Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,441 to 27,460 of 37,098 messages
18/05/2013 at 16:33

Menn - I just re read your race report and see that it was Christleton and googled it. Was curious to see who the guy was who ran 13:5x and he is a runner of note with a 28min 10k pb and 62min HM. That sort of pace, 4:30 min miles for 5k is phenomenal. I reckon I could do 50 metres at that pace and I would then passout.

18/05/2013 at 17:01

Menn, that's a superb result, and sounds like a great race. Sounds like you ran it well. forget about time you may/may not have gained at the beginning. Scary training paces calculated in Mcmillan from that result.

18/05/2013 at 17:15
Minni wrote (see)

How do those with calf issues X train?  

By running up and down in the pool.  It's very tedious, but not quite as tedious as the turbo. 

KR - I loved your literal interpretation of "the guy sitting on his shoulder". 
Negotiating everyday conversation must be a minefield for you.  I don't mean an actual, real-life minefield.  I just meant.... oh, never mind.

18/05/2013 at 17:20

That quoting box looks a bit peculiar.  But I don't know how to fix it.  Sorry.

Negotiating the Sub 3:15 thread - it's a bloody minefield.

18/05/2013 at 20:26

Had a very busy week so apologies for not reading back more than two pages.

Excellent result Mennania.  PB after PB at the moment.  Well done.

I've started reading Hudson & Fitzgerald and mixing their quality sessions with a few other runs and have ran 39.5 miles this week without noticing.  Looks like a very good book.

Now off on holiday touring Italy for two weeks.

Hope you get a PB next week at Edinburgh Speedy and everyone else racing.  Be your best!!!

18/05/2013 at 20:51

Thats a remarkable run Menn, a PB by a minute for an experienced runner is pretty exceptional. You and AR seem to be on fire at the mo.

Sorry to hear about your calf Minni- hope it's nothing too serious.

I did the parkrun this morning. Came 4th in awful conditions and a reduced field of just over 100 runners. 19:25 doesn't sound too quick but it's the best I've felt for a while, and the closest I've been to my rivals. 15 tomorrow to round off a poor week of 35 miles.

Edited: 18/05/2013 at 20:52
18/05/2013 at 22:07

Quick post to say a big "Woo Hoo". A 3 second PB doesn't sound like much to shout about but I am now officially a sub-19 5K runner. 

Ideal conditions this morning for a parkrun this morning but important that I made the most of it as the course changes from next weekend to one that is a bit more undualting.

Started off briskly and was just ahead of target pace up to half way. The 4th K was tough and a bit slow (4:00) but pulled a 3:38 out of the bag for the final K to end up in 18:58. Mightily chuffed 

Edited: 18/05/2013 at 22:07
18/05/2013 at 22:13

Chuffin' 'ell Menn, that's fast! And only 84th? Yikes. 

First proper track race today. 3000m at the Midlands League Division 1, and they put me in as the A string runner, which seemed fair enough I suppose, given that I beat the other girl by nearly a minute at the road race last week. Scary though, as I wasn't sure what to do tactically. 

The (very loud) gun went and one girl shot off into the distance never to be seen again. I found myself in 3rd and panicked a bit so tucked in behind 2nd even though the pace seemed slow. After 200m or so another girl came past us so I tucked in behind her instead and just followed in her wake for lap after lap. It felt ridculously comfortable and I didn't have a clue what the splits meant that were being shouted out. I can't do that kind of maths! I was wondering if I should go past her, but I didn't know how long I'd be able to maintain a faster pace for. 

After the bell two other girls came past us (one of them being our B string runner). I went with them down the back straight then decided my time had come as they were both breathing pretty heavily. I pulled out past them with 200m to go and pushed for the finish line, finishing strongly. So second place was mine, and it's all about positions rather than time for the team scores anyway. As it happens I'm not sure of my time as I wasn't wearing a watch and they cocked up the provisional results (they'd clearly read the wrong line of the declaration sheet). Hopefully they'll fix that before the official results go on the website  I think it was around 10.56 or 10.57. 

Then the team manager asked if I was free to run the UK Women's League next month. Errrrr, it's only 13 days after my marathon. And I checked out some results from last year and I'd most likely finish last with that time, and I'll be slower then. Not sure about that!

18/05/2013 at 22:15

x-post Lorenzo (took me age to type mine!). We now have matching 5k PBs 

18/05/2013 at 22:24

Very fast 5K Mennania, I agree with OO you and AR are the on form runners at the moment.

20 on a treadmill AR, ye gods!!

Cheers for the link Keir.

Congrats on the PB Lorenzo.

