Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

28,521 to 28,540 of 37,391 messages
16/07/2013 at 12:40

I don't care what you say, I think I look really tough (goes off to cry in corner) 

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/521453/gallery/tough_mudder2.gif?width=350

16/07/2013 at 13:16
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

, tough is training every day through the winter to run VLM sub 3:15

Sh*t - I'm 48 seconds away from being classed as tough.

16/07/2013 at 13:19

So that is a no from PMJ .

Reading back, some great racing by Jools, Keir, and Frazer, tough out on the Costal for OO and Minni, and epic cycling from Moof and Lorenzo on their tandem. Belated birthday  to Moof. Good to read Gul is building that base

Nothing much going on here at the moment other than some down time, a bit of jogging, and plenty of walking. Visit from the CNBA fairy.

16/07/2013 at 13:33
Minni wrote (see)

, tough is training every day through the winter to run VLM sub 3:15

Sh*t - I'm 48 seconds away from being classed as tough.

And I didn't train every day. Clearly we're all wimps except Keir, who has photographic evidence of toughness.

16/07/2013 at 14:05

We've only got Keir's word for it that that's actually him. Doesn't bear any resemblance to the well groomed bloke I've met!  I reckon he's just downloaded a photo from the official Glastonbury website. 

Minni - anyone who goes running on the Northumberland hills in the middle of winter is tough in my book. And I've seen the way you neck pints!

Rest day yesterday and back on the bike this morning for the 20 mile commute into work. After 6,500 ft of climbing on Sunday, today felt like a stroll in the park.

16/07/2013 at 14:33

I'm sure I have a photo where I'm covered in mud and have the added toughness of blood ozzing out of a knee wound.  If not I'm going to make one.

16/07/2013 at 14:35
Eh! I've just been caught by my boss, looking at grown men covered in mud, cuddling each other.

Not sure what that makes me. I'll start with slightly embarrassed.

Great idea with the tandem, Also-ran.
16/07/2013 at 14:42

Lorenzo in particular I think will be interested in this: 

I received an email a couple of weeks ago from none other than Charlie Spedding inviting me to take part in a research study with Newcastle University: ''Impact of antioxidants on exercise induced oxidative stress in athletes''   Its a four month project which involves lots of eating of blueberries and testing (every two weeks).  As part of it I get a VO2 max test, (I'm going to see if I can also get LT test), ECG, dietary analysis etc.   It starts in a couple of weeks time.   

I told a little white lie when asked about the amount of alcohol I drink so I'm currently drying out.....

16/07/2013 at 14:43

Yes I was just thinking you were a bit of a wimp Minni

Any event that involves mud or obstacles is of zero interest to me. But I know some club members who did it and really enjoy this sort of stuff.  Personal choice I guess.

Gul, they are my wife's poles so I thought it would be a bit more energetic than a morning walk and borrowed them. Apart from feeling self conscious and dreading seeing any of my running pals. they were great fun to use and you can really can shift with a bit of practice.

16/07/2013 at 17:13

Minni: I'd be happy to be force-fed blueberries at someone else's expense in the name of science!

3k at open track race tonight.  Legs are still pretty mashed from Sunday, so should be interesting...

16/07/2013 at 21:34

Good luck Jools.

Is it just blueberries or also other forms of 'super fruit' Minni? I reckon it would be worth it just to get Charlie Speddings signature on his autobiography.

I think sometimes the problem with running / cycling / triathlon is that it is easy to get caught up in racing - either a mate, rival or just trying to beat a course pb. Some of these 'tough' style events are a good alternative where getting round either as an individual or as a team is the objective. Certainly the 2 events I have enjoyed the most this year were the Tough Mudder and the LDWA - both of which I ran round with others rather than trying to get the most out of myself. I also found that after completing both of these events my enthuasim and motivation levels were refreshed.

However I do agree with PMJ about the marketing of 'tough' to the masses and that events like Tough Guy and Tough Mudder charge a premium price for what is just an adults obstacle race. That said, SJs event looks nuts! 

Edited: 16/07/2013 at 21:35
16/07/2013 at 21:36

Minni - I am sooo jealous. Blueberries are well nice, and free testing too. No need to dry out though, surely? Mr Spedding dreamed up his training plan over a pint in the pub. 

16/07/2013 at 21:40

I'll drink to that

16/07/2013 at 22:01

Mud - yes. Obstacles - no. But each to his or her own, so I won't be judgmental. As long as people are out there having fun, who cares what they're called and what people's motivation for taking part is?

Minni - mmm, blueberries. Could definitely be tempted. Can I take part in the test from a distance?

Good luck tonight Jools.

17/07/2013 at 07:25

Stupidly forgot to start my watch and although I tried to do maths in my head from our coach shouting out splits at the 200m point my brain gave up.  I know I went out a bit hard for 10.5x (84s first lap) and suspect I paid the price for that: 11.00.8...  Still a teeny PB (it was 11.01!) but a bit gutted, especially as I had to run in lane 2 for a bit as I was lapped (mixed race).

17/07/2013 at 07:50

skipped my run this morning- 4.5 miles skipped with poles. Getting a bit quicker 13.20 pace today.

Nice PB Jools- just take it

17/07/2013 at 08:02
Keir wrote (see)

Certainly the 2 events I have enjoyed the most this year were the Tough Mudder and the LDWA - both of which I ran round with others rather than trying to get the most out of myself. I also found that after completing both of these events my enthuasim and motivation levels were refreshed.

LDWA and Tough Mudder are as far apart as you can get. I am looking at doing a LDWA marathon this September, http://www.chilternmarathon.org.uk/, and it is £5 in advance, £7 on the day, and includes food and a certificate at the end. May interest AlsoRan.

17/07/2013 at 08:50

Tough talk, guys. Me, I'm a wimp. And PMJ has just reminded me that my car's MOT is due. Oh no, that's DVLA!
OO - I think it was TAR asking about the poles - not that I'm not interested, you understand!
Jools - congrats on the PB. Sub 11 next time.
4 recovery miles d&d.

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 08:52
17/07/2013 at 10:23
Keir wrote (see)

Certainly the 2 events I have enjoyed the most this year were the Tough Mudder and the LDWA - both of which I ran round with others rather than trying to get the most out of myself. I also found that after completing both of these events my enthuasim and motivation levels were refreshed.

LDWA and Tough Mudder are as far apart as you can get. I am looking at doing a LDWA marathon this September, http://www.chilternmarathon.org.uk/, and it is £5 in advance, £7 on the day, and includes food and a certificate at the end. May interest AlsoRan.

Probably not for me in September PMJ - think I am down for Maidenhead HM that weekend.

Talking about events as far apart as you can get, whilst my mind is FUBAR, I may take up a grand stand treadmill at the gym and try a sub 3 marathon while the cricket is on.

Gave up on the chiropractor - wanted to manipulate my jaw so I just decided to run and run

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 10:25
17/07/2013 at 16:56

Hmm.  Have just received notification that, for the half I'm running at the end of next week (which is admittedly a hilly trail one - organised by the same people who did last week's 10k), it will be mandatory to be able to carry 500ml of water, so I'll either have to carry an empty 500ml bottle, a 'donut' or run with a small rucksack.  I kind of get the point, after a guy collapsed at the 10k (presumably due to dehydration) but kind of don't, as it is only a half marathon and there are water stations.  Part of the point of entering a race rather than doing a training run was precisely because then I don't have to carry water for myself!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.