Sunday (hopefully).

Managed a 10mile runyesterday am before the lurgy took hold with 3 at hmp of 6.18 in advance of Sunday.  Nice and easy from now until then.

07/05/2013 at 12:14

Milton Keynes Race

I really was indecisive about running this. I had booked it several weeks before VLM on the chance that something went wrong  injury, illness or race wise.  After the high of completing VLM, the prospect of running around MKeynes didn’t appeal, but I recovering really well from London, and with the Sub3:15 adage that you learn something from every race , I decided to give it a go.

I carb loaded slightly differently this time. I was feeling slightly bloated at VLM, so did a ‘tapered’ carb load with Fri – Daddy Carb Load(11g per Kg), Sat – Mummy Carb Load (9g per Kg), and Sun – Baby Carb Load(7g per KG), then on the day just the usual bowl of porridge (not too hot, not too cold, just the right size). VLM was 3 days of 10g of carbs per Kg.

The MK Race was certainly well organised, with use of the MK Dons stadium before hand for bag storage, changing and toilet. The race starts outside the stadium, and finishes inside. The first third of the race is on dual carriage ways with a few undulations, and then moves onto the MK Redways which are cycle paths. They snake up and under the main roads.

I had a clear understanding of what I wanted to get out of the race itself. I wanted to  run at PMP for next season / year which will be 6:18 min/m pace (2:45 target)  up to about 10 miles, and then settle down to 6:30 / 6:40 pace, whatever I could comfortably hold on tired legs. I don't want to get hung up on new targets, but getting a feel for this at the start of this no risk race on tired legs could be useful for the future.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.