Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,241 to 27,260 of 37,157 messages
12/05/2013 at 20:48

Ok, so to the report:

Things hadn't been too clever in the proceeding couple of days. Noticed on Friday a sore throat developing and decided to run after work to see how it felt. Result - not too clever! Was burning up on a slowish 3.2 miler and wheezing noticeably. I did run the last mile or so at PMP and it didn't feel any worse, but............

Saturday was far worse and I really would have pulled out if it hadn't been for the fact I'd been sponsored to the tune of £600 already and Minni gave me a pep talk on another thread (you know the one guys - it's manflu, just Fecking do it!!!). Obviously, she put it nicer than that, but need I say more. So decision made I set off to Halstead at 7amm after taking some Lemsip and nurofen and the obligatory porridge!

I met up with the lady I intended to run with who was hoping to creep inside her PB of 3:19. Kit on and ready to go. Down to the start and a minutes silence for Boston followed by a round of applause. I used this to focus on what I was there to do.

Then we were off. First mile is steeply down followed by very steeply up (steepest on the course). I intended to run between 7:30 and 7:35mm depending on hills. Through the first mile in 7:36 but already sweating far too much - this could be hard work!

Settled down and next couple were in 7:30 and 7:29 but still sweating profusely. Next one was 7:27 and starting to feel better but my friend was struggling with stomach cramps  (she'd been ill for VLM and perhaps not recovered as she thought).  The following miles were 7:34, 7;44, 7:39 and 7:39 and Debbie was struggling. This was all into a pretty strong wind so I wasn't unduly worried. I wanted company for as long as possible so hung about hoping she would feel better but she was clearly struggling and telling me to push on. I resisted for a bit but realised I needed to when the next one came out at 7:51!

Mile 10 was a little quicker in 7:44 but still off the pace and went through 10 in 76:15 which was 45 seconds slower than I intended. I pushed on. It was surprising how hard it was to pick the pace back up but the next 3 miles were 7:32, 7:35 and 7:37 but had some hills. I went through halfway in 1:40:04 and realised I had to push on if I was to get inside 3:20.

I kept thinking about all the advice I'd received on here and the fantastic performances in recent marathons and how people dug in when it got tough. It helped immensely.

The next f miles got me back on track as they came in at 7:26, 7:31, 7:22, 7:33 & 7:34. I was struggling up a long climb in the middle of this when I caught and passed a guy pulling (and his mate pushing)an Aga!!!!! It really picked me up - I felt truly inspired. The road surface at times is pretty dreadful in the country lanes and finding good footing for your feet was hard enough. How they got it around the course I do not know!

I always hate these miles 18-22  but I thought if I could keep the miles at this pace I would give myself a fighting chance. I was working hard but controlled. The four up to 22 were slowish though in 7:39, 7:39, 7:41 and 7:40 but amazingly consistent considering the hilly nature of the course.

Now I felt Sub 3;20 was on. Again I thought about all those recent marathons completed by those on this thread. I was passing people regularly and no-one was passing me and I took heart from this and my legs felt the best they had felt all day.

Mile 23 was 7:27 and mile 24 was 7:29. Still feeling good and overtook third placed lady in mile 25 which I completed in 7:34. I knew I had 10 minutes from the 25 mile marker and knew I just had to keep running to do it but I had forgotten about the course's sting in the tail as you enter the final mile.

Half a mile of uneven grass which starts with a really steep qua

12/05/2013 at 20:58

Half a mile of uneven grass which starts with a really steep quarter mile. It really affected my legs for the first time all day they felt tired and I contemplated walking. Luckily I had been racing with a guy for the past 3 or 4 miles who had been hanging on to me after I passed him in mile 23 and he was having the same issues. We encouraged each other briefly and the next quarter mile felt so tough as he went past me. I knew I had to hang in there and stayed a yard behind him until we hit the tarmac again when I went back in front. I was really struggling through mile 26 but completed it in 7:34 which surprised me and then I just hung on to cross the line in 3:19:05 (official chip time).

This was 25 minutes quicker than last year. It is a tough course for sure. It was won in 2:43 and I came in in 49th of the 504 finishers. The last time I ran quicker than that I wasn't even 30, so I'm pretty pleased and relieved.

I now have Abingdon to look forward to and like the guys above realise I need to run my faster sessions faster if I'm going to improve.

12/05/2013 at 21:10

So much to read back on but a quick couple of comments;

DS 2 - Well done - This thread had a knack for brinkmanship presently a 25 min course pb at this end of the spectrum is impressive by any measure.

Martin H - Cracking 10k there. Only your second? you should think about doing more.

Lit - top poding

new p.b of 1.22.29 at chester for me and to be fair I was only slightly hindered by my chest from mile 11 onwards so the race had been run by then. Will post a full report tomorrow. Nice to see the thread is back in full swing with summer running

12/05/2013 at 21:16

Good report DS2. I think you are a bit nicer than me. On the hill I'd have been thinking 'Here I am struggling and those bastards are pulling a f*cking Aga just to rub it in', not 'how inspiring!'. But looks like it worked for you either way. 

Well done on the PB Men. I can't imagine running that fast (a) ever, and (b) so soon after VLM.

12/05/2013 at 21:21

DS2 - sounds like you dug deep for that one and got a spectacular course PB and a GFA place all rolled into one as a reward. I can vouch for how merciless that course can be!!!

Mennania - a PB despite everything. It's been a good few weeks for you sir!!

