Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

28,001 to 28,020 of 38,250 messages
12/06/2013 at 08:27

Thanks AR. I did wonder if that was the case. We were visiting a Uni for my daughter at the weekend and the rowing club was full of those machines. I shall look to see if I can pick one up on ebay.

Gul - I iced it regularly last night and applied some ibuprofen gel and it seems much better this morning. I shall of course be careful. Don't want to scupper my Abingdon marathon training before it's even started. Nice early miles!

SJ - I'll try to take a good look on there this evening. Hopefully, I'll have a bit of spare time. Thanks for the heads up!

12/06/2013 at 10:48

Hi all,been lurking whilst I get my base back up to 30+ miles post VLM with very little of interest to report.

A number of noteworthy efforts particularly SJ, the track work by Jools and Speedy and the benevolence of GM. I plan to pace people myself and am toying with the Chester Full later on in the year as I dont plan on racing a Mara this year (presently).

10 x 400 in 76/78 secs for me yesterday in prep for Sundays 10k on Sunday. Modest build up of miles is leaving the legs fatigued and a little prone to niggles but to be expected.

Have entered Lytham Half in July so something else to target

12/06/2013 at 13:15

What time are you shooting for Menna?

12/06/2013 at 13:26

I'm still writing my report.  Actually I am thinking about why I slowed so significantly in the final third of the race and why I broke down completely with 4km to go. I'm in a new search to understand how to train for the last third of the ultramarathon and not the first two thirds. I'm considering a bit of an experiment for the next marathon - it involves more strength training and less running.

I'm not running at the mo due to my calf having something unmentionable going on.  So I started some strength training today.  The farmers walk (walk carrying 2 dumbells) is the way forward - easy on the legs but a good work out for the core.

Nice work on the HM GM - if you can make run that time comfortably then no reason why you shouldn't target sub 3:15 on the next marathon outing.

12/06/2013 at 13:34

Interesting HM race Gerrard and a fine pace you put in to catch up your friend again!

Tasty 400m reps Menn, good luck for Sunday.

12/06/2013 at 13:59

Menn - Good to hear that you are thinking about pacing as well. I would like to do a full mara as a pacer one day but need to run a few more myself first. Look forward to hearing about your 10k. Are you targetting a specific time?

Bike it - I think I may have mentioned to you before that my brother in law lives in SA nad has 12 Comrades medals. He was a sub 3 marathoner in his prime and he only ever managed a sub 9 hour finish twice. This guy trains hard and is still extremely fit but he two has suffered in the last stretch of various different ones. I will ask him next time I speak to him how he trains specifically for that sort of thing.

5k lunch run for me today just over the 20 mins, felt nice and not too fast.

12/06/2013 at 15:39

BikeIt, I remember hearing an interview with an ultra runner who lives on one of the Scottish islands and his approach was to cut his volume right down but do his training runs wearing a chain mail vest! He also did a lot of strength work on top of this. It would be an interesting experiment. Won't be long before we're all running up hillsides carrying anvils!

12/06/2013 at 16:05

Hi chaps, entered a post and lost it.....

PB is 17.35 on a hily route 2 weeks before VLM so should be high 16.xx but unsure which end as my 5k pb of 17.29  converts to a low 16.xx. Prob going to set of slap bang in the middle and adjust after 4k or so depending on how fresh I feel, but based on recent efforts I seem to have lost a bit of fitness/pace somewhere along the way.

12/06/2013 at 16:11

Slokey - that's William Sichel who has about 60 WRs in various age groups for ultra-endurance things like 6 days events or 1000mile events.  He's coming up for 60 but can outpace anyone on here.

He does stuff like 15minutes carrying his own body weight, 3 hour runs with 20kg of weight (chain mail or weighted vest),epic strength sessions in his shed, heat acclimatisation in his self made system. He trains 18 hours a week but only runs 40-60 miles, meaning he is probably doing around 10 hours of non running training.

I've got duct tape and a bag of sand in the garage to make a nice durable sandbag for a start

Cheers GM - any tips from SA legends are appriciated, particulary Green Numbers

12/06/2013 at 18:52

That's the chap!

12/06/2013 at 20:18

Usual 2nd Wednesday of the month handicap today, the one I won last month as my handicap had improved greatly during my injury. No such luck today, handicap was 7 minutes for a 2.3 mile course and that leaves me needing to run a perfect race and hope nobody else has a blinder. Came in 14th so not too bad and I was faster than last month which is also good. Odd thing is the racing mojo has gone, first showed up on Sunday and then again today. Looking at my calendar, I have now done 20 weeks on the trot with 40 miles or more and clocked up 900 miles in those weeks.

