Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

28,001 to 28,020 of 37,190 messages
07/06/2013 at 21:17

Jools, I'm also down for the 3000 and the 1500 this weekend, but I've ended up running the UKWAL on Saturday rather than the Midlands League this time round. God only knows why I agreed to such madness!

Minni, I really hope you get it sorted soon

07/06/2013 at 21:25

That sounds like a terrific place to run Slokey...

I read a stat a while back suggesting that the vast majority of visitors to the Lake District never stray more than 1m from a main road. Seems a shame really, and one wonders why they buy all that rufty tufty outdoor gear in Keswick & Ambleside and don't test it out.

Joolska - an hour stretching. Yikes.

BTW whoever wrote the spellcheck programme for IPad should hang his/her head in shame.

10m tonight, running along the A6 is such a joy. 

07/06/2013 at 21:29

3 miles on the track for me- final session for Blaydon. In the car all day tomorrow, collecting my daughter from Manchester Uni as her 1st year ends.

07/06/2013 at 21:39

It would be a hell of a run from Keswick OO. Good luck at Blaydon!

I'm off to Wales tomorrow for the Rhyl Tri - Olympic distance warm up for Outlaw. Excited!

07/06/2013 at 21:58

Good luck SJ. Remember to pack 2 elastic bands!

I've had a ridicously busy time recently and not read back since the weekend. Tomorrow I am out all day to do Tough Mudder. (check out the video on the site). I was persuaded to enter by the fact that there is no finishers medal - just a beer! 

07/06/2013 at 22:02

Tough mudder is not my idea of a good time. The beer sounds good though!

Elastic bands?

Blisters    pirate
07/06/2013 at 22:47

Proper running training day today, because I felt like being a runner.

15 miles at "bouncy" pace. It started as 7:30s, but was kept within 8:00s apart from the fertiliser stop. No fuel or fluid taken, and the last bit was a fight, but pace and HR comparisons were interesting to last week's 23 miler. Total was 2:02, passing 13.1 in 1:43. Ave HR was 135, ave pace 7:56.

The Hr profile when compared to last week's 23 miler shows some interesting data
- between 2 and 3 miles to warm up the HR.
- from that point, the HR rises gradually by 10.
- today I did 15 @ 8m/m ave 135hr
- last week I did 23 @ 8:24m/m ave 130Hr

So, the Massey Fergusson needs some bedding in to get back to 3:15 pace unless it's my lucky day. In that regard, miles make champions. Another view is that today's MLR left the leggies feeling that they had worked for their living. No rush, no injury.

08/06/2013 at 00:15

Hope it's wet for your tough mudder Keir - good luck! Does it still go ahead if it is dry?

08/06/2013 at 05:56

Nice run Blisters. The good thing about Massey Fergusons is that even when left rotting in a barn for years, with a bit of TLC they can have their day in the sun  again. Keep on tractoring I say

08/06/2013 at 06:34

I am doing the 'not quite so tough' dry and summer condition Tough Mudder KR. 

Elastic bands for your shoes SJ. 

08/06/2013 at 06:51

OO - good luck at Blaydon.
Jools - sounds like a tough schedule. Hope you're recovered in time for Sunday.
SJ - sounds like an idyllic run. Very jealous. Good luck in Wales today.
Speedy - and good luck to you too.
Poacher - never more than 1M from a main road?! That's unbelievable.
Keir - I'm sure there are easier and cheaper ways of getting a beer!
Blisters - good sensible running.
15 miles d&d at silly o'clock this morning. Out in the middle of nowhere singing Supper's Ready at the top of my voice when I turned a corner to see a dozen bemused looking cyclists - I probably turned a nice shade of beetroot juice. Discoverd when I got home that the sole of one of my shoes is hanging off. Oh well, they were only Aldi specials and did 496 miles (so that's about 3p a mile!) 51 miles for the week

08/06/2013 at 07:20

Speedy: I can't do UKWAL as I have a concert today.  The last I heard our team was a bit sparse, so I've no idea who your B&W oppo will be in either event!

08/06/2013 at 07:41

Notts have had to split the team over the three track leagues we do, hence I'm the B runner in the UKWAL. I think the plan is to have a strong A runner in each league and the B runner is just there to pick up any points that may be available. In fact in Midlands Division 6 I don't think we even have a B runner in any of the events other than sprints. 

08/06/2013 at 08:59

Good tip Keir. I'm still in the "put your shoes on and then get on the bike" camp though I'm afraid 

Impressive early running again Gul!

08/06/2013 at 12:05

18M very steady for me (8.11m/m on a pretty flat course) to try and maintain some sort of balance between keeping the mileage up but not completely trashing the legs before tomorrow's track efforts.

Speedy: we're div 2 in Midlands and I don't think our team is too sparse.  I think I'm the B runner for both.

Blisters    pirate
08/06/2013 at 14:08

Jools, that's a very impressive opening line. Just looking at my stats and realising that I'm playing in a different league now, 2 divisions below you folks.

