Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

27,501 to 27,520 of 37,213 messages
21/05/2013 at 11:56

Gerard - Halstead is a brilliant event, but pretty tough, I think. I intend to do it every year (done 3 now) but now I have my GFA will do it as a 'nice to do' in future years and target VLM as my A race.

Abingdon is by the Thames in Oxfordshire, although I think it was Berkshire at one time??? It sells out really quickly but it may be possible to pick up a place later on once people decide not to partake. Others on here will know better than me so I wait to stand corrected.

21/05/2013 at 12:42

DS - Thanks for the heads up. I am rubbish at running up hills of any sort. Did some winter training in a very hilly part of Tenerife this year and hated it. I have practised but I just don't seem to get any better at them. Abingdon is something to think about for the future. I'm focusing on the Jesey marathon which is in October and guess what, it's hilly!!

21/05/2013 at 12:49

I love hills Gerard, seem to be good at running up them and often gain places in races.

Stinker of a cold here, might do a slow one tonight but the mid week 10k tomorrow is a definate no show   

21/05/2013 at 13:50

00 you'd like the Jersey mara course then. First 3 miles are flat as a pancake and then you climb for approx 7 miles. There is a 2 mile downhill section between miles 20-22 I will look forward to that bit! Sorry to hear about your cold and missing the 10k but it's the sensible decision.

Another 5k lunch run today, progressive splits 4:30, 4:29, 4:24, 4:13, 4:12. Felt like a good workout and wanted to average 7mm.

21/05/2013 at 15:28

Yikes DS2, that must have been a scary moment. I seem to fall off my bike every other week, mostly due to unclipping faux pas with an occasional head on collision but in future I will console myself with a quick thought of "at least I didn't drown!"

No pictures Lorenzo, thankfully - could have been a YouTube moment if someone was so minded. 

Holiday again Ant? It's no wonder the euro zone is in such a shabby state. Get some work done!

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 15:32
21/05/2013 at 16:42

Indeed it was Slokey. I was a pretty novice cyclist at the time and new to SPD's. Initially I was thankful to be 'saved' but felt somewhat embarrassed shortly after! I think there is little worse than that moment when you realise that you are going to fall and there is nothing you can do - it all seems to happen so slowly!

21/05/2013 at 19:20

Slokey/Gerard/DS2 - Eh? What's that? Sorry, I was having a little nap...when in Rome, and all that.

I went to have some x-rays done recently, to see if there was a day's work in me. The results were inconclusive.

21/05/2013 at 21:33

Lorenzo - wouldn't want to bring the wrath of the running community down on me by recommending such a thing!

It was just one of those "spur of the moment" things whilst out training for my first marathon. I had done about 19 miles of a planned 20 and was a mile from home when I realised that there was a 7 mile loop I could do to make the 26.

Why did I do it?

I wanted to know what it would be like to run the full 26.2 quietly on my own before I did it in front of 100s of 1000s of spectators.

Everybody had told me that you NEVER do the full distance in training.

When I went into my house my wife, Julie, said "you have been a long time". I said that I had done the full 26.2 and she said something like "why am I not surprised".

I felt fine and sat down to a full roast dinner.

Trouble is having done it once it then became one of those superstitious routines that I must do every year - NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR ALREADY!!!

21/05/2013 at 22:09

OG That's impressive- I shall be taking a leaf out of your book and doing more VLSR's before my Autumn marathon but I may just do time on my feet as opposed to 26.2. Looking back at my training schedule for VLM I defo did not do anywhere near enough Long runs.

Debating whether or not to haul my lazy self out of bed in the morning for a 5 miler. Farthest I've run since VLM is 10k.

48hrs and counting, no Ciggies. In an effort to get healthier and shed the habit I am on those E-cigs, they are very strange indeed! 23 years is a loooooonng time and takes getting used to, but I wanna crack this thing. Wonder what effect it will have on my running. I know Noakes used to smoke even when training for marathons. I figure by telling as many folk as possible I will feel even more guilty if I have a relapse.

21/05/2013 at 22:21

All this talk of VLSR's is putting me off doing the 2nd McMillan 10k workout tomorrow (1 x 2M, 4 x 1M). I will hold steady and not vary off course. The superstitious routines is oh so true OG -  I seem to be collecting a load of them in quite a short time which I don't seem to shake off.

