Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,461 to 27,480 of 38,238 messages
22/05/2013 at 06:01

Ant - hope you had a good holiday resting those feet.
GM - sounds like a good way to spend a lunchtime. Good luck giving up smoking.
OG - do you have to do an unplanned 26.2 training run each year or is it okay to schedule it in?
SJ - good restraint.
Bike It - are you still in Japan or have you moved on to California now? You'll soon be in danger of being caught on speed cameras!
KR - yes, that does sound tough, especially at your paces!
Windy - well spotted - I need a bigger screen to read the pie.
3 mile recovery run d&d. Tonight's run looks in jeopardy already

22/05/2013 at 07:14

Windy - it's all authentic. It was baked by the wonderful Mrs L as a post VLM meal. Say what you like about the the finest champagne and oysters; you can't beat PB Pie and a glass of red wine!

MInni - they're still on FB if you're missing them! 

Good radar triggering from Bike It.

5 x 1K reps with 500m recoveries through the suburbs of Doncaster this morning. A necessity rather than a pleasure.

MsE
22/05/2013 at 07:27
Bike It wrote (see)

I ran up Nob Hill this morning.  As you might imagine it was long and hard.  When I compared it to other hills though, it probably wasn't as long as I initially thought.  Then I ran to the middle of the Golden Gate bridge.  On the way back they have a speed display measured by radar - managed to trigger it at 11mph with strides toward it.

...I hit a 1000 miles since New Year at the weekend and now the taper is in full swing.  My legs are all stiff so regular streching, foam roller and massage is going on. Flying to SA on Saturday with my daughter on my lap - I'm not sure how its going to work on the way back

I see you are in SF! If you are in need of a recommendation for sports massage, Graston technique, Active Release Therapy, acupuncture, physiotherapy, Brazilian bikin waxing, or a manicure/pedicure, then do not hesitate to get in touch.

MsE
22/05/2013 at 07:30
Lorenzo wrote (see)

DS2 - yes. I've done Halstead once - a very warm run in which I suffered badly from cramp from about 18 miles and somehow struggled home. 3 times at Abo, including 2 PBs. Even though I didn't make it a hat trick on the third time, I had the pleasure of running most of it with MsE which more than made up for the disappointment. 

Such a lovely marathon with great company which remains firmly embedded in my memory bank, in particular, as I have had to DNS the three I was hoping to run since then!

22/05/2013 at 08:40

Gul Darr - I never put pressure on myself by scheduling in a 26.2 as I always like to complete every yard of every scheduled run. I will just schedule in a 20 and then if it feels right take it to 26.2.

On the other hand I tell myself that I have to complete it to earn my rite to do the race - a sort of "rite of passage". I particularly need this motivation to get me up the last hill at about 17-18 miles just before I turn away from home for the extra 7 miles. Oh, and of course I have to run all the way, any stopping/walking and I am not allowed to do the race!

22/05/2013 at 09:03
Poacher wrote (see)

26.2 on a treadmill, sounds like Also Ran could be the chap for that....

Now to me, a 26.2 treadmill session sounds quite sensible; on the other hand  a 26.2m track marathon would be bonkers mad. That's my thinking.

Good luck with the taper Bike-It. Stay sane

Couple of miles warm up to the track this am, didn't fancy the state of the sandpit track, so 1/2m into the gym to do 10k session #2.  Ran all the miles (1 x 2m, 4 x 1m) in 5:52, but know there is no way at present I could do 6:00 min/m if they were all stitched together.  Anyway Mcmillan steps it up in workout #3.

22/05/2013 at 10:11

What pedals / shoes are you using SJ? Can you loosen the tension on the back slightly to make it easier to unclip?

Get better soon OO.

Like you OG I also enjoy running a 27m in the build up. Probably will be doing it twice this time (but not on a treadmill)!

I bet you were creamed when you got to the top Bikeit. The speed radar sounds like a handy weekly target to measure progress. Surely it is only fair of you sit on her lap on the way home?

Good session there AR. Was it a struggle to maintain 5.52m/m?

I saw a Kite catch a baby rabbit and then fly off with it on my run this morning. It then dropped it and flew off (presumably as it heard me behind it). I really didn’t know what to do. The rabbits legs were kicking, but it looked as if its neck was broken. I know I should have put it out of its misery, but just couldn’t do it.