12/05/2013 at 21:32

Mennania - that's a cracking run after the way you were feeling!

some incredibly fast running going on. I will have to read back fully tomorrow but special mention to Martin. great running. One of the things I love about this thread is nothing stands still and so many improvements being constantly made.

no time to rest on any laurels!

TR
12/05/2013 at 21:39

well done DS2, a patient and well executed campaign.

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 21:39
12/05/2013 at 21:43

Nice running DS2 and Mennania!  That really cheered me up to see you had both run so well.

17m from me this morning and it was pretty easy.  Officially I'm into taper now. I'm off to Japan next week, USA the week after that and then SA the week after that.  Hopefully it will be nice an hot and give me the neccessary heat acclimatisation.

12/05/2013 at 21:44

Yes TR - the best lesson I learned was not to burn too many matches! It paid off today and my legs were strong.

Thanks for your help!

12/05/2013 at 22:59

Well done DS. Brilliant race, fantastic report and gfa banked. You've  really worked hard for that and followed your plan so well.  Really pleased for you. And see - you weren't ill after all! 

12/05/2013 at 23:04

Mennania - forgot to say well done! That's brilliant so soon after London. (Actually that's brilliant at any time. )

12/05/2013 at 23:17

Yes well done Menn- I think we need a full report though...

13/05/2013 at 06:06

Really well done DS2: a negative split! Excellent pacing, just shows how well prepared you were.

Mennania - Great PB, especially considering you weren't feeling tip-top.

PMJ - Really coming back into fearsome form.

Martin - Fantastic running at what is a killer distance - nice one.

13/05/2013 at 06:44

Lorenzo - Congrats to Mrs L and Lorenzito. As for the winner - 15:08! That's phenomenally fast.
GM - good to hear you're off the bench. Take it easy.
Blisters - that's a long time in the saddle!
OO - nice parkrunning and LSR.
Moof - crikey, that's quite a session to say you're only just off the bench. Be careful now.
SD - great tempo run.
Ant - good to hear you've got your mojo back.
Martin - congratulations. Cracking PB and a great report.
Lorenzo - great 10k out on the Common.
AR - good intervals. Interesting to see how you do on Thursday.
literatin - I presumed you meant 41:23! Nice 10 debut.
Speedy - 135 miles in 10 days! You must ready for the taper.
PMJ - well done on the sub 30. You're making steady progress. What's the target for the 10k?
DS2 - great news - well done on bagging the GFA. Really pleased for you.
Moof - my wedding anniversary and my daughter's birthday are in the middle of April, so I can sympathise!
Mennania - congrats on the PB. Look forward to the report.
Bike It - enjoy the taper.
I did 6 miles plus some hill sprints this morning.

13/05/2013 at 08:08

Gul, targets for 10k are pretty much the same as ever and come about from a few whole minute barriers and some oddities of metres and miles:

10k at 90 seconds a lap (pseudo 6 minute miling) that is 37:3010k is really 6.213712 miles and not 6.25 so at 6 minutes a mile that is 37:17

So they are in order:

sub 38:00
sub 37:30
sub 37:17
sub 37:00

Yesterday's run gives 37:40 for a 10k so I'd like 37.xx as a minimum and I'd like to get close to 37:30 but anything better than that will be a bonus.

Where did you find hills this morning for sprints?

13/05/2013 at 08:31

I forgot to congratulate Lorenzo on his 10k (did you make good use of things that you found, things that the everyday folks leave behind?) and Literatin on hers. Well done both.

13/05/2013 at 08:35
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

10k is really 6.213712 miles

Gul Darr is writing (and failed to find the end of the quote marker):

As George would say, silly accuracy!!! And the "hill" sprints were obviously up Knight's Hill.

Edited: 13/05/2013 at 08:36
13/05/2013 at 14:52

Very well done to DS2  Glad it came together on the day.

Wow, 10k season is upon us..

Martin, very impressive outing. Super quick.

Lorenzo, nice 10K and a very exciting summer ahead

Nice one Lit!

PMJ, tasty 5miler in the bag. Form is definitely returning.

Moof, injury prevention is exactly why I started this IM lark with the added bonus of a massive aerobic build for a fast autumn marathon. I suspect though that nothing will protect you from injury when you drop the birthday bombshell!

Half IM simulation yesterday.

1.9k swim in 34:15 with me putting the hammer down in the last 200m. Not a good idea it seems when I jumped straight out of the pool and the sudden move to being upright made me dizzy and I had to lie down for a minute 

Straight onto the bike in the wind and rain for 56miles of wet fun. 3:15 at a steady effort. 

Quick change into the trainers and 10K run (rather than HM on physio's orders) and kept to a steady HR of 138-140 and felt great. Super strong and felt better after the run than when I started! 7:45mm pace (48mins) which I'd be delighted with on the day.  Only problem was that my feet were completely numb for the first 20 mins which was a weird feeling...  Felt ok afterwards, if a bit hungry.

13/05/2013 at 15:04
Great session Slokey. I may have a swim tonight, although it takes me about 40 mins to crawl a mile.
How many times a week do you go to the pool and have you bothered with any lessons.

When I tell Mrs moof I'll make sure the baseball bat is my side of the bed.
13/05/2013 at 17:12

DS2 Cracking report and digging deep when it really matters.

Menn Very pacey indeed. Three weeks after a mara seems to be a great time to PB

SJ Very impressive solo IM and lesson learned. I think you are allowed to feel hungry.

Gulp only 11 months to go

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.