Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

28,581 to 28,600 of 38,218 messages
20/07/2013 at 14:17

Fight, fight, fight!!! Thread showdowns are great fun. Is anyone running a book?

Minni, how mini are the mini Minni's? They sound tiny! Have a great day.

MsE, sorry to hear you're not coming back but... very jealous of your race list, particularly your stint as a Western States pacer, very cool.

Nice hot and sweaty 2hr bike ride at lunchtime. I was channeling Richie Porte up the hills. Cheese pie and a massive cream vanilla slice as recovery snack.  

20/07/2013 at 15:27

Haha SJ they're both bigger than me!!! 

20/07/2013 at 15:51
SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

Fight, fight, fight!!! Thread showdowns are great fun. Is anyone running a book?

Wah! My prediction is Speedy will win the league and I will come second.

20/07/2013 at 15:55

On current form I predict that Literatin will whip my ass. Again. 

20/07/2013 at 16:05
Come on you two, this is all too nice. We want a proper showdown! Where's the rivalry? Where's the fighting talk?
20/07/2013 at 16:14

We're both saving it up for the potential post-victory faux-modest bragging.

20/07/2013 at 17:20

Oh good some smackdown talk on the thread at last. I am sat back in my armchair - please get to it

Decided to run a race I'd paid for a couple of months back - Dorney Dash 10k which I had lost all interest  in doing. This was billed as my target race in a 10k build up which hasn't gone the way I was hoping.  Finished in 37:52 which I am trying to be pleased with, but until a couple of weeks back my training promised a lot more. Too many niggles put pay to any speedwork during the last fortnight, it was pretty humid, and had to carry my 'quit it' thoughts for the first 7K. Luckily physical pain came to visit in km8 which meant something else to focus on. 

On the plus side I gave it a go, hamstring in one piece, and I don't think I was overtaken in the second half so did something right. 

On the downside I really don't like 10ks and will give them a swerve for sometime to come. Achilles rather sore. No more moaning about 10ks / 10k training for the foreseeable future. 

20/07/2013 at 17:24

Dorney on a hot day is tough, AR - been there, done it, got the slightly disappointing finishing time to prove it!  Sounds like you have identified the positives.

20/07/2013 at 20:44

Great running from AR and good news that the hamstring survived.

Also very impressive from Jools - I bumped into a guy from your club at the Little Stoke parkrun this morning and he said he'd send you my regards.

Love the idea of the Speedy / Literatin smackdown - my money's on them crossing the line together in an amazing sprint finish and the officials being unable to separate them.

Minni - v.exciting. I'll be at the Olympic Park for the athletics next weekend but it'll be an amazing experience running in the stadium. Pictures please.

MsE - that's not good enough. You can't have us all getting excited about you coming back and then callously pull the rug on our fun. The only way you can redeem yourself is by securing us complimentary VIP entries for some of the runs on your list.

Slightly disappointing parkrun for me this morning at Little Stoke - on what appeared to be a very flat course I should have gone faster than 19:27 but at least it was a course PB (out of 2 runs there) and a top 10 finish. Am I allowed to blame a combination of the heat and being woken up by my one-year old nephew at 5.30? No, thought not!

20/07/2013 at 20:47

5:30 - that's a lie in Lorenzo! 

20/07/2013 at 21:54
MsE wrote (see)

It would be nice if anyone wanted to plot to join me .  I do miss Brit humour .

I am flying out tomorrow, where do you want to meet up? I am racing New York 5k on Wednesday and then Chicago 10k on Saturday before a transfer to Seattle and a week on the West Coast, still hunting for a race there though.

parkrun this morning, 18:57 on my local slow course where my PB is 18:54 so given the heat I seem to be in fair form and hope that the USA courses may be a bit cooler: they were hot this week but the forecast is cooling down especially for the 10k with a sensible 7am start.

MsE
20/07/2013 at 22:51
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
MsE wrote (see)

It would be nice if anyone wanted to plot to join me .  I do miss Brit humour .

I am flying out tomorrow, where do you want to meet up? I am racing New York 5k on Wednesday and then Chicago 10k on Saturday before a transfer to Seattle and a week on the West Coast, still hunting for a race there though.

parkrun this morning, 18:57 on my local slow course where my PB is 18:54 so given the heat I seem to be in fair form and hope that the USA courses may be a bit cooler: they were hot this week but the forecast is cooling down especially for the 10k with a sensible 7am start.

Dang! (see how I have learnt the local lingo?)   I would love to meet you except we are flying to the UK for a month (hurray!) on Tuesday. I had a little look at the race calendar and there is a very nice race which you could enter which I know is mucho fun and an interesting distance too (well, insofar as it is 6M and therefore guarantees you a PB probably).  Details here (still no idea how to do linky thing):  http://www.wharftowharf.com/

Edited: 20/07/2013 at 22:52
MsE
20/07/2013 at 22:54

... PMJ - don't get too excited, just seen it is full (unless you have a sub-29 10K PB?) Sorry 

21/07/2013 at 11:58

18M for me to bring up 47M for the last 3 days (I did 4 + 11 on Friday and then 14M yesterday morning).  Legs were a bit grizzly for the first 3M (i.e. refusing to go under 8.30m/m!) but then relented and ended up with average of 8.06m/m for the whole lot, very much helped by the fact it stayed cloudy and cool-ish with a bit of a breeze for most of the run.

21/07/2013 at 14:06

3 miles for me in Sorrento heat, then 20 mins swim. Getting fat and quite tanned.

21/07/2013 at 15:38

17 and a bit for me. In the RAIN. Yes, that's right. RAIN. Very nice! 

21/07/2013 at 16:22

Had a great time today. It wasn't a run to go fast - don't know if it was the same last year - it was very crowded, narrow and twisty.  I started about 3/4 way down the red and there were hundreds of slow (some fat) people walking or jogging.  Very few places to get any place to move forward.  

It's a shame a lot of the park seems to be getting pulled apart but the stadium was amazing. We did a lap in an internal tunnel with speakers blasting out commentary of the games and the cheering crowds then Chariots of Fire before entering the stadium. The noise was deafening ... The crowds were on their  feet... I could taste gold..... Ok slight exaggeration but it was still an amazing feeling. My kids had seats on the finishing straight so saw me coming in. Finish time 37.xx   

Although it hadn't felt too hot when running when I finished I started to pour with sweat. It was literally running off my face and body - I have never experienced that before, ever. So I guess it was more humid than it felt.   

I joined the kids and we waited for Mr Minni to come in and all saw him finish in 53.xx, which is nothing short of a miracle! 

21/07/2013 at 16:56

Sounds like a fab day,Minni.  I've managed to get tickets for both days next weekend and am very excited indeed to be going back to the Olympic stadium

21/07/2013 at 18:13

Jealous of Minni and OO.

Impressive mileage Jools. What are you planning to peak at?

9 mile run today taking advantage of having an hour and a quarter to kill in Kendal and followed that up with a solo mile swim in Windermere then a shorter swim with my 10 year old. Very pleasant indeed. Tempted to emigrate to a warm country to get these conditions more often. Beer and Tour combo planned for this evening  

21/07/2013 at 18:21

70 (P&D up to 70mpw 18 week schedule).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.