22/05/2013 at 10:21

Not sure I could have done anything there too Keir. Difficult one. We have loads of Kites around us now, even to the extent that we have the odd local newspaper bonkers headlines "Kite tried to steal my dog"

Session felt ok - started to breath a fair bit more towards the end of the intervals, and looks like the heart rate would have continued rising beyond the intervals had I kept going.  I think my heart and lungs had more in them - but I'm a bit concious of things tightening up around the hips so need a few easy days now.

Edited: 22/05/2013 at 10:22
22/05/2013 at 10:30

KR - Do youn think your running improved as a result of kicking the habit?

Yet again could not drag my carcass out of bed for a run this am. Late nights with my head in the books are killing me. Will have to settle for a 4 mile lunch run, hopefully at about 7:30 pace should be too difficult.

Keir - Tricky one there. I reckon the kite would have come back for it.

22/05/2013 at 10:45

I miss your legs Lorenzo (we can't play the matching game) but closer inspection of your new picture shows a pie with your marathon time on?  Brilliant!

Kier -

Edit:  Sorry Lorenzo I should have read properly. I see it was baked by your wife.  Love it.

Edited: 22/05/2013 at 10:46
22/05/2013 at 13:02

Gerard - I hadn't started running when I was smoking, but did notice having more energy wen I gave up. Goes without saying it will be of benefit. One of the guys on the ASICS competition last yearhad just given up smoking and was using the chewing gum as a deterant. Still see the odd runner now and again having a fag before a race!. All kitted out in their shorts, vest & race number pinned on - not sure how they do it TBH?

22/05/2013 at 13:07

Lorenzo - nice Pbie

GM - Good for you and your missusStick at it

Keir - foot on head and a swift pull with the hind legs dispatches quite humanely. Not pleasant though. Makes the same noise as when you crack your thumb. I have all manner of wildlife and birds visiting my garden as I live halfway up a mountain and back onto a hill.  Buzzards are having a good time at the mo, had a sparrow hawk in my garage last year after the swallow young, also the disturbing sight of a young cuckoo being attended to by a pair of robins a quarter of its size. Nature is quite strange at times.

Just under 6 miles for me - up and down the hill warm up/cool down with three mile repeats off 2 minute recoveries of 5.45, 5.37 and 5.33 respectively. Last one ended up just a bit short as my calf was tightening up and It was bloody hurting. Am planning on two cycles of a 3 week improvement plan for 10ks for the next six weeks or so before settling into a sub 1.20 assault on Lake Vyrnwy mid sept (If I get to it - DNS the last 2 years).

22/05/2013 at 13:19

Menna, your garden sounds like a jolly place to be 

Keir, I'm on shimano spds and had the cleats replaced a few weeks ago so and they feel a bit harder to release so they could probably do with the tension adjusting - good call, I'll have a play before my next ride.

MsE, how's the recovery going?

Nice pie indeed Lorenzo. That could start a trend of people posting numerically modified food products on the thread.

22/05/2013 at 13:35

Surely a skinful of this is what you need to wash that pie down...

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/76130/gallery/pb_beer_bigger.jpg?width=193&height=198&mode=max

22/05/2013 at 14:12

KR - Ah ok, I used to play football at a reasonable level when I was younger and the smoking didn't seem to affect me but obviously it did in ways I didn't know about. It is a no brainer though in terms of  having a positive impact on your health. I saw a couple of chaps having a ciggie before VLM, it's not something I ever did though before a race.

4 mile lunch run for me today, km splits were 4:34,4:35,4:35,4:35,4:34,4:38 and 1:58 for last 430m felt steady but comfortable.

22/05/2013 at 17:12
One Gear wrote (see)

When I went into my house my wife, Julie, said "you have been a long time". I said that I had done the full 26.2 and she said something like "why am I not surprised".

I felt fine and sat down to a full roast dinner.

When I come home from a 26.2 I COOK a bloody roast!!  (At least, I did after Halstead, and after every long Sunday training run ... but that's just what us women do).

Edited: 22/05/2013 at 17:13
22/05/2013 at 17:36

Oh Minks, stop whingeing and get back in the kitchen!! Hubby will be home from work soon and needs his dinner

22/05/2013 at 17:43

DS2 waits for the wrath of the thread women..................

22/05/2013 at 17:45

I'm just impressed that Minks know how to turn on the computer.

22/05/2013 at 19:00

Its OK Keir - her husband has checked its 'OK' first. I wonder how many laps around the kitchen constitutes a mlr?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.