Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

28,221 to 28,240 of 37,874 messages
27/06/2013 at 07:45

Speedy, that 10k at 5k pace looks to be a very hard session. I struggle to do 6x800 at 5k pace which is 4800m of effort. If your legs forgive you then totally agree your 5k PB will get remodelled soon.

Midweek summer 5k series for me yesterday evening. The course is one I raced in 2011 (17:52 and my po10 5k PB) and 2012 (19:22, in the middle of the PF crisis last year when limping was vogue) so a course of highs and lows.

Came out at 18:05 in the end with quite even splits of 3:25, 3:25, 3:41, 3:41 and 3:43. Splits do tell the tale, spirited start, then gradual decline and in the end a lack of dedication to push on a grass and track course when I have another race tomorrow which is officially measured and on flat tarmac.

27/06/2013 at 09:41

I just couldn't complete that session at full 5k pace Speedy and I figure that you will annihilate your current 5k PB when next tested.

Nice warm up for the main event PMJ.

Enjoy tonights race GM.

Am trying to get fit for Saturdays Marathon. Starts in local pub at 10am  to watch the Lions and then goes on to sister in  laws 50th birthday bash at 2pm - I am not expecting to be at my Personal Best by the end of the night 

27/06/2013 at 10:04
Pace yourself Mennania! Let's hope we can go 2-0 up.
27/06/2013 at 12:23

Those look like my splits these days PMJ, slowing in the 2nd half- but just age with me I think.

Have a blast Mennania

27/06/2013 at 21:02

Mennania - please tell us you are doing an inverse taper in preparation for your marathon.

Reading your session Speedy, I both feel very ill and guilty.  Ill at the thought of doing it and guilty because I know I should do more of that if I want to get better.

Nice work Jools on your 5k PB.  Ditto about the pain of the short stuff - I think I really must try to start doing short distances as well.  If only I could run.

I've been sick for the last day and a half.  It's good that I'm not running at the moment and didn't have to drop any sessions.  I got my acceptance for the VLM so I went and paid.  They sent me an email back to say I've been accepted for the Championship start which I am 100% sure is a mistake.

27/06/2013 at 21:11

Nice 5k PMJ! You were doing 17:05 pace for the 1st 2k, was that your intention to go out so hard? Good luck for tomorrow! What's the target?

New PB for me tonight 18:55. Splits were 3:43, 3:54, 3:46, 3:52 & 3:40. Really pleased to go sub 19 for 1st time and it was not a flat course. Last mile was tough with 3 hills and a headwind for the last 1k but the last 100m was downhill, thank goodness!

Menn - Enjoy yourself!

27/06/2013 at 21:59
Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

Nice 5k PMJ! You were doing 17:05 pace for the 1st 2k, was that your intention to go out so hard? Good luck for tomorrow! What's the target?

Nice 5k yourself, and I have given up on hard 5ks, only flat and fast are taken seriously.

I find that a 5k needs to be hit hard. Even pace 3:35 comes in at 17:55, even pace 3:40 comes in at 18:20. I am targeting 17:51 so need faster that 3:35 even and I know I will slow so my tactic is to start at 3:30 or faster for the first 2k and that  means 7 minutes at 2 k and 11 minutes for the last 3 (3:40 pace) and then any change I get is an improvement on 18 dead.

I realise I could maybe eek out  a few secodns by going off a it slower but getting low 18s is not the aim, it needs to be sub 18 so I have to start fast and then every so often I finish fast as well.

27/06/2013 at 22:54

PMJ - Agreed, I also believe 5k's must be run hard! Good luck for tomorrow!!

27/06/2013 at 23:16

I echo Bike It's sentiments - such great sessions as Speedy's are the kind of thing I should be doing, especially at this time of the year. 

But there's always something in the way, isn't there? Just at the time I was starting to get used to doing faster stuff -or maybe because of this- I picked up this foot niggle. Luckily it seems to be nearly gone, but it means that for my two upcoming HMs in England my specific training will be limited to a couple of sessions involving 5-10k @ HMP and maybe some 1k reps @ 10k pace. It's no good moaning, though -  I'm pleased just to be running relatively pain-free again.

Fantastic 5k action from PMJ and Gerard. I agree with the former's race strategy of getting a couple of fast kms in then hanging on for dear life while blowing out of all available orífices (and some unavailable ones, too).