Gul, impressive on just so many levels. The one that stands out is that you know the words to classic Genesis tracks. The Aldi shoe story reminds me of the inimitable Barnsley Runner, who liked paper thin shoes and aimed to develop his running style to be able to cope with them.

One week to my half ironman.

Swam 3 laps of Cotswold Lake 32. A total of 2250m. I have realised that I may have to lock up my bike in transition. Not only am I going to be last out of the water, I'm going to be so late they might think the bike's been abandoned. I guess I'll be able to find it easily enough.
30 miles on the bike, mostly in aero tuck. Pesky wind. Got navigationally confused a few times, so the pace wasn't all it could have been. Legs feel exercised.

08/06/2013 at 17:25

After much dithering about whether I was well enough to run today, I loaded up on pharmaceuticals, and headed out at 6am in search of the South Downs Marathon. Billed as a point to point trail race, with 5,700ft climb, and 5,500ft decent I was keen to try something different.

Parked up at the Finish point, and we were whisked off to the start by coach. Hung around Slindon College for toilets, croissant and coffee. Really nice surroundings. Went off into dark corners to deal myself drugs and to take swigs of cough medicines. Relay Race started at 9am, and then the Marathon Runners were off at 9.30am.

First 400m was on a grass track, followed by a mile of flat woodland. My objective was to run it as any other LSR, which I run easy, and without gels/energy. I took a load of gels just in case as I had a crappy week.

After the running track I felt I was working really hard, then the same with the flat mile, and coming to the first hill I was definitely overworking. I realised I was chasing the leaders and had forgotten the objective; I was in no racing condition anyway. So, I gave myself a big talking too, and got back to sensible pacing. Nice steady pace, with no gels/energy drinks needed.

The race goes through a series of climbs and decents. This was a fantastic course and I really loved the scenery, infact I wish I had taken a camera to this one. Some of the climbs are fairly brutal, and the downhills often too steep to not put the breaks on so the poor quads took a bit of a hammering. I'm not convinced we climbed 5,700ft though - but I'm not complaining.

Ended up back where we parked up in 3hr:27min, to receive medal, decent technical t-shirt, goody bag etc. Lots of food vans laid on to pig out, sports retailer, massage etc. Quality race organisation from 2:09 Events. Definitely do it again, but I'm not sure if I would have the balls (current thread parlance) to race it, whether I felt well or not. I'm sure the winner had big balls.

08/06/2013 at 19:57

Sounds like an excellent LSR/race AR and a very good time for not racing.

KR - Congrats to little KR.  I heard about that trip on Radio Leicester.  Same races targeted as me. I also use Cooks Lane for hill reps.  Only race issue is a potential session at a 20/20 match the day before Prestwold.  Hoping to duck out of all day drinking in the hope of another PB!!

Gul - Cracking early doors running.  I remember the joke.  Pleased it was only a joke!!!

Good luck with your racing Speedy and Jools (nice warm-up..18miles!!!)

Hope all goes well tomorrow OO and all went well today Keir.

Good session Blisters.  If you are locking your bike make sure you remember the key/combo!!!

10 mile x-country run for me this morning which ended up as just over 12 miles as I am crap at navigating and working out how far it is to get home.  Nice run though!!

08/06/2013 at 21:32

Not another marathon AR, (suppose this is a mara thread). Still a decent time even though you weren't racing and recovering from a lurgy, makes me feel guilty for not getting off me bed ridden arse for VLM.

Good luck with the Tri tomorrow Slokey.

Are you ready for the half IM Blisters?

Good luck to Speedy and jools tomorrow and anyone else racing, OO?

Alternative days running and riding (ohh eh!) this week seems to be ok for my annoying niggles. Although an 8 mile run on Wednesday felt a lot further than it should, just shows how quickly the endurance running fitness drops when you're not on it consistently.

85 miles on the bike this morning with a fair bit of climbing, felt pretty comfortable. One emergency pit stop but I'll spare you the details, although its a right ol'' faff getting out of that bike gear clobber!

I'll try a decent run tomorrow.

08/06/2013 at 21:49

Moof - impressed that you feel comfortable after 85 miles in the saddle. Looked like it was gorgeous out there today.

AR - so just a gentle sub-3:30 marathon on a hilly course. Not too shabby!

Hope Keir had a good time today - photos expected

Good luck to Jools and Speedy tomorrow.

Parkrun for me this morning - not feeling in tip top condition (tired legs and not much sleep for the last few nights) so wasn't expecting much. Run lived up to expectations as I finished in 19:30, the only consolation being a nice even split and 1st place in the age category, just pipping a mate of mine who I'd taken along for his first parkrun. Couldn't bear the thought of losing local bragging rights so had to put a big sprint finish in. Felt very strange running without the Garmin or a watch.

Planning a couple of hours on the bike with elder Lorenzito tomorrow morning - hoping for an early start so that he can get back in time to get in his session of GCSE revision!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.