Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,081 to 27,100 of 38,943 messages
09/05/2013 at 13:28

Good 5 mile times Speedy & Literatin!

I bet you are enjpying the taper DS2 after all the hard work so far. How long till your big day?

09/05/2013 at 13:40

Excellent reports & times there Speedy & Literatin!

Two days off for me as I seem to have pulled a muscle in the groin area. Will try run a 3 miler tomorrow. Need to get some some speedwork done for up and coming races.

09/05/2013 at 13:51

DS2 - I ran the half last year. It's put on by Purple Patch Running and was well organised. Its a decent flat course - definitely PB material for a half marathon. I would say its quicker than Reading or Wokingham. Based on your times there should be no bottlenecks. Further down the field there were some bottlenecks as you have to run through an underpass and I think it got busy at that point last year.

So temperatures are looking good for the weekend for Halstead - hopefully the wind will drop a bit in time for the race. I recommend a beetroot powered wind dance

09/05/2013 at 14:19

KR - it's been a bit of an odd taper to be honest. Work and family got mad about a month ago and I ended up doing a really easy week with no MLR or long run 4 weeks out. I asked Steve Smythe what he thought and he suggested a hardish week and then a two week taper which is what I've done but it feels like I've been tapering for ages.

Hopefully my legs will bemnefit from it and I haven't lost any fitness. I'm pleased to say I have found someone to run with who is going for a very similar time so that should help.

AR - I think I will probably do that event then. Only about 90 minutes drive so ok. Yes - the temp looks about right and if the wind drops a tad, all the better!

Blisters    pirate
09/05/2013 at 17:46

Excellent race reports Speedy and Literatin, with some great race craft being displayed.
Lovely silverware PMJ, but I feel that they might have spotted your new found form now.

I promised that I should run today, but I have been for my first open water swim of the season, which was interesting. Blowing a gale, 12 degrees, and I should leave the rest to your imagination. 1300m done.

After the swim, I realise that I'm sporting a love bite.

Run? Yeah, 5.6 miles at 7:30m/m. It was cold, and drizzling at 30 knots sideways. Aftre 5 miles I'd warmed up, mostly because I'd been clogging along.

Edited: 09/05/2013 at 20:31
09/05/2013 at 20:48

All power to you Blisters! I saw that weather and thought - treadmill! 

09/05/2013 at 21:01

Just had an email asking me to run the 3000m in Division 1 next Saturday. Eeeeek, I thought they'd put me in Division 7. I'm sooooo going to come last. 

09/05/2013 at 22:22

Congrats Speedy - I'd say that it's pretty impressive to be invited to run at that level, wherever you may end up!!

Blisters - you're a brave lad to get yourself out there in that weather. Your trophy nibble adds a whole new dimension to "biting wind".

10/05/2013 at 06:35

9 miles for me last night- weather was fine, but my dodgy hip was not- had to pull up at one point. I've dropped back to 4-5 runs a week now to give it a chance to stabilise.

Anyone racing this w/end? 

10/05/2013 at 06:46

Windy - good late run, then?
What's all this Salford bashing? I used to visit a friend in Salford when I was at Uni and it didn't seem too bad. Oh, hang on a minute I was living in Moss Side at the time...
DS2 - that's one way to beat the taper madness.
GM - hope you make a quick recovery.
AR - you're not doing Halstead as well, are you?!!!
Blisters - rather you than me. Well done.
Speedy - congrats on the call up to division 1. Very impressive.
OO - sorry to hear the hip is playing up again.
6 easy miles this morning, plus 20 mins of technique drills. Definitely one to do early in the morning

10/05/2013 at 07:11

remind me what technique drills are Gul- sounds a bit military...

10/05/2013 at 07:54

Speedy: we were Div 1 last season and I did the 1500 and 3000 and wasn't last in either!

10/05/2013 at 08:35

Hi all, hope everyone is getting on well. I would be very grateful for advice from you lot on my situation: I have the Edinburgh Marathon in two weeks. Up untill 4 weeks ago my training went well, however my knee was starting to get 'loose'. 4 weeks ago I ran a HM during which my knee was quite painful, but I pushed through it (1:27:24, yay!). Since then I have barely been able to run due to pain under my and to right of my kneecap (classic runner's knee I think)  - today was the first day since that I have run even 4 miles, and even then I could feel my knee. I think my options are either continue my gentle rehab and then try and run a very slow marathon, or give it up and focus on next year. Thanks for any thoughts.

