Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,101 to 27,120 of 37,418 messages
10/05/2013 at 14:44

You do get some nutters hanging around Hyde Park!

Just got the great news that I have free entry to a marathon next year due to a slight error in the marshalling of this years event.

Edited: 10/05/2013 at 14:44
10/05/2013 at 15:17

Good result AR, but it could have been a lost PB I guess.

Sorry to hear that Minni- you'll be gutted to miss those 10k's

I was hopeless at maths and sciences at school but all 3 daughters are very strong in both- I blame their mother.

Maybe she was just after an autograph PMJ?

10/05/2013 at 16:03

Good news AR.

I have eventually succumbed to the illness that has been flying around my houselhold for months but whilst I have a graveyard cough it is  hopefully a somewhat diluted version. This most probably means a DNS for sundays Half at Chester. Still two days to go yet but am not inclined to strap up my boots unless I am much better

10/05/2013 at 17:14

Ant, Scooby

Thanks. Yes, I guess I did already know. What a bummer. Cheers anyway

10/05/2013 at 17:32
Mennania wrote (see)

Good news AR.

I have eventually succumbed to the illness that has been flying around my houselhold for months but whilst I have a graveyard cough it is  hopefully a somewhat diluted version. This most probably means a DNS for sundays Half at Chester. Still two days to go yet but am not inclined to strap up my boots unless I am much better

Mennania - I know that feeling:

I woke up this morning not feeling my best and a sore throat!!! I've gone all winter with nothing more than a 3 day head cold and now two days before I feel like I could be getting something more serious! Potentially 7  months of hard training down the pan!!

Anyhow, I'm hoping it's a combination of taper madness and being overworked and I just need a couple of good nights sleep to get me back on the right path. I really hope so!

Just been out for a gentle final 3 miler. Very windy so hard work uphill into the wind. I could hear my breathing was wheezy (is that a real word???) which isn't good. My legs feel pretty great though after Wednesdays massage. I did run the last mile at MP with no effort so maybe I'll be fine. I have to do it whatever because so many people have been good enough to sponsor me. I'm sure I will know what pace is possible 2 or 3 miles in and go from there.

Feeling a bit worried and a bit down

AR - I should think they would offer you that although I think you said in your race report - never again!!!

10/05/2013 at 18:50

Fingers are crossed for you DS2.

Sorry about your news Lumbu  

Quality racing from Speedy, Lit and PMJ (nice bling!)

I was born in Salford and still have relatives there. Yes, it is a hole. The worst thing about it is its proximity to Old Trafford. Bleurgh.

10/05/2013 at 19:01

Thanks for that Scooby. Do you remember if the sizing on the K-Swiss was particularly big or small? I mean, Nike, for example are one size bigger than most brands. And I'm going to have to buy these shoes totally unseen and untried.

Mennania - Bad luck - hope it clears up quickly.

DS2 - That is classic taper madness - you'll be all right.

AR - A well-deserved MT shout-out.

10/05/2013 at 19:35

I loved the race reports from AR, Speedy and Literatin so have added my own below.

On Monday I ran the Belfast City Marathon which was only 15 days after running 2:56:41 at the VLM. I only booked this marathon as a backup in case the weather was bad or other problems occurred in London.

As I achieved my goal of a sub 3 and beating my PB by 13 minutes in London I considered not running at all. I also considered just running at a slow pace and enjoying the day. However, with only three days to go I decided just to go for it and see what happened!

I know conventional wisdom says you can’t run two fast marathons about two weeks apart but I believe I recover quicker than most due to my whole food vegan diet. The only way to find out for sure was to test my theory.

My plan was to begin at 6:40 pace and see if I could PB.  I was going to keep an eye on my HR as I’d noticed from previous logs that I always struggle near the end of a marathon if my average HR was high 150’s. My average HR in London was an all time marathon low of only 149 and I felt great at the end.  So I targeted keeping my HR below 155 and if it was too high early on forget about the 6:40 pace and adjust my goals during the race.

