Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,061 to 27,080 of 37,407 messages
08/05/2013 at 19:23

AR, great report. Interesting and almost back to front tactic of going out fast and easing back but seems to have gotten you another sub 3 so that is a great confidence booster. Interesting thing with time bands: I did 2:50:28 and am struggling to get the confidence to tackle 2:45, you did 2:47:51 and are a shoe-in. Guess my plan should be a 2:47:50 next time out .

Speedy, I'll see your wood and raise you silver plated;

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2-ry3jGCv3M/UYqU9rICRxI/AAAAAAAAAG4/780zRsJ4gys/s720/IMG_0661%255B1%255D.JPG

Second Wednesday of the month handicap. A series of poor runs have brought my handicap down from 7:30 to 6:00 and a return to form means that is over a minute too easy so I rollicked home in an easy first place.

While I am doing photos, Miss PMJ #1 in full flow:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yTyr0hxMdoQ/UYqUvBlWzVI/AAAAAAAAAG4/PZ2XXI2Es3g/s912/477346_10151384190933639_2091574914_o.jpg

08/05/2013 at 19:50

PMJ she looks very determined and very fast. Chip off the old block to be proud of.

Lots of good running but have to single out AR, the man's a machine. Kraftwerk could write a song about him.

Too busy and too wasted to run much at the moment, managed an epic fail today by going to bed at 0500  , the head says take it easy and rebuild over the summer for a PB attempt in Abingdon. But another hard-to-turn-down job invite to a dodgy looking place arrived today, decisions to be made.

Good running all, enjoy the summer after a winter of hard graft.

08/05/2013 at 20:17

PMJ Nice of photo of PMJ #1 and nice return to form

5 mile recovery, exactly the same as yesterday. So much easier today. I am debating a 5 or 10k solo run on my 1.2km flat stretch at the weekend. The race track is slowly being fenced in and being filled with more and more tourists. These people should not be allowed out at the same time as me. I have remembered another bonus of the 5am run.

08/05/2013 at 20:59

Poacher - No! Not Morecambe, is it?

08/05/2013 at 21:09

Salford*

(*other delightful places are available)

08/05/2013 at 22:14

Jesus - Salford...my brother was at University there and it was like Beirut, but bleaker and uglier.

08/05/2013 at 22:34

Just dropping in with another race report before bed. Nottinghamshire summer league, first race of the series as the usual first one was cancelled due to licensing issues. 5 miles round Holme Pierrepont in the rain and wind. 

Unsure of what pace I'd be able to hold I decided beforehand to try for HM pace, bearing in mind that I failed to hold that pace 10 days ago for a 5k parkrun. The first mile the wind was behind us, so that was a little quicker. As usual Nikita shot off into the distance, but there was a group of girls quite close to me. Most of them dropped back after half a mile or so, but a girl I didn't recognise in a Sutton vest came past and surged ahead. We got to the end of the lake and I realised that a) I appeared to be 3rd lady but assumed I just couldn't see Becky and Jo, who must surely be ahead somewhere, and b) there was a bit of gap in front of me and we were about to hit the almighty headwind. I put on a burst of speed to catch a small group ahead of me. 

The strongest runner in the group turned out to be the Sutton girl. I tucked in behind her (she wasn't a very good windshield, being rather slim). After a mile or so the course goes up a tiny hill and I passed her there. I moved forward to a group of tall blokes and tucked in behind them until we got out of the wind. I feared a stitch so didn't push too hard on the sheltered section, but kept a steady pace.

Not long after 4 miles you go up over a little hill and back into the wind. The Sutton girl was right on my tail. Grrrr. She tucked in behind me on the long (over half a mile) finishing straight. So I slowed down. It worked, she went past with still half a mile to go and I tucked in behind her. Until about 200m from the finish line when I moved out and sprinted for the finish, claiming second lady for the second time this week. 

I feel a tiny bit guilty about using the poor girl as a windbreak, but it's a legitmate tactic. If she'd stayed behind me until 200m to go she'd have won the sprint finish as I'd have been spent. 

The average pace was 6.15s, which is faster than HM pace but slower than 10k pace. I wasn't knackered at the end though, probably because I ran tactically rather than eyeballs out. I think my time was 31.34, which would be a PB by about 30 seconds. 

And I met Literatin after the race, which was great. 

Now I must sleep!

08/05/2013 at 22:53

I am back too. The sun came out and the wind died down about half an hour after the race.

I was 99% sure I recognised Speedy before the race, but there wasn't time to say hello. I only joined my club in November to shamelessly exploit them for their UKA affiliation and claim my championships place at VLM, so I haven't done this one before, or indeed any other 5-mile race. My legs felt pretty normal but I wasn't sure how much I could expect 2 and a half weeks after my first marathon, plus I've no significant speed at shorter distances anyway. I decided to set off quite fast to get some space and then try and settle into a sustainable pace, though I knew from my warm-up that the difference between the headwind and tailwind was going to make it hard to pace evenly. In the end my mile splits basically reflect the wind conditions on the course, with the first and fourth miles (tailwind) being quite fast and the rest rather less so. Unlike Speedy I failed to use any other runners as a windbreak, as wherever I positioned myself the wind just seemed to be coming from all directions. I more or less managed to keep Speedy in sight for the whole race but had no chance of catching her.