Gerard, if Abingdon did interest you, there are generally lots of places being resold (legitimately) once training begins - that was certainly the case last year. Keep up with the no-smoking - could have big pb effects.

21/05/2013 at 22:24

Good man GM - you can do it!

Also, don't get me wrong re Halstead - I thought it was one of the best organised marathons I've done and they had a really nice touch by putting people's names on the race numbers and trying to match the number to the person. It was just a very bad day in the office, not helped by a crazily optimistic pacing schedule!

Abingdon does sell out quickly and I suspect it may well have sold out for this year. Worth getting your name on the waiting list though.

If you fancy a reasonably flat run that also happens to pass through Abingdon, then there's always the Thames Trot in February.

OG - sounds like a recommendation to me!

21/05/2013 at 22:29

Lorenzo - where's your legs??? 

21/05/2013 at 22:32

Well done GM! One day at a time 'n'all that.

OG = nutter.  Like your style  

1 hr swim then 8.25 miles at 7:45mm / HR137 - lovely run along the river in Bristol and ended up in the middle of a proper training group doing intervals. Very impressive young athletes all in their early 20s and showing excellent form. Had to resist the temptation of trying to race them and was a very sensible boy. Reckon I could've taken them though...!

21/05/2013 at 22:49

Cool, thanks Lorenzo & AR, thing is my Wife and I are both EX smokers now so we have decided it's all or nothing & we are both going for it. Mood swings are a bit of an issue at the mo but the pro's far outweigh the cons. Hopefully will also be able to chip off some time over various distances too.

Had a look and Ab's is sold out but I'm doing Jersey in Oct so maybe one to remember for the future. May do Dublin next year though and think that falls in Oct too. Thames trot isn't that a 50 miler??

Anyone interested in ultras there is a 48 miler in Jersey in August, it's a mixture of trail and road and it's on http://www.roundtherock.co.uk/.

21/05/2013 at 23:08

Also-ran - what's worrying me is, because of you, I found myself looking at treadmills whilst at the local shopping mall.

Maybe next year I will do my 26.2 VSLR in February on a tread mill. Of course I am joking but worryingly it has a suitably crazy ring to it.

So how many people are now going to post on this forum that they do that during training - guaranteed there will be someone out there!!!

21/05/2013 at 23:14

I ran up Nob Hill this morning.  As you might imagine it was long and hard.  When I compared it to other hills though, it probably wasn't as long as I initially thought.  Then I ran to the middle of the Golden Gate bridge.  On the way back they have a speed display measured by radar - managed to trigger it at 11mph with strides toward it.

Nice work GM - keep it up

And a very nice marathon there Poacher

I hit a 1000 miles since New Year at the weekend and now the taper is in full swing.  My legs are all stiff so regular streching, foam roller and massage is going on. Flying to SA on Saturday with my daughter on my lap - I'm not sure how its going to work on the way back

21/05/2013 at 23:18

26.2 on a treadmill, sounds like Also Ran could be the chap for that....

There's no need to run the full distance in training for a mara, even experienced hands rarely go over 23 or 24.  The full monty increases the risk of  injury, and if done too fast would impact on other more useful training and on race day if it's not far off.  But if you aspire to ultra distances such as 48m round Jersey or 50 along the Thames then the trad 18-20m LR doesn't cut the mustard.

Ant - take the rest of the week off, it's not like the Spanish economy is that busy at the moment is it?

21/05/2013 at 23:29

Xpost Bike It - that is one heck of a travel schedule- good luck in SA, and most importantly "don't be sh!t"

22/05/2013 at 00:01

Nasty habit Gerrard and a tough one to give up! It took a while for me to give up and I found the nicotine patches worked best for me - and a bit of will power. Good luck.

Good luck with the 10k workout AR. I did a rejigged version tonight with 2 miles in 6.12 / 5.57, then 8 x 800m av pace 2.50's -  a tough workout!

Like the fact you set off a speed display Bike It!

Edited: 22/05/2013 at 00:01
22/05/2013 at 01:28

Lorenzo is that a computer generated 3:11:06 on the pie or has somebody actually made you a PB pie?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.