80 miles on the bike for me this morning, I wanted to get up to 100 but ran out of time as I was taking my son swimming. I didn't find the ride hard at all as you can have a good ol' nosh the whole time (one malt loaf and a large flapjack). Definitely easier than a 20 mile run.

After taking my son swimming, which was pretty energy sapping, he wanted to go out on his bike, I'd had enough of that for one day but what  could I do? We were only out for about have an hour when I had a real big dip in energy and was feeling pretty shit. My son even asked if I was ok  which is a first.......I'd boinked on a 3 mile ride. I got my sorry arse home and stuffed a couple of jam sarnies down which eased the shakes and that horrible spaced out feeling.

Edited: 18/05/2013 at 22:25
18/05/2013 at 22:27

Nice racing Speedy.

18/05/2013 at 22:43

Speedy - we may have the same 5K times, but I'm not sure I could get close to you over 3K based on your race today. And second place as well - sounds as though you got the tactics spot on. Fantastic stuff - what sort of marathon time does that convert to? 

Hopefully the weather will be OK for me to get out on the bike tomorrow morning although I won't be in Moof distance territory.

18/05/2013 at 23:29

I don't think there's a conversion calculator in existence that will give a marathon time based on 3k!

19/05/2013 at 05:54

Windy - did you spot the redback whilst out running?
Keir - pleased to hear you're managing to get some decent mileage in again; good luck with the stretching and injury-proofing.
Speedy - sounds like a tough 10k training session.
Poacher - saw a barn owl last week, but don't think I've ever seen a wheatear.
Mennania - good report and great to hear you're already thinking about improving on that stonking time.
GM - good luck with the revision.
Martin - have a great holiday.
OO - good parkrun result.
Lorenzo - congrats on the parkrun PB - sub 19 is a great achievement.
Speedy - fantastic racing. Congrats on 2nd place.
Moof - nice long bike ride.
3 mile recovery run this morning to round off a 49 mile week. Getting nervous now as it's usually around 50 miles when I get myself crocked.

19/05/2013 at 07:05

A Super Saturday for the thread! First-class (first division?) performances from OO and Lorenzo, but I'm sure even they will be happy to stand aside and form a guard of hour for Speedy. As Lorenzo said, what brilliant racing tactics and know-how!

Anyway, really well done all three of you.

Off out for a long-ish (12-14M) run now, hoping it will stop raining soon. 

19/05/2013 at 09:46

And I will second Ants sentiments exactly.  Speedy - I take it it is over the same distance? I wouldn't be dismissing that offer out of hand just yet!

Moof - 80 miles on a bike is a long way.

12 hilly mile done this AM in lovely conditions. I now need to try and establish some kind of plan for the next months coz as it stands I have nowt booked and my schedule is a shambles, I am in danger of using bits and peices of whatever running philosophy that drifts through my transom Seriously though, I need a new focus. Any thoughts?

Edited: 19/05/2013 at 09:47
19/05/2013 at 10:40

Great run Lorenzo. Sub 19 sounds like a good club to join. Lets say yours was the best pacing of the day (parkrun and all that) and Speedy takes best racing of the day, with the tactics of a master.

That bike of moof's is getting some use. Quite like the idea of a picnic on the move.

12 x 400m this morning. Clueless as to how fast to run them so basically went a little faster each time. Next time I will have a better idea

19/05/2013 at 10:47

Mennania -You could just use this new-found freedom to do whatever you fancy for a month or so, mixing it all right up according to what you feel like doing on the day.

In the end I just did 10 miles but more or less replicated next week's HM course by going up 150m in elevation. Unfortunately the normal route you follow once you're up the hill was closed off (landslides due to the heavy rain), so had to come down straightaway and do some flatter miles down in the city. Last mile 6:45mm just to show myself it is still possible.

19/05/2013 at 10:52

Talking of heavy rain and the like, we had the hailstorm to end all hailstorms on Friday, and this was the result in the main street:

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/83537/gallery/68646_10201203279743412_450788232_n.jpg?width=350

19/05/2013 at 12:28

Ant, That's a catastrophe, it even shut Maccie D's.  What time are you aiming for in the HM?

Gul Darr wrote (see)

Windy - did you spot the redback whilst out running?
don't think I've ever seen a wheatear.

Gul, Nah, Redback in backgarden & I've drunk a wheatbeer - does that count?

Swimming this morning around 1/2 mile of splashing, until what little I have of triceps/biceps and pecs completely siezed up.  I'm carp at swimming.

As for this running lark, did a bit, but just nursing my knee - no fast stuff and certainly none planned for another month at least.  Need a healthy base, grumble free.

Menn, OO, Lorenzo, Speedy nice racing.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.