28/06/2013 at 06:21

PMJ - good luck with today's 5k.
Mennania - all the best with the ultra.
Bike It - an accidental Champs start can't be bad!
GM - congrats on the sub 19, especially on a tough course. You should be really chuffed with that - all those lunchtimes have paid off.
3 easy miles for me this morning. Hoping to do parkrun tomorrow. Sub 19 is my goal, but I'm still aiming to reign it in a bit at the start. The first mile in my last parkrun was 5:58, which I think is about 18:32 pace - a bit too OTT.

28/06/2013 at 09:04

I'm still shaking my head. I can never see a time when I would voluntarily to 10k's worth of distance at 5k pace. That session blows my mind.  The closest I got was almost 10k's worth of intervals at slightly quicker than 10k pace. You club runners are crazy!

13 MLR this am, and tested out the hamstring with 1M at 5:50 pace. Everything felt a bit tight and heavy. Not sure yet if I will race my 10k yet.

Great 5K running PMJ and Gerard. Having done a total of one 5K race, all I remember is not being able to focus on my watch due to the pain of racing. 

Good luck tomorrow with the sub19 Gul, and at the other end of the spectrum, Menna with his 'ultra' - I am sure you will keep hydrated.

28/06/2013 at 09:18

I did some 5k stuff of my own this morning, although in my case it was within a 6-miler, to test out HMP or what might be feasible . Anyway, 20:23 suggests I should be able to do about 1:28 with a bit of luck and good weather on the Lancashire coast.

28/06/2013 at 09:27

Last night I made a little video montage of the footage I made during Comrades.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5QrkmSspak

28/06/2013 at 11:13

PMH and GM - Nice 5king - well done on the PB GM.

Good luck with the parkrun Gul My very limited experience of 5ks is that they are a suffer fest however you approach them but did read the first and last 5k should be your fastest.

Ni running for a couple of days due to a virus knocking me about - but it has given the other niggles a bit of time to fade - Off to fizz now for a bit of poking and prodding.

No running means I have started my reverse taper with a set of Peroni Intervals, 30 mins a bottle with a 2 min rest - 4 nr reps and a SB cool down. Intend to carbo load today.

28/06/2013 at 11:36

Ant  - when is your race and what's it called? 20:23 in training is quick and I hope you hit your target.

Thanks AR - I mostly race 5k's as living on a small Island you are very limited as to what you can do. Would like to do a half sometime as my PB is 1:30 and I would like to get nearer 1:27. Jersey marathon training starts next week, can't believe it's only 14 weeks away! Plan is to do more long runs this time.

Bike It - I look forward to seeing your Comrades footage!  Nice luck with the VLM start!

Gul - Hope you get your sub 19!

Anyone else racing this w/end?

28/06/2013 at 14:33

Lunchtime 5k race in Hyde Park. 3.5 miles jog out as a warm up, quick chat with a few familiar faces and then off.

It is a damp Friday in London and an uphill start but get through in 3:28 and sitting nicely in a pack, then 2 ks come up on 3:37 so 7:03 and behind the 7 minute target I want to be at. 2 to 3 was hard with a dip and a climb and 3:39 looks Okish but another 2 like that and it that means 18 dead and the next comes in at 3:47, outside 6 minuet pace, so it is a case of recovering what I can from the race and with the first lady closing in I finish with a downhill 3:34 for 18:07 overall.

Not a PB, not sub 18, and it looks like it is just outside 80% WAVA so no real targets achieved but close to quite a few so not disheartened: you can't make PBs happen, all you can do is sow the seeds and nurture it and wait for a good crop.

Nice to see Rob at the end as well, chased me home.

28/06/2013 at 15:14

In other news, daughter #2 just got a 1st at Cambridge. Guess I will have to be a proud Dad for non-running reasons for a few days.

Edited: 28/06/2013 at 15:14
28/06/2013 at 15:15

Well done PMJ. Really nice to see you too. I totally agree about nurturing a PB but it all depends on the day...

I lost too much on the uphill start. I thought the other course around Hyde Park is a bit quicker. My first mile was 10 seconds below target and that set the tone of the rest of the race, finishing in 18:18.

I'm running the Assembly League 5k at Battersea Park next week, so hoping to beat my recent PB of 18:04.

Just building fitness now over the summer until I get the news on my ballot place at the London Marathon. Plan B is a place via the club.

Great to see so many of you running well at the moment.

28/06/2013 at 16:26

Hat doffed to miss PMJ.

Back from the fizz who has told me to lay off pacework or my niggles will become problems. Might have to get back into marathon training.

28/06/2013 at 17:23

Rob, are those Assembly races open or closed to just a collectionof clubs?

Edited: 28/06/2013 at 17:24
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.