Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

28,601 to 28,620 of 37,160 messages
17/07/2013 at 19:27

That's really quite bizarre. Sounds like an excuse for (a) not having enough water stations, and (b) not encouraging runners to use their brains and take responsibility. 

On second thoughts, it's not bizarre, it's just p*** poor.

17/07/2013 at 19:54

I wonder if this is going to be something which organisers insurers will insist upon if the temperature rises above a certain point. Perhaps we will all soon be required to run with camel backs.

This does remind me of an amusing moment on Sunday's run when the lady we were with said 'If either of you guys need a drink I have plenty in my bladder'

I wonder if you could get away with a plastic bag in your pocket Jools. After all, if required you could technically carry 500ml of water in it.

17/07/2013 at 20:55

My sentiment precisely Keir, but the alternative is that without such stipulations and grossly risk averse interventions by said insurers they would simply refuse to insure and then we would lose hundreds of events. Doesn't make it right and it is p*** poor without doubt, but in this where there's a blame there's a claim mercenary ambulance chasing culture expect more of the same and races to start getting cancelled during the summer.

I take it they said you must carry a receptacle capable of holding 500ml at all times?

Convalescing quite nicely with a beer presently.

17/07/2013 at 21:28

A friend of mine who has a running shop said that the big thing for next year is squashy water bottles made out of similar stuff to the bladders, so they're not bulky when empty. 

17/07/2013 at 22:06

Minni, I did a half marathon in Africa a few years ago where the temperature peaked at 37c and they had those water sac's that you mention. They are easy to carry and it doesn't affect your form when running. I hardly ever run with water even in this baking sunshine.

Been taking some time out from work in this sunshine and starting to do some semi decent mileage again. 6.5 miles Sat, 10 Sunday, Monday off , yesterday 3 miles up a very steep hill and dip in the sea afterwards and 4 miles tonight at 6:55mm pace in an attempt to shake off last nights red wine and champers. Really enjoyed the run tonight but was baking hot. Forecast is looking great for the next few weeks but tough on racers. 5K race next Tuesday for me. Sister over from Belgium, boy did they get lucky with the weather!

17/07/2013 at 22:59

Surerly they should advise or strongly recommend the water. Or like like the GNR provide a stockpile at the start for those who want. But compulsory sounds daft and unenforcable anyway  

Blisters    pirate
17/07/2013 at 23:12

Evening.
Instead of pratting about on the web I had mentally prepared myself for a decent run. OK at 30 degrees it was never going to be fast, so I decided to make it different. Just 15.5 miles and I took it to the hills. We do have half decent hills in the Cotswolds, my first at mile 3 was 1:5 and was a good half mile long. After that it was a question of finding 1:6 hills for fun. I must find out how much climbing there was, apart from lots. It was only after 14 miles that I suddenly realised that there was a disconnect between HR and effort. Yup, I was starting to overheat. Oh well, what do you expect for 2h30m in the heat?

Out of interest, I took 500ml of water with me, and bought another half litre after 10 miles. That was used up by mile 14 and I would happily have drunk another half litre.

If Jools really doesn't want to carry the weight (which would be a significant percentage vs her body weight), she could take the bottle and tip it out within the first mile.

Blisters    pirate
17/07/2013 at 23:43

Map my run says 935 ft of climbing and 3 officially graded climbs.

18/07/2013 at 08:24

Talking of hilly Cotswold runs Blisters - I'm back in Glos mid August and fancied running this race. Have you run it / do you fancy running it?

18/07/2013 at 08:54
Keir wrote (see)

Perhaps we will all soon be required to run with camel backs. 

I, for one, would certainly get the hump.
Good running from GM and Blisters.
I might have difficulty making the Peterborough HM now, so looking round for alternatives. Grunty Fen (cracking name) is a possibility, except I said that I would be available to preach in the morning - so not sure yet. It's also 5 weeks earlier so that would throw my schedule into chaos. If neither of them work out then I might need to find a HM on a Saturday or try Norwich at the end of November (again not a good day though). Ho hum.
Training continues in any case. 10M @ 6:53 m/m.

18/07/2013 at 10:35

Gul -  You have a great base fitness and seem to be well on target for a sub 90 half. 10 miles @ at 6:53 pace is moving some. You sound ready to me now nevermind November. Hope you find an alternative that suits. With you also on the camel back debate!

18/07/2013 at 12:43

That's a very quick 10 miler Gul- didn't realise you were in such good shape.

I'll be leaving for a week holiday in Sorrento tomorrow- not plan to do much but the kit is packed....and the glasses

18/07/2013 at 13:43

Gul - Please allow me to apologise on behalf of the thread.  Obviously, we've all let ourselves down and, quite frankly, I'm truly embarrassed by our ingratitude.  It's now almost 5 hours since your cute little gag and you still haven't received so much as a smiley face in appreciation. 

I hope that, in time, you'll find it in your heart to forgive us.

Shame your chiropractor was no help, Also-ran.  It's the only thing to have helped me, after 18 months of badness (different chiropractor, obviously).

18/07/2013 at 15:48

Great running Gul.

I was out on my run this morning thinking how no one commented on ARs planned sub 3hr marathon on a treadmill. I'm not sure if I could cope with watching cricket for 3 hours!

18/07/2013 at 16:33

Yes - need a new strategy, as watching some highlights during a 10k easy run with the aircon bust was challenging enough. I am relying on the cricket to zone me out, but perhaps there is some other sport in August that would suit better.

Was a nice pacey 10m from Gul.

TAR - well to be fair I haven't given the chiropractor a proper go. I'm a reluctant cynic, and 6 sessions of jaw fiddling while I eased off the running for a few weeks didn't push the right buttons.  Back to strengthening work for now.

18/07/2013 at 17:00

my pal turned up for a Sunday run recently wearing a camel back, we all took the Mick out of him relenentlessly (no least for the sloshing about noises he was making). Needless to say he hasn't worn it again... 

TR
18/07/2013 at 18:54

Keir - I noted it, I thought (to myself) that AR was injured the other day. But it looks like he cut it short by 20M so fair play to him.

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 18:55
18/07/2013 at 20:25

TR - I think I have some problems communicating with you as I don't talk in match sticks. I've been talking about a long term weakness, and how to address it - not about specific injury.  At the moment I'm running no more than 10 miles per run for a couple of weeks.  Don't worry though, I will be sure to let you know when I'm back to being unsensible burning my matchsticks, and keep you updated on the niggles and injuries on the right side.

TR
18/07/2013 at 20:31

AR - matches not match sticks. You mentioned a treadmill mara, and then Keir did and then I did. I kind of regret mentioning the noting of it now now anyway. Keir and his big mouth !

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 20:34
18/07/2013 at 21:15

no problem - Matches it is. For treadmill marathon that will be in two or three Tests time. Need to invest in multiple waterbottles before hand. 20 miles at a casual pace was hot enough.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.