TR
10/05/2013 at 10:30

DS2 - all the best, nice and easy does it in the first 1/2, respect the distance, control the controllables esp early doors (gels, drinks etc) and then believe in yourself when the time comes to fix bayonets.

10/05/2013 at 10:37

Quick check in. 

Excellent stuff Speedy.

Gul - well done on the 10k.

DS2 - good luck for the weekend.  Nail that GFA

I'm on the bench.  Calf strain is meaning no running.     And also meaning I'm missing the first two 10ks I had planned.

10/05/2013 at 11:50

Lorenzo wrote (see)

PMJ - congrats to you and PMJette. Has she inherited her Dad's love of stats yet?

Odd thing is that daughter #1 hated maths and dropped it as soon as she could. At uni she has had to do a stats module for her sports science and ended up with a first in that module. Daughter #2 carried on maths a bit more but didn't want to do so at uni so is studying politics but has just announced she is doing stats as well next year and was looking forward to doing numbers again. They can't escape.

Also-ran wrote (see)
You mentioned the other day about clubs - I'm in the midst of reviewing that at the moment. I am down to UK NetRunners (cheap), Purple Patch Running (Cheap and includes Chiltern XC for the winter) or Maidenhead which is slightly pricy but would open up the summer 5k series as well as the XC.

I was thinking of focusing on 10k's for a couple of months, but if I decided on 5k's as well then Maidenhead AC may be more useful. Only downside apart from cost is that it seems you can't run the Maidenhead 10 as its a club run/marshalled event. Club training times don't really suit

Decisions, decisions.

If the summer 5ks are a decisive thing then I am sure we can find enough people on this forum to invite you as a guest for a few of them. The summer 5ks are a real social thing and not the real speed thing.

10/05/2013 at 12:19

Lumbu - If you've missed 4 weeks' training and still feel that the knee is giving you grief, then sadly you probably already know the answer to that question. Sorry, but there it is.

Minni - Take it easy with that calf - but not that easy!

Has anyone got any references about K-Swiss shoes? I saw this offer this morning and I'm sorely tempted, at that price!

10/05/2013 at 12:44

Speedy Congratulations on the call up

OO and Minni Look after the niggles

Lumbu Unfortunately I agree. If it is still bad (has anybody looked at it) putting it through 26 easy miles will not help.

Ant I have just used  K-Swiss Konejo 2 (last worn 2nd April total 544 miles) and I liked them a lot. They seemed slightly hard when first worn but soon softened up into a really comfortable shoe.

10/05/2013 at 12:51
Gul Darr wrote (see)

Windy - good late run, then?
What's all this Salford bashing? I used to visit a friend in Salford when I was at Uni and it didn't seem too bad. Oh, hang on a minute I was living in Moss Side at the time...
DS2 - that's one way to beat the taper madness.
GM - hope you make a quick recovery.
AR - you're not doing Halstead as well, are you?!!!
Blisters - rather you than me. Well done.
Speedy - congrats on the call up to division 1. Very impressive.
OO - sorry to hear the hip is playing up again.
6 easy miles this morning, plus 20 mins of technique drills. Definitely one to do early in the morning

Gul ,Marathon season is well and truely over for me! I'm just trying to influence the weather for  DS2, and then Speedy in the upcoming marathons. I made such a good job of it at Milton Keynes (sunburn still stinging a bit).

Ooohh -  Topped Marathon Talk Podium for the boys. Where's my trophy?

10/05/2013 at 13:40
Also-ran wrote (see)

Ooohh -  Topped Marathon Talk Podium for the boys. Where's my trophy?

Heard that yesterday, was about to post but you beat me to it.

Odd conversation at lunchtime. I run from my office to Hyde Park which is a tad over 2 miles, then do a loop which is just over 3 miles at a steady lick, then run back for about 7.5 miles. Towards the end of my loop, I suddenly noticed that a woman in a coat, jeans and boots was starting to run alongside me. Now it isn't a tempo effort but still it is better than 7 minute miling so my first reaction was to glance at the Garmin and check, but yes, I was at 6.xx pace, so what was this woman doing? Then she started to talk to me and was trying to get me to divert my route as a camera was pointing down my usual route. I told her not to worry and carried on.

Now I write it down, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought she was worried the camera may steal my soul and we are all 21st century people and know that is reserved for tax-men, lawyers and estate agents but maybe she was worried I may spoil her filming. Guess we'll never know, unless you spot a fluorescent yellow running top in an upcoming Jane Austin adoption.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.