Just after three miles I was running just behind another woman (I think from Derby) and a member of the 'theory section' of my club who was spectating totally lied to me, telling me I was fifth lady and should try to move up. So I overtook the woman in front and caught up with the next one, staying on her shoulder for the next mile, though eventually she put on a burst of speed and I didn't catch her. And then I was still bloody well fifth. Grr. The only explanation for my clubmates shit counting is that Speedy was already tucked in behind the Sutton girl and he didn't see her! Time was 32.20, which I'm happy enough with but I think I need to get my act together with some proper speedwork. Still, I beat all the blokes in my club, so that is something.

And I introduced myself to Speedy afterwards. Then I went to the pub and had gin and crisps for tea.

Edited: 08/05/2013 at 22:54
09/05/2013 at 05:59

Great reports and excellent racing from Speedy and Literatin. Those are fast trimes considering the strong wind. Especially nice to see Speedy getting fitness and confidence back. Told ya.

Nice pic of a PMJette posted by her doting dad, and you've got to be happy with winning that cup!

4M at varying pace done early this morning. I think the legs are all right again but I'm another who needs to do some serious speedwork if they want anything out of the end of this season...

09/05/2013 at 06:08

Must be 10k season! Good luck to LD, Ant, Lorenzo and OO.
PMJ - congrats on the handicap trophy. Great photo of daughter #2 looking very impressive.
Poacher - hope you make the right decision - never easy.
SD - know what you mean about 5am bonus. Far too many other people around last night. Although it did have a positive as well - bumped into my sister.
Speedy and Literatin - great report and racing from both of you.
Managed to squeeze in a 9 mile steady run yesterday evening - should have been at a slightly slower pace, but had to get back in time to pick up younger daughter from Guides. Not too fussed as Tuesday's steady run turned out at an easy pace! I think I might swap Tues am and Weds pm around in future weeks as I don't think I'll have enough time to fit the evening run in otherwise. Recovery run this morning already d&d.

09/05/2013 at 06:09

x-post Ant - nice early run!

09/05/2013 at 07:49

Nice racing, Speedy and Literatin.

09/05/2013 at 07:52

I got an early run in (00:30 GMT), but that's cheating, as I'm in a different time zone.

Speedy & Lit nice racing.  Speedy get any wood this time or some other prize we can twist for our merriment?

Poacher, I went to Salford; once..... & once was enough.

PMJ, Does that count as a bandito cup then? & is that you in the reflection?  You appear to have shorts on, so there is some saving grace.

Lorenzo, 10k training in 4 days - will be eyeballs out then on race day.

09/05/2013 at 07:55

Oh we do love a good dual. Well done girls Speedy and Literatin.

09/05/2013 at 08:03

PMJ - congrats to you and PMJette. Has she inherited her Dad's love of stats yet?

Literatin - gin and crisps? Sounds like you've been following one of Minni's diet plans!

Great reports from you and Speedy. 2 forum lasses in the top 5 - we've got a long way to go lads!

I've also been to Salford - not in my top 10 for holiday destinations but I've been to worse places.

Nice early start Ant - has the weather improved yet?

6 miles for me this morning with a few fast and a few hilly bits in there for good measure. Very much doubt that this Sunday will be close to a PB - it's on Wimbledon Common so apart from the terrain there'll be a few Wombles to avoid.

09/05/2013 at 10:14

Lorenzo - no, still raining. We did have a nice weekend, but it's back to how it was.

All right, worse places than Salford? I nominate...actually I can't think of anywhere actually worse. I'll come back to you on this one...

09/05/2013 at 12:53

Speedy and Lit Great racing and reports.

Lorenzo I agree the ladies are too pacey for my liking. The day after London I got "chicked" by my 7 year old daughter in a 100m race.  I was actually trying but unable to run (or walk).

Nice early ones from Ant and Gul

Salford I have been, I am too much of a gentleman to say any more

09/05/2013 at 13:08
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

AR, great report. Interesting and almost back to front tactic of going out fast and easing back but seems to have gotten you another sub 3 so that is a great confidence booster. Interesting thing with time bands: I did 2:50:28 and am struggling to get the confidence to tackle 2:45, you did 2:47:51 and are a shoe-in. Guess my plan should be a 2:47:50 next time out .

PMJ Good pictures of you daughter powering down the straight. Conditions, road surface , and and some anticipated fatigued made me turn around the pacing. You mentioned the other day about clubs - I'm in the midst of reviewing that at the moment. I am down to UK NetRunners (cheap), Purple Patch Running (Cheap and includes Chiltern XC for the winter) or Maidenhead which is slightly pricy but would open up the summer 5k series as well as the XC.

I was thinking of focusing on 10k's for a couple of months, but if I decided on 5k's as well then Maidenhead AC may be more useful. Only downside apart from cost is that it seems you can't run the Maidenhead 10 as its a club run/marshalled event. Club training times don't really suit

Decisions, decisions.

09/05/2013 at 13:11

Its very quiet on RW at the moment. Should I be out enjoying the sun? Anyway, great racing and reports from Speedy and Literatin to distract me from working. 

09/05/2013 at 13:14

Some solid running going on and once again the girls are leading from the front!!!

Nice trophy as well PMJ - keeping the boys end up I'm pleased to see. Looks like you have come back really well and daughter looks strong and focussed!

AR - I'm looking at running the Maidenhead Half on 8 September and targetting a decent time (for me). Is it a good event?

Trying to take my mind off of the madness that is taper. Luckily Mrs DS2 is off for 4 days with her friends so I'm left to run the house, look after three teenage daughters and take the dog out - as well as run a marathon! At least that will mean I don't have time to think about it!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.