I guess I need a rest and luckily I have a week in Italy with daughter #3 as an end of GCSE celebration trip. It will be an odd trip, no running kit as I am not allowed to leave a teenage daughter alone in Italy and she also has a flute exam so she is taking a flute and will be practising as we travel about. I reckon we can make money playing at the Spanish Steps and other tourist attractions. Checked with the airlines and you can take a device that is metal, hollow and assembles to a long, regular tube and there is no issue with that: still can't take nail clippers though.

12/06/2013 at 21:00

Mennania - See you (and Fraser) at Lytham, then! Btw, that's a pacy 10k PB you've got there .

The weather has turned decent at last and so my reps session was at 8.00 a.m., but in 20ºC of heat. I did 5 x 1000 in 3:44-3:48, trying to keep it controlled and even paced.

This foot of mine is still giving me gyp, but is runnable on. What exactly was your problem, Minni, and how did you solve it apart from not running?

12/06/2013 at 23:04

Ultra training - Chain mail vest!  Popping out for a walk carrying a pair of dumbells!

Nice reps Ant.

Mennania- I'm confused.

Lorenzo- Newbury 200k sportive, I'm in!  What better way to celebrate my 46th Birthday. You'll recognise me as I'll be the only bloke with hairy legs.

I did some running today, 9 miles along the canal this evening and also did some hill repeats on my bike at lunch time. They were tough.

Blisters    pirate
12/06/2013 at 23:04

PMJ:
You can take the components for an UZI 9mm in your hold luggage (may need a bit of paper) so long as the firing pin is in your hand luggage.

I was talking to a chap who was an international shooting competitor. Sh1t loads of paperwork. Guns in locked cases in the aircraft hold. They get to Florida, and the guns come straight up the normal luggage conveyor and round the carousel. They were extremely pi... annoyed, as these devices cost over 10 grand a pair. Look up Holland and Holland, gunsmiths. My computer's just thrown up a restricted report to the powers that be. The Firm is watching me.

As for nail clippers, you might just terrorise the Stewardess.

13/06/2013 at 00:17

Ant - still not sure exactly what the problem was with the calf but basically not running seemed to sort it. I had a heavy weekend of cross trainwith along with 1m Sat, 2m Sun, 3m Mon, 4m Tue, then today I did 2 mikes off road this morning and was keen to try the road tonight. Did 2.5 with 0.5 a bit slower then 1m @ 8:04 and 1m @ 7:43 with no pain at all.  In fact I don't think I could have made it hurt if I'd wanted to. So, very happy.    Hope the foot sorts itself out. I ran through PF for about a year a couple of years ago. Running didn't make it worse so just kept going. Hope yours gets better soon. 

13/06/2013 at 06:33

Mennania - very speedy 400m intervals. I presume Sunday's 10k is a 5k?
GM - good 5k - might have to consider lunchtime runs myself as evenings are just not working out.
PMJ - how will you survive without nail clippers? A week in Italy sounds appealing.
Ant - good reps.
Moof - hill repeats on a bike sounds like torture.
Minni - steady progress.
10 steady miles this morning - legs feeling tired - still over a week to go to cut-back week.

13/06/2013 at 07:24

Good to see you recovering Minni. My schedule is built around the Newburn 6.5 miler next Wednesday- I'll be on the track tonight.

I've forgotten what you are training for Gul but I see you are pileing on the miles.

13/06/2013 at 08:14

Blisters, I fly round Texas a lot and the signs at check in say: "It is a federal offence to carry a loaded handgun onto the plane." Such a variation across the world.

13/06/2013 at 15:32

Moof et al - I am a typing tool. Got myself all confused and others too. replace all the 1s with a 3 except the 1 which is a 5k 1 and it makes sense. So I am gunning for 36.xx and will start out at 36.30 pace and go from there.

Nice reps Ant and see you there. Glad things are improving on the niggle side for both you and Minni.

13/06/2013 at 16:27

Menn - I presumed that was what you meant. I am sure you will do it! Is it a tough course?

Nice reps ANT! Are you planning an attack on a 10k soon?

Gul - I am astonished at the mileage you cover whilst the rest of the UK is sleeping. What are you training for at the mo?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.