Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,041 to 27,060 of 35,632 messages
04/05/2013 at 23:59
Just quickly popping in to wish Gul good luck in tomorrows 10k, hope you hit your target.

Epic report Fingers! Excelled stuff.

AR- great to see you taking it easy after London.

A couple of hours on the bike this morning and planning a few more planned for Sunday on a rather hilly route. It's gonna be a tough one.

Good luck to anyone else racing.
05/05/2013 at 00:16

Good luck again to you Gul for tomorrow.

And good luck to you too AR at Milton Keynes, take it easy and enjoy!

Look forward to both your results & reports.

05/05/2013 at 00:18

SJ - I currently use a treadmill at a local gym. At home I design a interval session, hill session, or progressive run on my pc, upload it onto a usb stick, and then use that at the gym.

That's the easy bit. Then you just need to run as fast as you thought you would, otherwise you're spat off the back of the treadmill.

If I was buying I would definitely look for some ability to programme your sessions. Otherwise having to mess about with buttons on a interval session is a pain

05/05/2013 at 06:16

I didn't realise there were so many fans of Emile on the thread (and I'm not talking about Zatopek with a misspelt name!) I've almost finished Au Bonheur Des Dames - very different to the BBC's recent mangled adaptation.
It's sunny here this morning - forecast is for 13-14C at race time. Just a slight breeze at the moment. Looking good. Time for breakfast and a bit more relaxing. I only live just over a mile from the start, so will jog down and warm-up shortly after 9:30.

05/05/2013 at 06:33

Gul - Yes, "The Paradise" was very disappointing and had turned into a soap opera by episode two. And yet it could have been so much better...I absolutely love most of Zola's work, especially (in particular order) "L'assommoir", "La Bête Humaine", "The Earth" and "Germinal". I envy anyone who has still got the pleasure of reading them ahead of them.

Have a great race! 

05/05/2013 at 06:42

Just a very quick check-in to say good luck Gul. Patience is a virtue so you deserve a massive PB.

And good luck tomorrow at MK AR.

Will read back later hopefully.

05/05/2013 at 07:54

Good luck again Gul.

I have just had to goggle Emile Zola

05/05/2013 at 07:57

Ant - I would certainly rate Germinal as one of the finest novels ever written, and La Terre is not far behind. I've not read the other two you mention - yet - nor most of the others in the Rougon-Macquart cycle.

05/05/2013 at 08:22

Despite having studied French at uni I have never read any Zola. He's rather the wrong era for me. I was a medievalist. 

Just about to head out for a time on feet run. No clue where to go as I don't know if the canal path is still closed or not. Can't seem to find any info on t'internet.

Good luck today Gul, bit of a late start for you!

05/05/2013 at 09:54

Good luck Gul!

Popped my park run cherry at Delamere yesterday with a sans garmin run to feel 18.19. Clearly I need to put my watch on and go 4 secs a k faster next time.

Did running to feel help me? dont know but didnt like it at all, no pace info compounded by no distance markers is not my bag.

05/05/2013 at 11:12
That a great park run debut Mennania. They are a bit tough going full pelt from the off.

45 miles on the bike this morning, legs are feeling pretty fatigued now. Quite enjoying it but I would prefer to be out running 'coz any old muppet can ride a bike.
Blisters    pirate
05/05/2013 at 11:30

Good luck Gul.

Has anyone seen Speedy? She set off down the canal and hasn't been seen since....

05/05/2013 at 11:38

Mennania - great debut run there. I also ran without a Garmin yesterday and while it felt a tad strange, it's worth doing every so often.

Moof - great weather for cycling this morning. I had an hour's spin to Box Hill and back and I'm in a damn fine mood at the moment as a result.

No sign of Speedy down here.

Come in Gul - we need to know how it all went

05/05/2013 at 12:27

Hello, I'm still here but having got all excited about being a sub-3.15 person and introducing myself, I've not really done any training worth discussing while recovering from vlm. Have just been for an easy 8-miler, though. It was very pleasant.

I too am waiting for Speedy to get back as I would quite like to know if the canal is still closed.

Mennania I don't really see the benefit of running without the Garmin either, probably because I only got mine in December, before which sans Garmin was just normal running.

I quite like a bit of Zola.

05/05/2013 at 12:38

Hi guys. Quick visit to say got a new PB - 40:32 watch time. Waiting for official results. Gutted not to get a sub 40 - but there's always next time. Now need to work out what I can learn from this. Report may not be till tomorrow as I'm now off to the in-laws for lunch.

05/05/2013 at 12:50

Congratulations Gul On a very well deserved PB. How was the pacing? Enjoy the lunch

8 miles progressive. First 5 k at 4:32 pace, second at 4:14 pace, so sub 44 10k and cool down for 13.4 km in an hour. Including a sub 4 10th km.

Off out to drink and swear a lot whilst a football game takes place.

05/05/2013 at 13:04

Congrats & Unlucky Gul, a new PB is not to be sniffed at.   32 divided by 10 is not that much per km to trim off for next time.

Clearly no Speedy here either, it might take her a while to get down the canal path to the Asia-Pacific, Kim Jong Un may have backfilled and closed his part of it anyway.

05/05/2013 at 14:13

Very impressive parkrun Menn! Wish we had such a thing here...I would run a 5k every week if I could.

Awesome Gul, well done! We are in a similar boat. I'm stuck on 40:20 for 10k but I'm sure we will get there with some more speedwork and even pacing. I find that 10k is the trickiest distance for me to run an average fast pace. 10k for me this a.m. in the sunshine, 44 mins - 1st 5k in 23mins & 21mins for 2nd 5k, felt like a decent workout. Was 2k from the end of my run when Dan Halksworth (local pro Ironman) came whizzing past me effortlessly, he won today's 10 mile race in 53 mins. Glad I opted out as 10k felt long enough today in very warm and sunny conditions.

Good luck tomorrow AR!!

05/05/2013 at 14:24

It's OK, I didn't get lost. Unlike last time when I tried to run down the canal and couldn't figure out the diversion... No, this time I just avoided the canal altogether, so I have no idea if it's still shut or not. Sorry Lit! Holme Pierrepont was a hive of activity with some sort of time trial rowing events going on (the boats all lined up like planes waiting to take off), then I just went out and back along the river, through Beeston marina and into the eternally annoying Attenborough nature reserve (too many kids/dogs/bikes/walkers). I planned 3 hours 10 to be on the safe side but got back to the car on 3.08.4x. I decided to stop at my marathon PB time of 3.08.58 rather than back and forth up the path for another minute and 2 seconds.

Gul - still a PB. Leaves you something to aim for next time!

05/05/2013 at 14:52

Congrats on the PB, Gul!

And Speedy, this is where you could go for the canal diversion a few weeks ago, but I don't know if it's still closed in the same places. I couldn't be bothered with it (or Attenborough) today either and ran up round Wollaton/Bramcote instead.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.