The first 100 people would get a commemorative t-shirt, and 100th place last year finished in 3:03:xx so 3:02 was my B goal.

I lined up at the start close to the front near the sub 3 pacers. I ran the first four miles in 6:37, 6:42, 6:42 and 6:41 but was worried about my HR. For each of these miles it averaged 152, 155, 161 and 158. So I decided at this early stage not to try and PB but target a sub 3 instead. I ran the following miles in 6:51, 6:51, 6:42, 6:58, 6:46 and 6:45 but my HR averaged between 158 to 161 on each mile.

Miles 8 to 14 are all up a steady hill then a sharp downhill between miles 14 to 16. So I decided to maintain sub 3 pace until at least 16 miles and see how I felt. The next miles were in 6:40, 6:49, 6:54 and I went through half way in 1:29:3x. Mile 14 took 6:59 before the downhill miles in 6:16 and 6:35.

In the VLM my quads began getting sore and tightening around mile 15 but I didn’t suffer any discomfort at this stage in Belfast. The downhill sections had lowered my HR to below 155 and it stayed there through the next few miles. These were completed in 6:46, 7:02, 6:55 and 6:53 to bring me to 20 miles in 2:15:xx.

The sub 3 pacers caught me at around mile 20 so I tucked in at the back trying to shield from a slight head wind. My family met me at this stage and handed over a drink and gel which was very welcome as you only got drinks in useless plastic cups. However, while trying to open the gel I dropped the drink and had to run back to pick it up. In doing so I nearly got hit by a bike and by the time I got running properly again I was about 15 m behind the pacers.

I was having no problems with my quads and still felt strong but this seemed to deflate me mentally. I knew I could catch them and sub 3 but it was starting to get tougher and I just wondered ‘why bother’? I’d already achieved my goal in London and pushing my body hard again over the last few miles didn’t seem wise any more.

So I decided to forget about a sub 3 and just target my original B goal of around 3:02 and hope I would finish in the top 100. I ran the next miles in 6:55, 7:05, 7:07 and 6:40 down a slight hill. My HR was now down to 152 and although it was getting tougher I was still quite comfortable and enjoying the crowds.

I got hit with a water bomb around this point by a kid of about 8 running past one of Belfast’s rougher areas. I found it pretty funny but a guy in a bike who was coaching a lady runner close by blew his top. He shouted and screamed at the kid who scampered off fast

10/05/2013 at 19:36

He shouted and screamed at the kid who scampered off faster than a Kenyan in the opposite direction!   

The 24th mile took 7:10 and then the 25th up a hill took 7:18 and I was glad to turn away from the wind and down hill for the last full mile. I ran this in 7:04 and my HR was right down to 149 before I picked the pace up slightly to finish the last 0.2 miles at 6:42 pace.

I crossed the finish line in just under 3:01 for a chip time of 3:00:55. I’ve never felt fresher at the end of a marathon and had no tightness or discomfort in any muscles. I discovered later that I finished in 46th place out of 2530 and beat all but 19 of the 1933 relay teams so I’m well pleased.

I had only mild muscle soreness over the following days without any limping or difficulty walking downstairs. This was a first!

Belfast is probably a few minutes slower than London and I do believe I could have run about 2:59 on the day if I’d run a little harder over the last 6 miles. I’ve no doubt I’d have run sub 3 if I hadn’t have managed it in London. On the flip side I also believe I could have run sub 2:55 in London if that had been my goal.

If I was to tackle something like this again I would cross train between the marathons as I believe my HR started higher due to losing a little fitness. It always appears to rise about 5 bmp after a few days of complete rest. I should have done some swimming or cycling. I only ran 8 miles throughout the whole week before Belfast without any cross training.

So to answer my original query of could I run two fast marathons 15 days apart, it’s a resounding yes. However, I was probably a few minutes faster in the first one all things considered. I think if I’d cross trained or had 3 weeks between them the relative times would have been even closer.

10/05/2013 at 19:42

Habe you read the Marathon Of the North measured almost 300m short. The only person that did the full distance was the winner.  Totally shocking. 

