Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

28,181 to 28,200 of 37,152 messages
20/06/2013 at 09:30

Yes I think she passed me in Newburn AR

20/06/2013 at 13:17

Looks like GFA places for VLM should be open from 24th June (next Monday). See website.

20/06/2013 at 14:42

Afternoon all.

Looks like everyone is enjoying their summer runnin' (had me a pla-aan....)

Glad to see you're getting some abdominal torture in after your leg thrashing Bike It

Wicked 10k from Menna and a nice treadmill effort from AR

How are the the Lytham team shaping up ? Are we going to go for a one-two-three of podium domination on the day chaps ?? Not sure how fit I'm feeling these days but looking forward to the  day out by the seaside

Very impressed with the level of literature being read. I'm more Peter and Jane Book 5B according to my wife....

HMP session later to see where I'm at

20/06/2013 at 20:24

Another 10 this evening. No commuters overtook me. This weeks experiment:  I've been running doubles to see how I take to it. I don't think this is my future; work is suffering, too much kit to wash, too many showers, oh and I'm knackered all the time. Respect to those who cope.

TR
20/06/2013 at 23:00

AR - start out with 5 and 5 for a while and take it nice and slow. Thats what I do when I start my commutes in January, I build up to the 15 inc MP and 5 on a Weds.

20/06/2013 at 23:18

Since when has it been de rigeur to shower and wash kit between runs when doing a double? 

Actually if you keep odd hours, doubles area handy way to get the miles in.

21/06/2013 at 06:41

OO - don't panic. I'm sure that overall your form is returning.
Lorenzo - Hugo's digressions are legendary! There actually is a point to that particular one, even though it only really needs a couple of pages!
JD3 - that interval session will build good leg strength.
AR - I've more or less given up on my Weds doubles.
7 slow miles this morning. Hoping the forecast for tomorrow morning is wrong otherwise it's going to be dark when I set out with all those rain clouds

21/06/2013 at 07:14

Yes weekend weather has arrived

21/06/2013 at 12:36

The only doubles I do are an in and home to work  too but dont involve showers or kit changes - just a quick flannel in the bogs.

Frazer - Have suffered with niggles since Sundays 10k so just one run for me this week. Stomach strain was painful enough last night to make  me turn round and go home after 1k instead of the hilly 6 or 7 I had planned. Heat pad has since been purchased. It will be a very poor turnout if I get anywhere near a podium.

21/06/2013 at 13:41

Are bookmarks a thing of the past in RW?  Mine have all disapeared.

Thanks OO for the pointer to the GFA entry opening.  VMLM sounds too much of a mouthful so are we sticking to call it VLM?

Spinning again yesterday - different instructor to previous.  Her favorite word seemed to be 'faster'.  It surprises me how well I respond to being pushed to go faster by somone else.  The second half of the session was all standup cycling at high resistance whilst dropping low or pushing up over the bars - killer.

Dumbells and kettlkebell in the park for lunch today.

21/06/2013 at 14:22

Just noticed my bookmarks have gone as well, Bike It.  Perhaps they want us all to 'follow' threads instead...

Bit of a busy week again, with two round trips to Plymouth, but as long as I do 9M today, 10M tomorrow and 18M on Sunday, I'll hit 60!  P&D starts on Monday, which means only 18 weeks until Frankfurt.  The two months since VLM have flown by!

21/06/2013 at 14:29

they are still there intermittently, but I am having probs too. Have thought about joining a spin class for xt stuff Bike It - sounds pretty useful.

21/06/2013 at 15:08

Today was the day to give that final 10k Mcmillan session a go as its about 9 days out  from my next race - that's the 3x2M @10k pace session

I did my 3 miles warm up trying to pluck up courage to start, then hit the first rep which was 11:35.3 and all was well. Second rep came around very quickly and managed 11:32.9, but right hamstrings felt tight towards the end. Spent most of the recovery period stretching, and then started rep 3. Lasted .25M and needlike / stabbing pains arrived, so  I immediately binned the Rep. Shame as after 55miles earlier  in the week I was feeling good.  I guess I pushed myself too much.

Managed some slow jogging without any problems, so some ice and rest, and then back to plodding for a few days is prescribed.

In good news, I passed my Million Metre rowing target and am now the bearer 1 x T-Shirt (Million Metres Club). I'm going places.

TR - I may do some more doubles in marathon training - the 5+15 appeals on my medium long run day.

21/06/2013 at 21:07

Bad luck on that last rep, AR - as you say, take it a bit easy for a few days and you'll be fine.

Gul - I'm now onto Zola's "Therèse Raquin". If 7:10 feels good over 10M in training, you're in very good shape.

No running at all since Sunday for me as I nurse this foot of mine. I did some static bike and swimming instead, and quite enjoyed it, but the foot doesn't seem to be any better to be honest, so now I'm even doubting if it's got anything to do with running. I'm going to start again tomorrow and if I get through a 6-8 miler without limping, will just carry on regardless.

Fraser - But - oooohhhh - those sum-uh-mer...niggg-ulllllllsssss!

21/06/2013 at 22:02

Hard to avoid putting strain on your foot when running AR, best take it easy if it hurts during your session.

You too AR, take it easy.

Good going Jools, do you feel ready for Frankfurt?

Topsy turvy week, not sure what the parkrun will bring. Vouchers arrived for 2nd V50 at Newburn  

21/06/2013 at 22:33

AR, sounds like a tough session! Not surprised that things started to twang a bit by the end. Hope it's nothing serious.

Thanks for the GFA news OO, I might actually enter for next year!

Jools, I'm hoping to run Frankfurt too but I won't be starting focussed training for a few weeks yet. 

Week 1 of the taper: 1.5hrs hilly ride this morning then a 1hr trail run after lunch followed by open water swim at tea time.

4hr ride tomorrow then 2hr run on Sunday. 

Blisters    pirate
21/06/2013 at 23:03

Jealous

Had to do a full day's work, like a real paid up member of society. Fecking shock to the system I tell yer. Left client at 1745. ON A FRIDAY. I shall admit it here that I did enjoy the most beautiful drive through fantastic Wilts/Glos cycling country, a straight north line discovered by Tom (Tom) for an hour or more. Unfortunately I got a "where have you been" bollocking from the Mrs who assumed I'd been jollying (training) when I got home at 7pm. She's been in a bad mood all week. Sorry, I'm offloading. Training blanks again.

Right
Frazerelli, HMP session? That sounds godawful tough.
Also, Man up. Just sniff the kit and let it stand in a corner until you've got a big enough pile. For goodness sake, this isn't the sub three thread. 2 vests, 2 shorts, 4 socks. Not hard is it? The washing machine is the white thing in the corner. Save eleccy, and acquire a 3rd set of kit if it bothers you.
Jools, I am so pleased that you are holding up, and the talk of a (rear end loaded) 60 mile week is an absolute commitment to the cause. Your mental strength is something that is not adequately applauded. Are you planning 50/50/60 weeks or is it 60/60/70?
AvO Take it steady, Lytham/Southport isn't that exciting. We don't want you broken.

22/06/2013 at 03:02

Jools  - that will be some going in three days!
AR - take care now.
Ant - Therèse Raquin was the first Zola I read and it's excellent.
Just about to set off on my sub 3:15. Weather looks atrocious.

22/06/2013 at 05:36

0302? Out-Gulled himself.  Respect.   Someone call Guinness World Records.

22/06/2013 at 05:40

Hi Poacher. Just got back. 16 slow miles d&d - longest run in nearly 2 years. 53 miles this week - highest in over 3 years. Now drying out.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.