10/05/2013 at 21:10

Apologies if I miss anyone.

Excellent race reports Speedy, Lit and Badbark (an easy 3.00 marathon is a massive progression for you so soon after a massive VLM PB).

Hope you are back running soon Minni. Such a shame you are missing the 10ks.

Sorry to hear of your injury Lumbu but be realistic as to whether you can run 26.2 with a dodgy knee.

After a very tough working week I'm looking forward to taking out my stress on the Leicester 10k on Sunday. Although I've tried a couple of fast runs this week and both have resulted in vomiting!! Not sure Sunday is going to be pleasent or pretty!!!

Blisters    pirate
10/05/2013 at 21:20

Good reading and good racing folks.

11/05/2013 at 06:30

Badbark - Fantastic report and a brilliant effort so soon after VLM. A couple of things:

Badbark wrote (see)

I believe I recover quicker than most due to my whole food vegan diet.

The first 100 people would get a commemorative t-shirt

Why do you believe your diet helps you recover quicker than most?

Only the first 100 got a t-shirt? That's a bit stingy, isn't it?

Edited: 11/05/2013 at 06:30
11/05/2013 at 07:07

parkrun this morning, weather looks better than predicted.

I like races where the fastest runners get prizes- I'm selfish like that . I once did a race where the top 50 got a T shirt- that was a hell of an incentive, I think I scraped 49th with a pb at the time.

11/05/2013 at 07:10

OO - technique drills are things like skipping, bounding, high knees, butt kicks etc.. I did have a link to a good article and video by Macmillan on them, but I lost it when I rebuilt my laptop.
Lumbu - great HM time, but sorry to hear about the knee. I think the sensible thing to do would be to give Edinburgh a miss and focus on making a full recovery.
Minni - shame about the calf strain. Hope it doesn't take long to recover.
AR - well done on topping the MT podium - very impressive.
PMJ - I'd have thought you had enough daughters without adopting another one Weird story btw.
Mennania - sorry to hear it sounds like a DNS.
DS2 - oh no! Really hope it doesn't develop into anything worse.
BB - great report and very impressive marathon running.
Martin - good luck in the 10k.
Lovely 14 mile slow run this morning - out to Sandringham and back. Very slow out and a bit quicker on the way back.

11/05/2013 at 07:11

x-post OO - sun is now out here too. Good luck with the parkrun.

Blisters    pirate
11/05/2013 at 07:54

Morning y'all. Gul back already after 14 miles SLOW! I'm thinking that I was up early. Call me a Grandad, I'll need a sleep in the afternoon as it is.

11/05/2013 at 08:21

Hi Blisters - out at 4:36 and now taking second breakfast back to bed.

11/05/2013 at 09:13

Great report Badbark and two fantastic runs within such a short space of time. Brilliant!

thanks for the good wishes everyone but things have taken a turn for the worse and I have a full blown cold on the go including achy limbs. Just got out of breath walking the dog! I will dose up all day, drink lots of fluid and hope it flushes through. 

I will make the start line and assess things as I go. GFA may not be possible but so many people have been kind enosupport sponsor me that I owe it to them to complete the run no matter what.

I feel so unhappy about this and can't seem to find another marathon that I could do as a replacement.

Oh well - such is life! There are far worse things that could happen!

11/05/2013 at 11:04

Congrats on your podium place on Marathon Talk AR - thought it must be you!!

Congrats also to Badbark - nice bit of experimentation there. Love the report.

Gul - you're just bonkers! Enjoy breakfast no.2

Lumbu - I'm with everyone else on the recommendation to give Edinburgh a miss.

Had my first volunteering stint at parkrun this morning - I had the pressure of being on barcode scanning duty.  

Cycled over for 20 miles there and back and it looks like Mrs L got a PB and younger Lorenzito seems to have smashed his (so much for the benefit of having me as a pacemaker) so a few happy faces. The winner finished in, er, 15:08 - a course record by quite some way. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.